General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Showing true colours,

Search this Thread

Old 19-02-2011, 10:17 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but luke hasnt tried to get out of working there..... but seems no one else what to be part of ep at the moment and must be for a reason
Old 19-02-2011, 10:20 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
So apart from being a fucking spastic that can eat Rod Terry's car with a Saxo or some made up shit you now have friends with a bad time with EP?

Bollocks! Wind your neck in and let the people involved chat, sling shit.

Fucking mug.
i dont wants your bollocks mate im straight . and stop talking about your self again..you stupid dopey shitbag! stupid keyboard warrior i wont reply to your next post aint got time for it so say what u want u clown
Old 19-02-2011, 10:22 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by wozzy
There is an old saying....... no smoke without fire.

Regardless of all the bad reports on this thread, reading charlie danny's and luke's posts alone have probably done the most damage!!

I can only go on what i read on here as i have no personal experience, but i've never seen 3 guys involved in a business that don't know who owns it, or what their role in the business is, or whether they are indeed working there or not

no wonder all the EP mapping threads have had a drumming on here from the likes of chip, stu, flux etc, as it appears luke has been 'learning to map' and not mapping.
That's exactly what I thought; to me I don't know if the company is AFR/EP or whatever else and it seems neither do they?

And it did seem that Chip/Stu and Simon all pulled apart posts by EP with seemingly massive holes.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:23 PM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience tuning industry has been doing this shit for years, i got done 13 years ago by one well known tuner when i took my s1 for a tune up, was told my cambelt was loose and they would tension it up, watched them do it and overtightened the tensioner bolt and snap, made a bodge bracket to hold it, said tuff shit after a 2 hour row and sent me on my way!!

Lesson learnt do it yourself do it right!!
Old 19-02-2011, 10:23 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you could set up a rst turbo at home with a chip and bleed valve at 15psi....

ive had an rst turbo with the following .... and run it for a yr and drove it hard and only ever had to service it...

mfi
unlimited boost chip
piper 285t cam (when they were userable)
standard rebuild/ported and polished head
stage3 t3
nms modded metering unit
5th injector
radtec cooler
bailey breather kit
uprated fuel pump

and was sent up by Ian ball who has now brought back power engineering and done a brilliant job

any way 23psi boost and 231bhp and 247lbs and this car still is running that set up which was done in 2008 and its done 11k

Last edited by rsmark86; 19-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MO RS TURBO
i dont wants your bollocks mate im straight . and stop talking about your self again..you stupid dopey shitbag! stupid keyboard warrior i wont reply to your next post aint got time for it so say what u want u clown

Fucking hell. "stop talking about your self again" You still in school?

Must be.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Moonstone Mo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
Name one person and thier car??

And im gutted your straight !!!

cheers danny
Old 19-02-2011, 10:26 PM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by vaughant
I'm sure I read on here or another forum that if the head is warped,by bolting it down correctly it can put undue stress on the cam lobe on one end as obviously it's tightened down one side more than the other?

Not 100% sure but that sounds fair?

As for a 15psi rst,I built one myself with a bleed valve and a chipped ecu!!!

I did 25000 miles on a really old engine with this set up and it never let me down,was still running fine a few years later.

Went ok too!!!

Must have been fundamental engine probs to have caused all this,the Cvh is a tough old boot of an engine.

I wish I could afford another "chavvy" series one!!!
Thats what im saying mate and ep was paid to inspect the engine, how couldthey get it wrong and didnt they do the headgasket on johns s1, there is a fuck up here somewhere!!
Old 19-02-2011, 10:28 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Who are the others you keep mentioning??

Iv eard storys about every one of them tuners but tbh i take it as a pinch of salt and would use anyone of them myself if i had too..

I can gaurantee you something though,none of the tuners you mention above there would of dealt with any of the 3 mentioned in this thread or atleast if they did they wouldnt of gone through te shit luke did with them..

cheers danny
I'm sure they will come out the wood work but I've heard more than a few stories.

As stated above I'm sure every single tuner in the world has a bad customer/problem car. But it's certainly not a regular occurance. If it is you soon get a name like Paul Hills

The fact you said the aforementioned tuners wouldn't touch those cars says a lot; why would you then? Seems insane if you knew those cars/owners were going to cause problems?

I KNOW Stu turns down cars that he can't guarantee; he did it to me lol

Last edited by XRT_si; 19-02-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:30 PM
gaz s1

and why switch to efi on 15 psi waste of money imo mfi can cope with that easily, ive done it for the last 15 years with not a melted piston or lunched cam in sight, loads of trackdays and weekend thrashes mfi aint bad at all if set up correctly at that power level.

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:33 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gaz s1
and why switch to efi on 15 psi waste of money imo
15psi on a t3 is about 180bhp lol why spend ŁŁŁŁs getting that when a Ł15 bleed valve and a chip will do it....
Old 19-02-2011, 10:37 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Fucking hell just break off to watch Benidorm and another page has been added.

Originally Posted by wozzy
There is an old saying....... no smoke without fire.

Regardless of all the bad reports on this thread, reading charlie danny's and luke's posts alone have probably done the most damage!!

I can only go on what i read on here as i have no personal experience, but i've never seen 3 guys involved in a business that don't know who owns it, or what their role in the business is, or whether they are indeed working there or not

no wonder all the EP mapping threads have had a drumming on here from the likes of chip, stu, flux etc, as it appears luke has been 'learning to map' and not mapping.

all i can say is good luck to EP, and their un satisfied customers. sounds like you'll need it
That did occur to me mate. At the end of the day i don't know who's wrong or right about the engine problems (although i have my suspicions) but the business and organisational skills of the company don't seem to be too hot.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:37 PM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by rsmark86
15psi on a t3 is about 180bhp lol why spend ŁŁŁŁs getting that when a Ł15 bleed valve and a chip will do it....
and a decent set up, cant understand how it al went so wrong for john, d4s i can understand as 300 bhp is a different story, but if you want that just go zetec turbo job done, id stick a 31 on and dump the bleed valve though

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-02-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XRT_si

When was the last time anyone say a post like this about MSD/M.A.D/NMS/SCS/Reyland etc...
They do come up now and again!
Old 19-02-2011, 10:42 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and a decent set up, cant understand how it al went so wrong for john, d4s i can understand as 300 bhp is a different story, but if you want that just go zetec turbo job done,
johns car at 15psi should have been easy.... but i get d4s as its a hard job to get 300bhp, just ask the people that have done it, its bloody hard.

I i bet if you phone nms and say you have a standard rst and want their stage7 set up with the mods to the car to suit... you will be told at least 10k

but for 15psi and 180bhp more like Ł250 with a good set up
Old 19-02-2011, 10:45 PM
gaz s1

johns car at 15psi should have been easy.... but i get d4s as its a hard job to get 300bhp, just ask the people that have done it, its bloody hard.

I i bet if you phone nms and say you have a standard rst and want their stage7 set up with the mods to the car to suit... you will be told at least 10k

but for 15psi and 180bhp more like Ł250 with a good set up
exactly and the car is now broke, after thousands spent on a 180 brake rst thet kept lunching itself madness!!
Old 19-02-2011, 10:46 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Gary F
They do come up now and again!
i know mark shead is too good at what he does to have this happen to him, he can tell the second the car comes in, its not a good one and he wouldnt work on it untill all the problems have been sorted ...

same for nms and stu and reyland ect....

when i wanted my car done by jamsport they told me before even seeing it i had the wrong spec to do what i wanted..... i.e t34s are shit on rs turbos and makes them horrid to drive
Old 19-02-2011, 10:47 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

exactly and the car is now broke, after thousands spent on a 180 brake rst thet kept lunching itself madness!!
very true its a shame as it was a realy nice car
Old 19-02-2011, 10:52 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by D16PJM
If any other tuner has any sense they wouldn't work on your car with this attitude, it wouldn't of made any difference how the work had turned out as you have had one goal all along with a post like this.
this "attitude" ...lmao dont you think that is warranted bearing in mind the shit that he has gone through with EP?? I for one would be spitting fire and i dont blame John for feeling the way he does, as I was around at the time and know everything that went on, and the effect it had on all of us with the constant let downs!

thats just plain stupid mate, im sure he just wanted his car sorted, john i wish you had talked to me as im sure me and my mates could have sorted your car if it just started with a headgasket, feel for you mate i really do!

RST,s are a piece of piss to work on and at a bar of boost reliability shouldnt be an issue

TBH its a shame you weren't as it was started with the headgasket going, the car hadn't been on boost, we had cruised at 50 mph, hit the end of the A130, when it went, that was back in August 09!

A lot of very valid comments are coming up on here regarding Johns S1, and these are all questions that should be answered but as seen, Luke can't do that! He can go on trying to blame John for this, and that, but that still does not excuse his lack of skills regarding the engine, as the pics have shown and the lack of miles the engine managed to do each time it left the garage!
Old 19-02-2011, 11:00 PM
bruny
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the so called tuner should stump up and either appoligise or pay for the damages caused by his mistakes,i no tuners can cut corners somehow here and there but to weld the turbo to the manifold is a strange 1,if that was a good honest tuner they would fone the owner to say look your turbo needs connecting proply or whatever,we wont go ahead until you have sorted it or let us do it our way,and for the engine eating the cams all the time,surely when the tuner finished setting the car up he must of taking it for a test drive to see if all was well,like what other tuners do,
only way to save your reputation is to contact the owner of the car have face to face talk insted of digging a bigger hole with your bad comments and losing your rep what you have left of it.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:00 PM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by **caz**
this "attitude" ...lmao dont you think that is warranted bearing in mind the shit that he has gone through with EP?? I for one would be spitting fire and i dont blame John for feeling the way he does, as I was around at the time and know everything that went on, and the effect it had on all of us with the constant let downs!

TBH its a shame you weren't as it was started with the headgasket going, the car hadn't been on boost, we had cruised at 50 mph, hit the end of the A130, when it went, that was back in August 09!

A lot of very valid comments are coming up on here regarding Johns S1, and these are all questions that should be answered but as seen, Luke can't do that! He can go on trying to blame John for this, and that, but that still does not excuse his lack of skills regarding the engine, as the pics have shown and the lack of miles the engine managed to do each time it left the garage!
two hrs max to do a headgasket on a rst, its so easy to do, cant believe thats how it started and ended up broke!!, i even have 2 s1 heads sitting in my shed if the head was fooked!, feel for john i really do

Me and a few mates were having a beer last night discussing dodgy tuners and how they rip people off saying you need this that and the other then this thread comes up, says it all really!

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-02-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:07 PM
gaz s1

The engine wasnt built by us though

The car didnt come to ep untill late 2009

The car had loads of niggles hence luke checked over fitted parts etc

The valve springs wernt something evident in the begining and john told us they were correct for the said camshaft but after two cams eating themselves it was the last thing changed as they were way too strong and this caused all the damage..

How could something fitted by someone else be eps fault??

cheers danny
Surely after the first cam ate itself you knew something wasnt right, yea the cams wear but dont usely self destruct?,
Old 19-02-2011, 11:08 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The engine wasnt built by us though

The car didnt come to ep untill late 2009

The car had loads of niggles hence luke checked over fitted parts etc

The valve springs wernt something evident in the begining and john told us they were correct for the said camshaft but after two cams eating themselves it was the last thing changed as they were way too strong and this caused all the damage..

How could something fitted by someone else be eps fault??

cheers danny
what cams were they as there has been treads in rs turbos loads of times with people buying rs turbos cams and taking them for a set up, only for the first time they see some boost the cam shits its self....

and its due to poor quality cams kent cams and piper cams.

maybe if you guys did more rs turbos you would have been aware of this and used to tried and tested route of a newman cam.

power engineering had this problem years ago to the point of having their own cams made and were twice as much to buy, but not one person has killed one...
Old 19-02-2011, 11:10 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Surely after the first cam ate itself you knew something wasnt right, yea the cams wear but dont usely self destruct?,
they do in quite alot of cases, theres been loads of threads on here about people that get kent or piper cams that dont even make it off the dyno...

need to use newman or genuine ford otherwise would be good to get powers to get their old cams made again....
Old 19-02-2011, 11:11 PM
gaz s1

what cams were they as there has been treads in rs turbos loads of times with people buying rs turbos cams and taking them for a set up, only for the first time they see some boost the cam shits its self....

and its due to poor quality cams kent cams and piper cams.

maybe if you guys did more rs turbos you would have been aware of this and used to tried and tested route of a newman cam.

power engineering had this problem years ago to the point of having their own cams made and were twice as much to buy, but not one person has killed one...
i have a pe cam in mine, 12 years and not even a single tick got to be the best rst cam ever
Old 19-02-2011, 11:12 PM
gaz s1

they do in quite alot of cases, theres been loads of threads on here about people that get kent or piper cams that dont even make it off the dyno...

need to use newman or genuine ford otherwise would be good to get powers to get their old cams made again....
do they shear the lobes off then, thats shocking so maybe thats why then?, how do kent etc get away with that

If they do that with zero miles then surely if the swarf then lunches your engine a claim to kent etc should be made, not fit for purpose and all that!

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-02-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:12 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have a pe cam in mine, 12 years and not even a single tick got to be the best rst cam ever
yep i had one and realy wanted to keep it but got a good offer on my engine lol....

i might speak to Ian about finding out if they can get some reproduced as they are the best out there....
Old 19-02-2011, 11:14 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

do they shear the lobes off then, thats shocking so maybe thats why then?, how do kent etc get away with that
they blame the tuner owner or use the " you must have used the wrong oil" lol
Old 19-02-2011, 11:20 PM
gaz s1

It didnt self destruct mate it just wore a lobe and everyone thouht,oh yes this must be the problem??

The cam got changed and luke asked john what valve springs they were,john even checked with the builder of the engine

The engine was cleaned up set up and checked around the block without any problems

John took the car and everyone was happy untill the car done it again!!

What we couldnt work out was how the fuck he didnt hear it not only the first time but the second time it was completely fucked so must of been driven for ages making some horrid noises!!!

This well and trully fucked it and it needed a complete strip down as all the shrapnell had got into everything and had now eaten the crank and bearings etc..

cheers danny
It must have made a right racket mate so now im confused, first rule of rst ownership listen for every little noise and if something changes pull over sharpish
Old 19-02-2011, 11:21 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It didnt self destruct mate it just wore a lobe and everyone thouht,oh yes this must be the problem??

The cam got changed and luke asked john what valve springs they were,john even checked with the builder of the engine

The engine was cleaned up set up and checked around the block without any problems

John took the car and everyone was happy untill the car done it again!!

What we couldnt work out was how the fuck he didnt hear it not only the first time but the second time it was completely fucked so must of been driven for ages making some horrid noises!!!

This well and trully fucked it and it needed a complete strip down as all the shrapnell had got into everything and had now eaten the crank and bearings etc..

cheers danny

ive seen my mate have a miss fire with an rst and take it to powers and find out its a worn cam.... now these guys had fitted new everything igition wise and give up.... ian looked at it for 2/3 mins as he knows rst's very well, and said cam worn ( even tho it wasnt noisy)....

so the customer thinks hes wrong but changes it and bang its perfect.... Ian was on the money and customer happy.... car also had oil change and set up and this was 2 yrs ago and going strong...

cams even new are shit on rs turbos newman all the way....
Old 19-02-2011, 11:22 PM
gaz s1

they blame the tuner owner or use the " you must have used the wrong oil" lol
ah that old chestnut
Old 19-02-2011, 11:24 PM
gaz s1

ive seen my mate have a miss fire with an rst and take it to powers and find out its a worn cam.... now these guys had fitted new everything igition wise and give up.... ian looked at it for 2/3 mins as he knows rst's very well, and said cam worn ( even tho it wasnt noisy)....

so the customer thinks hes wrong but changes it and bang its perfect.... Ian was on the money and customer happy.... car also had oil change and set up and this was 2 yrs ago and going strong...

cams even new are shit on rs turbos newman all the way....
yea but if it was eating itself i think you would hear it!, especially since it chucked its guts everywhere and fucked the engine

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-02-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:25 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ah that old chestnut
yep lol it happens... the last one brought his from rally designs and they refused to help and told him to contact kent themselves lol
Old 19-02-2011, 11:33 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thing is it was missed as the engine in all fairness did look brand new and fresh through out so luke was stumped untill it became evident that the valve spring were completly wrong!!

John didnt want to spend big money so another second hand cam was fitted which of course resulted in the same fashion and this time john then supplied his old second hand top end to fit and luke rebuilt the bottom end..

I dont know what happend the last time around but i do know the whole bottom end was sold on with out any damage and that was what luke rebuilt??

cheers danny
the bottom end was broken up and the pistons and rods were sold and the crank .... not sure i think he didnt want to sell the block.

you can never use a second hand cam on a cvh otherwise your asking for trouble....
Old 19-02-2011, 11:34 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh yeh and standard genuine ford valve springs and gaskets are the only ones to use on a cvh as the rest just cause problems....
Old 19-02-2011, 11:36 PM
gaz s1

the bottom end was broken up and the pistons and rods were sold and the crank .... not sure i think he didnt want to sell the block.

you can never use a second hand cam on a cvh otherwise your asking for trouble....
na mate we have done it, not if you are running the wrong valve springs though!!
Old 19-02-2011, 11:39 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

na mate we have done it, not if you are running the wrong valve springs though!!
ive done it for the car to be no better than the last cam lol so i just buy new .... otherwise its just a waste of time
Old 19-02-2011, 11:44 PM
gaz s1

ive done it for the car to be no better than the last cam lol so i just buy new .... otherwise its just a waste of time
maybe we are just lucky, to be honest out of all of us im the only one running a modded cam everyone else runs standard with no issues, but like i said ive had my pe cam and pe stage 3 head for years and its been good as gold, best money ive ever spent on the car!

and nearly all of us run zvh which seems to improve the oil starvation noends

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-02-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:48 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

maybe we are just lucky, to be honest out of all of us im the only one running a modded cam everyone else runs standard with no issues, but like i said ive had my pe cam and pe stage 3 head for years and its been good as gold, best money ive ever spent on the car!
do you still use pe.... i know they went abit shit for awhile hen Ian left and the other guy was there, but Ian is back now and doing the goods again....
Old 19-02-2011, 11:53 PM
gaz s1

do you still use pe.... i know they went abit shit for awhile hen Ian left and the other guy was there, but Ian is back now and doing the goods again....
not anymore mate too far from me now with the price of fuel, last setup was by jamsport and i had no issues so will probably go back this year, few jobs to finish first( isnt there always) but if ian is back i might borrow my mates dolly and take it back will have to see.

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-02-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Showing true colours,