General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sierra Granada Transit Automatic Box A4ld

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Marvin_hagler_
Marvelous Marv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra Granada Transit Automatic Box A4ld

anyone know the ins and the outs with these auto box's ?

if you took the tourque convertor off the box when removing the 2.0 dohc engine and then when refitting the engine and convertor struggled can you bollox the convertor.
the auto box was perfect and tried and tested and done very low miles with history and all old mots prior to the engine comming out of the car and then when refitted the box works perfect but screeches every now and then when previously it was silent.
also the fluid that came out was red and not brown and i understand your not supposed to remove the convertor off the box
Old 10-04-2011, 02:12 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

yes you can, you have to line the oil pump up perfecty by fitting the converter to the input shaft, if you miss it you will not know and potentially could just pull the bolts into the flywheel plate and have missed the oil pump, hence the noise.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfectly fine to take converter off box, not the best box in the world, basically a revamped C3 with O/D added, the converter won't go in wrong unless a lot of hitting!!, it will actually go in too far and slide back out around 1/2"-3/4" to mate with the flex plate.
Btw you can get a adjustable can for these boxes to pep them up a bit, as I ran one on mine, also ran selectable converter lock out and O/D lockout, and adjustable shift pointer.
tabetha
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Marvin_hagler_
Marvelous Marv

forgive me as i'm a boxing champ not a autobox champ, is it possible that with a amount of adjustment the screeching would possibly stop,or has what you both have said could of happened mean its banjaxed ?

thanks for the help though.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A brake band could be buggered, not a pricey fix, your best bet is to go to someone who fixes auto boxes and get them to drive the car, a proper transmission place, he'll know right away what it is, but the fluid colour is good it should be cherry red, as the boxes age the brake bands start to break up and discolour the fluid in the process turning it brown.
The brake bands stop the relevant clutch drums from rotating when they shouldn't, if one is slipping it could screech.
If no joy just beat the trans guy up ha ha!!
tabetha
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Marvin_hagler_
Marvelous Marv

dude the car has done 41k miles 100% genuine and drove like brand new and the convertor came out with the engine unrelated to the transmission just when it went in again it was a major struggle as lining it up was impossible and then with a hole drilled in the bellhousing or somewhere close i think it was then able to pop back on with a tap and then the ancillaries were fitted back again and the car runs perfect just with the screech. theres no way the bands or anything else were suspect before as it was tested and found to be like new and now sounds shit

unless putting the convertor back in wrong even though the box performs perfect can make it screech will trying to put it in again correctly stop it screeching ?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvin Hagler
dude the car has done 41k miles 100% genuine and drove like brand new and the convertor came out with the engine unrelated to the transmission just when it went in again it was a major struggle as lining it up was impossible and then with a hole drilled in the bellhousing or somewhere close i think it was then able to pop back on with a tap and then the ancillaries were fitted back again and the car runs perfect just with the screech. theres no way the bands or anything else were suspect before as it was tested and found to be like new and now sounds shit

unless putting the convertor back in wrong even though the box performs perfect can make it screech will trying to put it in again correctly stop it screeching ?

ive changed loads of C3/C4 autos in my time, and if they fluid flywheel is not in the correct place then you can for the oil pump to break, i know ive done it !

sounds like the box was mint before so its defo a rebuild induced fault.

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Marvin_hagler_
Marvelous Marv

thanks dudes its all making sense,i don't suppose its possible then if the transmission oil pump is bust that you can buy one is there ?