General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Some questions for Focus Cosworth owners/builders

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
ibrooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions for Focus Cosworth owners/builders

I've been reading through nugnah's (spelling) build thread with interest after spotting the similar shell for sale on fleabay (2 + 2 says it's from the same source - Dingla/Andy?) but I've a nasty feeling my engine won't fit. I'm interested in it to transfer the guts of my V6 4x4 Sierra with the addition of a Scorpio Cosworth BOA lump. Looking at the pics on page 5 it looks pretty snug around the back of the head with a YB - I'm thinking the rear face of the V6 is going to be in about the same vertical plane but wider and that bulge on the passenger side of the Focus bulkhead will clash with the back of the passenger side cylinder head.

Anyone any ideas of the comparison between the rear end of the two engines as fitted to a Sierra that can confirm or deny this as a problem?

Does that bulge in the bulkhead serve much purpose or could it be removed to make the bulkhead flatter further towards the passenger wing? (I've never looked much at a Focus before now as the engine is connected to the wrong set of wheels).

Wiring - is there any particular reason to use the Focus loom? From experience of modern cars the looms carry a hell of a lot of un-necessary wires and plugs. I can use a generic kit-car loom for the basics and add extra wiring for the odd additional toys like electric windows etc far easier than digging through the Ford spaghetti. The Focus clocks likely couldn't be made to work with a 6-cyl engine anyway so I'd probably go with a set of seperate "Smiths" style gauges in a modified binnacle.

Brake master cylinders - do you have to use the "ABS" one from a Sierra? Would the standard vacuum servo and master fit? (I'm actually thinking more of the bigger 25mm one from the Sierra with discs all-round but no ABS since that's what I currently have).

Thanks in advanc for any answers folks.

Iain
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the shell on ebay isn't converted yet....... both engines go in a sierra so i guess it would take much to go boa if thats what you want.
why remove all the electrics for windows etc then add it back in?? leave focus loom and wire engine seperately like most do....cossie is only 4 wires IIRC.
You can make the servo fit if thats what route you want to take.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
ibrooks

Think you're looking at a different shell - it's definitely got a Sierra floorpan.

The bulkhead on the conversions is part Sierra and part Focus and it's the Focus part that I think will get in the way of the engine so it's not guaranteed that theengine will fit just because it will go in a Sierra.

There's no loom in there so I'm not going to be taking anything out to put it back in just looking for a simpler loom to start with and less potential for confusion and possible problems.

As for the servo - I know anything CAN be made to fit. What I wanted to knowfrom people who have these is whether they reckon the conventional servo and master will fit. It looks to me like theservo might hit the inner wing and the master might hit the strut tower.

Iain
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
GINGExR2 T
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it this one????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/focus-cosw...item3cbdb84bc5

Ginger
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the only issues you will have are on the passenger side as that bits not been moved across, you can see in the inside pictures
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep i was looking at a different shell, sorry bud
Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 AM
ibrooks

That's the car I was looking at.

I'm thinking that bulge could relatively easily be flattened off but would have liked an opinion from people who have one they could look at or even maybe provide pictures of. I'm not sure what it's actually for - I'm thinking from limited research that it might be related to the heater.

I did ask questions through ebay and he just replied that you can fit a V8 in the engine bay - again I know with enough effort or fabrication work you could fit almost anything in there. I was just hoping for some more specific info. I'm also wondering what the space is like side to side since I would have an exhaust on both sides and the engine is wider than the YB that most people fit.

Shame I didn't spot it in time to arrange to go and have a look at it. I'll maybe try for some answers again if it doesn't sell. I've just taken a deposit on the 200 tonight which means I've got the room.

Don't suppose there's a car similar enough for me to look at and get some ideas as to the answers in the North-West (Blackburn) that an owner would let me come and nosey at is there?

Iain