General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Warning to all with regard DVLA and selling a car.

Search this Thread

Old 22-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Warning to all with regard DVLA and selling a car.

Righto time to vent some anger and hopefully prevent anyone else getting into the same situation as me. Unfortunately this is my own fault but I have been let down by other people in between!!

I sold my FRS last August in a px deal. The car went to a friend of a friend who I trusted. When we did the deal it was late at night and we pretty much swapped keys and paper work and I left.

I sent off the Evo logbook but this person never sent off the FRS logbook

Lesson to learn here is that it's the sellers responsibility to send off the logbook because you'll get fucked over if the new buyer does not do it as I'll explain...

Anyway the person sold the focus on without ever registering it. Then when he sold it he just handed over the logbook to the new owner. When the tax ran out at end of nov I kept getting letters about SORN etc. I contacted the person I sold the car to to speak to his "mate".

I went to dvla and kept stating I'm no longer the keeper etc. I signed a form to state such and all was well.

I received confirmation from the dvla that I was no longer the keeper but not until March.

Then I received fines for not declaring sorn or taxing the car. I ignored this after speaking to dvla aberdeen as they said I was no longer the keeper.

Anyway I got a letter 2 weeks back from a debt collector. I called them and explained and got so angry I hung up. I called the dvla who were a shower of shite and said even though I sold it because i was not off their records I must pay it whatever happens.

So I contact the person I sold the car to who to be quite frank is being a complete cunt about it. IMO he should man up and offer to pay the fine or at least half. Ultimately we both did wrong. He has fobbed me off now and sent me to the new owner. This person won't answer my calls and his PM box is full so cant take PMs on here.

So looks like I have to pay an 80 quid fine. it's not fair but I guess rules are rules.

Watch out kids and remember to always send off your own fucking logbook when selling up.

I'm guessing one or maybe both these guys will read this post but fuck it. Cheers guys

Chop
Old 22-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`d say you were quite lucky mate , Im sure they can charge an awful lot more than £80 !

But yeah Im with ya , one of them or both should have paid the fine ! Not down to you if they havent registered a car THEY own !
Old 22-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

I'm in the same situation mate... Only I sent the logbook off... And they never received it... So they want 60 off me... So I happily await the bailiffs for a punch up.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Deano
I`d say you were quite lucky mate , Im sure they can charge an awful lot more than £80 !

But yeah Im with ya , one of them or both should have paid the fine ! Not down to you if they havent registered a car THEY own !
It's shite eh mate

The current owner knew full well he wasnt on the logbook. I dont even know if he is now! Dvla cant say anything due to data protection

Originally Posted by rsmat
I'm in the same situation mate... Only I sent the logbook off... And they never received it... So they want 60 off me... So I happily await the bailiffs for a punch up.

Cunts eh! They told me the seller is responsible to check that they receive notification that they are no longer the owner. Does it say that anywhere as I'm not sure where it might!!

I of course told the dvla that I had sent it to them...
Old 22-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

yeah dont fucking pay it. DVLA cannot send baliffs. they can only send a debt collector.

They would have to successfully take you to court and win to send baliffs.

At the moment its hit and miss who they actually take to court.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:40 AM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

not good
Old 22-06-2011, 10:40 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DVA can be a bunch of ba5tards

When i send all my documents off recorded delivery so i got a signature. If they "got lost" and they said they didnt recieve them i would of had to pay for 2 new V5's, 2 duplicate mot certificates and 2 replacement tax dicsc. Could cost a fortune.

DVA in swansea seem even worse, i got my new mondeo over the glasgow and the owner did as you said and have sent the V5 off to swansea who from what the DVA in colarian said swansea cant do anything apart from a change of keeper and send the V5 on to myself which 6 weeks later still isnt here.

Luckily i had the new keepers part and was able to send that to coleraine over here and get the replacement V5 issued.

Wonder when the old V5 from swansea will actually turn up
Old 22-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Rsmat
300+

There fuckers... They rang me saying someone was trying to tax my car... And I said I'm no longer the owner and that I'd sent the logbook off 8 months prior... So gave them the new owners details and even put it in writing and sent it to them... And then 2 months after a letter for 30 so ignored it... Then another 2 months a letter saying it was 60... So I sent it them back with a letter saying go fuck your selfs... So I wait there arrival... If I hadn't sent the logbook then I would be happy to give them there money.

Last edited by Rsmat; 22-06-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Fucking hate writing on iphone
Old 22-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
yeah dont fucking pay it. DVLA cannot send baliffs. they can only send a debt collector.

They would have to successfully take you to court and win to send baliffs.

At the moment its hit and miss who they actually take to court.

TBH I dont need/want the hassle. I want the fine paid to get them to fuck. I work away and dont always receive letters/warnings etc on time. Plus when I'm home I have better things to do than argue with some fucking debt collector or the dvla

PS it has to be me for court as I was the named owner at the date of offence. Even though dvla Aberdeen said it was all fine and I was off the logbook
Old 22-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

there have been a number of cases where the DVLA have mysteriously lost the paperwork then tried to fine people, and the judges threw it out simply on the grounds that it is unreasonable for DVLA to demand that its your responsibility to contact them.

Also many cases have been thrown out over postage because the legal system uses first class post to be considered good enough for serving legal notices so why should it be different writing to DVLA by a member of the public... Hell DVLA has claimed it never recieved signed for or special delivery letters despite proof of delivery
Old 22-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

There fuckers... They rang me saying someone was trying to tax my car... And I said I'm no longer the owner and that I'd sent the logbook off 8 months prior... So gave them the new owners details and even put it in writing and sent it to them... And then 2 months after a letter for 30 so ignored it... Then another 2 months a letter saying it was 60... So I sent it them back with a letter saying go fuck your selfs... So I wait there arrival... If I hadn't sent the logbook then I would be happy to give them there money.

It sucks balls Mat. It seems they can choose rules to suit them!
Old 22-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
there have been a number of cases where the DVLA have mysteriously lost the paperwork then tried to fine people, and the judges threw it out simply on the grounds that it is unreasonable for DVLA to demand that its your responsibility to contact them.

Hmmm. Interesting.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Cunts eh! They told me the seller is responsible to check that they receive notification that they are no longer the owner. Does it say that anywhere as I'm not sure where it might!!
Yes it is very clearly documented, and they have to take this extra step at all of our expense because so many sniveling little dishonest cunts will just lie and say they sent it off and it must have been lost in the post when it wasnt.

So now the DVLA send out a confirmation to the person who has sold the car, and if they dont receive that confirmation it is THEIR responsibility to contact the DVLA to let them know that there might be a problem.

I of course told the dvla that I had sent it to them...

See above
Old 22-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Rsmat
300+

It sucks balls Mat. It seems they can choose rules to suit them!
Yup... As soon as they step on my property i have my own rules... God help them
Old 22-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Chip
Yes it is very clearly documented, and they have to take this extra step at all of our expense because so many sniveling little dishonest cunts will just lie and say they sent it off and it must have been lost in the post when it wasnt.

So now the DVLA send out a confirmation to the person who has sold the car, and if they dont receive that confirmation it is THEIR responsibility to contact the DVLA to let them know that there might be a problem.

See above

lol

Old 22-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

debt collectors have no powers anyway

even baliffs in this country have very limited powers. its only magistrates fines, council tax and unpaid taxes that the baliffs can with SPECIFIC court permission get the right to force entry.

no baliff has the power to break in for unsecured debt. infact many debt collection agencys illegally and wrongly threaten people with baliff action and claim to send baliffs round the house when until a county court judgement has been issued, then a baliff cannot be legally used. Also many DCA's who have certificated baliffs from the local court again illegally use them to threaten people for debts.

A baliff is only entitled to the "title" and the powers it entails on order from a court for a specific debt and specific actions. Anything else is misrepresentation at the very least!!

You would have to be forced bankrupt and the court then use baliffs to sieze your assets if you refuse to comply. Although you would then be in contempt of court obviously

too many people dont know thier rights when it comes to such things and are bullied into paying up due to complete lies and aggressive actions by debt companies.
Hmmm. Interesting.
an example case for a solicitor to use is the case of Duncan Peck vs DVLA heard in march 2010. It was the case used on the watchdog exposee on DVLA scam fines so is quite well known. The judge said "the DVLA has no statutory power requiring anyone to contact them should they not receive an acknowledgment letter".

Many similar cases have been won. So if you want to stand by your principles and challenge the cunts then a good solicitor should win it for you. Although you shouldnt need a solicitor if you do your own research.
Old 22-06-2011, 11:05 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be interesting for us to find out who it was on here mate.... just a thought. Wouldn't want any other members to fall foul of their shite chat and lack of conscience.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 22-06-2011, 11:12 AM
RstAaron.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I am in the same situation, luckily the car has been broken for parts and I have just sorn'd it for now til I can get the address of the person who had it off of me and they can deal with the hassle come 12 months time when THEY have to tax/sorn it.
Old 22-06-2011, 11:46 AM
RigPig
Advanced PassionFord User

Same here, debt collectors letter arrived last year, never even bothered to get in touch with them, not heard a thing since. Let them come to spain and try and get it off me !!!
Old 22-06-2011, 11:48 AM
rsfido_1989

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sorn it mate... He looses it if its being driven.. Either its being driven un taxes or sorn will be ok.
Old 22-06-2011, 12:26 PM
nellyscossy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

this happened to me, i sold a motor and sent off the book, three months later i had a £80 fine saying i hadnt told them i sold it, i told them to piss off...then i get a letter threatening me with court, i ring up and tell them tuff, i said that i had sent the logbook off and that was that..they then threatened me with balliffs and court..that was a year ago and nothing heard since
Old 22-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

if DVLA still have you as the registered keeper why don't you inform them that you have scrapped it I'm sure the new owner would be happy to take your calls then
Old 22-06-2011, 01:08 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Come on, name the people on here! Why should you pay it? If some other guy owned it and should have had the fine then fuck paying it yourself.

I'd happily let the DVLA take me to court. Inform the guy you sold it to that's what will happen and tell him you'll provide the court with his contact info.
Old 22-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mannock
if DVLA still have you as the registered keeper why don't you inform them that you have scrapped it I'm sure the new owner would be happy to take your calls then
Lol

GENIUS!
Old 22-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Tony Mannock

HOLY SHIT

Why oh why did I not mention this here when it first happened

I would've been well up for that!

Unfortunately I'm no longer the keeper so cant do anything
Old 22-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Tottie xr2
Built not bought

Name and shame the bellends.....
Old 22-06-2011, 04:23 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

HOLY SHIT

Why oh why did I not mention this here when it first happened

I would've been well up for that!

Unfortunately I'm no longer the keeper so cant do anything
I was just thinking this . but if the dvla have find you then they still think your the owner . or send of for the log book then send it back saying the car is in the bin . you have been shafted big time mate on this
Old 22-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by COLEYST200
I was just thinking this . but if the dvla have find you then they still think your the owner . or send of for the log book then send it back saying the car is in the bin . you have been shafted big time mate on this

Nah as I said I signed something in the dvla office last year, not sure which month, saying I was no longer the keeper.

DVLA did not send me a "you are no longer the keeper" letter until march

I did consider re-applying for the logbook at the time and wish I fucking did now.
Old 22-06-2011, 04:33 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

geez terrible this, hope it gets sorted...whenever ive bought a car i always get the whole log book off the seller and say its ok i`ll send it, cos you never know if other people will do it...

dont some other countries just go to a post office or something and the car gets swapped over there and then, think i saw somewhere..
Old 22-06-2011, 04:44 PM
RstAaron.

Originally Posted by rik-rs
whenever ive bought a car i always get the whole log book off the seller and say its ok i`ll send it, cos you never know if other people will do it...
That's the wrong way round though?! It's in the interest of the previous owner to send it so they don't get tax reminders or speeding tickets for a car they no longer own.
Old 22-06-2011, 04:51 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

i know yeah but have had a a mate who bought a car and owner never sent the stuff off, etc caused him right mayhem...
Old 22-06-2011, 04:59 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there useless, i keep getting sorn letters for 4 cars ive owned that ive scrapped and sent the log books off as scrap even with confirmation letters off them to tell me the car is scrapped

tried phoning them but just get automated service saying there too busy and it hangs up
Old 22-06-2011, 05:18 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

harsh lesson learnt; could have been worse, could have had loads of speeding fines & parking tickets etc

i always insist on sending the V5 off to the dvla if i sell a car, i've had it so many times where the new buyer has offered to send it off to save me the hassle!
Old 22-06-2011, 06:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't pay it, dvla have sold the debt on, it seems.
I keep getting letters for cars including A436OVF that I scrapped about 6 years ago, the V5 was sent back filled in and sent signed for, it was also faxed and emailed, and a dvla licensed recycler was used who also informed them by phone as well as sending off the signed for V5, I've been threatened with all manner of stuff from them.
It happens all the time they are a bunch of twats in record keeping ways.
tabetha
Old 22-06-2011, 06:54 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Bunch of useless fuckers.

with regard to things being lost in the post, anything even slightly important I send recorded / special delivery. Only costs a few more pence and it gives you peace of mind that it arrived.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:15 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my dad sold one of mine while i was on holiday to a smackhead who did allsorts of shit in it,i ended up with 500quids worth of fines cos he didnt take 10 mins to sort the logbook,there arseholes the dvla are.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:16 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

last year when i sent paper work to dvla i sent it signed for 6 weeks later still no joy rang them ,to be told they never recived it .
i told them that the post office said it had been signed for ??
hour later they phoned back ,they found it sorted in a week handy
Old 22-06-2011, 07:42 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

harsh lesson but always make sure you as the seller have sent the paperwork off, ideally recorded delivery.

Recording it as scrap would have been a master stroke.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:56 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if you are still getting letters and they think you own it re apply for the logbook then report the car stolen, that will really fuck up there day and you may even get the car back for free lol
Old 22-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i had an £80 fine for my old motorbike that got wrote off, i sent the log book off saying it was scrapped, then months down the line got a letter from some debt collectors. several phonecalls later to the useless cunts and i ended up paying the fine...

i actually found the logbook for the bike the other day, but i was fucking adement that i sent it off

Quick Reply: Warning to all with regard DVLA and selling a car.