General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

vibration/juddering under load an on right lock

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2011, 06:59 PM
chrisxr2it3
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibration/juddering under load an on right lock

iv had new wishbones an clutch fitted to my frst but now its got an annoying vibration/juddering under fall load on when turning right feels terrible when going round a roundabout ect iv borrowed good working driveshafts an cv joints from my mates car, checked everything is tight an secure,had tracking done an checked wheel balance,an its still doing it,befor this the previous clutch was slipping really bad so im wondering if its a gearbox issue thats come to light now?its only got a standard xr2i box init so any help or advice would be really appreiated as im stuck for things to try
chris
Old 26-02-2011, 07:05 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

hi, have you checked your engine/gearbox mounts, something has to be allowing movement

tommy
Old 26-02-2011, 07:09 PM
chrisxr2it3
Part of the Furniture

yes mate mount all good everything is tight cradle gearbox bolts ect if driven around town it fine just does it under hard load an heavy corner in

chris
Old 26-02-2011, 07:20 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by chrisxr2it3
yes mate mount all good everything is tight cradle gearbox bolts ect if driven around town it fine just does it under hard load an heavy corner in

chris
the other poss cause is grease/oil on the clutch, the oil seal between engine/gearbox and clutch could be allowing a small amount of oil through, but normally it will judder when you're pulling away, try slipping the clutch to burn any oil off, and then see if it still judders on full lock

tommy
Old 26-02-2011, 07:35 PM
chrisxr2it3
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by tommytwotanks
the other poss cause is grease/oil on the clutch, the oil seal between engine/gearbox and clutch could be allowing a small amount of oil through, but normally it will judder when you're pulling away, try slipping the clutch to burn any oil off, and then see if it still judders on full lock

tommy
il try it mate but the vibation isnt like clutch slip the only way i can describe it is that it feels like the wheel is shaking like mad ect

chris
Old 26-02-2011, 07:43 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by chrisxr2it3
il try it mate but the vibation isnt like clutch slip the only way i can describe it is that it feels like the wheel is shaking like mad ect

chris
ive just had a thought, what about worn lower suspension arm bushes

tommy
Old 26-02-2011, 07:46 PM
chrisxr2it3
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by tommytwotanks
ive just had a thought, what about worn lower suspension arm bushes

tommy
all new mate all drop links checked as well,can the internals of the gearbox give vibrations if their on their way out?

Trending Topics

Old 26-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Lord Melbury
Can you cash a cheque?

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a thought Christopher, but what condition are your tyres in? I only enquire as I have seen tyres go out of shape, some times more so on one edge, may be beneficial to have a quick examination in those quarters.
Old 26-02-2011, 07:57 PM
chrisxr2it3
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Lord Melbury
Just a thought Christopher, but what condition are your tyres in? I only enquire as I have seen tyres go out of shape, some times more so on one edge, may be beneficial to have a quick examination in those quarters.
all four tyres where new 6k ago mate,the problem has only come about since clutch an wishbones where changed 2 weeks ago iv also tried a a set of different wheels on front an problem is still their i dont no what else to try about from changing gearbox
Old 27-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Lord Melbury
Can you cash a cheque?

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I see.

Another thought that scampered across ones mind was- are you using a limited slip differential? An example with a failing clutch can cause vibration as they leap about. Maybe thinking a tad further than that, it could even be that side of the differential is the problem.
Come what may, it would seem you have a fascinating conundrum there.

The only vibrational snag I can ever remember encountering on an XR2 (this was a MK2 incidentally) was those damn bushes on the lower strut rod, the best way to check those is to turn the wheel so it's inline with the strut rod, then, try rolling the wheel to & fro- forward & back as it were, this should identify any undesirable play in the bushings.

By the way, I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs here Christopher, as I know you've said you checked all the rubber ware in those departments, but sometimes it pays to check things just one more time.

Hope you find the problem swiftly.

Melbury.
Old 27-02-2011, 05:15 PM
chrisxr2it3
Part of the Furniture

[quote=Lord Melbury;5359905]I see.

Another thought that scampered across ones mind was- are you using a limited slip differential? An example with a failing clutch can cause vibration as they leap about. Maybe thinking a tad further than that, it could even be that side of the differential is the problem.
Come what may, it would seem you have a fascinating conundrum there.

The only vibrational snag I can ever remember encountering on an XR2 (this was a MK2 incidentally) was those damn bushes on the lower strut rod, the best way to check those is to turn the wheel so it's inline with the strut rod, then, try rolling the wheel to & fro- forward & back as it were, this should identify any undesirable play in the bushings.

By the way, I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs here Christopher, as I know you've said you checked all the rubber ware in those departments, but sometimes it pays to check things just one more time.

Hope you find the problem swiftly.

Melbury.[/quote

tried another hub on the car today an the problem is still their i double checked the rubbers an bolts on everything an its all good an tight so now it looks like i might be tryin another gearbox an see what happens

chris
Old 27-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the top strut mounts on both sides dont think its your box the shafts dont have enough mass to give the vibs you describe plus gear shifts would feel odd to ,and go check each part again cos it may seem good static but when dynamic those parts get tons of load on them jack it up and realy pull it about .

Last edited by Chaz888; 27-02-2011 at 05:47 PM.