General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

will a car only run with 3 pistons in :S

Search this Thread

Old 13-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a car only run with 3 pistons in :S

basicaly got a fiesta cheap and one of the pistons packed up...the bloke says he has removed the piston and rod and the cars runs but quite bumpy...is this possible ? :S

Thanks
Old 13-10-2011, 09:41 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Can it run? Probably, just don't ask how.
I have seen engines with a large hole in one of the pistons and they were still running (more or less).
Old 13-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I would imagine it would run but very badly, but why go to the trouble of stripping it down and then building it back up with a rod and piston missing? Is say he's talking shit personally.
Old 13-10-2011, 10:08 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i wouldnt think it would run?, imagine trying to start the thing from cold. Sounds like bullshit to me, but i await to be corrected!

even if it did run, surely the engine would be completely unbalanced and shake itself to death? cant see it lasting long. unless he's removed the injector too, all the fuel would just fill up the sump eventually

my bro in laws transit had a cracked piston before he got it rebuilt and that was a pig to start and was so rough with clouds of smoke out the back
Old 13-10-2011, 10:21 AM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

Default running with a cylinder missing

i think it would
when the learner motorcycle law changed from riding a 250 on l plates to riding only a 125
there was a load of conversions brought out for the lads who just brought a 250 and now couldn t ride it
the kit comprised of a piston with no top on , and a blanking plate to remove the carburettor.
obviously the bikes involved were twin cylinders
Old 13-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

It's a 1.1 mk3 so carbed....the engine will be coming out when I can get it home so doesn't matter about damage etc...he said he drove it but it was bumpy but made the journey
Old 13-10-2011, 11:06 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Well as much of a wind up this could be.... Prehaps you need to consider the valves opening into what would be the sump if there was no piston present! not only would this make the engine breathe very heavy as the exhuast from the manifold would be exposed to the crankcase, the inlet would also suffer, the car would be very blue due to oil ingress. And inlet vacuum would be down considerably. Prehaps if the rockers were removed so the valves never opened it would run fine.
Old 13-10-2011, 12:16 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chaffe
Well as much of a wind up this could be.... Prehaps you need to consider the valves opening into what would be the sump if there was no piston present! not only would this make the engine breathe very heavy as the exhuast from the manifold would be exposed to the crankcase, the inlet would also suffer, the car would be very blue due to oil ingress. And inlet vacuum would be down considerably. Prehaps if the rockers were removed so the valves never opened it would run fine.
I agree with all of this.

Especially the wind up bit
Old 13-10-2011, 04:04 PM
jasper jones
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

My grandfarther did tell me years ago about some high mileage cars that were used as taxis,that had a piston gone (6 cylinder engines).What they used to do was take the sump off and pull the piston and con rod out the bottom,turn the big end shells round and tie them onto the crank with a hose clip (so to keep oil pressure) Then remove the rockers (so the valves would stay closed) The drivers would carry on using them for some time like that
Old 13-10-2011, 05:29 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could install Water Injection, it would probably sort this issue out.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 13-10-2011, 05:50 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
You could install Water Injection, it would probably sort this issue out.

Cheers,
Grant

As said, he's either a complete mongoloid or he's talking shit.....

Chances of piston coming out the bottom in one piece is unlikely (not impossible) so it may have come out in peices, which means it would probably have damaged the bore...Oil pressure, crankcase pressure, valves opening (unless he removed rockers) and yes it would run, but how well depends on what he's done and not done...worst case scenario its pishing fuel into the sump, breathing heavily, low oil pressure.....

wallllk awaaaaay

P.s. In answer to your original Question:
will a car only run with 3 pistons in :S

Errr, no usually cars can run on all pistons, not just 3

Last edited by vroooom ptssssh; 13-10-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 13-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh

As said, he's either a complete mongoloid or he's talking shit.....

Chances of piston coming out the bottom in one piece is unlikely (not impossible) so it may have come out in peices, which means it would probably have damaged the bore...Oil pressure, crankcase pressure, valves opening (unless he removed rockers) and yes it would run, but how well depends on what he's done and not done...worst case scenario its pishing fuel into the sump, breathing heavily, low oil pressure.....

wallllk awaaaaay

P.s. In answer to your original Question:

Errr, no usually cars can run on all pistons, not just 3
The rockers have been removed...it does run but lumpy ...the car will be stripped and for 100 quid its a good project...its an old couple who have tje car not no young lads
Old 13-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

if your going to be throwing the engine in the bin then go for it.

it will drive but like a bag of shit so hopefully you wont have to go far!

report back here with pics!

i personally would offer Ł50 and drive it straight to the scrappers and weigh it in for Ł200 lol
Old 13-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Fudgey
if your going to be throwing the engine in the bin then go for it.

it will drive but like a bag of shit so hopefully you wont have to go far!

report back here with pics!

i personally would offer Ł50 and drive it straight to the scrappers and weigh it in for Ł200 lol
Been looking for a mk3 for while so going for it just wanted opinions on to attempt to drive or not...old man.whose selling is gonna follow behind just incase...scrappers down.here give ya 120 most for cars mates weighed couple in and that all they off3rd
Old 13-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

will you be putting a different engine in, and how far do you have to go?

as if petrol is going into the oil, its going to screw the bearings, followers, all moving parts basically
Old 13-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

I read somewhere a while back about a guy in america who went to the speed week at the bonneville salt flats with his beetle.

After he had ran it with all 4 pistons, he would remove 2 and go again with just two pistons.

I'm sure it was in EVO magazine a few years ago but I can't find anything on the net about it.

Gavin.
Old 13-10-2011, 07:59 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

lol it would have no oil pressure with a rod missing what a lemon
Old 13-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

thats why i was asking how far he has to go lol and post pics of the result
Old 13-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

thats why i was asking how far he has to go lol and post pics of the result
Yeah diffrent engine will be going in lol...about 40 miles ...Il get pics up on Saturday if it makes it back ha
Old 13-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by Gibbo87
Yeah diffrent engine will be going in lol...about 40 miles ...Il get pics up on Saturday if it makes it back ha
40 miles! i hope you have AA cover! (or RAC lol)
Old 13-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

40 miles! i hope you have AA cover! (or RAC lol)
Err nope just a tow rope lol...might be less miles ...still got couple days yet so might find a trailer by then
Old 13-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I bet it would smoke a bit too.
Old 13-10-2011, 09:38 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

if it is done properly, then of course it could run on 3 cylinders. No different than how it would run if you pulled a plug lead off.

It may run like fuck all, but yes it could be made to run. And if you think such things never happen, they bloody well do !!

A friend bought a car from Auction in Scotland once. Omega 2.5td not running properly. Easy fix he thought for a few quid.

Until it was discovered some cunt at removed a rod/piston, welded the oil hole in the crank so it wouldnt be chucking everywhere. And blocked up the injector so it wasnt squirting fuel in.

Dont recall what they did with the valves, but think they use rockers, so again an easy "remove"

Wasnt he sick when he discovered that !!!

Understandable from whoever sold it. That 2.5 BMW td engine is a total piece of shit.
Old 14-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Ohwel there is only one way to find out I guess
Old 14-10-2011, 03:20 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Would it not just be easier and more sensible to weigh it in for scrap ?
Old 14-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Would it not just be easier and more sensible to weigh it in for scrap ?
Could do...but as i said its for a project and I like the mk3s with the small bumpers instead of the usual rs/xr
Old 14-10-2011, 03:40 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Thats fair enough. But if there really is a piston removed, then the engine is for the bin. Just fit something better
Old 14-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Yeah thats my plan when.its home...people want to much to tow it home so its got to he driven...just wanted to no if it would drive like it as I've never heard of it before...but Il no tomoz as the journey will hopefuly begin
Old 14-10-2011, 05:58 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is done properly, then of course it could run on 3 cylinders. No different than how it would run if you pulled a plug lead off.

It may run like fuck all, but yes it could be made to run. And if you think such things never happen, they bloody well do !!

A friend bought a car from Auction in Scotland once. Omega 2.5td not running properly. Easy fix he thought for a few quid.

Until it was discovered some cunt at removed a rod/piston, welded the oil hole in the crank so it wouldnt be chucking everywhere. And blocked up the injector so it wasnt squirting fuel in.

Dont recall what they did with the valves, but think they use rockers, so again an easy "remove"

Understandable from whoever sold it. That 2.5 BMW td engine is a total piece of shit.
lol thats quite funny, how pissed off would you be to take the sump off and find no piston rod!

I did hear a few years back of a petrol v8 land rover that went into the dealer for warranty work after only a few days of being new, it went in cos of knocking noise and missfire. only to be traced to there being 8 rods and only 7 pistons!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14-10-2011, 06:06 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol thats quite funny, how pissed off would you be to take the sump off and find no piston rod!

I did hear a few years back of a petrol v8 land rover that went into the dealer for warranty work after only a few days of being new, it went in cos of knocking noise and missfire. only to be traced to there being 8 rods and only 7 pistons!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Well its home...had to leave dipstick out and oil cap as kept blowing them out...did about 20 miles till it chucked oil out then had no power when got hot...towed rest of way after that. Still runs like it would with 3 cylinders just don't like being hot ...Il try get pics up soon
Old 15-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

im sorry to sound like a old cunt,,,,,, but you drove a car that you know had a piston missing as you couldbt be bothered to arrange it to be towed and no regard for other road users with this car spitting out oil and prob smoking all over the place no doubt

makes you wonder what other things people are willing to ignore in order to save a couple of quid,,,,,,,, wont even get on the fact is 12 quid a month to join the AA for a policy that will tow you to anywhere of your choice but its a much better idea driving a car that is clearly dangerous and not in a road legal state
Old 16-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Gibbo87
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
im sorry to sound like a old cunt,,,,,, but you drove a car that you know had a piston missing as you couldbt be bothered to arrange it to be towed and no regard for other road users with this car spitting out oil and prob smoking all over the place no doubt

makes you wonder what other things people are willing to ignore in order to save a couple of quid,,,,,,,, wont even get on the fact is 12 quid a month to join the AA for a policy that will tow you to anywhere of your choice but its a much better idea driving a car that is clearly dangerous and not in a road legal state
How did it put other road users at risk....did you.not read my last post....it got towed after so many miles...clearly you had nothing better todo last night...
Old 16-10-2011, 10:13 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

same thing happened to my brother, bought a car and it wasn't great on power or fuel. was cheap so thought nothing of it and would get it sorted soon. he took it to a garage and got a compression test done, further investigation showed no piston or rod in cyl no.4.
injector plug was undone, followers removed and jubilee clips holding shells to crank.

to be fair if it wasn't down on power and poor on fuel consumption, you would never have known.

car was scrapped, can be done safely, but engines come up cheap often, so replace if it's worth it.
Old 16-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Icurus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

This reminds me of an article in Practical mechanics, I think, Cades garage?

They had a V12 engined car come in, and the owner wanted the rough idle sorting.

Turned out he had 'converted' the V12 to a V6 to save on fuel by removing the rods, pistons and jubilee'ing the shells to the crank ect

Not sure if all those Cade's articles where true, but I think they have some grains of truth to them
Old 16-10-2011, 01:10 PM
stu170
PassionFord Regular

There is a bloke who lives over the road from me. nice chap but doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good story. he once told me that his old bsa bike broke down on the way home from work. After some investigating it turned out a piston had cracked in half.
i thought he had done well to work this out on the road side but it got better. he then using a penknife made a new piston with a bit of hawthorn hedge.
i just had to walk away
Old 19-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

intresting read
Old 20-10-2011, 08:36 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stu170
There is a bloke who lives over the road from me. nice chap but doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good story. he once told me that his old bsa bike broke down on the way home from work. After some investigating it turned out a piston had cracked in half.
i thought he had done well to work this out on the road side but it got better. he then using a penknife made a new piston with a bit of hawthorn hedge.
i just had to walk away
brilliant story!!
Old 20-10-2011, 02:55 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Ive done 42000 miles with only three cylinders, and they will be taking me home in half an hour too! no problem at all in my opinion. 1.4 polo tdi all the way
Old 20-10-2011, 03:12 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

whats the mpg like on them engines chaffe?

Quick Reply: will a car only run with 3 pistons in :S