General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT and decat exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 03:16 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 395 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by nick46
I used a 200 cell sports cat on my Mk2 ST when i had it. Bought it second hand off ebay. I have no idea how old it was, but it worked a treat and passed the MOT every year I owned the car. I was going to go for a 100 cell cat but was advised that when new they are ok but after a while they may not hold the emissions in spec and therefore fail an MOT test.
I have just had my daily Renault Laguna MOTd and I was suprised at how strict VOSA are getting now with MOT stations. The tester told me of undercover cars parking up and watching when a car comes in for an MOT. Then timing how long it takes for the MOT to be carried out and if they think its been done to quickly they will stop the car and come into the Station to re-check it to see if anything has been missed!! If a customer disputes his/her car failing the test the tester has to go to a VOSA workshop where it will be checked and a decision made if they agree or disagree with the faults it was failed on.This has happened to the guy who did my MOT and he said it was pretty stressful but in his case they agreed it was a valid failure.
The following users liked this post:
t230 (03-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 04:52 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

How does that relate to what I said about using a 200 cell cat?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

with all the cuts that's happening across all sectors I don't imaging theres to many vosa employees going around sitting waiting to pounce. id assume theyed have a backlog of complaints or supplied info to work on rather than just randomly pouncing.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
with all the cuts that's happening across all sectors I don't imaging theres to many vosa employees going around sitting waiting to pounce. id assume theyed have a backlog of complaints or supplied info to work on rather than just randomly pouncing.
This is true, we have one bloke for the entire county, mot stations are done by a traffic light system now, if your green (no problems or complaints) you will never ever hear from them apart from a possible yearly visit pre arranged, if you've had trouble then their the garages they are watching from time to time.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:25 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
This is true, we have one bloke for the entire county, mot stations are done by a traffic light system now, if your green (no problems or complaints) you will never ever hear from them apart from a possible yearly visit pre arranged, if you've had trouble then their the garages they are watching from time to time.
I am only passing on what the MOT tester told me , he didnt say how many times its happened. Maybe if the MOT station he worked at had had some complaints they watched it with more interest?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Fuck....over here even despite government run stations, pretty much every fucking day at various locations around the country there are huge DVA operations stopping and checking vehicles.
And that's day..night, every day. It's absolutely mental the amount of money they're squandering with such nonsense when it could be put into real road safety matters.

They are mostly hitting commercial operators whether that's big vehicles or taxis etc, but they've been nailing plenty of private vehicles too often for ridiculous petty things like number plates.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by nick46
How does that relate to what I said about using a 200 cell cat?
Part of your post was about MOT failures. Sorry if you thought I went off what you posted.