General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Nurburgring Bridge To Gantry Times - What Are Yours?

Search this Thread

Old 24-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, the "passionford ring trip 2010" photo

and WHO can forget about these pictures !!!

and the "top gear challenge"

these trips have been some of my favorite parts of my life to date if im honest
Old 25-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ginge - I have a few of the stuffed animal photos, not idea why LOL Top Gear challenge was a laugh pmsl
Old 01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

What are you guys using to record your video and mount it in the cars?
I believe the marshalls can ban you for recording?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Camera mounted off the cage for me, although not actually got any videos uploaded from that trip.

You will usually be banned for the day, not a lifetime but still best to come onto the track and pull over on the right to sort your camera out then get your passenger to remove it before you come off circuit.

I have known a few people to get caught out whilst on circuit as they slowed for a incident and the marshalls have radioed through the guys at the exit and you get a tug there.

I've just spoken to a mate of mine who got back from Germany at the weekend, a good trip apart from his mate totalling his Focos but anyway he said you can now pay something like 30 euros and have cameras attached to your car, no idea if this is true or not though, he only heard it from someone there.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

170bhp
10:30mins'ish

2 people died that weekend, so was far from pushing it, and the suspension had a bit of a knock

might try and get under 10mins next year, as it has 250bhp now
Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
170bhp

2 people died that weekend, so was far from pushing it, and the suspension had a bit of a knock

Reading this, I think my initial plan of getting a 10:something was a bit ambitious on my first trip... considering whatever I'll have will, at best, have a similar power:weight ratio as the 205.

So I'm going to aim for anything under sub-15 minutes when I eventually get there.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

My time is very slow, was my first visit and just took my time didn't plan to time it, but used the video camera time, only did a few laps too,

Ideally need a passenger that knows the road to give tips
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Sketch
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Smit
Awesome vids Si

What's Nige's power wise compared to what yours was?
I'm running somewhere between 360-380bhp, never had it on the rollers cos the thing just works!!

Exe-tc coilovers and Carbotech XP-10 pads in the standard (and quite poor) Brembo's and a set of R888's are the only mods on top of the remap.

Now a set of AP 6 Pots + 362mm discs have made their way onto my car, the aim is a lap time beginning with a 7.....

Later this year we'll see if I can get it

Si's monster is circa 600bhp and makes mine look like its got 100bhp
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 PM
scarabman
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

my best was 8.45 with my old 280bhp setup and unbelievably shite cooper tyres,i know i could faster if i knew the track better but as other people have mentioned i don't like to comit too much as i had to drive it home,aslong as you go out and have fun thats all that matters
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

170bhp

I could get YOU driving your car under 9 mins in 1 lap EASILY.

I could do under 10 in your car using just 3rd gear....

whilst blindfolded!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

its 29 euros to hire a Gopro from the official Ring people Stu. Just do that mate...

or buy a Gopro... as they all look the same
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

you probably could

i should have taken jonny "hang bag" bravo out and he could have let me know the track, just didnt get to

yeah the car is quite capable of under 10mins, but just wanted to enjoy rather than die..lol

it was the world renault series weekend too, so was stupid busy
Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

you probably could

i should have taken jonny "hang bag" bravo out and he could have let me know the track, just didnt get to

yeah the car is quite capable of under 10mins, but just wanted to enjoy rather than die..lol

it was the world renault series weekend too, so was stupid busy
I was too concerned about you stopping half way to rape my arse !

Fair enough though it was a very busy weekend and tbh one I'd rather forget about

Lots of fun on the way out though with the walkie talkies and strutter nav !

I do agree with Lee though, I have no doubt your 205 would of outhandled my nova so if that could drop into the 8's then yours would too, the driver training done a LOT to my confidence when I was there though and that played a big part in me getting my car round there in such a time, I struggled to put the M3 round there in a similar time but it was never quiet enough to get a good lap in and the only time there was Dave decided to throw the M3 into the barrier on the 3rd corner muppet.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
the driver training done a LOT to my confidence when I was there though
Tell me more abouit this training please...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Spikeys car with him at the wheel should be able to do an 8:30 or less I would have thought if he got plenty of practice in.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

will hopefully try and get there in 2012 and pick a quiet week, rather than weekend too
Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Tell me more abouit this training please...
I simply met a guy in 2005 that does training out there, he was staying in our hotel and watched out videos with us to then explain that we were all likely to die sometime soon so offered us all a lap in his car.

I actually got on with him quite well and went through the layout with him and the white spots used for driver training, they also use changes in tarmac and scenery as turn in points or more importantly places to avoid at speed, places to have a confidence lift to settle the car and areas where you dont seem to lift off for ages.

My best BTG prior to that was a 9.11, on my own and I'll openly admit I was pushing the car flat out round a track I hardly knew, I scared myself stupid as the car was too harsh and I was being too aggressive, we played with the suspension, put a spare in the back for extra weight and started to learn how to be smoother which actually made the laps easier and considerably faster.

I've been out with a few experienced drivers round there, when we went out there with Ryan and Rainbird I got a few passenger laps in a well known E30 that was insane, he is there ALL the time and knows the track far too well lol Mike is also another person who knows his way round a ring... sorry the ring, super smooth but in that car which I think he will admit was at its best was a amazing experience, shame the crank died after the 2nd lap as we were on a mission

Anytime I go I try to get out with some locals, its also worth asking and they will usually have no problem doing it, I wanted to go out in the Ring Mini but after seeing the oldschool standard passenger seat I didn't even bother asking
Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

watched out videos with us to then explain that we were all likely to die sometime soon
Ha Ha... love it! Is he a local, can I contact him and book some training for my trip?

My best BTG prior to that was a 9.11,
Mine is 9:20 and I also feel I was pushing too hard to get that.

Mike is also another person who knows his way round
I have been out with Mike twice as well, amazing experience, that fella really can drive extremely well.

Anytime I go I try to get out with some locals, its also worth asking and they will usually have no problem doing it
I may just do that, but I am wary of passenger laps with strangers in fast cars on deadly racetracks that even racing drivers nickname "The Green hell"
Old 02-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

http://www.pistonheads.tv/clip1575

Love this Clip. Gonna take my 911 and Westy out there in August... I wont be going anywhere NEAR this fast though!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I may just do that, but I am wary of passenger laps with strangers in fast cars on deadly racetracks that even racing drivers nickname "The Green hell"
Rightly so.

I don't go out with anyone if I don't have to. Hate it

I almost caused a massive accident late on sunday evening. I was massively on it at a really fast point of the course at almost 150mph in my Exige. There was hardly any traffic out there. It has no rearview mirror and is so hard to see behind you from little wing mirrors. Load of blindspots... and I totally missed a new GT3RS come up on me. Just had NO idea he was there and started to pull across on him. JUST saw him at last moment....

would have been a BIG ONE and in my mind all my fault

Last edited by Porkie; 02-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Sadly not, I couldn't even tell you his name ! seemed like a right arsehole at first but I can now see what he was getting at !

You will find that most people with a annual wrist band will not take any chances, they are super smooth and don't need too.

On the same trip there with Mike I went out in a V8 RS4 with some British guy, didn't know him at all, paid for his lap and my god ! we were on the grass exiting corners in most places, mentally fast but he was being a idiot in a fast car, no respect for others at all.

One thing I did do to help me remember the white spots etc. was to keep pointing them out to my passenger lap after lap, don't go mad and just keep trying to follow them and I soon found my laps were getting increasingly smoother and faster.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
Rightly so.

I don't go out with anyone if I don't have to. Hate it
Depends who it is though, locals with cars like yours dont take chances, they are FAR more respectful than most British drivers who think they own the circuit, they are also full of knowledge of the place, they will know things that you would never otherwise know.

The ring is a great place with some great locals, spoilt by the amount of muppets who turn up in shitters or fooking fast cars but have 0% track knowledge.

Last edited by JonnyBravo; 02-06-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Doing a track day there on the 18th July, so providing all is well, I'll post some vids up the (as it is a track day, recording is allowed with your own equipment), and can also do a full lap .
Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Doing a track day there on the 18th July, so providing all is well, I'll post some vids up the (as it is a track day, recording is allowed with your own equipment), and can also do a full lap .
Hope it goes well for you Mike
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

The ring is a great place with some great locals, spoilt by the amount of muppets who turn up in shitters or fooking fast cars but have 0% track knowledge.
dont really agree with this.

Seen plenty of bullying locals with no respect for other track users. Happened to me on sunday few times.

Also not everyone can afford a fast or good car so why does that make them a muppet? as long as its safe and not leaking anything. They should enjoy the road like anyone else.

and why does having a fast car but driving slowly make you a muppet? As long as you use your mirrors and respect other road users then good for them,

and EVERYONE starts off with 0% track knowledge in my opinion. (I dont subscribe at all to playing it on Playstation theory)

There are of course idiots at the ring. But you get that everywhere in life....
Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Seen plenty of bullying locals with no respect for other track users. Happened to me on sunday few times.

Also not everyone can afford a fast or good car so why does that make them a muppet? as long as its safe and not leaking anything. They should enjoy the road like anyone else.

and why does having a fast car but driving slowly make you a muppet? As long as you use your mirrors and respect other road users then good for them,

and EVERYONE starts off with 0% track knowledge in my opinion. (I dont subscribe at all to playing it on Playstation theory)

This is why I won't do public days anymore. You tend to get people book on the track days that have far more laps under their belt and have nothing to prove.....
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Ok fair point, but then talk to people in the car park, you get a rough idea wether the guy is a complete tool and usually you have seen them out on track and if they "bullied" you or someone you know out of the way then thats a fair reason not to get in their car.

There are rules to the track and plenty of people don't abide by them, for instance the guy that still thought it was ok to to go flat out through a yellow lit section to find the coolant from my m3 on the circuit which in turn nearly killed him, simple rules as any track has but with more people on track at once its to be expected but that doesn't make it right or acceptable.

By muppets I simply meant the people who turn up and on their 1st lap try to break the lap record, I am sure and I know several of us have been there when someone has got it majorly wrong and from what I have heard they were usually trying too hard resulting in a accident, then ofcourse there is a huge amount of badly prepped cars out there, people driving around knowing they have a small leak or similar, wether you like the statement or not there are a lot of them.

I do agree we all have to start somewhere but the amount of times I've followed people round there who will simply not get out of the way as they feel they own the road as A: their car is far superior to mine or B: its one of those cars without any mirrors.

I can't deny everyone starts with no track knowledge but you atleast need some if you go there, its not a place to go to have your first attempt at going round a circuit.

If I was going to go anywhere it would be Spa or the Nurburgring F1 circuit only, the long circuit wont suit my car and both of those would be much more fun as long as I took slicks and wets as no doubt the weather would be iffy !

Anyway this is going slightly off topic now, we all know its dangerous, just be sensible

Last edited by JonnyBravo; 02-06-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Chip

The worst for not getting out of the way are the bikers generally, but TBH having ridden fast bikes I can see why, the mirrors arent great at the best of time and even worse vibrating around and with you hanging off one side of the bike leaning it over etc so messing up their alignment.

I just make allowances for the fact they havent seen me, if you are trying to pass someone its your responsibility to be sure you have consent or a safe path through without consent first IMHO, not the responsibility of the person being overtaken, especially given there are NOT blue flags, so why expect other track users to act like they are under a blue flag?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Chip
The worst for not getting out of the way are the bikers generally, but TBH having ridden fast bikes I can see why, the mirrors arent great at the best of time and even worse vibrating around and with you hanging off one side of the bike leaning it over etc so messing up their alignment.

I just make allowances for the fact they havent seen me, if you are trying to pass someone its your responsibility to be sure you have consent or a safe path through without consent first IMHO, not the responsibility of the person being overtaken, especially given there are NOT blue flags, so why expect other track users to act like they are under a blue flag?
Yet another reason for doing a dedicated track day - no bikers (or busses ).
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

This is why I won't do public days anymore. You tend to get people book on the track days that have far more laps under their belt and have nothing to prove.....

Er? you haven't done a SINGLE trackday there yet...

and you havent been to the Ring in what 2 or 3 years?

So its hardly your specialist subject is it whats next? Tips from you on how to please a woman in bed?

Trust me... you see some SHOCKING driving on the trackdays. Mainly from VLN cars who use the trackdays to test. Or Race teams that use the trackdays to take out sponsers and team VIPs.

The reasons that there are less stopages at Trackdays are simple in my opinion.

No bikes and cars on track same time.
Less cars in general.
and Less stoppages leads to people going less 'crazy' when they do get a chance to get out there! its a viscous circle that one.
90% of the people there DO have some experience though... this doesnt make them LESS likely to have something to prove (the oppo is actually true!) It does mean though that they know to check their mirrors alot and not make any silly moves.

Last edited by Porkie; 02-06-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Chip

If you want to drive it like you are on a trackday, then a dedicated trackday makes a lot of sense to me Lee, (and Ive not done one either like Mike) and if you want to drive around like a tourist looking at the view and not getting out of the way and generally being a tourist, then go on a tourist day.

Dont go on a tourist day though, and then complain its full of people driving like tourists, thats just fucking ridiculous

Last edited by Chip; 02-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:09 PM
gil
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

nova spin 2.0 16valve

best times last september 9.30 now building 20v turbo mk1 caddy for this september

best time in my 2wd cossie sapph was 10.03
Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Yet another reason for doing a dedicated track day - no bikers (or busses ).

Interestingly... last few times I have been, for some reason the last few hours of the day they have shut the track to bikers!

Been awesome!

Thought it was weather related. But it was bright sunshine on sunday?!?!?

You will LOVE racing with the VLN cars Mike.... They DON'T get out of your way though! They will HATE it when you are pushing them along in your 9 tonne road Escort with its leather interior! Its v v v cool being on track with proper racecars.

Gutted I am not going. Circuit days gave me credit though. Was good of them

Last edited by Porkie; 02-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Chip
If you want to drive it like you are on a trackday, then a dedicated trackday makes a lot of sense to me Lee, (and Ive not done one either like Mike) and if you want to drive around like a tourist looking at the view and not getting out of the way and generally being a tourist, then go on a tourist day.

Dont go on a tourist day though, and then complain its full of people driving like tourists, thats just fucking ridiculous

TF days are supposed to run like a dual carriage way. right lane for driving. Left lane for overtalking.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

TF days are supposed to run like a dual carriage way. right lane for driving. Left lane for overtalking.
Exactly !
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Chip

Indeed they are and yet still people get annoyed at others for being on the apex going slowly on a righthand bend
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

TBH everytime ive thought of doing the ring Chip has talked me out of it and rightly so, I simply cant afford to pay for the damages if I have an off or cause an off.

I want to go there next time Porkie and Chip go but will be going with all my camera gear and just photographing the event, maybe take a video camera or something.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Dlatch!
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really can't understand why the bikers and cars are not separated on their own sessions
it really does seem bonkers to let them run at the same time
as a car driver i would hate to catch one fast without him knowing i was there and as a biker i would hate cars flying past
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't deny everyone starts with no track knowledge but you atleast need some if you go there, its not a place to go to have your first attempt at going round a circuit.
it's not a circuit though is it? it's maybe not a good idea to do a trackday there as your first trackday, and definitely not a good idea to drive it like a trackday on a tourist day, but no reason not to go there on a tourist day and drive like a tourist. you have to start somewhere. if you hold people up on corners on a tourist day but are taking a sensible line, it's not your problem or responsibility to totally get out of the way of faster traffic.

Anyway this is going slightly off topic now, we all know its dangerous, just be sensible
Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Er? you haven't done a SINGLE trackday there yet...

and you havent been to the Ring in what 2 or 3 years?

So its hardly your specialist subject is it whats next? Tips from you on how to please a woman in bed?

Trust me... you see some SHOCKING driving on the trackdays. Mainly from VLN cars who use the trackdays to test. Or Race teams that use the trackdays to take out sponsers and team VIPs.

The reasons that there are less stopages at Trackdays are simple in my opinion.

No bikes and cars on track same time.
Less cars in general.
and Less stoppages leads to people going less 'crazy' when they do get a chance to get out there! its a viscous circle that one.
90% of the people there DO have some experience though... this doesnt make them LESS likely to have something to prove (the oppo is actually true!) It does mean though that they know to check their mirrors alot and not make any silly moves.
WTF are you on about, before I took my car off the road to do the resto, I'd been going twice a year since 2001 . And if you look back to ANY of my posts regarding the Ring, I vowed after the last time I went, that due to the number of stoppages, I'd NEVER do another public day . So true to my word, the first opportunity I have to go, I've booked a dedicated track day (and for all the reasons that YOU have stated and concurred with you muppet ) .

Quick Reply: Nurburgring Bridge To Gantry Times - What Are Yours?