General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

st170

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
delterflier
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st170

hi all

i have a 03 plate 1.8 mp3 focus,shes high miledge and feels tyerd so was thinking of moving on to something else.
was wanting a o3 plate rs focus but where i do lost of miles i think i would ruin it.
cant aford a new shape focus st but ive found a 54 plate st170 for sale nere me.

just wandered what the performance was like with them?

are thay turbod? if not can thay be?

its had 3 owners and 40,000 odd miles on the clock.

whats everyones views?

john
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They're juicy for the performance you get, cracking handling though. Just look at it as a nicely specced focus really. Need to work it a bit to keep it on the boil which can get a bit tiring.

All in all generally nice cars but not stupidly quick. Good value too if you can get it at the right money and its been looked after. Look about on the net for the common faults before viewing. These include the imrc issue where the eml comes on.
We're happy with ours on the whole and we've had it nearly 3 years. You'll find as its not got an RS badge there'll be a few haters out there that slate them but if you go with an open mind and no pre conceived ideas about it being some sort of rocket ship you should be happy with it.

You used to be able to buy a supercharger kit for them but iirc nobody does them new now. Tuning them is a minefield too from what i've seen, some get good results but others spend ££££'s to just achieve the 170 claimed by ford.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't bother mate.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I know someone who thinks there is 0-60 in 4 seconds now and will go round a roundabout at 60mph as it has a chip... Other than that, its all i know about them.

I would not get one for the fact is they drink more than the power they give out.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
delterflier

not very insipring lol

went for a test drive earlyer,massive difrence from my focus,loads quicker.
1 years mot 5 month tax,lowered on gmax(standered springs in boot) i think but not crazy low,k&n pannel filter ford built in bassbox,full leather recaro intereor,heated seats but no heated windscreen or heated mirrors.

liked it and filled out the finance forms there and then will find out on monday if i get her.

before i do there will be several repairs to get done

ecu light is on due to lambada sensor,air bag light also
new breaks allround as the sterring wheel is all over the show under heavy braking
wheels cud do with a referb
slight knock from the sterring

everything apart from the referb on the wheels will be done before a fresh mot

cherrs john
Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

How much? Colour? Mileage? Age?

....I predict you're going to shit your pants at how much it costs to run a 160bhp Ford Focus once you've had it a wee while.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 PM
delterflier

dark metalic blue,54 plate with 40,000 odds on the clock,3dr

3 owners from new

£4600

kind of high but you expect that from a garage

well i do alot of miles each week and spend a lot in fuel anyways so im not to worried tbh

john

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

R u definitely sure its accident free?
3 owners and its only done 40000 miles.......id b a bit wary mate.
I woulnt touch it without a full main dealer service history with all bills and receipts to boot.
These can be driven very hard by knobheads thinking their Michael schumacher!!
Just be sure you not buying a lemon using finance......
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 AM
delterflier

Originally Posted by Magnum PI
R u definitely sure its accident free?
3 owners and its only done 40000 miles.......id b a bit wary mate.
I woulnt touch it without a full main dealer service history with all bills and receipts to boot.
These can be driven very hard by knobheads thinking their Michael schumacher!!
Just be sure you not buying a lemon using finance......
is there any online sites that i can check if its been in a accident?

will check if its got history if i get a call back on monday

john
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My old ST170 was the most dissapointing car I've ever owned. Slow in a straight line, drank fuel (my modified ST gets the same mpg). Kept it a year before I sold it on. Handled well though.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by delterflier
is there any online sites that i can check if its been in a accident?

will check if its got history if i get a call back on monday

john
Id pay for an independent hi check for accidents etc.

You can also use the car tax pages if the directgov website to check the mileage and previous mot's

Remember these two phrases

if in doubt - do Nowt

buy in haste - regret at leisure.

All Im saying is that yes the st170 is a good car. But as there's plenty out there there is lots to choose from and you will find the right example.

The car you're looking at needs new brakes all round.......what does that tell you......
Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 PM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichieST
My old ST170 was the most dissapointing car I've ever owned. Slow in a straight line, drank fuel (my modified ST gets the same mpg). Kept it a year before I sold it on. Handled well though.
THIS.

Had mine a year now and like you moved up from a 1.8. Dont get me wrong there is a huge difference in power but i got bored very quickly. Cracking handling though.

Getting a few bits and bobs sorted and then will sell it and buy an st3 or civic type r.(have you considered one of these?)

Mine is a 3 dr 52 plate moondust silver, 80k fsh, full heated leather, heated windscreen, climate control, xenons, headlight washers, sub in the boot, 6disk cd changer, top spec basically. Will be looking for just under 3k.

So i think if everything is ok with the one your looking at, could be a good deal.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 PM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from a remapped ST200 to a ST170 and I dont regret it. Obviously its no where near as quick but its got enough power to have some fun and the handle is spot on. I must admit it is juicy but if you stay below 3000rpm so basically dont go over 70mph its not too bad on fuel. For what they are they are a good car,Ive got a k&n induction kit and a back box on and it sounds quite nice,lowered it 30mm and the handling is even better. Id recomend one to anyone
Old 03-04-2011, 03:04 PM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyle_st200
I went from a remapped ST200 to a ST170 and I dont regret it. Obviously its no where near as quick but its got enough power to have some fun and the handle is spot on. I must admit it is juicy but if you stay below 3000rpm so basically dont go over 70mph its not too bad on fuel. For what they are they are a good car,Ive got a k&n induction kit and a back box on and it sounds quite nice,lowered it 30mm and the handling is even better. Id recomend one to anyone
I think with a better engine would be absolutely outstanding cars but i suppose thats where the RS comes in. Despite the 'lack of power' they are fantastic handling cars and if you get a high spec one you get a few good toys for your money. Again, very juicy for what they are, £250 road tax and are MORE than an RS to insure. So you can go faster for alot less.

Saying that i think they look fantastic too. Kind of like a sleeper.

If you have your heart set on getting one heres a few tips;

Drive a few. Alot come underpowered so if you drive a few you will get a feel for which ones are underpowered and which ones are closer to the claimed 170bhp.

Full service history. Due to the way the power is delivered its tempting to rag them all the time and alot, incuding mine, have been. Regular services should help keep them tip top.

Check if clutch has been done due to the DMF they can be costly to repair and 'ive heard' go relatively quickly.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:30 PM
matthewsimone
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by RichieST

Couldn't have put it better myself mate, I bought one last summer as a daily car, only kept it for about 4 months, so dissapointing in my oppinion, just so slow and booring compared to everything else in that class ie clio 172/182, civic type R etc etc £4600 is civic type R money and ive also owned one of them a few years ago and was one of the best cars ive ever bought

St170 = load of shite id bet a standard S2 turbo would be all over one like a rash lol

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but they fookin drink fuel and wouldn't pull you out of bed go down the type R route for sure
Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM
mcst

ecu light is on due to lambada sensor,air bag light also
new breaks allround as the sterring wheel is all over the show under heavy braking
wheels cud do with a referb
slight knock from the sterring
I'd have a good bet on the eml being for the IMRC and not the lambda sensor, i had 3 in a row done at a ford dealer and never solved it. The IMRC sticks in its open state or closed state and will bring on the light.
The knock from the steering and the wheel being all over could be related and be the bottom arms.
Ours pulls a little on a heavily cambered road but otherwise brakes fine and is a 54plate at about 48k now so if yours needs new brakes allround it could have had a hard life or they may just be warped

Wheels are shite like most ford wheels and suffer with the soft lacquer.

I told you there were some haters didn't i as i said before they're juicy if driven hard but my mrs can make it run on fresh air, i bought it for her and she's happy with it. My only complaints are the little niggles like the eml light, creaky drivers seat, rattling heatshields etc.etc

Plus, that sounds like a lot for the age even from a dealer look about a bit first, i'd want a lot off that even if they are doing the work and a sensible warranty from them and make sure you get your own extended warranty.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I own one mate bought it in December last year. 54 plate with 45k on it mine is also blue. Full service history 3 owners and I paid 3300 for it very tidy. They can be greedy on fuel but all depends on how you drive them. Not lightning fast either but fine for what they are. I'm more than pleased with mine.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
delterflier

aye ya did lol

got a phone call today,i got the finance lol wasnt expecting to so got alot to sort what with handing back the other car.

anyone close to dundee up for giving me a quick shot in there st170?

the one at the garage feels quick to me but i am coming from a 1.8.

i aprsiate everyones apinon ,but im quite setled on the car,im used to the model and know it quite well,better the devil you know than the devil dont.

the type r is a great car but its not a ford and isint imo a ideal family car.

so anyone know the car lc54 brz ?

john
Old 03-04-2011, 05:40 PM
mcst

the type r is a great car but its not a ford and isint imo a ideal family car.
Exactly the reason i wanted one, the mrs didn't want anything as big as a mondeo as her 1st car(st220 being top of my list at the time) and we needed 5 doors so ruled out a type r straight away. Got dicked about on a cupra and couldn't find another with low enough miles and the right colour, she found the focus and was happy with it so she got it.
Going from our 2.0 Mk2 mondeo to it it was quick but if i've driven it for a week it soon feels slow by the end of the week. I take it for a blat now and again but after my Jimny most things would feel quick, even the work astravan!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

so anyone know the car lc54 brz ?
John, I've just text my mate... that sounds a LOT like his old registration, if it is, then please steer the fuck clear of this car!! It's had more hits than the beatles, the drivers seat airbag has deployed and been sown back together, etc.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyfocus
THIS.

Had mine a year now and like you moved up from a 1.8. Dont get me wrong there is a huge difference in power but i got bored very quickly.

I moved from a 1.8 to a 2.0 and thought it was a big power difference. I know its not alot but it still seems quite alot to every other standard car out there...

For £4600 i would look about TBH.

But its up to you, if you have your heart set on it then if it was me i would get it and not care what anyone elsa said.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 PM
delterflier

Originally Posted by RS Grant
John, I've just text my mate... that sounds a LOT like his old registration, if it is, then please steer the fuck clear of this car!! It's had more hits than the beatles, the drivers seat airbag has deployed and been sown back together, etc.

Cheers,
Grant
would be glad of any info you have mate,if its been knocked about but repaird to a good standered then maby it would be ok,maby i could hagle the price a bit.

the car dosnt have the standered st seats it has full leather recaros in black.

does that ring any bells or is it poss that the interior has been changed due to the airbag problem

cherrs john
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

John, this IS my mates old car. PLEASE steer clear of this and buy something else.

- It's had paint on almost every panel.
- It's been in more than one scrape/small accident.
- The drivers seat airbag deployed, it was re-tucked into the seat, but was a gaping hole in seat still when my mate got rid of the car.
- It did NOT live an easy life with my mate, driven hard from cold start, etc.
- The springs fitted are Apex and have always given a shit rancid ride.
- Suspension knocking is down to the fact the car was driven over a roundabout at speed, causing numerous bent and broken suspension components.. some of which weren't replaced and just knocked 'straight' to get by.
- Ask to see ALL the previous MOTs and History to back up the mileage, the guy shouldn't be able to provide this, because my friend never had full history for the car and is convinced he got fleeced and the car actually has far higher mileage than the clocks show.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM
delterflier

holy shit,will ring the garage tomorow,
had my heart set on it to.

will try get a pic asap just to conferm things

anymore info?

cherrs john
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
matthewsimone

I only paid £2800 for my 2003 one last year, full ford history, 3 door, silver, 68k, new falken tyres, 2 owners, spotless condition throughout etc

£4600 sounds a hell of a lot to me just my 2p worth mate sounds about 1k overpriced to me
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

You got some st170s with full black recaros as an option.
As stated above mate if this motor was indeed in a few scrapes and has a dodgy history then I would steer well clear. There are plenty for sale for a good grand less than there asking. Good luck mate hope you get it sorted
Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Magnum PI
Id pay for an independent hi check for accidents etc.

You can also use the car tax pages if the directgov website to check the mileage and previous mot's

Remember these two phrases

if in doubt - do Nowt

buy in haste - regret at leisure.

All Im saying is that yes the st170 is a good car. But as there's plenty out there there is lots to choose from and you will find the right example.

The car you're looking at needs new brakes all round.......what does that tell you......
I rest my case in light of the comments above!.

Lucky escape here then mate.

Be very very picky before jumping in with with both feet.

Look around the right st170 is out there for you.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 PM
mcst

Sounds like a lucky escape! If you're getting anything on finance you don't want to be forking out payments and a fortune in repairs to put it right.

Speak to the finance company who have agreed the finance at that amount, they may issue you a certificate allowing you to choose a car from any dealer. The dealer you choose may not be happy if he doesn't deal with that particular company but at the end of the day he's still selling the car. The finance co. just ask that the docs are signed on licensed trade premises. If you have to go to another dealer and re-apply for finance you may find the amount you can borrow will reduce.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 PM
delterflier

the car in question,thinking now it just looks like anyother 170 but here she is anyways

surly if the millage had been clocked the garage would know?
hes a sound guy that has never let me down and has got me credit on the focus i have now when i couldnt get finance anywhere else,had next to no probs with it in the 3 years i have owned her

when i took the car for a test drive i noticed the probs stated above,he said that all would be fixed and will get 12 month mot,so the main thing im worried about is the millage.
when ya get an mot then the millage gets entered on the dvla system does it not?
also dont focuses suffer with dodgy clocks? what if the clocks were bought from a crashed motor from the scrapys and the miledge was never adjusted.

im not in any hurry to get the car now im just trying to think on what the garage might say when i ask some questions

cherrs john
Old 03-04-2011, 09:28 PM
s18 adt

I brought my st170 back in february and im absolutley loving it, i got into it from a 1.25 fiesta so obv theres a massive power gain but it also feels lovely to drive, i really dont see why people slate them so much, its perfect for me, i didnt want to finance due to being self employed, i payed 2850 for mine with climate control and xenons, it has done a few miles with 91000 on the clock bt has loads of history and 2 owners, people say its thirsty but it makes no odds to me having a lift into work and back i only use the car at weekends and a few nights, o only put 20 quid a week in fuel, its also good on insurance imo, im 21 with 1 years no claims, i pay 1200 a year and have extra insurance so i have no excess, a type r or s3 was 3000! Personally i love mine dont let people put you off to much, but shop around
Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

There is always the chance that the garage might have just bought this car cheap for stock... IIRC, when Allan wanted rid of the car, he had a few people up to look at it (he wanted peanuts for it, £3k ish, 6-9 months ago), but nobody went for it because it was all keyed up both sides and looked a bit of a state. In the end, he swapped it with some bloke from Dundee with a diesel van... doubt it was this garage you deal with since that happened a wee while ago now.

I know you're excited at the thought of getting an ST170 and this one is local and seems to be a real easy way to make it happen... but take off the rose tinted glasses and look at the facts. This car will make you cry.

Here are the texts between us when I asked him if it was his car:

I actually KNOW this car and KNOW the life it's been treated to previously, I was actually offered this car for £2500 when Allan wanted rid of it and I told him to beat it... and that's the gods honest truth.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
delterflier

cherrs rsgrant,garage is not guna be happy lol

price wise garages are allways expensive for finance,the price we pay for paying monthly.

cherrs again

john
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
s18 adt

This guys is very lucky rs grant is such a bloke and done abit of research tbh
Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Mark B

Grants a good cunt, rep coming his way!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 PM
delterflier

spoke to the garage today,guy didnt seem to know anything about it.

no service history as said,checked drivers seat and has been restiched

its going for its mot tomorow so if the repairs are done then all them probs will be gone in thery

the garage is also offerd 1 years parts and labour warrenty for piece of mind

is it crazy to still be thinking about getting the car?

as for the milledge if it was wrong then its bound to come up when the cars been for the mot?

john
Old 06-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Sp3no

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your buying this car with your heart and not your head, walk away, plenty of ST170's out there and i dont know why but they are REALLY cheap now
I must have drove 5 or 6 before i settled on the one i have, the others did not feel as quick as this one and there are some slow ones out there, i almost settled for one without xenons too, so glad i waited for the right one.
Keep looking
The ST170 is not like a standard 2.0L or smaller engined Focus either, the parts that are unique to the 170 are really expensive.
The fact you have been told its been driven hard from cold would be enough for me

Last edited by Sp3no; 06-04-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:46 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

John, seriously mate, you need to get a grip... this car is a raft of shite and shouldn't even be on your radar any longer.

I've given you all the information... you've checked some of it out and can see I'm not making it up, so it's up to you what happens now. Used car warranties are 95% of the time worth absolute jack shit and if you try to make a claim then you'll be given the runaround and more than likely have to replace the part and send the faulty part to them for inspection before they will agree to pay out.

To put it very bluntly: If you don't listen to all the warnings I've given you and buy this car regardless, then you're an absolute bloody fool.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Sp3no

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What RS Grant is saying may be cold and blunt but its the truth, you should be thanking him
Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 PM
delterflier

your rite was thinking with my heart not ma head

cherrs everyone

john
Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Ozz120

Did you ever think about getting a 2.0L Zetec and doing it up your self, It has the same engine as the ST and you can pick what you want to have done to it. This will make it cheaper to insure as long as you dont tell them what you have done to it . I have been looking at doing this or getting a 1.25 fiesta and puting its st150 engine in it, has any done this yet that could tell me if it is worth the money. Being that I am 18 I can get a ST insured, can any one give me some help on what to do and would be best thanks!

Quick Reply: st170