General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford vs. VW diesel reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Had a mondeo for 50k miles and it never had more than service items

Relaible as anything else, dont believe the branding bullshit, VW, BMW, AUDI etc all suffer as many ( few ) problems as the mondeo

You dont see so many on the road cause they're crap
Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanically the Mondeo engine will go on forever. You may have an injector or pump issue in the future but although that will be an expensive fix, it'll not happen again for many many miles afterwards.

You shouldn't go wrong with either but chances are you will have an issue wsooner or later with what ever car you choose.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

have had both. to be fair the mundaneo needed nothing more than bushes and an exhaust in 70k, whereas the VW has needed a throttle body in the 7k I've owned it for, and has overall (brakes, servicing, tyres) been considerably more expensive. Mundigneo has an awful image and was fairly embarrasing to drive. Overall, despite the cost would still rather drive a golf.

E60 530d next time or A4 2.7 td I think.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by DazC
Mechanically the Mondeo engine will go on forever. .
it wont- the timing chains fuck up as do oil pump chains. just recently had a transit (same engine) with a broken oil pump chain.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by little bram
Ive had my mondeo tdci for awile now and ive never had a problem with it. good cars i think. You will get problems with most kinds of car but i think people go abit over the top bout things like this. you are only ever going to hear bad things on the net about cars.

lee
when you are in the business of fixing cars you get to know the common problems and likleyhood of them happening to a particular model.
Lots of people have commented on sub 100k cars saying they have been ultra reliable etc, of course they should be! its the older, high milage stuff that will give problems, and as diesels are all going to be mile munchers by nature (or you would not buy one) they will all have high milage when they are older.
The rule with modern diesels is;
Avoid lucas delphi common rail (or all common rail if pos!)
Avoid duel mass flywheels
Avoid VNT turbos
Avoid DPF's
Avoid any of the chain drive engines over 100k

This wont leave much! but the least of these things you have the better! A mondeo has them all (dpf on newer stuff) My 1.4 pd polo tdi daily runner has none
Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 AM
It's Czech Mate

Or perhaps avoid shit high mileage cheap nails that have never been serviced properly because they've always been run by scrubbers looking for a cheap motor
Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The 1.8 diesel engines are spot on.They have just got better and better over the years.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Or perhaps avoid shit high mileage cheap nails that have never been serviced properly because they've always been run by scrubbers looking for a cheap motor
Servicing has nothing to do with it! how do you service a duel mass flywheel? VNT turbo? Timing chain? or DPF? Even changing fuel filters wont help the lucas delphi common rail system from shredding itself.
And i agree about high milage stuff, i bought my polo brand new, i dont fuck about with old shit for a daily driver. but not everyone has loads of money to do that!

Last edited by chaffe; 08-09-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by Glenn.
The 1.8 diesel engines are spot on.They have just got better and better over the years.
The engines are good mate, but the later electronic pumps fuck up
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
little bram
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chaffe
when you are in the business of fixing cars you get to know the common problems and likleyhood of them happening to a particular model.
Lots of people have commented on sub 100k cars saying they have been ultra reliable etc, of course they should be! its the older, high milage stuff that will give problems, and as diesels are all going to be mile munchers by nature (or you would not buy one) they will all have high milage when they are older.
The rule with modern diesels is;
Avoid lucas delphi common rail (or all common rail if pos!)
Avoid duel mass flywheels
Avoid VNT turbos
Avoid DPF's
Avoid any of the chain drive engines over 100k

This wont leave much! but the least of these things you have the better! A mondeo has them all (dpf on newer stuff) My 1.4 pd polo tdi daily runner has none

When you are in the business? ive never been out of a job since i left school and have been a mechinic for 8 year mate and 4 of them have been at ford so no disrespect but i no what (common problems) are. Yes we do get mondeos in for injectors and pumps but what am saying is people go over the top on here. You will find problems with most cars. the lad could be wanting a mondeo but now has been put off because for what people say on the net. you are only ever going to here bad things about cars on the net because no one is going to think Il go on the net and tell everone how good my mondeo tdci is. they are just going to come on when its not working. Am not saying they are the best cars but they aren't bad if you get a good one.

lee
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Am not saying they are the best cars but they aren't bad if you get a good one.

lee
but ultimatly vw make better cars lol
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 AM
It's Czech Mate

but ultimatly vw make better cars lol
Better in what way?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
tdcizetec
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

The VAG 1.9 - 100-105 and 130s are all good (they still have the potential to clean you out though like any new generation diesel)

The 2.0 PD TDi is supposedly a nightmare, oil pump problems, injectors, flywheels etc.

The Ford 1.8 TDCi is very reliable IMO, never had a problem from new to 100k apart from the dreaded DMF.

The problem is modern diesels in general - regardless of make.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Better in what way?
build quality, reliability, looks, status, CORROSION RESISTANCE resale value retention. You pay for what you get with a VW, dont get me wrong i like old fords, but VW's are a lot better.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

My old man has run two mk3 tdci mondeos to 130kish, both from new and that mileage was done in the 4 years of owning each car. The second one had the turbo shit itself, run the sump dry and span a shell on the bottom end. Other than that he had no faults at all and the turbo problem could have been on any car.

He is on his second mk4 tdci mondeo, the first was a 140 auto taken to 130k and it's still going strong, his current one is a 163 auto and he has stuck 30k on it in 6 months and it's been totally bang on.

It must be luck of the draw regardless of whatever the make.

Gavin.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by st3v3
have you looked at, dare i say it....Volvo diesels, ultra reliable....not for me...
volvo diesel use vag engines
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM
gouch1

Originally Posted by Diseasel
Plenty of problems with the VW PDI engines, injectors, DPF and ABS pump failures. Check out the VW, Audi and SEAT websites and you would see the same problems.
you can have the most reliable car in the world and if you google problems with it loads will come up
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
ShiftyOldScoob
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I'm onto my 3rd mondeo diesel,

The 1st being a 2 ltr tdci 130 and the second 2 being the 2.2 st tdci.

The 1st car had an injector fault and I replaced the clutch and DMF, but I didn't do this until 100k,

The second 2 cars have been faultless ( touch wood ) and I'd happily buy another !

My old man had a 2ltr tddi mondeo on a Y plate and that covered 90k hard miles in his ownership, carrying everything from work gear to pinto engines and gearboxes for me...it had 147k on the clock when he traded it in and all that ever went wrong was a rear caliper!...that car used to do in excess of 50mpg aswell!

I was lead to believe that the 2ltr tdci engines were a joint venture between ford and Peugeot , I was also told to try and avoid them as they do tend to suffer with higher miles

The 2.2 tdci is apparently a totally different unit...yes DMF's and VNT's can be shit BUT I'm a firm believer that if you drive properly, service regularly and show a little mechanical sympathy they will be fine!...basically I drive a diesel for economy and although I don't drive like miss daisy, I don't try and break the land speed record every day or go out racing porsches!

Think it boils down to personal taste really...if it were me, I'd buy a low mileage mondeo diesel as I could get more car for my money and I think the st/zetec and titty x models look better than vw's offerings...also the new shape mondeo is currently a second hand bargain
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
It's Czech Mate

build quality, reliability, looks, status, CORROSION RESISTANCE resale value retention. You pay for what you get with a VW, dont get me wrong i like old fords, but VW's are a lot better.
High initial price - high retained value = same cost as cheaper car with lower residual only you have more tied up in it. Not good unless you can explain why?

Looks are subjective

Reliability is the same. I do not believe for one second fords are less Elia le than vws these days, no way. We run a big fleet at work of mondy passat golf focus fiesta polo and the vws cost shitloads more in running costs and repairs.

The fords always handle better and drive nicer than equivalent vws.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gouch1
I thought the Volvo 2.0D were Ford derived engines?? ...and the D5 Diesel engine was a Volvo-only unit??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

High initial price - high retained value = same cost as cheaper car with lower residual only you have more tied up in it. Not good unless you can explain why?

Looks are subjective

Reliability is the same. I do not believe for one second fords are less Elia le than vws these days, no way. We run a big fleet at work of mondy passat golf focus fiesta polo and the vws cost shitloads more in running costs and repairs.

The fords always handle better and drive nicer than equivalent vws.
i bought an 07 seat leon fr and chipped it to 201 bhp 314 ftlb of torque (originally 172bhp), not a VW but still VAG, drove it for two years, some 40k miles then traded it in, never missed a beat. What hatch does ford offer in the diesel range that would handle, stop, look and go like this? a focus? how much do they make/chip to power wise?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 PM
It's Czech Mate

Sorry I didn't realise the ability to chip it was the only thing that makes a good car lol I must look out for that column in the what car road tests.

I'm talking about normal run of the mill everyday cars like the op.

The new Seats are shocking build quality as well, truly awful! Also they will never handle as well as a shopping focus.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
cossie350

I cant believe this argument is happening, fair enough its a Ford forum but REALLY !!!

German engineering is without a doubt some of the best in the world, they build great cars.

The garage i took my Mondeo too was a Delpih service centre, the bloke there said they have at least 2 Ford diesels in a week with injector/pump problems. IMO with how expensive they are to fix they should never have been released.

Abit off topic but ive just had a letter from Suzuki about a charging problem with the GSXR model i purchased 1.5 years ago (second hand) asking me to take it in for a free repair, i think this is awesome service, had Ford held there hands up to the problem with there diesels it would have put them out of business.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

im not arguing, im passing time by disscussion lol, i can afford pretty much any car, and i still wouldnt opt for a ford diesel, id rather buy a fiat engined alfa before i did that!
My question above was is there any "HOT" ford diesel hatches? vw do the gt sport golf, seat do the FR, skoda do the vrs, alfa do the brara thing, what does ford have to offer the concencious driver looking for performance and economy in one?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM
It's Czech Mate

im not arguing, im passing time by disscussion lol, i can afford pretty much any car, and i still wouldnt opt for a ford diesel, id rather buy a fiat engined alfa before i did that!
My question above was is there any "HOT" ford diesel hatches? vw do the gt sport golf, seat do the FR, skoda do the vrs, alfa do the brara thing, what does ford have to offer the concencious driver looking for performance and economy in one?
Who cares? Its a low volume niche market that doesnt make sense or money for the manufacturer, if they were really the future then there would be no petrol. VW for instance still push the twincharged petrols and the tsi engines as they know as well as I do , sporty diesels are not fun. Fast yes when chipped, but fun to drive, no.

What those cars save on fuel they make up for in higher cost and they dont handle as well with the heavier engines....you'll note they are all just existing petrol models with a tarted up diesel engine which more expensive to buy and worse to drive than the petrol equivalent.

The conciencius driver mustnt enjoy driving that much to want a 'sporty' diesel as they're expensive and less good handling than the petrol equivalent. Thats why they're low volume sales cars and thats why Ford havent bothered....yet

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 08-09-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 PM
cossie350

Who cares? Its a low volume niche market that doesnt make sense or money for the manufacturer
You seriously have got some Ford blinkers on,thats the biggest load of shite i have read on this forum, I would put money on the Golf TDI being one of the best selling cars VW have ever made, same for the A3 TDI for Audi.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

it wont- the timing chains fuck up as do oil pump chains. just recently had a transit (same engine) with a broken oil pump chain.
I don't understand why not. We have an absolute minimum of 2 Transits a day through our workshop with mileages ranging from first services to 400,000 miles. We never have timing chain issues. We also have a handful of Mondeos come through each week too.

My own van had a recall under warranty for a new tensioner and we have a customer who has a 400k old 2.4 with the original chains still on it. Our own Transit with a 270k mile 2.0 engine has never had the engine apart.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
NickB
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Bemmer 330D tick.
Mines on 162,000 a still gos like stink
Was looking at a replacement this year and thought Ford VW etc etc but cant seem to find nothing out there to suit the bill as i doubt I get diddly squat for a X plate BM.
so new suspension it will be.......
and another 60,000 miles
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by ShiftyOldScoob
I'm onto my 3rd mondeo diesel,

The 1st being a 2 ltr tdci 130 and the second 2 being the 2.2 st tdci.

The 1st car had an injector fault and I replaced the clutch and DMF, but I didn't do this until 100k,

The second 2 cars have been faultless ( touch wood ) and I'd happily buy another !

My old man had a 2ltr tddi mondeo on a Y plate and that covered 90k hard miles in his ownership, carrying everything from work gear to pinto engines and gearboxes for me...it had 147k on the clock when he traded it in and all that ever went wrong was a rear caliper!...that car used to do in excess of 50mpg aswell!

I was lead to believe that the 2ltr tdci engines were a joint venture between ford and Peugeot , I was also told to try and avoid them as they do tend to suffer with higher miles

The 2.2 tdci is apparently a totally different unit...yes DMF's and VNT's can be shit BUT I'm a firm believer that if you drive properly, service regularly and show a little mechanical sympathy they will be fine!...basically I drive a diesel for economy and although I don't drive like miss daisy, I don't try and break the land speed record every day or go out racing porsches!

Think it boils down to personal taste really...if it were me, I'd buy a low mileage mondeo diesel as I could get more car for my money and I think the st/zetec and titty x models look better than vw's offerings...also the new shape mondeo is currently a second hand bargain
The Mk 3 Mondeo used Ford only engines. The Mk4 current shape Mondeo used Piggot diesels including the 2.2.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DazC
Mechanically the Mondeo engine will go on forever. You may have an injector or pump issue in the future but although that will be an expensive fix, it'll not happen again for many many miles afterwards.

You shouldn't go wrong with either but chances are you will have an issue wsooner or later with what ever car you choose.
not neccesarily true daz, i have seen many mondeos and transits plus 2 jags that have suffered from disintergrating little end bearings around the 200k mark 90% of the time on number on cylinder taking the rod and piston with it tho all but one of them had not damaged the bore.

plus the mondeos and jags have very common electronical faults on the variable turbo's usually failing electronic wastegate actuator or wiring failure as the wires can snap due to bad routing on the jags, this in itself can lead to having to replace the entire turbo as its not always easy to find the exact right wastegate as there are many variations.

that is just a small list of the faults ive encountered with mondeos and transits, i personally would not own one. but having said that i have had a lot of faults with pd engines having witnessed several go through camshafts faster than an rs turbo lol, tho this can be put down to neglect and incorrect oil not down to design
however my local machining shop which is run by a respectable, well known guy hates pd engines saying that they are a ticking timebomb that when they do let go are extremley costly to repair, i myself have only rebuilt one but have replaced many.

to be fair if i was asked what modern diesel car i would choose for myself, my only honest answer would be sorry, i dont know! until they manage to sort a proper reliable long lasting fuel sytem on a high performance diesel engine i myself will be sticking to petrols or any old peugeot tud engined cars as these really will run forever! i managed 60,000 miles on my old work van without even changing the oil and its still knocking about to this day good old berlingo's lol
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

When you are in the business? ive never been out of a job since i left school and have been a mechinic for 8 year mate and 4 of them have been at ford so no disrespect but i no what (common problems) are. Yes we do get mondeos in for injectors and pumps but what am saying is people go over the top on here. You will find problems with most cars. the lad could be wanting a mondeo but now has been put off because for what people say on the net. you are only ever going to here bad things about cars on the net because no one is going to think Il go on the net and tell everone how good my mondeo tdci is. they are just going to come on when its not working. Am not saying they are the best cars but they aren't bad if you get a good one.

lee
believe it or not the fact that you work at ford means you will rareley see the real common problems with fords as 90% of people wont take them to you because of the labour charges, i talk from experience having worked at main dealers myself (daihatsu,proton and citroen) while you work at the dealers you think cars are pretty reliable its only when you work at the independants or like myself you run your own business that you get to learn the real faults with particular cars
i would say 60+% of my work is on fords and my opinion on the newer mondeos is steer well clear of anything approaching 100k or more
Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

The engines are good mate, but the later electronic pumps fuck up
Never done any of them yet to the vans in the fleet at work.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:18 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I thought when i started working for toyota a few years back now.I thought i would never do engine and gear box faults.How wrong was i.

Them mondy engines are very similar to the trannys and in the 3 years of working for the royal mail we have only ever changed 1 engine on the trannys and 1 engine in the tranny connects.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:20 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

The mondeo sttdci.

Ford focus zetec s tdci.

Ford fiesta zetec s tdci.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by cossie350
You seriously have got some Ford blinkers on,thats the biggest load of shite i have read on this forum, I would put money on the Golf TDI being one of the best selling cars VW have ever made, same for the A3 TDI for Audi.
Both of those are big sellers. They are not the sporty ones tho are they?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Who cares? Its a low volume niche market that doesnt make sense or money for the manufacturer
where have you been hiding the last ten years?
Originally Posted by cossie350
Exactly, they cover most people criteria, brill everyday cars to everyday people.
If VW/AG cars are soo shit why is nearly every second car on the road a vw diesel lol
Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Both of those are big sellers. They are not the sporty ones tho are they?
How is a GT tdi 170 golf and A3 s line 170 quattro not sporty? fords focus simply can not compare to these cars!
As said I like old fords but the new stuff just bores me!, if they did something that looks like the RS (which they couldnt even bother making 4x4) in a 170-180 bhp 4x4 diesel then i think it would sell very well, just like the audi s-line does, in fact the s-line probably outsells the s3 petrol model.
Just look next time you are driving out and about, every second car is a VW/AG diesel.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Bailes1992

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gouch1
Only Volvo to use a VAG engine was the 850 and Early S60/V70.
They had a 5 cylinder TDi out of the T4 van

My Dad's Volvo V50 T5 has done 90k in 3 years and other than a brak pad problem, hasen't missed a beat!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 AM
It's Czech Mate

How is a GT tdi 170 golf and A3 s line 170 quattro not sporty? fords focus simply can not compare to these cars!
As said I like old fords but the new stuff just bores me!, if they did something that looks like the RS (which they couldnt even bother making 4x4) in a 170-180 bhp 4x4 diesel then i think it would sell very well, just like the audi s-line does, in fact the s-line probably outsells the s3 petrol model.
Just look next time you are driving out and about, every second car is a VW/AG diesel.
Are u incapable of having a normal conversation. Those sporty diesel
Models are not big volume sellers as stated hence ford are not interested. Go check the sales figures.

The op questions reliability of a ford and generally in my experience it's as good as anything else in terms of ownership costs over a period and I manage a large fleet. Obviously if you buy a high mileage older one you take your chances, as wih any other make.

As for can't compete with Audi/vw don't make me laugh, everything is produced to a spec and a price, if hey wanted to make a premium diesel hatch that's was 200bhp and felt as quality as an Audi they could. But who the fuck would buy it at the hick end of 30 plus grand.....get real . You don't understand the car industry
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Only Volvo to use a VAG engine was the 850 and Early S60/V70.
They had a 5 cylinder TDi out of the T4 van

My Dad's Volvo V50 T5 has done 90k in 3 years and other than a brak pad problem, hasen't missed a beat!
Of course remember the ford galaxy uses a 1.9 pd VAG engine!
Are u incapable of having a normal conversation. Those sporty diesel
Models are not big volume sellers as stated hence ford are not interested. Go check the sales figures.

The op questions reliability of a ford and generally in my experience it's as good as anything else in terms of ownership costs over a period and I manage a large fleet. Obviously if you buy a high mileage older one you take your chances, as wih any other make.

As for can't compete with Audi/vw don't make me laugh, everything is produced to a spec and a price, if hey wanted to make a premium diesel hatch that's was 200bhp and felt as quality as an Audi they could. But who the fuck would buy it at the hick end of 30 plus grand.....get real . You don't understand the car industry
well up here in aberdeen where there is loads of money everyone has audis, maybe not the case where you live

Quick Reply: Ford vs. VW diesel reliability?