General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

daft question

Search this Thread

Old 14-03-2011, 07:17 AM
skipz
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daft question

a real no-brainer, i think the answer is no, but i could easily be wrong.
My wife can only drive auto-boxes, due to a shoulder problem, and she has taken a liking to asbo orange Focus ST,s. Did Ford ever make them as autos or am i wasting my time searching?
Old 14-03-2011, 07:48 AM
macca194
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There all manuals by the looks of it http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...06.aspx?page=7
Normally says auto next to models if they are
Old 14-03-2011, 01:42 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

As said so far as I know all were manual, however they may have been a very small minority that some places converted afterwards to order as they did was the Cosworth, it's for good reason as no true sport cars are automatic, but I am sure there is a conversion that can be done.

I had the opposite, I like the XK Jaguar but they are all Auto so was looking at conversions.

Martin
Old 14-03-2011, 02:29 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

All were manuals.

Have you thought about the new focus zetec-s? They look very similar to the ST and should be available with an auto.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:09 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
As said so far as I know all were manual, however they may have been a very small minority that some places converted afterwards to order as they did was the Cosworth, it's for good reason as no true sport cars are automatic, but I am sure there is a conversion that can be done.

I had the opposite, I like the XK Jaguar but they are all Auto so was looking at conversions.

Martin
"no true sports cars were automatic"
Ferrari, aston martin, porsche, lamborghini, zonda etc etc some of these do fully automatic, as well as using paddle shift, Lotus in 1970 used a clutchless gearchange, ie automated gearbox.
1989 saw the Ferrari 640 with automated gearbox, when Nigel Mansel won the F1, F1 last manual box used was 1995, some 16 years ago.
See if there is a model that uses the same engine as the FRS with auto/semi auto option, can be done but expensive, pretty much all full auto boxes can be converted to paddle shift, as the diagnostic boxes for fault finding have this feature by pressing button for up/down shifting, even me little astra mk3 can be made paddle if wanted, but LOTS of money.
tabetha
Old 15-03-2011, 05:55 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
"no true sports cars were automatic"
Ferrari, aston martin, porsche, lamborghini, zonda etc etc some of these do fully automatic, as well as using paddle shift, Lotus in 1970 used a clutchless gearchange, ie automated gearbox.
1989 saw the Ferrari 640 with automated gearbox, when Nigel Mansel won the F1, F1 last manual box used was 1995, some 16 years ago.
See if there is a model that uses the same engine as the FRS with auto/semi auto option, can be done but expensive, pretty much all full auto boxes can be converted to paddle shift, as the diagnostic boxes for fault finding have this feature by pressing button for up/down shifting, even me little astra mk3 can be made paddle if wanted, but LOTS of money.
tabetha
Just my opinion, look at BMW M cars as they are manual or SMG, same with these cars, Cosworths etc.

Martin