General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Get Money for crashing whilst banned and no docs

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get Money for crashing whilst banned and no docs

This is the most frustrating situation i have known. My younger sister bought her first new car when she was 18 - an MG ZR (we did try to tell her ) She loved this car and stretched her funding to buy it.

Before xmas, she managed to run in the back of the local villain/druggy's crappy renault clio - only breaking his rear light cluster. Her car was a mess. Admittedly it was totally her fault - something about a van 2 cars in front didn't indicate and everyone braked hard.
She was heartbroken and brought this loser to our house to sort out details, as it happened just round the corner and she didn't know what else to do

My mum thought this guy was a bit sheepish and eager to get away. So being a typical mum, rings the number he gave us and talked to his mum!!! She got some story about the car not being MOT'd or insured, so my mum made it VERY clear, that Janes insurance would only be paying for her car and nothing else.

So what turns up in the post - a letter warning my sister he is claiming for dental pains due to the accident - more likely caused by his drug fuelled lifestyle
Then yesterday another letter turns up - his passenger is claiming!

We have heard rumours he was driving whilst banned. The car wasn't MOT'd or insured and probably wasn't taxed either.

He lives very near by and he's the kind of down and out that everybody knows who he is

The insurance company said unfortunately they will pay out, the only satisfaction we can get is by telling the police - who will find it hard to do anything about this i'm sure

My family have discussed this and don't think it's worth the damage he could and probably would cause to our property

So lesson learned - don't bother being insured so idiots like this can't claim off you

So

Is there anyway of knowing if he was definately banned at the time?
Old 16-02-2005, 09:20 AM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Personnaly i'd go to the police and tell them the situation
Old 16-02-2005, 09:23 AM
AD-RS1600i
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant believe that will work as surely he shouldn't have been behind the wheel if not legal to do so? As what would have happened if he hit your sister? Definately think, the insurance company will dob him in if not insurance, as they won't know where to send corrispondents etc... and the mere fact he is claiming he is injured while driving will prove he was behind the wheel at the time, assuming he shouldn't have been driving...........

Shame about your sisters car, sounds like her pride and joy
Old 16-02-2005, 09:25 AM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kneeeeeeee caps! he doesnt need his kneeeee caps! lets go take a bat to his legs! oh yeah! (in the tune of dreamer)

Tell the old bill and if ya catch him wreaking ya shit fook him up!!
Old 16-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

The insurance company said that aren't interested in the legal side and will not pursue it! This is Tesco by the way
I would have thought if they can get out of paying up they will!

The only proof we have of the accident is one witness and the fact he is claiming for his injuries caused by it.
We don't know for sure if he was banned and could do with finding out

We are concerned for our cars and property if we tell the police as we can't guard it 24 hours a day
Old 16-02-2005, 10:33 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by grey RS
The insurance company said that aren't interested in the legal side and will not pursue it! This is Tesco by the way
I would have thought if they can get out of paying up they will!

The only proof we have of the accident is one witness and the fact he is claiming for his injuries caused by it.
We don't know for sure if he was banned and could do with finding out

We are concerned for our cars and property if we tell the police as we can't guard it 24 hours a day
the only way you will find out is by going to the police,they will check his insurance and wether he was banned at the time of th accident,other than that you let it drop,unfortunately

Trending Topics

Old 16-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by st3v3
the only way you will find out is by going to the police,they will check his insurance and wether he was banned at the time of th accident,other than that you let it drop,unfortunately
My family are too frightened to go to the police, because of the inevitable vandalism that will follow
He definately wasn't insured on the day - his mum told my mum he had just bought the car - which is BS as he's been seen driving it for months beforehand
Can't prove the rumour of him being banned, unless we tell the cops

Like you say unfortunatley we will have to let it drop
Old 16-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im surprised the insurers will pay out if he was banned, they dont usually miss an excuse to not have to pay out!
Old 16-02-2005, 01:02 PM
gary scott
Regular Contributor

Cant you get your insurance company to see a copy of his documents that cover him for driving the car at the time of the offence? MOT, Tax, and driving lincence.

And is it his "car insurance company" claiming or one of those "no win no fee" companies that chase personal injury claims??
Old 16-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

I used to work for an insurance company and have known them to get out of claims VERY easily!!! This is why i am so frustrated and

According to Tesco Ins, it's a civil case and the responsibility lies with them to pay as my sister caused the "alledged" injuries - though they would not have paid for his car if he tried to claim for that!!! which would have been about a tenner for a rear lens.

I did mention to them his substance abuse and the lack of insurance and MOT and they have noted it, so they say.

gary scott, I am sure it's a no win no fee, as he spends too much on drugs to afford a proper brief
Old 16-02-2005, 01:38 PM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

thats sucks, what a cum sponge