General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Dynamics rolling roads, still available?

Search this Thread

Old 30-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dyno Dynamics rolling roads, still available?

I remember reading that Dyno Dynamics were in the hands of the receivers, but are they still trading?

A friend of mine is considering buying a 4wd rolling road and was asking me for advice on which one to go for as he knows I have used various ones over the years and I want to recomend the Dyno Dynamics based on my experience of them but have no idea if they are still available or not?

Assuming that are still available new, does anyone know how much one comes in at a month on a 5 year lease? Or what the new outright purchase cost is just so I can give him some ballpark figures to work from?
Old 30-10-2011, 12:12 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not worth just getting in touch Mike Gurney?
Old 30-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Its only a case of getting some vague info for the guy at this stage, he's not sure if he wants to proceed or not, so just some ballpark numbers would help in the consideration, but its not a serious enough enquiry to be worth disturbing mike with yet really.

Last edited by Chip; 30-10-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 30-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably very little help, but I remember when Martin Hadland was rekitting the Reyland rolling road he was paying ~40k for his 4wheel DD... ?
Old 30-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Chip

Yeah martin would be a good person to get input from im sure
My friend would sooner do a lease purchace scheme with maintaince included etc if possible though TBH rather than buy.

Last edited by Chip; 30-10-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 30-10-2011, 04:50 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

They are very much still trading.

But if cost is flexible, go for a Mainline. Especially if there is diagnostic work going on.
I think Gerry Gaffney up in Scotland is now their dealer here ( formerly Dastek dealer )

Always info and for sale's here too

http://efi101.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29
Old 30-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Chip give me a call, DD are still trading and Mike G isn't the UK supplier any longer.
Old 30-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
They are very much still trading.

But if cost is flexible, go for a Mainline. Especially if there is diagnostic work going on.
I think Gerry Gaffney up in Scotland is now their dealer here ( formerly Dastek dealer )

Always info and for sale's here too

http://efi101.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29
I believe thats the company that a guy I know from ages back called Russ Patton works for, Dyno Dynamics makes more sense commercially though as its pretty much the accepted standard down here, so going for anything else might make it harder to find people wanting to use it, especially in some of the cliquey circles.
Old 30-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
Chip give me a call, DD are still trading and Mike G isn't the UK supplier any longer.
Thanks Martin.

Will drop you a PM about when is best to call you and what number on etc.
Old 30-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

No because he quit 6 months ago. They were still tradeing a few days ago thats for sure.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:09 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Chip
I believe thats the company that a guy I know from ages back called Russ Patton works for, Dyno Dynamics makes more sense commercially though as its pretty much the accepted standard down here, so going for anything else might make it harder to find people wanting to use it, especially in some of the cliquey circles.
Depends why he's buying it.

As a tool for mostly tuning only, a tool to rent out to others, a tool for tuning/diagnostics for his own workshop etc, a tool for dyno days.

Obviously he needs to decide what it will be used for, and which is the best value or most suitable.

Mainline arent as common in the UK or US yet, but they are massive in Australia and growing in other parts of the world.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:25 PM
POLARIS ESCOS
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When car planet went tits up the dd rolling road was sold for 10k and collected the same day That would have been a bargain as it wasn't all that old
Old 30-10-2011, 07:31 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by POLARIS ESCOS
When car planet went tits up the dd rolling road was sold for 10k and collected the same day That would have been a bargain as it wasn't all that old
And given their history, they probably didnt even own it to sell.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Chip

Stevie, it would be just to rent out to others to use, like Surrey rolling road operates.
Old 30-10-2011, 08:14 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Stevie, it would be just to rent out to others to use, like Surrey rolling road operates.
DD or similar would make the most sense then.

Check out EFI101, as used dynos come up for sale from time to time. Including some in the UK.
Old 31-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Chip

Current retail price apparently is Ł70,500 + VAT

Little more than I had guessed at TBH, I could have sworn they were more like Ł60K all in, but perhaps that price is a few years out of date now!
Old 31-10-2011, 02:55 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike is working on his own RR project at the moment after DD did the dirty on him...

Steve
Old 31-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Chip

Trouble is, people looking to hire a set of rollers, are generally only interested in DD

So even if you have a good product, its just not what people will be looking for, so commerically its very much the name to tag your business onto.

Bit like if i was going to do a tool franchise I would want it to be snap-on even though other tools are fine too.

If you were to charge 10 pounds an hour less to try and get same amount of business on a non dyno dynamics rollers, then based on 20 hours a week average utilisation over a 5 year period, thats 50K you'd be down on revenue anyway

Last edited by Chip; 31-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 31-10-2011, 05:47 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Current retail price apparently is Ł70,500 + VAT

Little more than I had guessed at TBH, I could have sworn they were more like Ł60K all in, but perhaps that price is a few years out of date now!
Dont forget prices are closely linked and usually quoted in US$

And we know how wonderful the Ł is doing there.
Old 31-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Chip

According to the lady at dyno dynamics, thats 5K less than a couple of weeks ago, lol

I believe its the AUS$ its linked to not the US one?
Old 31-10-2011, 05:53 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

According to the lady at dyno dynamics, thats 5K less than a couple of weeks ago, lol

I believe its the AUS$ its linked to not the US one?
I got quotes a few years ago from Dynapack and Mainline. Both quoted prices in US$ despite the fact both are made in Aus/NZ

TBH, he would be better buying a good brand, and creating an excellent dyno facility. Rather than just concentrating on the brand of dyno.
The overall facility is more important.

Plenty of people operating dyno's of various makes successfully. Get the marketing right, the facility and an operator that know how to use it, and it should work.
Old 31-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Chip

The difference in price to other dynos isnt really enough to make the cost prohibitive IMHO if its easier to market.

If you have to spend longer building a decent brand etc for your own facility because you cant market it with the latest must have dyno name, thats all money lost that quickly eats into your savings on the dyno itself, and all that time you are paying an operator to stand around doing nothing, the floorspace is costing you money either in rent or it not using it for other things etc, so im not sure that its quite as clear cut a decision as you make out. Having a dyno that will essentially sell itself, is a good thing to put in a business plan IMHO when you need to be operating at a profit sooner rather than later.

Not my decision though thankfully, lol!

Will certainly feedback your info to him too
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

if you want the best then you need AVL equipment, certainly blows DD stuff out of the water......but you need to pay!!!

i can give you the number of our business accounts manager at AVl but i think they may be a little over budget
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Chip

AVL make some good products, but actually I beg to differ that for the sort of market discussed here, they dont offer anything which would be benefical to have versus a AWD 450DS from dyno dynamics, if I was given the choice of having any dyno given to me for free (ie ignoring cost implications)

What specific AVL product do you think is better for allowing people to map their own customer cars on and dyno dyno shootouts than a AWD 450S then mate?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
johnny99
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does DD stack up against MAHA and Dastek. A friend of mine has a MAHA and believes it to be a far better machine

John
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Chip

Personally I believe that all the modern setups are pretty capable, but DD does seem to be the "industry standard" at the moment, possibly deservedly or possibly not.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny99
How does DD stack up against MAHA and Dastek. A friend of mine has a MAHA and believes it to be a far better machine

John
Everyone thinks the dyno they own is better than any other brand
Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by SiZT
Everyone thinks the dyno they own is better than any other brand
Agreed on that!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If there's not much difference between the prices and specs then he should go for a DD as it's what everyone rates at the moment, however, like Steve said if there is a big difference then I would concentrate on the dyno room.

On another note, do you think DD's popular over here solely because of the product or because of the product and Mike Gurney? It'd be nice to hear peoples opinions as DD's aren't popular in America compared to Mustangs/Dynapacks/Dynojets
Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Chip

I think that it was the first genuinely good dyno that people over here started commonly seeing, so it became the accepted standard by default. And that will now be hard for others to compete against, even though mainline etc are just as good a product im sure.

Im sure if mainline had some big high profile sales early on, it would be them instead by now that everyone viewed as the standard.

Interestingly, dyno dynamics have just launched a new "dynotech" rolling road which is a 2wd offering thats a lot cheaper than the normal 2wd one they do.

Current prices are:
Dynotech 2wd = 25K + VAT
Normal 2wd = 41K + VAT
Normal 4wd = 70.5K + VAT

The dynotech looks a genuinely good option, very similar specs but a lot cheaper, includes same software and even the same retarder as its big brother.
downside is it cant be upgraded to 4wd.
Will still do 1200bhp for power runs, and 600bhp for held state though, so still a very powerful bit of kit.

For what my mate is after, I'd say the dynotech looks like a very affordable way to get the dyno dynamics name on board to rent the rollers out (he's interested in offering a dyno facility rather than mapping services), even if it does cut out some potential customers by being on 2wd, not sure if he'll want that compromise or not.

Would be a good way to test the water, before deciding on making the larger investment!

Last edited by Chip; 01-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 20-11-2011, 10:32 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

http://efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7554&highlight=
Old 21-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Chip

Shows they do come up from time to time.

Shame it doesnt list a price though.
Old 21-11-2011, 08:48 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Shows they do come up from time to time.

Shame it doesnt list a price though.
Not every advert does. I'm sure anyone who is serious knows roughly what they are worth, and will have no problem contacting the vendor
Old 21-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Chip

Not every advert does. I'm sure anyone who is serious knows roughly what they are worth, and will have no problem contacting the vendor
Agreed, bit soon for my mate for this particular one as he is thinking about mid to end of next year, but certainly something worth considering looking out for similar nearer the time, especially as since talking to dyno dynamics we've found that the warranty isnt really especially worth having anyway TBH, so secondhand might be less of a handicap than we first thought.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:21 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Always worth asking anyway.

Sometimes the right thing does come up at the right price, even if it isnt quite the right time.

It would be silly not to ask. If even to get an assessment of what people are asking second hand.

Although a lease deal on a new unit may be another option. Most of the places do fairly decent finance deals dont they ?
Old 21-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Chip

Always worth asking anyway.

Sometimes the right thing does come up at the right price, even if it isnt quite the right time.

It would be silly not to ask. If even to get an assessment of what people are asking second hand.

Although a lease deal on a new unit may be another option. Most of the places do fairly decent finance deals dont they ?
My mate needs to sort out some issues around opening hours and noise etc before he can be sure if he can proceed or not (his garage is in a relatively residential area) and would be foolish to spend any money before taking care of that side of things.
I dont like wasting peoples time if not intending to buy but I suppose just asking the price wouldnt do any harm.

Lease options dont really seem to be there, on the dyno dynamics for example the company themselves dont lease, they just put you in contact with a company that do HP on it, and TBH its so expensive it would make more sense to lend him the money myself at that sort of interest rate (nearly 20%!)
Old 21-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

I have been offerd a Dastek one just decideding if its worth it.

Mark
Old 21-11-2011, 08:22 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Pretty sure Mainline do lease options. At least they did a few years ago

http://www.mainlineauto.com.au/products/products.htm
Old 22-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Chip

Pretty sure Mainline do lease options. At least they did a few years ago

http://www.mainlineauto.com.au/products/products.htm
Christ, for a high tech company thats a fucking shite website, I've seen better sites about people's petcats

Cheers for the tip on leases though, will have a word with Russ Patton at some point as know he is involved with mainline.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Chip

Just thought I would update this thread to mention that Mike now is involved with a different dyno company:

http://www.dynodevelopments.co.uk/

TBH, looks easily a match for anything dyno dynamics has to offer based on spec, and I would assume that with Mike's history he is going to make sure its as good or better a product to want to be involved, and I believe they are a fair bit cheaper too, even than the dynotech range.
So it will be interesting to see where the industry goes next, as from what Ive found out about these so far it looks like it might shake things up a bit.

Think I might have a word with Mike about where the best place is for me to get onto one and do a bit of tuning and see how well they work, although our plans to buy a dyno are on hold currently anyway.

Quick Reply: Dyno Dynamics rolling roads, still available?