General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People who paint their car roof black?? Why??

Search this Thread

Old 30-06-2011, 11:50 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default People who paint their car roof black?? Why??

No, really... WHY??!

Is it a cheap attempt to make your car look like it's got a carbon roof, like a M3 CSL??

Is there rust coming through on the roof and you are too pikey to pay a bodyshop to deal with it, so settle for a rattle can finish from Halfrauds?!

It's not just shite chav-mobiles that do this either, I've seen people painting/wrapping their roof in black on newer cars.. saw a new Focus RS with it done the other day, that's a 20k+ car that has been made to look like a 2k car you'd see skidding around with trays under the back wheels outside MaccyDs?!

Maybe it's just me, but I think it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Mate what worse is a carbon wrap REAL halfords
Old 30-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To absorb heat? As this icelandic summer climate we're having is a bit nippy, maybe they're trying to keep the car warm!

TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some new cars come with it as standard, there are a few cars here at the Merc Dealrship I work at, and I think they look quite good tbh.
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

On some cars I actually quite like it. On your mums 5 door Corsa it does look a bit daft
Old 30-06-2011, 12:08 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cos
Mate what worse is a carbon wrap REAL halfords
That's very true, it's pretty sad really.

Originally Posted by Rab
To absorb heat? As this icelandic summer climate we're having is a bit nippy, maybe they're trying to keep the car warm!

That's what it'll be... my bad.

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Some new cars come with it as standard, there are a few cars here at the Merc Dealrship I work at, and I think they look quite good tbh.
Are they not the cars with panoramic sunroofs, extended windscreens?? I agree that if it has a purpose, then it's more acceptable, but still would prefer a single colour of the bodywork... but maybe I'm just a little more traditional/boring than most people.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30-06-2011, 12:11 PM
craigybaby
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i think it looks good on some cars im pretty sure the new white limited edition corsa sxi comes with black wheels and a black roof but i could be wrong
Old 30-06-2011, 12:21 PM
stevo123
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fashion goes full circle *awaits the first vinyle roof on PF on a modern car*.

Its all good really - what ever the owner likes, after all its their car.
Old 30-06-2011, 12:26 PM
RS 5tu
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think some cars look good with a black roof.
Old 30-06-2011, 12:42 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 5tu
I think some cars look good with a black roof.
I agree. It can look whack, but quite smart on some others.

As with this and the 'slamming' thread - it's the owner's choice.
Old 30-06-2011, 01:12 PM
JokerDisco

I had a Carbon Wrap on mine. Did it to match wheels, badges, grille and interior.

Name:  SDC10209.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  182.2 KB

Name:  SDC10206.jpg
Views: 3923
Size:  154.0 KB

Last edited by JokerDisco; 30-06-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 30-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Rodewaryer

I guess I'm just a reh-tard then, I don't get black (with the exception of factory gloss finishes) at all. Satin black wraps on perfectly good cars, especially high end cars, black wheels (I'll admit I absolutely despise this), black body panels and bare CF bonetts etc? It all makes the owner look like a poser wanker IMO, or someone that wants to appear to be a punk kid.

I painted my CF bonett body colour and even added the windscreen washers. THAT is a properly done mod IMO. If someone wants to know if my CF bonett is real, all I do is have them open it....and let them feel the weight, which is the REAL point afterall. Not running around with bare CF panels to show off.
Old 30-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Jimbo.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said, I think it can look quite smart, especially if you're tieing it in with other features on the car like black wheels/mirrors etc.

It doesn't look good on a faded red vauxhall cavalier though like I saw a few months back.
Old 30-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

as been said, I like it on the right car (like that bmw posted earlier)
Old 30-06-2011, 03:00 PM
RigPig

Originally Posted by Rodewaryer
I guess I'm just a reh-tard then, I don't get black (with the exception of factory gloss finishes) at all. Satin black wraps on perfectly good cars, especially high end cars, black wheels (I'll admit I absolutely despise this), black body panels and bare CF bonetts etc? It all makes the owner look like a poser wanker IMO, or someone that wants to appear to be a punk kid.

I painted my CF bonett body colour and even added the windscreen washers. THAT is a properly done mod IMO. If someone wants to know if my CF bonett is real, all I do is have them open it....and let them feel the weight, which is the REAL point afterall. Not running around with bare CF panels to show off.
PMSL @ punk kid, WTF are you on about.
Some folk like the weight saving and to show off their car, so whats wrong with that FFS ( No i dont before you ask LOL )
Old 30-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Rodewaryer

Originally Posted by RigPig
PMSL @ punk kid, WTF are you on about.
Some folk like the weight saving and to show off their car, so whats wrong with that FFS ( No i dont before you ask LOL )
It isn't cool, hot, 'with it', brilliant or whatever your term is when someone is too cheap or not mature enough to be thorough and paint replacement parts but instead, run around....like a wet behind the ears kid with no money (how's that instead of punk kid?)....and claim your added parts are cool to leave unpainted. This whole thing with black/unmatching panels, black wheels, unpainted CF, satin wrapping high end cars, rusty bonetts makes the REAL car guys/petrolheads laugh out loud, or want to puke....I'm not sure which really as both feelings want to manifest at the same time.

If yours is done that way and I met you in public or saw a pic of it on here, I'd be polite enough to not rag on you about it, but I would be the last person to lie to you and tell you I liked you car. I'd just keep it to myself or find something else about it worth talking about.

This whole part of the enthusiast culture that does the patchwork panel treatment etc and encourages people to do it, just goes against the grain in a BIG way.
Old 30-06-2011, 03:24 PM
S.Hannah
Regular Contributor

RS Grant.

You must have seen mad stevie hinks focus rs with the roof done black.

looks good to me done like that.

Each to there own tho.

Some cars look crap with it done.

Regards, Stephen
Old 30-06-2011, 03:31 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like black roofs and bare carbon panels..... I must be a right cunt then going by this thread pmsl....
Old 30-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Rodewaryer

Originally Posted by SteveB
I like black roofs and bare carbon panels..... I must be a right cunt then going by this thread pmsl....
By the looks of the car in the signature, by nature you aren't one that pursues that style.

BTW, the black roof thing is something generally different...I haven't seen that in the colonies much. Although being another 'paint it black' perversion means it's probably contagious and I'll be seeing more of it.

I have to ask. I know VERY well the Esprit in the pic is a nice car, but the basic relative question is, do the wheels enhance or distract from it, generally speaking? I know taste is one of the most controversial things one can discuss but I think this guy ruined the appeal of the car.

When (apart from the size of the wheels being OTT) in this pic, now this is a hot looking car....

Old 30-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Joshy
Dreamer

IMO, the black wheels look a lot better and make the car look very "smart"

Besides the fact that it makes no difference to the actual dynnamics of the car, I think its just a case of whatever makes the owner happy...
Old 30-06-2011, 05:26 PM
turbotoaster
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

It isn't cool, hot, 'with it', brilliant or whatever your term is when someone is too cheap or not mature enough to be thorough and paint replacement parts but instead, run around....like a wet behind the ears kid with no money (how's that instead of punk kid?)....and claim your added parts are cool to leave unpainted. This whole thing with black/unmatching panels, black wheels, unpainted CF, satin wrapping high end cars, rusty bonetts makes the REAL car guys/petrolheads laugh out loud, or want to puke....I'm not sure which really as both feelings want to manifest at the same time.

If yours is done that way and I met you in public or saw a pic of it on here, I'd be polite enough to not rag on you about it, but I would be the last person to lie to you and tell you I liked you car. I'd just keep it to myself or find something else about it worth talking about.

This whole part of the enthusiast culture that does the patchwork panel treatment etc and encourages people to do it, just goes against the grain in a BIG way.

i put this to you.

your trying to build a car as light as possible, so you buy carbon fibre body panels.

do you

a) leave them unpainted and save maximum amount of weight, plus enjoy the look of carbon

b) add weight by painting all the components and make it look standard.

trust me if racecars could get away with no painting over the carbon fibre body shell they could do!

we bareshell painted an intergrale and we think theres around 20kg+ of primer/paint/laquer
Old 30-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Chaz888

Can look fine on the right car ,just one of those things like the minis with a black or white roof or the union roof .
Old 30-06-2011, 05:53 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it tbh.... not on chavvy corsa's but the right car......Thinking of getting my BMW done ..........

Name:  2002350778561431168_rs.jpg
Views: 3239
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 30-06-2011, 06:34 PM
rallycross

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A black roof?

like they had on mk2 capri's and mk4 cortinas'?

VINYL!
Old 30-06-2011, 06:36 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

By the looks of the car in the signature, by nature you aren't one that pursues that style.

BTW, the black roof thing is something generally different...I haven't seen that in the colonies much. Although being another 'paint it black' perversion means it's probably contagious and I'll be seeing more of it.

I have to ask. I know VERY well the Esprit in the pic is a nice car, but the basic relative question is, do the wheels enhance or distract from it, generally speaking? I know taste is one of the most controversial things one can discuss but I think this guy ruined the appeal of the car.

When (apart from the size of the wheels being OTT) in this pic, now this is a hot looking car....

White wheels for me but in a better design and not so huge.
Old 30-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Im not a lover of black wheels either.

There is a red 5dr corsa that parks up the road from where i work and that has a black roof too.
Old 30-06-2011, 06:53 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know adding paint adds weight!! a bare bonnet is therefore doing its job better
Old 30-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Shilly
Regular Contributor

the whole black roof thing started as it makes the car look lower apparently
Old 30-06-2011, 07:19 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i was thinking painting my focos roof black quite a lot new cars are like that from factory
Old 30-06-2011, 07:20 PM
scd
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

the new vw transporter sportline out in august/september now comes with an option of candy white paint with a gloss black roof and black alloys costing Ł450.
Old 30-06-2011, 09:11 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

some cars do look good
Old 30-06-2011, 09:14 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
The new Skoda Fabia does.
Old 30-06-2011, 09:27 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My roof's black, does that make me a cock?
Old 30-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Rodewaryer

Originally Posted by TIFF
I like it tbh.... not on chavvy corsa's but the right car......Thinking of getting my BMW done ..........

That is one 'beauty' just the way it sits. I don't see any way that can be improved upon.

Originally Posted by turbotoaster
i put this to you.

your trying to build a car as light as possible, so you buy carbon fibre body panels.

do you

a) leave them unpainted and save maximum amount of weight, plus enjoy the look of carbon

b) add weight by painting all the components and make it look standard.

trust me if racecars could get away with no painting over the carbon fibre body shell they could do!

we bareshell painted an intergrale and we think theres around 20kg+ of primer/paint/laquer
It's not a track car and it's just the bonett and I defy anyone to lift it and tell the difference between painted and unpainted. Compared to the steel factory bonett it's a HUGE difference and lighter than others I've personally checked that were unpainted. It can depend on the quality of the CF part. You don't know the situation and shouldn't make judgements without knowing why mine was replaced. If the weight of the paint I used is the best arguement you have for leaving 'one' (1) body part unpainted, well then I won't waste anymore time on the subject as it's not worth debating.

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
............... and not so huge.
Yep, already said that. Finding a pic of a white S4 for comparo wasn't that easy as it was.....let alone with a specific wheel set up.
Old 30-06-2011, 10:06 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

On the right car it can look very good - ie E92 M3, however, very rarely IMO is there a right car to paint the roof black. I can't help but think its no more than a craze which will die out in a few years, and everyone will think back and wonder why?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAR-COSWORTH
I can't help but think its no more than a craze which will die out in a few years, and everyone will think back and wonder why?
And the 'stating the obvious' award goes to...

...you!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
My roof's black, does that make me a cock?

It's not the roof that does that
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 AM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So you hate black wheels but think that modern looking bling bling shite like that looks nice on a classic Lotus?
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Does that mean the E46 M3 CSL was only owned by wankers with no style? Did that look like a cheap, shit car, with it's factory carbon fibre roof?

I assume cars like the Veyron SS and Zonda R are also wanker cars too?

[/IMG]
That looks fucking fantastic to be honest. I absolutely love the Esprit. My dad used to work for Lotus, and this is easily my favourite car they've ever produced. Those wheels make it look amazing. Contrast well with the paint job and give it real purpose and aggression, as well as making it look a bit more modern (though the white paint helps that a lot).

You seem very very opinionated and, judging by another thread, easily offended too. We all like different things at the end of the day. I don't think someone having a carbon panel unpainted makes them look "cheap". Can't be that cheap if they've bought genuine carbon panels

As for this debate....I generally think it does look quite shit in most cases, but I have seen some cars pull it off quite well. It depends on the rest of the cars styling tweaks really.

Don't even get me started on that stupid "carbon" wrap though. It annoys me that people even call it carbon! What it should really be known as, is "expensive fake carbon vinyl cos I'm too tight to buy the real thing". If we go back a few years, you would be laughed at for having fake carbon fibre, yet now it seems to be perfectly acceptable
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

I think it looks quite nice on some cars, has to be quite a smart car anduaually done in satin black, those BMWs are a perfect example onm how to do it right. Leather wrapped roofs (or any other body panel for that matter) on the other hand, are total wank!