General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sierra 1.6 pinto starting help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Ste03
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra 1.6 pinto starting help

Hi, iv had a sierra in the garage for 10 years and it's never been started... Now iv finished uni I'm going to start work on it as a rolling project but just need some tips on getting it started...

Iv not tried cranking it yet but just got a brand new battery for it so just need a few tips, I know I'll have to drain the fuel tank of rhe old fuel...

should I put oil in it to soak down or put a bit of oil in the piston holes to soak ?? I don't know if it's seized but don't want to try it and cause more damage.

Cheers

Steve
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Pintos are a proper tough old lump,I'd be amazed if there's any major damage to it.personally,I would:
1.whip out the plugs,a little squirt of oil down each bore and turn it by hand off the crank pulley.
2.assuming it's free,shove the OLD plugs back,assuming their not completely fubared.
3.drain tank if you like,but usually some good octane boost will cure it unless it's gone to jelly but personally id disconnect the fuel line into the carb/fuel pump and fill a petrol can/jar etc with petrol and connect the fuel line into that so there's fresh fuel only going in.Once you know it's running,you could disconnect the tube and drain the tank/lines etc.
4.good battery,try cranking it,it should try to fire,if it starts,I'd then do a quick service on it,new plugs,dizzy cap,rotor arm,leads and so on.
Get some cleaner into all the electrical connections you can see on the engine,particularly the battery terminals etc and all should be ok.

I wouldn't put fresh plugs in after you've squished oil down the bores cos I did this in my Corsa and it missed occasionally even though they were brand new.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Ste03
Virgin

Thanks mate, Just got it running.... Sweet as a nut, tried manual crank and it turned so hooked up the new battery poured in a bit of petrol into the carb and turned it over .... Started first time so put a gallon of unleaded in and runs perfect.

I think all the breaks are seized on as the engine just labors if you let the clutch off ... Any ideas for freeing the breaks / wheel bearings cheers Steve
Old 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

To do your brakes jack each corner and work by hand at same time flush out the old fluid ,if you have rear drums prob best to get them off and look for leaks and make sure all things work well as hand brakes can seize.