General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Nissan complain about Top Gear review...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
user 628729
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
+1. Hydrogen is the most sensible way forward
I'm not convinced; the storage and handling issues are difficult.
Hydrogen, like most other power sources, has to be "manufactured" from something.
In the long run that "something" will be clean/renewable, i.e. probably solar/tidal/wind/geothermal etc.

But what is being missed out is that what goes into the vehicle is just an intermediary, to store energy compactly and efficiently.

Electricity via batteries seems to be doomed to fail on that front.
Petrol works well because it has a high energy content and can be moved quickly (by pumping) and stored for long periods relatively safely (Buncefield!)

So we need an intermediary, and an "engine" that are non-polluting and easily recycled. And preferable cheap and easy to make (both).

Fuel cells and electric motors are one type of engine, but so is the traditional/evolved internal combustion device.
As for the intermediary, who knows, industrial chemists can probably propose several. Ethanol or similar alcohols for example, manufactured from water and CO2 from the air?

A bit of end-to-end thinking without vested interests (and there's the biggest problem) must surely provide several answers?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

I wonder what depreciation is like on an electric car?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRubNoDub
i worked on a project with my college lecture a few months ago, pat pending so i cant say much, basicaly the device produced enough H to boost power in a hgv by 25% while also boosting fuel encon by around 35% it also produced almost 0 emissions, it was only the protype and could be improved much further.
hmmmmmmm.........gotta love 'theoretical' engineering

if there was a product that gave 25% power, improved economy by 35% and produced zero emissions, come work for me, i have a job for you.

p.s. i work in testing for one of the big FIE manufacturers for the HD diesel industry.