General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Insurance advice...

Search this Thread

Old 31-05-2011 | 11:21 PM
Muttley
I am The Stig.

Default Insurance advice...

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I have questions that I am hoping someone may be able to answer...

Okay so I'll set the scene I'm sat on a road waiting for a parking space to become available as I could see an old bloke getting in his car and had to pop into the bank so while I am waiting for him I pull back a little bit and stick my hazards on then as said old codger comes out I realise he's gunna hit me so I gave a loud blast of the horn and nothing he's still coming at me and then smashed into the driver's side. The geezer then begins to pull forward I'm thinking "Yep he's realised what he's done and is gunna pull in!" then he starts to speed up so I then gave chase he ccelerated to around 50mph down the sidestreet near there and pulled onto a one way system without so much as looking. Unfortunately I lost him in traffic but did get his plate (photographic memory - absolute curse sometimes, godsend at others!)

Did everything I needed to do reported it to police, had to go to the station to make a statement where I was breathalysed etc they took the plate and have found the driver of the car who is insured thank god but claims he didn't realise he'd hit another car...HIS CAR CLIMBED MY WING!!!

Long story cut short my car is a 1998 Mondeo Ghia TD Estate with only 90k on the clock and is in pristine condition both mechanically and body and I wasjust wondering whether the insurance company would take this into consideration or is it going to be a write off?

If it is a write off what's the value I'm likely to get estimated value on my policy is £700 and I'm fully comprehensive. Have the other guy's details now just a waiting game I suppose. Any help would be so gratefully appreciated as I love my car
Old 31-05-2011 | 11:35 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

your going to get screwed money wise.

sorry but thats the way it is with insurance and old bangers.
Old 01-06-2011 | 10:12 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Your car will be a write off. Take the money and buy the car back to fix yourself.
Old 01-06-2011 | 04:02 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Was it just the drivers door damaged ?, if so it won't be a write off.
My dads mondeo mk1 has just had some work done, that was not written off, but came to about £600, if it's pushed the pillar in, cost wise forget it, but it is YOUR car, no insurance company can write it off without your agreement, you just settle the claim on the basis you retain title(ownership) of the car, get paid out, get repaired yourself, could be quids in.
Me astra has been written off now 3 or 4 times, still insured by the same company, just pocketed the money, 1 of the repairs hasn't been done, as keep forgetting about it, it's a very shallow dent about 1" long in the rear 1/4, quote was to weld in a complete new 1/4, on a L reg astra wtf!!
tabetha
Old 02-06-2011 | 01:04 AM
Muttley
I am The Stig.

So I'm looking at a write-off even though it's not a run of the mill old banger Mondeo?

Pre-accident it was pristine condition 90,000 on the clock (14k of those are mine) no rips in the seats or anything it was like a museum piece it was so clean the last MOT all it needed to pass was a bulb in the plate light carrier...Gives a clue a to how good it is.

What I can see it needing is a new front bumper, possibly a wing maybe the dent will just pop out, and a tiny dent in the drivers door pulling out and then a few scuffs blowing over. Getting it repaired myself isn't an option as it's a pearlescent colour a deep purple shade which is extremely rare according to Ford. Mine is 1 out of 7 in existence they said that is in that shade but it's £57 for an aerosol can of that colour...

What sort of price am I looking to get for it should the worst happen?
Old 02-06-2011 | 05:14 AM
bunnymofo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

well fuck me, £57 for a rattle tin :O
Old 06-06-2011 | 05:20 AM
Muttley
I am The Stig.

The damage was to front O/S wing/ O/S/F door and front bumper basically he's backed out of a parking space on a street nearby I've been waiting for his space so hung back a little knowing he'd got adequate room to manouevre he's reversed into the front of the wing scraped it all the length and put a ripple in the drivers door as he's drove off he's turned across the front of the car and scraped the bumper which has been pulled away a bit.

The place that'll be repairing it have had a look as they are Tescos appointed repairers they said cost of the work would be around £650-£750 all in and that it's completely repairable and they also said it's unlikely they'll write it off as mine's worth £1,100 at the lowest estimate!!!

Also remarked on the superb condition it's in so I'm a little happier now they've deemed it was his fault just waiting for my courtesy car and repair date now, the courtesy car will be a like for like vehicle which makes me happy too as I need the space in it to be fair!
Old 06-06-2011 | 10:16 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Tell the insurer "bollocks" you want it repairing. They are obliged to return you to the same state you were in prior to the accident.

I've not lost an argument yet with an insurer. My brothers Fiesta got rear ended and the guys insurer sent a cheque for £900 declaring it a total loss. Within 6 weeks we had the car at a bodyshop chosen by us with £2k of repairs completely at their expense. Insurers assume you will roll over and do what they tell you.
Old 06-06-2011 | 10:51 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Tell the insurer "bollocks" you want it repairing. They are obliged to return you to the same state you were in prior to the accident.

I've not lost an argument yet with an insurer. My brothers Fiesta got rear ended and the guys insurer sent a cheque for £900 declaring it a total loss. Within 6 weeks we had the car at a bodyshop chosen by us with £2k of repairs completely at their expense. Insurers assume you will roll over and do what they tell you.
You tell em bruv