General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

When is a stolen car not a stolen car

Search this Thread

Old 21-09-2011, 10:14 PM
cossieracer
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry When is a stolen car not a stolen car

I myself has had their car stolen. I know who has it but as of yet it has still not been recovered and returned to me the person who holds what is called "Good Title" I have learned that a thief cannot pass on "Good Title" so any subsequent owners of the stolen vehicle cannot pass on "Good Title" and so when the car is recovered it is to be returned to the person that last held "GOOD TITLE" Please may I ask the law enforcers that are members of this site if they would kindly PM me to enlighten me on the law and how I may possibly get my car back I would really appreciate it. My car has been passed on several times now and in each incident where a police officer has attended the new keeper they have said that they have bought it as a doer upper, yet most people who know me and the car will know that only the very best upgrades etc etc has been used/spent on the car and I used to go to many shows and have many photos to show that this car was anything but a doer upper but this seems to be the words "doer upper" that keeps the police from seizing the car. I am not alone and have found many others on the Internet that are in the same position. So how come some cars are seized and returned to it's rightful owner yet others are not. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. I am going out of my mind with this as I am sure any of you guys would be if it happened to you. Please help I REALLY MISS MY COSSIE. I still have all the documents the original V5 my purchase receipt bought it outright and all the service history with invoices plus all the replacement parts and upgrade invoices which are to the value of £30,000 (no doer upper) all the old MOT's in fact I have every document and there are lots from 1996 to 2008. The very sad thing is the person who had/has it now claims to have the same which I can assure you doesn't as we both can't have it right?? I can produce it and can assure you he can't please, please, please will somebody help thank you

Last edited by cossieracer; 21-09-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added a little more text
Old 21-09-2011, 10:25 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

i dont get it mate
Old 21-09-2011, 10:28 PM
cossieracer
Part of the Furniture

what don't you get??
Old 21-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

surely if its reported stolen the police have to act???
Old 21-09-2011, 10:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

you own a car

your car gets stolen

the car then gets ringed

and sold on

this seller can lose the car if it's found out unless they repay the insurance company if it's had a pay out on it, unlikely as you wouldn't want to be twice for the same stolen car

if this seller then sells it on, the next buyer is free of any repercussions and can keep the car

happened to a few mates of mine on more than one occasions, biggest loss was £3k when he bought a ringer, but i told him it was a ringer when he went to see it and he still spent money on it so it's his own stupid fault when the old bill came and relived him of it two weeks later
Old 21-09-2011, 10:36 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Ahhh i see so its been rung
Old 21-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
if this seller then sells it on, the next buyer is free of any repercussions and can keep the car
its still a ringer so is not legal......
Old 21-09-2011, 10:42 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

been there done that, it's been sold as a legit car so the police can't do anything other than change the plates on it as they can't ascertain it's original history or something

but you still get to keep the car
Old 21-09-2011, 11:05 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by boothy
i dont get it mate
Me neither, this long winded post neither seems to get to the point nor give us any useful info....

Considering one definition of intelligence is to use as many words as possible to convey the least amount of information, I recon this guy is a fucking genius.
Old 21-09-2011, 11:17 PM
cossieracer
Part of the Furniture

Firstly the car has not been ringed that I know for sure. I had it insured for £19000 at the time but did not want to claim the insurance as I wanted it back I was the second owner of the car with 6000miles on the clock. I have spent a huge amount of money on it and quite frankly it was my hobby, my pride and joy and hoped to have it till the end of time so didn't want the insurance money. Firstly I traced it on EBay and when I was convinced it was mine I called Doug Stirling who agreed yep definitely my car. I then mailed the guy on EBay asked him about the cars history and why he was selling it, to which he came back and said he bought it years ago and had bought it as a doer upper but he needed the money and his wife made him put it up for sale. So straight away I thought great keep the mail (evidence) on account I have owned this car for then the past 12 years I then got my brother to arrange to view it. The eBay seller wanted to meet at a service station on the M5 I then called the police in Somerset who said "nothing to do with them call the police from where it was stolen
south Glos" which I did but by the time they got their backsides in gear it was too late. Eventually it was traced on again and the person wh had it was told that they were not to use it sell it or dispose of it. They said again they bought it as a doer upper (but if you guy trace back all the threads of cossieracer and Doug Stirling you will find that it was anything but a doer upper in fact on one of Dougs threads he remarks what a really nice cossie it was. When I contacted the police last they assured me that the car was not being used by their instructions yet I found it on another web site with pics (clearly not the case) Sadly for me the sergeant dealing with it I had a bit of history with so alas it became personal and I haven't managed to get passed him hence no step forward. I have now contacted my MP in desperation and am awaiting his reply. Other people I now know of this happening to them have in some cases been told it is a civil matter, but how can it become a civil matter when you are given a crime reference number ie a crime turn into a civil matter. I have done quite slot of research and the one thing I know categorly is that a theif cannot pass on what is called good title so any subsequent purchasers of a stolen car have absolutely no rights to it and the car should be returned to the person it was stolen from. Yes in some cases it is sad for the victim who buys the car but let's face it what honest buyer would buy a car like a cossie or any car for that fact that has no receipts of any kind for the last 12 years like nothing no old MOT's no service history bills no receipts for all the upgrades and there are lots all the work was done at interpro nothing. I for sure wouldn't touch it. Ok maybe the guy selling it to me was legit but where is all the paper work??? Sadly my case has a stumbling block with this SGT, ok yes he's done the basics ie got the police in the county where it is to go along and tell the present keeper not to sell it use it, alter it or dispose it which clears him with any come backs but then has ceased to do anything else about it leaving everything in limbo, yet the person who has it now is still using it. I am so frustrated with the whole thing I just want what belongs to me, my car
Old 21-09-2011, 11:18 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by MadMac
Me neither, this long winded post neither seems to get to the point nor give us any useful info....

Considering one definition of intelligence is to use as many words as possible to convey the least amount of information, I recon this guy is a fucking genius.
Old 21-09-2011, 11:45 PM
cossieracer
Part of the Furniture

Firstly please let me say the reason it is a long winded post is to give as much info as possible

Secondly it is very sad that some people have such a suspicious nature which doesn't help me when I am just trying to get some basic help you know, just trying to cover all the bases!! or see if any of you guys have some input that just might help push things forward? There is really no need for hostility at all, absolutely none! but for all the mistrusting peeps just read posts from the web site below. There you will sadly see this actually does happen all too often!!! and I very much hope NOT,, but you never know one day it just might be you. Imagine how you would be feeling in our boots right now.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...91571#m1028936

Oh!! and by the way with regards to "I reckon this GUY must be a fucking genius"

Well thank you, I probably am as you put it! a "fucking genius" but hmm hey Einstein if you .

don't mind I am a FEMALE as you put it "fucking genius" not a GUY!! I have not posted this thread for a fight but simply for a little help!!

Last edited by cossieracer; 22-09-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: n
Old 22-09-2011, 04:22 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't get too upset, it just sounds a bit strange. For example how did it get stolen? You said you wanted it back but why did you not report it to the police when it went? I think people are just a bit sus because they're waiting for the 'other side of the story'
Old 22-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the police are not doing anything about it .. then go to the police station and shout at an inspector untill someone does do something about it... yes you do have the right to speak to one...
there is no reason the sgt should not deal with it, no matter what history ythere is.. if you feel this is the case then make a formal complaint to the ipcc..
firstly about the fact its been reported stolen and secondly that fact nothing has been done about recovering the car...
http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/en/Pages/default.aspx
if you have reported it stolen the police have to act upon it and recover it ....

Last edited by Eagle; 22-09-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:29 AM
pabloXR
TA 2008 2009 2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did not report it stolen to your insurance company, as you said you didn't want to claim and just wanted it back. Then that may well be the stumbling block, as when the police run it through their computor it will come back as being legally owned, registered and insured by the new owner/keeper. Therefore it becomes a civil matter as to who has legal title to it.
Have you at anytime received a letter from dvla informing you that someone has appiled for a V5 for it. Or is the car now on different number plates.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:32 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

The solution is simple, if you can prove beyond doubt that the car is yours and you haven't sold it, then get it picked up by a recovery truck and let the current "owner" then report it stolen and prove that it it theirs.

Old 22-09-2011, 06:52 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

This post smells of shite. You've not given any real info.

Bow was the car taken?

When was it taken?

How do you really know it's Your car?

What happened when u went to view it at the services?

Where the pics, reg no, etc?

You have time to type all that long winded crap but miss all the essential info
Old 22-09-2011, 07:12 AM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would recover it myself

maye send some big felas to do it
if you have the docs with you in a seperate vehicle you can argue it if it goes tits up
either way you want it out of anyones hands

if you didnt report it stolen then its not stolen is it, why do such a thing??????

someoen stole my pushbike once, i didnt report it so i dont espect to get ti back if i moaned now (8 years on) that it got stolen even if i did know where it went
as it was i didnt notice it had gone til maybe 3 weeks later as i just threw it down in the garden and i dont think it was legit anyways

my point it hit us with reg, massive details and the odd fullstop and paragraph (coming from me huh lol)
Old 22-09-2011, 07:41 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Something is not right here as if the op was genuine they would have put all the essential info in the first post rather than spouting longwinded shit
Old 22-09-2011, 08:28 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Personally,if I thought someone had my car I'd be round there within the hour picking it up,with several mates as well,always plenty of people to help in these situations.

There's loads of age stamps on a Cossie so if it's rung to a completely different year,then it should be easy to prove.

It comes accross a bit of an understandable rant but it's difficult to understand in a big clodge of text like that.

Perhaps watchdog maybe able to help?
Old 22-09-2011, 08:33 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

None of this makes sense. Did you not report it stolen when it first went missing?
Old 22-09-2011, 08:51 AM
pullo
PassionFord Regular

Put the reg and pics up when you owned it, also put the reg up it has now if it as changed. Someone on here will know the car if it is being used and maybe shed some light on your situation.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:53 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First post made a little easier to read.....

I myself has had their car stolen. I know who has it but as of yet it has still not been recovered and returned to me the person who holds what is called "Good Title".

I have learned that a thief cannot pass on "Good Title" so any subsequent owners of the stolen vehicle cannot pass on "Good Title" and so when the car is recovered it is to be returned to the person that last held "GOOD TITLE". Please may I ask the law enforcers that are members of this site if they would kindly PM me to enlighten me on the law and how I may possibly get my car back I would really appreciate it.

My car has been passed on several times now and in each incident where a police officer has attended the new keeper they have said that they have bought it as a doer upper, yet most people who know me and the car will know that only the very best upgrades etc etc has been used/spent on the car and I used to go to many shows and have many photos to show that this car was anything but a doer upper but this seems to be the words "doer upper" that keeps the police from seizing the car.

I am not alone and have found many others on the Internet that are in the same position. So how come some cars are seized and returned to it's rightful owner yet others are not. Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. I am going out of my mind with this as I am sure any of you guys would be if it happened to you. Please help I REALLY MISS MY COSSIE.

I still have all the documents the original V5 my purchase receipt bought it outright and all the service history with invoices plus all the replacement parts and upgrade invoices which are to the value of £30,000 (no doer upper) all the old MOT's in fact I have every document and there are lots from 1996 to 2008. The very sad thing is the person who had/has it now claims to have the same which I can assure you doesn't as we both can't have it right?? I can produce it and can assure you he can't.

Please, please, please will somebody help thank you

PS Im sure "Good title" is only something used in housing and property, not motors.

Last edited by BigErn; 22-09-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 22-09-2011, 10:01 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

I still say something is not right.

Good title - wtf

I smell shite
Old 22-09-2011, 10:07 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Theres no details of this "stolen" car so there could be something amiss.

Seeing as the OP is a woman it wouldnt surprise me if its an ex boyfriends car and she has kept all the paperwork at her house when they've split and told him she's binned it all. Now she's put the book in her name and is trying to be a twat and saying the car is stolen so she gets it off him and can sell it herself

Old 22-09-2011, 10:09 AM
tee-rex
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Strange story indeed £19k cossie stolen, no insurance claim, spotted some time later for sale, police reluctant to get involved. just does not sound right to me.
If you wanted the car back so badly you could of made a claim and agreed with the insurance co that if the car is ever recovered at a later date you would pay them the market value of the car as recovered providing the car is still eligable for road use.
The thing with the vin still the same baffles me, car theif steals nice cossie, sells cossie on with no logbook and original floorstamp, new owner no hpi no paperwork buys car, claims it was built up over time and its his car. (surely the original i.d. would have gone by now)
Assuming the current owner has a logbook for the car and dvla don't have it on the registar as stolen it seems to be his car.
The other strange thing is if when it was stolen you reported it to the police and got a crime number did you ever tell them or dvla that you never found the car so can it be registered as stolen not recovered making the vin useless.
Old 22-09-2011, 10:11 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Like I said several times

I smell shite in this story

Old 22-09-2011, 10:18 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

This has been going on for some time hasn't it Cossieracer!!

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...255197-v5.html

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...olicitors.html

And you haven't been to the police because you don't trust them.

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...f-licence.html

If I was you I'd move on and stop trying to flog a dead horse!
Old 22-09-2011, 10:23 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Are we talking about your Escort Cossie then?? Can we have some pics of it to show us what has been nicked??

Originally Posted by cossieracer

Oh!! and by the way with regards to "I reckon this GUY must be a fucking genius"

Well thank you, I probably am as you put it! a "fucking genius" but hmm hey Einstein if you .

don't mind I am a FEMALE as you put it "fucking genius" not a GUY!! I have not posted this thread for a fight but simply for a little help!!

I know from pervious posting you are female. So whats this post about then??

Oh no this girl has very firm bits, usually keeps a very descret profile drives an escort cossie better and faster than most peeps! and hey this is coming from a guy. however I do know her respect!! please. race her for the V5 I think not, but hey Im just a guy!!
Old 22-09-2011, 10:24 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

One username, two people. Maybe a couple who are now separated, and still squabbling over the Escort?
Old 22-09-2011, 10:25 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dan I looked at those threads too.... the car is probably rotten by now anyway
Old 22-09-2011, 10:26 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
One username, two people. Maybe a couple who are now separated, and still squabbling over the Escort?

Refer to post 25
Old 22-09-2011, 10:47 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by BigErn
Refer to post 25
I read that Detective Ern, I was more referring to the gender-bending style of posting, and inferring that it was two people.
Old 22-09-2011, 10:57 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I read that Detective Ern, I was more referring to the gender-bending style of posting, and inferring that it was two people.
Well you never know, she might be a tranny and just let it slip in a moment of not thinking. Theres nowt so queer as folk
Old 22-09-2011, 11:00 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Anyway, back on topic. If you know where the car is why dont you take the appropriate paperwork to the police, and shout at someone till something is done. Or contact the DVLA and tell them, they might be able to offer some kind of help?
Old 22-09-2011, 11:07 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

its no point helping someone who clearly doesnt want the help - seems more of an attention seeking post to me.

I mean, seriously, if you want help from us then why not give us the FULL story from the top right down to the bottom - however i dont think we will get it.
Old 22-09-2011, 11:13 AM
luke19790_3

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Firstly the car has not been ringed that I know for sure. I had it insured for £19000 at the time but did not want to claim the insurance as I wanted it back I was the second owner of the car with 6000miles on the clock. I have spent a huge amount of money on it and quite frankly it was my hobby, my pride and joy and hoped to have it till the end of time so didn't want the insurance money. Firstly I traced it on EBay and when I was convinced it was mine I called Doug Stirling who agreed yep definitely my car. I then mailed the guy on EBay asked him about the cars history and why he was selling it, to which he came back and said he bought it years ago and had bought it as a doer upper but he needed the money and his wife made him put it up for sale. So straight away I thought great keep the mail (evidence) on account I have owned this car for then the past 12 years I then got my brother to arrange to view it. The eBay seller wanted to meet at a service station on the M5 I then called the police in Somerset who said "nothing to do with them call the police from where it was stolen
south Glos" which I did but by the time they got their backsides in gear it was too late. Eventually it was traced on again and the person wh had it was told that they were not to use it sell it or dispose of it. They said again they bought it as a doer upper (but if you guy trace back all the threads of cossieracer and Doug Stirling you will find that it was anything but a doer upper in fact on one of Dougs threads he remarks what a really nice cossie it was. When I contacted the police last they assured me that the car was not being used by their instructions yet I found it on another web site with pics (clearly not the case) Sadly for me the sergeant dealing with it I had a bit of history with so alas it became personal and I haven't managed to get passed him hence no step forward. I have now contacted my MP in desperation and am awaiting his reply. Other people I now know of this happening to them have in some cases been told it is a civil matter, but how can it become a civil matter when you are given a crime reference number ie a crime turn into a civil matter. I have done quite slot of research and the one thing I know categorly is that a theif cannot pass on what is called good title so any subsequent purchasers of a stolen car have absolutely no rights to it and the car should be returned to the person it was stolen from. Yes in some cases it is sad for the victim who buys the car but let's face it what honest buyer would buy a car like a cossie or any car for that fact that has no receipts of any kind for the last 12 years like nothing no old MOT's no service history bills no receipts for all the upgrades and there are lots all the work was done at interpro nothing. I for sure wouldn't touch it. Ok maybe the guy selling it to me was legit but where is all the paper work??? Sadly my case has a stumbling block with this SGT, ok yes he's done the basics ie got the police in the county where it is to go along and tell the present keeper not to sell it use it, alter it or dispose it which clears him with any come backs but then has ceased to do anything else about it leaving everything in limbo, yet the person who has it now is still using it. I am so frustrated with the whole thing I just want what belongs to me, my car

why didn't you meet the guy at the m5 service station , then drive it home. if its your name he can't do anything
Old 22-09-2011, 11:15 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by luke19790_3
why didn't you meet the guy at the m5 service station , then drive it home. if its your name he can't do anything
exactly
Old 22-09-2011, 11:18 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by R4N S S
its no point helping someone who clearly doesnt want the help - seems more of an attention seeking post to me.

I mean, seriously, if you want help from us then why not give us the FULL story from the top right down to the bottom - however i dont think we will get it.
Please dont encourage her/him/it to type more, I find what has been written hard enough work to read as it is, I dont need any more
Old 22-09-2011, 11:26 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Please dont encourage her/him/it to type more, I find what has been written hard enough work to read as it is, I dont need any more
it dont really matter what gets typed as it will be all shit anyway - i can almost guarantee there wont be any real info that can be used to help her query anyway.

Like i said this post is shite and only good for passing time whilst at work

Quick Reply: When is a stolen car not a stolen car