General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I dont no how much more I can take (stereos anyone)

Search this Thread

Old 19-02-2005 | 04:38 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Default I dont no how much more I can take (stereos anyone)

WITH THIS STUPID FRIGGIN CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok my ful system has been re-wired.....my amp has power but the sub wont work checked to make sure its still connected inside which it is....stereo and speakers work ok WTF can it be???????????

Old 19-02-2005 | 04:51 PM
NEO™ŽŠ
PassionFord Post Troll

have you connected the pre outs to the head unit??? silly question i know
Old 19-02-2005 | 04:51 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Kim,

does your head unit have a separate sub-out ? If so, and assuming you have wired that to the amp, you may need to switch the sub output on, that's how my old alpine works.

Greg
Old 19-02-2005 | 04:53 PM
rs_daz
PassionFord Post Troll

What settings u got on the amp? try turnin the volume up.etc..

U sure u int blown the sub?

Also try getting a mates cars n tryin the sub out in there to make sure it wrks
Old 19-02-2005 | 04:57 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Done all this guys, getting my fella to bring me a diff amp.......don't no what else to try....need to try it in someone elses car - but no-one I know got a system in

The full system worked in my old car........I transfered the lot over to the cossie, but re-wired it with brand new kit - and it aint worked since then, checked al the fuses their ok - im soooo stuck and P***** Off with it!!!!
Old 19-02-2005 | 05:06 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Check in side your sub box one of the wires in there may have actually come off the sub
Old 19-02-2005 | 05:11 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

hey, easy way to check the sub is working.... Disconnect from the amp and wire an AA battery across the sub wires, making/breaking contact on the cable with the battery should make the sub move or "pop", if it doesn't, you know you have a problem with the sub itself, if it works, it's the amp

Trending Topics

Old 19-02-2005 | 05:17 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sub is connected inside checked that

Originally Posted by frog
hey, easy way to check the sub is working.... Disconnect from the amp and wire an AA battery across the sub wires, making/breaking contact on the cable with the battery should make the sub move or "pop", if it doesn't, you know you have a problem with the sub itself, if it works, it's the amp

Cool - Ill try that 2moz - thanks
Old 19-02-2005 | 07:34 PM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

Also check the remote wire from the head unit to the amp. Make sure its live whenever the stereo is on. Some stereos have what looks like an amp remote - but is for electric aerials. So if you use this - the amp will only work when the radio is on - but not tape/cd.

Use a small piece of wire to bridge from the main power connection to the remote connection. If the amp starts to work - the remote wire is ya problem.
Old 19-02-2005 | 07:36 PM
JamesR
Regular Contributor

works with a 9v smoke alarm battery too

I think it may be the earth causing the problem. Have you tried moving it from behind the jack?

Old 19-02-2005 | 07:53 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ye James put in to the actual body of the car between the body and the boot catch thing.....
Old 19-02-2005 | 08:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ok what headunit is it !!!!

theres a AF setting on the headunit that needs to be checked first, will be on face of the stereo, basicly turns on the remote wire to live

also what amp have ya got , need to know that just incase its in protetion mode too

easyest way to sest is to take the amp and sub out the car and go indoors and with the house stereo to the amp input ( assuming ya have seperates, if not then buy some )

wire the remote and the live to the car bat ( ya need that in the hosue too) and the ground to the negative, if it works then ya know there fine and checj ya headunit settings

oh and if its a sony heaunit makesure ya aint wired the amps RCA output to the BUS input for the cd player

usually its either the bus if a sony on the AF button though
Old 20-02-2005 | 09:07 AM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Greg - tried the battery thing - sub works - gonna go borrow my fellas amp got one sat under his bed, so thats todays job!!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
ok what headunit is it !!!!

theres a AF setting on the headunit that needs to be checked first, will be on face of the stereo, basicly turns on the remote wire to live

also what amp have ya got , need to know that just incase its in protetion mode too

easyest way to sest is to take the amp and sub out the car and go indoors and with the house stereo to the amp input ( assuming ya have seperates, if not then buy some )

wire the remote and the live to the car bat ( ya need that in the hosue too) and the ground to the negative, if it works then ya know there fine and checj ya headunit settings

oh and if its a sony heaunit makesure ya aint wired the amps RCA output to the BUS input for the cd player

usually its either the bus if a sony on the AF button though
Its a kenwood stereo - my fella says all of the above is ok (I personally have no idea wat all that is, not a stereo person lol )

My amp is on of them JBL huge orange things!!! My sub a 1000wat JBL.....I'll go try this other amp and see if that works if not - will see if I can speak nicely to my mate - or even take it to a stereo shop - I need it working I hate having no bass (oh ye and i blew all my speakers turning it up too loud lol )

Old 20-02-2005 | 09:16 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

take the rca'a outa the other amp and put em into your sub amp . (with the sub connected) if you get full range comin outa ur sub then its a signal lead problem .
one word of advice if you havnt allready done it . make sure all amps / signal devices are earthed to the same point with a similar length and size cable .
Old 20-02-2005 | 10:21 AM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Its my amp - but dont no wats up with it - it has power just no output
Old 20-02-2005 | 06:41 PM
JamesR
Regular Contributor

May sound daft but, try using the earth and lives straight from the battery. I have had bad earths before causing problems. ie it powered it up but it didnt have enough kick to work the sub. easiest way would be to check the earth with a multimeter tho.???

Didnt it work fine in the Onion tho?? and nothing else has changed.

You didnt drop the amp in the toilet like you did with the Pioneer front did you??? LMAO

Old 20-02-2005 | 07:13 PM
Matt.A
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Check your fuses in the amp, asl check the filters and gains, maybe you have the gain turned on min.

When the sub is connected to your amp, even though there is no sound, rest your hand on the sub to see if you can feel it moving.
Old 20-02-2005 | 07:15 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Get a multimeter onto the remote wire going into the amp!
Old 20-02-2005 | 07:34 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

You didnt drop the amp in the toilet like you did with the Pioneer front did you??? LMAO

Now aint you a funny git!!!! LMAO Id forgot about that....it still worked dint it!!!!

Will try all of this thanks - nicked my fellas for the time being, and al is working fine so definatly the amp........