General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

most lusted after carbon fibre piece :)

Search this Thread

Old 21-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Im not a lover of carbon fibre,sorry.
Old 21-03-2011, 07:47 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
Scuttle panel for the saph saw a couple on ebay but sold like hot cakes and there's no more looked very nice

Rouse front splitter too just can be doing with taking my one off and re-fitting another one its one of those 'if aint broke do try n fix it' sort of job

Luciano
thos scuttles arnt carbon ,ate, there carbon dipped and look horrible i think
Old 21-03-2011, 10:31 PM
roscom
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a set of carbon door cards for mine but not 100% sure they will suit the car or not.

Cheers Ross.
Old 21-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Ginge
www.virtualseason.net

Well seeing as i dont drive and ride a bicycle all the time it would have to be one of theese.

Delta seven hand woven 300 hours almost 1800 feet of carbon fibre...2.75 lb's or just over a kilo. Not cheap though!

Ginge
Old 22-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
and by using the external structure as the template you don't replicate any internal strengthening ribs, channels, extrusions, double skinning etc
true but id like to think if your going to copy the part youd look inside to see whats double skinned, stiffened etc.

i reckon you could go totally skitzo and replace the floors with a honeycomb carbon sandwich panel.
Old 22-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
I cheat with materials on mine as use 2x2 200gsm only on the visible layer, the rest being a heavier grade carbon although i found the heavier carbon i needed cut lines in some tight 3D corners to stop it bridging. What do you mean by intenserfying integral parts??? I had considered using some bracing to hold material into the deeper corners but the vacuum is supposed to do that, i just have to be careful to have enough material in each layer of the stack to fill the space then the vacuum will do the rest once i adjust the materials as you pull the vac.
Thats not really cheating as some will just put a 2x2 200 down in a bag cure it then strenghen it more in another bag . Use a smoothed paint brush handle to manipulate the bag into corners or if its that much of a arse then put material thickness sheet wax into the mold you are using then take a mold of that then you will have a clam shell effect so you lay your mold up either wet or ready to infuse then place the new mold you made into the old mold and that will put the material into all the places( intensefying) needed then bag it simples
Old 22-03-2011, 10:52 AM
ste 170

do you know what...this is just about the best thread ever lol. brilliant informative funny reading. thanks everyone!!

right ive got to choose some parts to try to get a small production run of 20. something simple but visually effective. i.e ill need to sell the other 19 lol.
at the minute im thinking of mk1 focus range as theres loads more of em about.
parts im looking at getting done are

foglight surround
front grille outer surround
back boot lift handle above the number plate
wing mirror covers
plastic grille that covers windscreen wipers

i was savin up for FRS mk1 but dont mind throwin a bit at it, so any help or advice or any of the above parts just lying around ive gotta post the stuff to france for them to have a look at. when they work out a unit price if it seems like a deal ill commision a run of stuff....
Old 22-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Jay_
or if its that much of a arse then put material thickness sheet wax into the mold you are using then take a mold of that then you will have a clam shell effect
ahhh so thats what you mean by it. yeah i was thinking an inner mould if needs be. would probably need 2-3mm thick wax to take into account the carbon, peel ply, film, infusion mesh and bag.

i just think its more practice in my case not being that experienced yet. Im still doing my stuff in the kitchen

Its the corners in this deep mould ive found hard to get perfectly pressed down to avoid bridging:

I do like resin infusion though. theres something wierdly therapeutic watching the resin get drawn through the mould, especially when you look closely and see it flowing.

Originally Posted by ste 170
ive gotta post the stuff to france for them to have a look at. when they work out a unit price if it seems like a deal ill commision a run of stuff....
why are you sending bits to france??? there are plenty of places in the UK who do carbon bits and i cant imagine it would be massively cheaper abroad.
Old 23-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

ahhh so thats what you mean by it. yeah i was thinking an inner mould if needs be. would probably need 2-3mm thick wax to take into account the carbon, peel ply, film, infusion mesh and bag.

i just think its more practice in my case not being that experienced yet. Im still doing my stuff in the kitchen

Its the corners in this deep mould ive found hard to get perfectly pressed down to avoid bridging:

I do like resin infusion though. theres something wierdly therapeutic watching the resin get drawn through the mould, especially when you look closely and see it flowing.

infusion is ok IF your bag seal is 100% ad is easier to form hard shapes make sure the carbon is loose in the mold and lightly taped to the flange , also Warren use a little more bagging even twice the size of the mold and make several attempts to get it down as bridging is mainly caused by the bag is to tight ! i know what you mean about watching infusion its pretty cool watching it flow
Old 23-03-2011, 01:16 PM
ste 170

reason why france is, a friend works for a famous military composites company. and hes going to do them out of hrs
Old 23-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Jay_
infusion is ok IF your bag seal is 100% ad is easier to form hard shapes make sure the carbon is loose in the mold and lightly taped to the flange , also Warren use a little more bagging even twice the size of the mold and make several attempts to get it down as bridging is mainly caused by the bag is to tight ! i know what you mean about watching infusion its pretty cool watching it flow
I test my bags on the gauge to see if they are leaking. Ive been told i should test it and look for no drop over 15minutes where as because im paranoid im not happy until it holds the vac over 4 hours with no measurable drop on the guage as then i know it will hold vac throughout the oven curing.

Im using envelope bagging at the moment so already use shit loads of bagging film. Made the mistake of not using enough film once before and its annoying as hell as it was only needing like an extra cm of film but had to rip it all off and start again!

Stuff is coming out ok at the moment.

not many defects at all at the moment, just a couple of pin holes i can fill, but id like it perfect really.

Im thinking maybe im using too heavy grade carbon for the middle layers on such a small, curvy part.

my laminate is:

1x 2x2 3k twill 200gsm carbon
2x 2x2 12k twill 290gsm carbon
1x plain weave 175gsm kevlar

maybe knock out 1 of the middle layers of carbon?? or replace the 2 layers with 1 layer of 3k 2x2 carbon??

as it stands my first attempt leaving out the kevlar is strong enough for a fat knacker like me to stand on it without it breaking.

reason why france is, a friend works for a famous military composites company. and hes going to do them out of hrs
ahhh ok, mates rates
Old 24-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Albino Deano
FROZEN WHITE FRS No2676

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant beat a good bit of Carbon

Old 24-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

that scuttle panel isnt carbon owned

Old 24-03-2011, 11:49 PM
ste 170

that scuttle panel isnt carbon owned

just looked at there website...bet it all costs a bomb. shame really there escos carbon heatshield with gold lining looks well trick!!!
Old 27-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Sniffle
Regular Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dying to get the magic weave on my st170.... for me id like carbon fog light surrounds, but alas cost a fortune . what would be your dream carbon fibre part be for your car?
Sorry for bumping a very old thread,

But did you or anyone else ever get the carbon front fog light surrounds?
only place a can find them is on SFS performance that mainly do silicone hose's
and they don't make it easy to order off their website, Took me a while to even find the price of them.
Old 27-02-2013, 04:00 PM
GINGExR2 T
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mk4 S2 boot lid, got to be a market for them, standard ones are getting like rocking horse shit.

Old 27-02-2013, 04:19 PM
frsjon
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

carbon fibre wheels

Last edited by frsjon; 27-02-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 27-02-2013, 04:57 PM
madsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

a mate of mine raced a honda rs 250 ex gp privateer bike.that had carbon fibre marvic wheels in it,they were awesome and weighed sod all as for carbon fibre parts,sorry its a motorbike,but heres my nsr 250 sp racer
Old 27-02-2013, 06:18 PM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In the Audi I have carbon inserts in all 4 doorpanels, carbon centreconsole surround, carbon insert on the dash, carbon ashtray, carbon gearstick surround and a carbon insert in the centre console and it does NOTHING for me. Proper carbon by the way, not fake.
Old 27-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I think Carbon has been over done recently. Ok, if it's got a purpose, but simplyfor the bling factor? - not my cup of tea!
Old 27-02-2013, 06:40 PM
vinge87
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by GINGExR2 T

Mk4 S2 boot lid, got to be a market for them, standard ones are getting like rocking horse shit.

+1 realy want this to be made...
Old 27-02-2013, 08:38 PM
oriurbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

+2 on the bonnet