General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Did ETB(tyres/exhausts) stitch me up?

Search this Thread

Old 25-04-2011, 02:40 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Did ETB(tyres/exhausts) stitch me up?

Basically had a problem with a front tyre losing 10psi per day, so i took it in to ETB and with a few mins they rolled the tyre to the viewing area and showed me a nice 1inch slice on the inside of the tyre wall(bit you cant see unless wheel is off), so i was kinda relieved that i can fix the issue by just whacking another tyre on.

So off i go, check the pressures a couple of times in the first week and it hasnt lost anything, job jobbed

So i didnt go out yesterday in the car, went to the car this morning and said brand new tyre is flat as a pancake, 0 reading on my pressure gauge

So my question is did they just go round the corner with a knife just for a quick sale or was it a big coincidence that i had a sliced tyre wall AND i leaky alloy?

Thing is he said he cant see any reason that the alloy would leak air, looks fine he said(before fitting the tyre)

Last edited by BM08; 25-04-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 25-04-2011, 02:49 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

probaby just needs some bead seal unless you have been unlucky and gone over a nail or something?or maybe a little shite has let ya tyre down?
Old 25-04-2011, 02:54 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Could be mate, there are a few kids around but i didnt think they were THAT type of kid, but you never know i guess. Just strange its the same tyre that ive always had problems with, and its a new tyre.........

When they fitted the tyre should they not have put all the relevant pastes on it before fitting? or was this bead seal an extra thing?
Old 25-04-2011, 02:58 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

hit and miss really fella i would not usually put it on unless the tyre was going down and i could not see anything wrong take it back to them if it goes down again fella i am sure they will do it free of charge
Old 25-04-2011, 03:02 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

can really say about being stitched up but i had the same problem with 2 tyres on my mondeo. As Doug said above, took tyre off and used bead seal and been good as gold since
Old 25-04-2011, 03:29 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even brand new tyres on brand new rims with bead seal can leak, most leak very slowly.
Slow leaks can be cured for Ł1 for all 4 tyres, so 25 pence each, with bath sealant!!
Take each wheel off in turn, deflate completely, gently prise away the tyre from the rims outer edge, squeeze in bath sealant, let tyre go so it sits back on the rim, pump up and go.
Bit of a pfaff around but works.
Personally I think you were stitched up, a sidewall being under pressure is not going to be able to leak slowly like this, it will just go bang big time, esp with 1 1/2 ton of car on it.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 25-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 25-04-2011, 04:14 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by tabetha
Even brand new tyres on brand new rims with bead seal can leak, most leak very slowly.
Slow leaks can be cured for Ł1 for all 4 tyres, so 25 pence each, with bath sealant!!
Take each wheel off in turn, deflate completely, gently prise away the tyre from the rims outer edge, squeeze in bath sealant, let tyre go so it sits back on the rim, pump up and go.
Personally I think you were stitched up, a sidewall being under pressure is not going to be able to leak slowly like this, it will just go bang big time, esp with 1 1/2 ton of car on it.
tabetha
Cheers guys.

Yeah seems strange it was leaking before AND after the tyre was changed, but then again it lasted 3 whole weeks without losing a drop, then suddenly it was flat as anything.
Old 25-04-2011, 05:10 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabetha
tabetha
you are taking the piss arnt you? Please tell me you are.
Old 25-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the wheel is in decent condition and is clean it shouldnt require any sealant.
I'd certainly be checking/changing the valve as precaution.
Old 25-04-2011, 07:09 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Rs1
If the wheel is in decent condition and is clean it shouldnt require any sealant.
I'd certainly be checking/changing the valve as precaution.
The valve? the tyre was brand new 3 weeks ago
Old 25-04-2011, 07:13 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by BM08
The valve? the tyre was brand new 3 weeks ago

they may not of tightened they centre part of the valve properly
Old 25-04-2011, 07:22 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
Wonder if Mike and Edd would do this on Wheeler Dealers
Old 25-04-2011, 07:46 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by mrjenrst

no he is a dope propper

never in 15 years of fitting have i have a new wheel and tyre go down
and never needed to use bathroom selent ether
just good old fashion bead sealer on shitty wheels

but fuck it after reading his post ill charge all my customers for a tube of bathroom gunk with all new tyres cus some cunt on the net says so
Old 25-04-2011, 08:10 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by bigal1978
no he is a dope propper

never in 15 years of fitting have i have a new wheel and tyre go down
and never needed to use bathroom selent ether
just good old fashion bead sealer on shitty wheels

but fuck it after reading his post ill charge all my customers for a tube of bathroom gunk with all new tyres cus some cunt on the net says so
Calm down he was only trying help ME, not telling you (the fitter) how to do your job
Old 25-04-2011, 08:20 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by BM08
Calm down he was only trying help ME, not telling you (the fitter) how to do your job
telling you to stick bathroom sealer in the rims of tyres is helping you i give up
Old 25-04-2011, 08:26 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Jesus fucking christ. Is this seriously ANOTHER FUCKING THREAD about your flat tyres?
Old 26-04-2011, 09:10 AM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
Jesus fucking christ. Is this seriously ANOTHER FUCKING THREAD about your flat tyres?

It really surprises me shit people put up on the net. Not just on here but generally. Its like they have no life outside of the interwebnet and all the answers are out there in cyber space as its the future you no longer have to speak to real people!

For fucks sake, your tyres going down - its brand new - go see the guy that fitted it.
Old 26-04-2011, 12:56 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
It's better than being about a phone though...
Old 26-04-2011, 04:53 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by mondymatt

It really surprises me shit people put up on the net. Not just on here but generally. Its like they have no life outside of the interwebnet and all the answers are out there in cyber space as its the future you no longer have to speak to real people!

For fucks sake, your tyres going down - its brand new - go see the guy that fitted it.
Id rather ask on here where people wont give out the wrong advice just to get your money in their pockets/tills.

Not everyone has mechanical knowledge or knows people that do, just so your aware of that.

And the bit about no life outside of the web more like the opposite, i dont have time to take my car anywhere, i start work before their open and finish work when their closing.

Last edited by BM08; 26-04-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 26-04-2011, 08:37 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just like the majority of the population, welcome to the real world! You could put your spare on and drop the duff one with them in your lunch break and collect it the next day.

If you don't trust the tyre place you use ask around your local friends who they use, there should be the same 1 or 2 crop up. Round here theres only 1 place you'll really hear and even people who know jack about cars go there. They're flat out busy and you can wait over and hour at least for just a tyre, they're busy for a reason they don't rip people off.