General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Adding a % for using paypal ...rules

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005 | 08:39 AM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

Default Adding a % for using paypal ...rules

Did i once read something on here about a new ruling on ebay where the sell cant ask you to add a % to your total bill to cover the paypal costs?

Im asking because i am bidding on something at the moment but they want to add 5% to the total at the end , can i tell em to fook off at the end of the auction and refuse to pay it ?

cheers
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:42 AM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

New rules state sellers cannot pass on pay pal costs to the buyer.

But to win the auction and then refuse to pay the extra the seller has asked for in the description can put you in the wrong as well I think.
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:46 AM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

send them a message before the end of the auction and tell them,they may well not know.
that way their is no confussion at the end.
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:46 AM
caprixpack
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

yeah when i sell ive never added a charge for paying by pay pal so tell the cheap git to loose it
Old 07-02-2005 | 11:08 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

tell the seller; if he tells you to fook off report it to ebay and they will close the auction
Old 07-02-2005 | 11:09 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

win the auction and then tell the seller they are breaking the rules - done this many times and i never get charged.
Old 07-02-2005 | 11:39 AM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

i charge a 5% handling fee on all purchases that are paid with by any other means than cheque so not just for paypal they can fuck off ive paid them so much that ive had enough! if ya dont wanna pay it send a cheque!!

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2005 | 11:42 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

new rules?

its a contract... if they want to charge 5% extra they can!

You agree to the contract by bidding, if you don't agree DONT BID!

Its very simple!

alex
Old 07-02-2005 | 11:42 AM
Phil
Jeebus

If the buyer wants to use PayPal then it is for their convenience not the seller and they should foot the 5% charge! I try and balance transfer/meet up rather than use PayPal!
Old 07-02-2005 | 12:03 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

tesco etc etc do the same.

its on the tills... you pay 2.5% more for credit card handling.... so even if its a fiver and ive got it in my pocket ill pay by CC so dont have mess around going cash points etc

ebay are just trying to bump up their profits by putting it in the rules as people will choose other methods if its clearly pointed out that they will be charged more for using it.
Old 07-02-2005 | 12:41 PM
MrsFrog
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by M Brian
tesco etc etc do the same.

its on the tills... you pay 2.5% more for credit card handling.... so even if its a fiver and ive got it in my pocket ill pay by CC so dont have mess around going cash points etc
I believe they don't charge you an additional 2.5%, but tell you if you pay by card that 2.5% will be deducted as charges... or something like that.

From Paypal website...
No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment on eBay.co.uk. This is in accordance with eBay U.K.'s surcharging policy which states: "Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay may not impose a surcharge.
PayPal is an electronic money payment system. When you accept a PayPal payment, you are accepting e-money. You are not accepting a debit or credit card payment, even where the sender may have funded his or her PayPal account with a debit or credit card in order to fund the transaction with you. Nothing in this policy is intended to affect the legal right of a merchant in the U.K. to impose a surcharge for a debit or credit card transaction under the Credit Cards (Price Discrimination) Order 1990.
Old 07-02-2005 | 12:47 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

well everyone does... including me!

and untill ebay tell me not to thats just plain tough! I am not paying for the sellers convience!!!!!

alex
Old 07-02-2005 | 12:52 PM
MrsFrog
PassionFord Post Troll

Hummmm... well they do!!!
eBay has adopted the following surcharging policy in the interests of ensuring that all buyers receive clear and accurate pricing information when trading on eBay.co.uk. This surcharge policy applies only to items listed on eBay.co.uk.

eBay prohibits surcharging by sellers except where described below. Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers.

Specific examples are explained below for your guidance:

1. Electronic Money Services: Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge.

Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.

Credit and Debit Card Payments: Surcharging is permitted where sellers accept credit or debit cards as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay. Such sellers will have merchant accounts with a bank or credit card company.

These sellers may not pass on to the buyer a charge greater than the amount of the commission payable by the seller to the bank processing that credit or debit card payment. In other words, sellers may recoup the charges incurred as a direct consequence of accepting the credit or debit card, but no more.

2. Cheques and Money Order: Sellers may not charge buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of cheques and money orders.

3. eBay Fees: Sellers may not pass onto buyers any eBay selling fees including but not limited to listing fees, listing enhancement fees and final value fees.

Exceptions to the Surcharge Policy
Please note that under English law, sellers have a legal right to pass onto the buyer the charges incurred for a credit or debit card transaction. However, this right does not apply to electronic money services. Where a credit or debit card is used to purchase electronic money to fund a transaction made via an electronic money service such as the ones listed above, this is not a credit or debit card transaction, but an electronic money service transaction.
Old 07-02-2005 | 01:00 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

no thill they tell me...

Ie they send me a letter/email!

not just print it someone on their webite
Old 07-02-2005 | 01:04 PM
MrsFrog
PassionFord Post Troll

Sorry alex, was adding a bit more that I thought might be relevant while you were replying....

But if you read the last paragraph, and the way I understand it, it is the law NOT to surcharge when using electronic funds. Ebay / Paypal are merely stating what the law is... and anyway, none is supposed to ignore the law...
Old 07-02-2005 | 02:59 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

MrsFrog is right, Tescos dont charge an extra 2.5% for CC purchases, rather 2.5% of the total will be paid to the CC handling company, ie. Tesco foot the bill!

and as for paypal, its convenience for both parties imo and as a seller i am happy to foot the bill. some people are too tight.
Old 07-02-2005 | 03:23 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Its more convient for me from the buyer to pay cash!!!

As for it being the law.... PAH! Its also the law not to sell pirate games/music/films on ebay yet people do EVERY DAY and ebay does nothing!

Alex
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:12 PM
nickyboy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by R4N S S
win the auction and then tell the seller they are breaking the rules - done this many times and i never get charged.
Ditto

Unfortunately this is why some peoples postal charges are so high to get the extra and getting round the rules
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:16 PM
nickyboy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by J871yhk
Its more convient for me from the buyer to pay cash!!!

As for it being the law.... PAH! Its also the law not to sell pirate games/music/films on ebay yet people do EVERY DAY and ebay does nothing!

Alex
I dont think its the fact they dont do anything, i have seen copied games etc removed, but they have millions of items listed everyday so not all will be picked up on.
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:22 PM
Switch
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

well I do charge and if make sure it states it in the auction. if someone refuses then i will also report them as a non paying bidder. have done this before and had no rpobs.
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:24 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

its not eactly hard to stop someone listing blaintly fradulant stuff..

they control the site after all... they simply choose not to!

alex
Old 07-02-2005 | 09:26 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by J871yhk
no thill they tell me...

Ie they send me a letter/email!

not just print it someone on their webite
as a registered Ebay member they did tell you email around 7/05/2004 ... as follows.:
---------------
Amendment to eBay.co.uk Surcharge Listing Policy - 6th June, 2004

On Sunday, 6th June, 2004, eBay.co.uk will be amending its current Surcharge Listing Policy. eBay will adopt the following surcharging policy in the interests of ensuring that all buyers receive clear and accurate pricing information when trading on eBay.co.uk. This surcharge policy applies only to items listed on eBay.co.uk.

eBay will prohibit surcharging by sellers except where described below. Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers.

Specific examples are explained below for your guidance:

1. Electronic Money Services
Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge. Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.

------------------------------