General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

swiftcover and dr10 (spent?)

Search this Thread

Old 18-08-2011, 07:45 AM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swiftcover and dr10 (spent?)

Quick question for the people who can read small print!

Back in Feb 2003 I received a DR10 conviction (stupidly, i don't need flaming now for it!) For this I got a 12 month ban, reduced to 9 months on completion of the course and a £200 fine.

Now, as I understand it, this was 'spent' after 5 years although it remains on my licence for 11 years, i no longer have to declare it, until i went to do a change of vehicle online with swiftcover and got myself confused with some of the wording. It reads that swiftcover will not pay (exception 31):

any liability, loss, damage, cost or expense caused by a named driver with a motoring conviction endorsement that has remained or will remain, on their driving licence for more than five years (unless such a conviction is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act). Examples of such convictions may include careless driving and driving under the influence of drink or drugs such as: DR10; DR20; DR30; DR80; CD40; CD50; CD60; CD70; IN10;

Although, that says NAMED driver, my name does appear on the policy, and it is actually very confusing. Is it spent or not, am i insured or not?!

I did ring them but the bint on the end of the phone couldn't give me an answer and just wanted my policy details which i wouldn't give. My policy runs out in September anyway.

Answers below please! Lol
Old 18-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

how do you expect her to have helped you if you wouldn't give her your policy details
was she supposed to guess what the terms of your policy were
best you ring back with the details they require
Old 18-08-2011, 07:54 AM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

The terms of the policy will be the same for all drivers surely? Plus the fact she was next to useless and would've probably just cancelled my policy anyway.

I just wanted some explanation of the confusion over the conditions. I've never heard of it before and obviously I've had some dealings over this DR10 now!

I'm pretty sure it is 'Spent' but the wording is confusing!
Old 18-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

your policy maybe invalid so you need to ring them with your details to know if you are actually insured or not
you may have been paying for 11 months for a policy that doesn't actually insure you
Old 18-08-2011, 10:18 AM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Well that was a turn up for the books. Swiftcover phoned me on my mobile (while I was on the phone to them on the home phone!) asking me to confirm my email address saying they had received information about a conviction that hadn't been disclosed.
(thanks to whoever that was!)

Anyway, my conviction IS spent and doesn't affect my insurance despite their confusing conditions.
Old 18-08-2011, 10:45 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by northernmonkey
Well that was a turn up for the books. Swiftcover phoned me on my mobile (while I was on the phone to them on the home phone!) asking me to confirm my email address saying they had received information about a conviction that hadn't been disclosed.
(thanks to whoever that was!)

Anyway, my conviction IS spent and doesn't affect my insurance despite their confusing conditions.
I'd imagine that they simply cross referenced your phone number to your policy when you rang up asking about a DR10 and refused to give your policy details. I can't imagine anyone would have shopped you in.
Old 18-08-2011, 11:02 AM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

That would be viable Dan IF my number wasn't withheld! I'm not arsed anyway mate, all sorted now.