General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Who's the S2 Doctor???

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Who's the S2 Doctor???

I basically had to get somewhere in a hurry last night and gave it a bit of chat along some A roads onto a motorway [seriously wasn't speeding, this isn't a heroic tale of daring, just accelerating to the speed limit quickly]

Anyway, I lost power coming off the slip road and pulled in, the car wouldn't idle and cut out, thought I'd popped something off round the oil breather so lifted the bonnet only to see the exhaust manifold and turbo housing glowing like the lighter in a car [I've seen Yums do this, but not the poxy bean tins ]

I let it cool down for 10 minutes and it started fine, no puffs of smoke, but seemed to labour a bit under gentle acceleration.

Tried it this morning and SOUNDs like there's a major blow on the manifold, still no smoke from the turbo

It's still labouring under acceleration but when I got nearer home I thought I'd check to see what it's boosting at and it's still holding 14 PSi [just as Karl Norris set it up at ]
but feels like its holding back?

Does this sound the symptoms of an exhaust manifold leakage? maybe a fooked gasket? Is there a gasket between the manifold and the turbo? I can't see it to well?

Anything I should check for specifically?

CheeRS
Old 15-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

a std rst will glow if u give it some.

No gasket between turbo and manfold. Sounds more likey like the exhaust to turbo - these can come loose. Try undoing it and re fitting it.
Old 15-02-2005, 10:13 AM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yer, they can glow....and you can get a gasket also....
Old 15-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My main concern there is that once the car cut out, you let it cool.

You really should have started it again to get the oil circulating as it would have sat quite happily in the Cherry Red Turbo cooking away and is probably now all frothy.

I personally would remove the Turbo and refit the Manifold with a new gasket and all new studs/washers/nuts if it hasn't been done before. Make sure everything is tight, including the 4 nuts that fix the Turbo to the Manifold and that the 5 nuts that hold the Cast Elbow on are all tight too.

Are you sure the blow is coming from there?
Old 15-02-2005, 10:23 AM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice there
Old 15-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
My main concern there is that once the car cut out, you let it cool.
shit yeah I did restart once I had the bonnet open and legged it round to keep it ticking over with the throttle cable, but only for a minute if that

cheers for the advice it's much appreciated I'll have a go at what you said later in the week