General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Grand Vitara 1.9 ddis. Anyone have experience with one?

Search this Thread

Old 14-08-2011, 02:20 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Grand Vitara 1.9 ddis. Anyone have experience with one?

As title really, we're considering one and would prefer the diesel over a petrol as by all accounts the petrol is a bit underpowered and the diesels are easier to come by.

There's mixed reviews of the 1.9ddis but theres an awful lot of negatives about dpf issues and other problems associated with the renault engine. I'm hoping that the one we're looking at will have had all the recall work.
General opinion tends to be that unless you're doing high miles its not worth having the diesel because of the dpf but as its more practical for us we will be using it more. My mrs will be using it for commuting 10 miles each way to work on mixed roads of villages and 40-70mph bypasses.
I've read about dpf issues with various cars and i take a lot of internet moaning with a pinch of salt as its not very often people start a thread on a forum raving about their car being faultless and reliable is it? A lot of feedback isn't very constructive and i feel that some people have issues because they don't deal with the dpf warning when it comes up.

I'm not after alternatives i'm set on the gv as i've also got a jimny (my 2nd zuk i've owned) i just need some direction with it really. The renault engine is fitted in other cars - renaults obviously and the nissan qashqai so any known faults with the engine would be helpful.

Also is there a way of checking at a suzuki dealer to see if its had the recall work done?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 17-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I worked at a suzuki dealer for a year and i worked on these.There was also a recall on the inlet pipe comong off the throttle body.There was a modified bracket that replaced the jubelee clip.There was a few vitaras come in cause of the dpf setting fire to the floor.
Old 17-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I left suzuki nearly 3 years ago.At the time they were ok apart from the faults above.
Old 17-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Austin101
Your talkin sh** now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over all not a bad jeep.The small pipe before the dpf burns away and needs the be replaced sometimes.The v-ribbed belt can break (if not replaced) and go through the timing belt cover and cause mayhem.The EGR can go at high miles too. Few recalls on the intercooler pipes & the intercooler itself.Apart from the engine the jeep is pretty much bullet proof.So when buying one make sure its well serviced and got the right oil. O yes and the heater plugs have a habit to go.One plug can throw on a light in the dash(a box with a squigley line through it).Hope this helps
Old 18-08-2011, 07:54 AM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks the the info, i was hoping to hear from some suzuki techs.
Old 19-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Or yeh i forgot about the recall on the intercooler.They got metal brackets put on the sides of the intercooler to stop them coming apart.