General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford Fair - Ford only track time?

Search this Thread

Old 20-05-2011, 06:13 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

Although Im a Ford man I can see this as a own goal ! as so far this year show numbers are down and bookings for shows in the club scene have fallen as RS Central Show and Fitp were full of empty club stands spaces ,so allowing all cars on track would be a better option and at least bring is some revenue ,I did enquire about there being a cavalcade for fords big anniversary and even that of the RS2000 16v 20th anniversary and was told they would rather have the revenue from track time
Old 20-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
Although Im a Ford man I can see this as a own goal ! as so far this year show numbers are down and bookings for shows in the club scene have fallen as RS Central Show and Fitp were full of empty club stands spaces ,so allowing all cars on track would be a better option and at least bring is some revenue ,I did enquire about there being a cavalcade for fords big anniversary and even that of the RS2000 16v 20th anniversary and was told they would rather have the revenue from track time
exactly can understand fords on stands but track time aint cheap think this is a big shoot in the foot
Old 20-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I will be on track in my cossie this year. It will be the first time ive been on track in my car. Ive done 3 track days now. I will be doing a session in the morning then Blacky will be driving it in the afternoon. I havent done many shows over the last few years cause it costs a fortune to go anywhere.
Old 20-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least I shouldn't struggle to get track time this year
Old 20-05-2011, 07:45 AM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a passenger ride please Gary
Old 20-05-2011, 08:18 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Not an own goal in the slightest. Every year we get complaints about non-Fords going round the track, especially when we've sold out of tickets and there are Ford owners who want to get out but can't because an Evo, or 205, or Scooby has taken what they see as 'their' space.

We also sell out of track time every year, and don't expect this year to be any different.

As for the cavalcade comment - only those in the cavalcade actually enjoy it, for everyone else, it's a time to go off and grab a burger. Unless the cars are really rare, or special, cavalcades are a pain in the arse to organise, very dull for spectators and IMO a waste of track time.

Regarding the 'declining' car show attendance. Last year Ford Fair had the highest attendance figures it had ever achieved, and the majority of Future's car shows showed growth.

If you want the shows to grow and expand, then you need to make the show better, and crucially different every year. While I appreciate this is much easier for a company the size of Future, who have a dedicated Events team - but shows like FITP will gradually shrink if it's exactly the same show every year. FITP hasn't changed for the last three years, and it's probably why people were leaving from as early as 1pm, and by around 3pm the stands were being packed up!

So, in summary - sorry if we've put any non-Ford owner's noses out of joint - but hey, it is Ford Fair!!
Old 20-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree with the above, it's a bit shit when you can't get track time at a dedicated Ford show, because there's loads of different makes on track.
Old 20-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

then would it make sense IF the sessions dont sell out close to the time then offer them to anyone ?
Old 20-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think people thinking its a bad move financially for the show probably are overestimating the amount of revenue collected from track pass sales.

If 10% of the track time doesnt sell now, thats going to be less of a hit on revenue than if 10% of the punters get pissed off keep seeing non fords on track and stop coming back to buy entry tickets.
Old 20-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Jay_
then would it make sense IF the sessions dont sell out close to the time then offer them to anyone ?
It wouldnt make sense if the perception is that its a better show for ford fans if there are only fords on track. its a show about pleasing the gate paying punter first and foremost Im sure.

Mind you, I bet the silverstone lotus's people go out in wont be replaced by focus rs's?
Old 20-05-2011, 08:58 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Chip
Mind you, I bet the silverstone lotus's people go out in wont be replaced by focus rs's?
We've battled and battled about the Lotus' - more because of how they drive, rather than what they are. But they make a lot of cash for Silverstone, and they won't budge. They won't however be out on the Novice sessions.
Old 20-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by boost mad
i have a passenger ride please Gary
Yeah no bother mate!
Old 20-05-2011, 09:00 AM
STeve

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Not an own goal in the slightest. Every year we get complaints about non-Fords going round the track, especially when we've sold out of tickets and there are Ford owners who want to get out but can't because an Evo, or 205, or Scooby has taken what they see as 'their' space.

We also sell out of track time every year, and don't expect this year to be any different.

As for the cavalcade comment - only those in the cavalcade actually enjoy it, for everyone else, it's a time to go off and grab a burger. Unless the cars are really rare, or special, cavalcades are a pain in the arse to organise, very dull for spectators and IMO a waste of track time.

Regarding the 'declining' car show attendance. Last year Ford Fair had the highest attendance figures it had ever achieved, and the majority of Future's car shows showed growth.

If you want the shows to grow and expand, then you need to make the show better, and crucially different every year. While I appreciate this is much easier for a company the size of Future, who have a dedicated Events team - but shows like FITP will gradually shrink if it's exactly the same show every year. FITP hasn't changed for the last three years, and it's probably why people were leaving from as early as 1pm, and by around 3pm the stands were being packed up!

So, in summary - sorry if we've put any non-Ford owner's noses out of joint - but hey, it is Ford Fair!!

Thanks for the reply to my post Dan ,I too would prefer Ford shows to be just that as Im Ford through and through for my sins and I have attended Ford Fair since the mid 90s when it was held in oxfordshire ,and paul swifts show last year was bloody good as myself and my son enjoyed it from what we saw 8 rows back in a crowd ,It was also reported to me that Cornburys rallye show was also a let down this year and poorly attended

my comments really only relate to 2011 show season so far and the 3 shows mentioned have all showed large signs of decline ,I really hope allowing only Fords to do track time pays off to see if this stance is justified ,but like most car enthusiasts I would much rather see a saph and a scooby going hell for leather against each other giving it the beans as it makes better viewing for everyone

its a shame you feel negative towards cavalcades because everyone that would like to take part may be their only chance ever to drive on a race track even if at a restricted speed,I have been lucky and been part of these twice at silverstone and the memories for me and my son were priceless, as he had gone around on a circuit which the world famous F1 stars have graced ,he will drop that into every conversation as long as he is interested in cars
Old 20-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

We've battled and battled about the Lotus' - more because of how they drive, rather than what they are. But they make a lot of cash for Silverstone, and they won't budge. They won't however be out on the Novice sessions.
must admit thought that a few years its been a piss take when real race car drivers are out among just regular track day people and abusing the fact
Old 20-05-2011, 09:35 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

its a shame you feel negative towards cavalcades because everyone that would like to take part may be their only chance ever to drive on a race track even if at a restricted speed,I have been lucky and been part of these twice at silverstone and the memories for me and my son were priceless, as he had gone around on a circuit which the world famous F1 stars have graced ,he will drop that into every conversation as long as he is interested in cars
i've been round the track several times and each time i'm thinking to myself "is this the line schumaker took when he had his big off?" or "how much quicker would senna have been in my car?" or "why doesn't jenson shave off his silly bum fluff?"

track time on an internationally famous racing circuit is, for most of us, a virtually impossible dream, so when you have a ford show, it seems a bit silly to leave it open for all makes and models

as for trax, i'm not sure how the scene has changed, but trax wasn't a show i really wanted to take my car out on the track, simply because the boy racer brigade may not have as much talent/respect as they think and it's a bigger risk for everyone concerned

which leads me to jays point below

Originally Posted by Jay_
must admit thought that a few years its been a piss take when real race car drivers are out among just regular track day people and abusing the fact
showing off for people about how quick they are, they may realise that there are novices out there, but the novice is hardly going to expect to have someone driving so far on the limit to impress their passenger to do what they do, which greatly increases the chance of an off

and if the instructor collects a regular punter out on the track, who do they apportion blame to?

the novice is going to get properly reamed for getting in the way while the professional is going to say they had control of their car right up until the other guy crashed into them
Old 20-05-2011, 10:54 AM
STeve

dojj you have met me enough in person to know im a dedicated Ford man ,I just hope its the right direction to take with show numbers falling
Old 20-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

to me it makes sence that its ford only, no point having a ford show if the owners are all other cars then in reality what happens to the lack of interest in old fords ?

ill admit they are getting old now but for that fact it makes it more interesting seeing them out on track PLUS stop the ford lads who cant get a space because the non ford lads have,,,,, this should have been a rule from the start IMO and im not a ford owner btw
Old 20-05-2011, 01:17 PM
dojj

dojj you have met me enough in person to know im a dedicated Ford man ,I just hope its the right direction to take with show numbers falling
no one could ever question your fordness mate but with ford fair being the one show that virtually everyone pulls out all the stops to make and get their cars ready for, i don't think declining numbers will affect it as much as some of the other shows

i think what is a more important factor is the size of the show and the layout meaning that it would almost certainly be better for the punters as a weekend event even though it wouldn't make as much money

and then you'd have 2 days worth of lotus twats buzzing around you like the wasps do in that period of the summer
Old 20-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

It wouldnt make sense if the perception is that its a better show for ford fans if there are only fords on track. its a show about pleasing the gate paying punter first and foremost Im sure.

FPMSL tbh done loads of days at silverstone so im not bothered and i dont like the session idea and i wont miss trying to miss oil patches all overe the track
Old 20-05-2011, 02:22 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

• 3 wheel cars are not permitted on the circuit

Can you imagine Delboy booking on in his 3 wheeler van!?
Old 20-05-2011, 02:48 PM
dojj

so you couldn't turn up in one of these then?

http://www.techfresh.net/new-design-...-street-racer/
Old 20-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
so you couldn't turn up in one of these then?

http://www.techfresh.net/new-design-...-street-racer/
No!! its not a Ford your not really reading this thread are you Dojj .

Dont despair Dojj you could buy one of these.

I don't know if you can call it a car or a motorcycle, but this new three-wheeler from Ford is the coolest vehicle I've seen recently. Pick one of the six fun colors, shell $30k and it's yours! Dealers at http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com

Last edited by Rod-Tarry; 20-05-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 20-05-2011, 03:22 PM
dojj

that's not quite what i had in mind rod

and you've played the non ford card when i was only asking about 3 wheeler types you could use a motorbike engine for to drive one rear wheel

i'm sure you could bolt a ford badge to the front and everyone would be fooled
Old 20-05-2011, 05:36 PM
STeve

Originally Posted by dojj
no one could ever question your fordness mate but with ford fair being the one show that virtually everyone pulls out all the stops to make and get their cars ready for, i don't think declining numbers will affect it as much as some of the other shows

i think what is a more important factor is the size of the show and the layout meaning that it would almost certainly be better for the punters as a weekend event even though it wouldn't make as much money

and then you'd have 2 days worth of lotus twats buzzing around you like the wasps do in that period of the summer
well said and a good point made ,this is a show Im looking forward too as I really enjoyed last years for the first time in a long while
Old 30-05-2011, 03:02 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dan, sorry if iv missed it, but what is the score with people who have allready bought tickets and dont own a Ford?

My mate sent me a pic showing the bill for 4 sessions booked earlier this week, which they plan on doing in an Evo.
Old 16-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

so you let porkie out and sean in the lotus's ect between 4 of us we wanted a few sessions in a couple of none ford race cars but told no as its ford only fuckin joke
Old 16-07-2011, 06:12 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

It's not a joke IMO it's ford fair it should be ford time

I can't get a space as theyre all booked up with is annoying but shows that the fords still will fill the spaces

Lotus's Jay, he means silverstones lotus's not anyone elses
Old 16-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by J1mbo
It's not a joke IMO it's ford fair it should be ford time

I can't get a space as theyre all booked up with is annoying but shows that the fords still will fill the spaces

Lotus's Jay, he means silverstones lotus's not anyone elses
jim take your clever head off and read it again !! what o ou think lee and sean is runing on fordfair track time a cossie or any rs for that matter ? dont get me wrong Lee put n a good show at combe and hes a great lad this is the double standards or no arsehole of the organisers
Old 16-07-2011, 06:27 PM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkie
oh poo

what happens if like me you have already booked and paid for 8 sessions?
you could have them in my car if you wanted? wouldn't be much on your collection of cars but it's an experience to drive them on the new time attack control tyre

you should buy the 3 door back!!

Last edited by RONNIE AMIS; 16-07-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 16-07-2011, 06:58 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by Jay Cos
jim take your clever head off and read it again !! what o ou think lee and sean is runing on fordfair track time a cossie or any rs for that matter ? dont get me wrong Lee put n a good show at combe and hes a great lad this is the double standards or no arsehole of the organisers
I have read it, and don't see anywhere dan saying that porkie or Sean will be allowed to use their non ford cars at ford fair mate?

All I see is porkie has 8 sessions, and no ford car

Dan has said ford only

??
Old 16-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Shifty Disco
Regular Contributor

Hopefully someone will give the Lotus' grief
Old 17-07-2011, 03:37 PM
siddleg
Regular Contributor

mate no one will be able to afford the petrol in ten years ha ha be all electric shit.

you running the puma?
Old 17-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Chip

so you let porkie out and sean in the lotus's ect between 4 of us we wanted a few sessions in a couple of none ford race cars but told no as its ford only fuckin joke
The lotus's he was on about are the silverstone ones not porkie and sean
Old 17-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

The lotus's he was on about are the silverstone ones not porkie and sean

yes i know they say they battled to keep the lotus's off ! my point is i bet there be more let through than that ! thats why the comment but we will see
Old 17-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Chip

Going to be proper pissed off if they do let non fords on and we havent booked as me and the mrs would have both loved to have taken her clio round for a few laps!
Old 17-07-2011, 05:43 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dan has already stated that although he wants it to be Ford only, he doesnt think he can stop anybody who has already bought a track session or 8 to use them in any car they desire (although he advises to call ticket hotline to double check).

IMO any Ford owners who are now complaining that they cant take their own car on track because there are no tickets left but there is a Clio, a Westfield, an Elise or even a Ferrari on track, its your own fault, tickets are as they should be, first come first serve!

If my own Corsa was working I would of enjoyed going on track with the Fords again, but since it aint its neither here nor there.

Last edited by TimC; 17-07-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 17-07-2011, 06:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

My post was nothing to do with Porkie, or Sean, so it's not a "fuckin' joke". I was refering to the Silverstone cars.

As has already been stated several times - some people did manage to book on with a non-Ford (despite it clearly stating NON-FORDS) and those sessions will be honoured. But when we realised it was happening, we put a stop to it.

I genuinely can't understand how some people think that it's unfair to not let non-Fords on the track. The hint is in the name.

Exactly the same circuit, for exactly the same price can be circumnavigated at Trax on the 4th September, and you can drive around in whatever car you want (just no 3-wheelers )

Please, no more boo-hooing.
Old 17-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

My post was nothing to do with Porkie, or Sean, so it's not a "fuckin' joke". I was refering to the Silverstone cars.

As has already been stated several times - some people did manage to book on with a non-Ford (despite it clearly stating NON-FORDS) and those sessions will be honoured. But when we realised it was happening, we put a stop to it.

I genuinely can't understand how some people think that it's unfair to not let non-Fords on the track. The hint is in the name.

Exactly the same circuit, for exactly the same price can be circumnavigated at Trax on the 4th September, and you can drive around in whatever car you want (just no 3-wheelers )

Please, no more boo-hooing.
thats changed from the 3 calls to fast ford to book time out WHEN it was first anounced nice back peddle

Last edited by Jay,; 17-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 17-07-2011, 07:47 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

thats changed from the 3 calls to fast ford to book time out WHEN it was first anounced nice back peddle
What?

The online form has ALWAYS stated No Fords.

You may have spoken to a numpty who didn't know what the score was. But there is no back peddling.

One more time - It's called FORD Fair.
Old 18-07-2011, 05:56 PM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the best excuse ever to get the 3dr back on the road Chip

Quick Reply: Ford Fair - Ford only track time?