General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Broken Vectra/UK - European Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 13-02-2011, 09:26 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Vectra/UK - European Insurance?

Hello all, calling for help/advice once again!

Basically my brother lives in holland, and he has a 2004 vectra SRi, CDTi which he bought here in england and then took over there, deregistered it here and registered it there. The car itself has now broke, so my first question being, he was cruising along (over there) at around 110mph, when all of a sudden he lost all power and the car dropped to 60 - 70mph, and is now completely gutless and slow, he is saying its the turbo has gone, but then he said when he left it and then went out in it some time later, he could hear the turbo faintly spinning up again?

Hes offered it to me for £1500, it still has a good english MOT on it, he can de register it there, get the paperwork, bring it back over here, take it to local DVLA office, they check it, i buy tax there for it, and i get the english V5 logbook back within a fortnight.

Problem ive got is my insurance, i was going to fly over there, insure it on my insurance (just change my car over) spend the weekend with my brother then drive the car back.

Problems ive got, will my uk insurance cover me abroad? will the car be okay to drive the 5-600 miles back, will i be able to insure it before i get chance to re register it at the DVLA office? because if i give them the original registration number its going to show up as non existant due to it being deregisterd in this country?

Got a potential bargain car here, but seems a load of ballache tryna get it back over here
Old 13-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

You should be asking your insurer this not some random people on the internet who have no knowledge of your individual insurance policy/insurer.
Old 13-02-2011, 09:32 PM
simo2k2000
PassionFord Regular

You can insure it temporarily on the chassis number. I did this on my Focus ST when bringing it back from Germany whilst the paperwork was being sorted out

Chris
Old 13-02-2011, 09:43 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Sorry, worked 12 hours today been up since 4am, really should be in bed excuse my stupidness. I will call my insurance tommorow and check. Getting over there is no issue other than getting a lift to the airport, my brother will collect me once over there, and is lending me a tomtom with european and english maps, its just whether its ok to drive as it is or not, and the insurance/registration issue. :/ thanks