General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Removing power steering from cos?

Search this Thread

Old 30-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removing power steering from cos?

Was thinking about removing the power steering from my 3dr as will remove the clutter from the engine bay and the non power rack has more steering lock to it.

Has anyone done this?
Does the steering feel ok or is it too heavy with town driving and parking etc

Other option is electric with the Corsa rack, has anyone done this and whats its like?

Ta
Gav
Old 30-01-2011, 10:44 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

very very feckin heavy with big wheels on.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:49 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it may have more lock turn to turn but the cossie has aquicker rack does it not so still turns the same distance lock to lock, wouldnt fuck about to be honest. more expense for an unesasery reason
Old 31-01-2011, 04:59 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You will need a whole new column set up to run the corsa column, it's good but an easier option is the citroen/Peugeot electric power steering set up, no clutter in the bay and hide the pump in the passenger footwell

I'm doing it in my cossie Fiesta, Martin Hadland runs it in the escos too and that copes fine,

Last edited by M K; 31-01-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 31-01-2011, 05:32 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got no power steering on my v6 24v sierra, its not heavy at all. given the choice i would stay with the power steering though, as said the rack is quicker
Old 31-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers guys

Originally Posted by CosworthGuy
it may have more lock turn to turn but the cossie has aquicker rack does it not so still turns the same distance lock to lock, wouldnt fuck about to be honest. more expense for an unesasery reason
The steering lock on the cossie is rubbish imo, everyone I know who has had a cosworth has commented on how bad they are, I suppose if driven all the time you learn to live with it but im sure my base model was better, however I never ran big or wide wheels on that so can't really compare.

M K
Any more info on the Citroen/Peugeot set up please, is this power column or power rack.

Ta
Old 31-01-2011, 06:16 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
Cheers guys

Any more info on the Citroen/Peugeot set up please, is this power column or power rack.

Ta
they use an electric pump with built in resevoir and conventional hydraulic rack. The pumps are crap and shit themselves all the time.
Old 31-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Touring Car Spares
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by chaffe
they use an electric pump with built in resevoir and conventional hydraulic rack. The pumps are crap and shit themselves all the time.
really ,lol ??
Theyve been used in virtually every car ive seen from about the mid nineties ,failures i can recall are very few ! This in the boot of a 97 Ford mondeo , we still use them in current S-2000 BTCC cars today

Old 31-01-2011, 08:09 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by Touring Car Spares
really ,lol ??
Theyve been used in virtually every car ive seen from about the mid nineties ,failures i can recall are very few ! This in the boot of a 97 Ford mondeo , we still use them in current S-2000 BTCC cars today

on the peugeot/citroens they fail quite often, the main problem is not the pump itself but usually the reylay or wiring melting due to the high current draw if im to be more specific. Plus you dont use a touring car to do 20,000 miles a year, so id imagine things would last a bit longer on them

Last edited by chaffe; 31-01-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 31-01-2011, 08:15 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont see the point mate.
Old 31-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Char1ie

I have an electric power steering pump from a Saxo powering the original rack on a 2WD Sapph. You can mount the system anywhere and it doesn't sap any power from the engine. It's very neat. I don't have any photos yet but will take some soon. It feels a little heavier at standstill but works very well on the move.

Luke at Enhanced Performance fitted it all.

Charlie
Old 31-01-2011, 06:48 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Charlie did you use new aeroquip type fittings? i have a saxo pump i am going to be using but i want new aeroquip line from pump to rack and back but not sure if i could get them to fit the rack/pump

Thanks
Marc
Old 31-01-2011, 06:54 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

the problem i found with the electrohydraulic system was its very slow if you have to do a fast turn from one way to the other.
Old 31-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Craig J
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

For a road car I'd stick with standard. On a race or track car it divides opinion. Some like Graham Goode swear by manual steering. Others like Greg Rose at X-Sport wouldn't do without. I think it's a case of try it with and without and see what you prefer.
Old 31-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Char1ie

Originally Posted by M K
Charlie did you use new aeroquip type fittings? i have a saxo pump i am going to be using but i want new aeroquip line from pump to rack and back but not sure if i could get them to fit the rack/pump

Thanks
Marc
Nah, it's mostly hydraulic lines - strong black rubber I assume, or similar. Not aeroquip though.

Charlie
Old 01-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The pump in the pics above looks quite big, I take it you would not be able to hide this behind the dash.

Originally Posted by Craig J
For a road car I'd stick with standard. On a race or track car it divides opinion. Some like Graham Goode swear by manual steering. Others like Greg Rose at X-Sport wouldn't do without. I think it's a case of try it with and without and see what you prefer.
Does seem to be all track cars, just wandered why its never been done to road cars??
Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by M K

Thanks
Marc
looks like bsp/jic twin wire hydraulic hose
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Gav, don't go for non assisted steering.. I promise you that you will hate it very quickly.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Char1ie

Originally Posted by chaffe
looks like bsp/jic twin wire hydraulic hose
The set-up in the picture is not mine.

My pump is on the chassis leg on the turbo side. Reservoir is just behind the rad also on the turbo side. It's very neat.

No reason why it wouldn't work on a road car but the original Ford setup works very well so no need to change I think.

I'll take some pics soon.

The Saxo pump was around Ł60 from a scrapyard and came with the fluid reservoir I think.

Charlie
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Char1ie

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
Gav, don't go for non assisted steering.. I promise you that you will hate it very quickly.
I have raced a few times on standard rack without power assist and once on the move it feels fine.

Charlie
Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

are you going to be using the car for drifting? If not would the lack of extra lock really bother you on the road?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate non power steering on track cars, no good if you need to get loads of lock on really quickly as invariably its a slower rack as well.

Quick rack and PAS all the way for me TBH

Im going to use the electro hydraulic setup on my new clio, Ive got electric column on my corsa that I retrofitted with a standalone controller but its a lot more hassle to retrofit than an electric pump is so as my clio already has a power rack designed for use with hydraulics im just going to use the electric pump instead.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

I had a twin cam Saph very briefly with no PAS. And there was a good reason I had it very briefly. Without PAS and on big wheels, it was bloody horrible! Crap for parking and stuff. It's too big a car to not have PAS in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks guys, think the general opinion is leave it as is so might leave it alone for now..
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either fit a adjustable epas column or don't bother IMO

I can't imagine its that much of a ball ache to fit really.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Char1ie
I have an electric power steering pump from a Saxo powering the original rack on a 2WD Sapph. You can mount the system anywhere and it doesn't sap any power from the engine. It's very neat. I don't have any photos yet but will take some soon. It feels a little heavier at standstill but works very well on the move.

Luke at Enhanced Performance fitted it all.

Charlie
interesting. do you not have an alternator on your race car? just run from a battery and then charge that from the mains between races?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
As said above p.a.s all the way with the proper quick rack!!

Non pas is horrid..

Charlie set up is lovely and would be worth while on a fast road car to but if your std system is working fine i wouldnt bother..

I have a proper btcc electric pump on my race car all sourced from tony tcs..

cheers danny
That said the Peugeot is non PAS and the steering is great, even on 10.5" wide tyres. I was very suprised as I expected it to be a right nightmare to turn.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Howuch are the proper btcc pumps
Tony? Second hand,

I've got a saxo as Martin uses as he has performed fine and only cost Ł35

Thanks
Marc
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Char1ie

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
interesting. do you not have an alternator on your race car? just run from a battery and then charge that from the mains between races?
Yes, have an alternator but it's a very small alternator from Edge Performance - thanks to Danny.

Why do you ask? Space constraints?

Charlie
Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Char1ie

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
Thanks guys, think the general opinion is leave it as is so might leave it alone for now..
Good choice by the way.

Charlie
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Yes, have an alternator but it's a very small alternator from Edge Performance - thanks to Danny.

Charlie
Think he was being sarcastic You mentioned no load on your engine....
Old 02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Charlie

As martin mentions, no doubt because the load on the alternator is increased when the PAS is active so Nick is saying that it does sap engine power still.

That said, at least it doesnt have constant sacrificial losses even on the straights like a normal PAS setup, and of course the times when you are loading up the PAS turning into a corner you tend not to be accelerating anyway, so I reckon your comment stands quite well TBH mate!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Power Steering-19 People like this
Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Chip
That said, at least it doesnt have constant sacrificial losses even on the straights like a normal PAS setup, and of course the times when you are loading up the PAS turning into a corner you tend not to be accelerating anyway, so I reckon your comment stands quite well TBH mate!
Agree.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by Chip
As martin mentions, no doubt because the load on the alternator is increased when the PAS is active so Nick is saying that it does sap engine power still.

agree entirely in principle, but it's important to get it all factually correct and in context

so to say that an alternator that is belt driven, on bearings with friction, with an inertia to rotate, and maybe a fan to drive around doesn't have a sacrificial loss is also factually incorrect, although in reality it is possibly so small to ignore. but then so is maybe the parasitic loss of a traditional hydraulic pump when you are on the straight and only really loads up the engine when you turn in

having said all of that, i am sure that an electric setup is more efficient, hence most car manufacturers going that way if it shows even a slight improvement in fuel economy or reduction in emmissions in the EU drive cycles (done in a straight line, so they probably switch off the system entirely for the test), although to some extent they are probably used for packaging reasons, and so that they can be easily tuned for different models of the same platform.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best power steering I've ever driven is my old mans escos, zf pump with 1.9 turns lock to lock and you can turn it with barely any force it feels great
Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by J1mbo
Best power steering I've ever driven is my old mans escos, zf pump with 1.9 turns lock to lock and you can turn it with barely any force it feels great
interesting - a lot of people think that assistance takes feel away. like removing the connection between the surface of the track and the hands on the steering wheel. some people, me included, like to feel when the steering goes light to know when you're approaching the limit of grip. i'm not convinced that assistance removes that feeling, just that the difference is more subtle.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Hmmm I don't know, I'd probably disagree, I feel I get a lot of feel and feed back through the steering on the escos, maybe me just getting used to the feel but i think it's great,

It must be pretty good for the grp a and wrc escos drivers not to have changed it!?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Different principle as a circuit car though??

When i went on the pump that tony sold me its actually got a stiffer feel but gives more feed back for it..

At the end of the day its what you get used to i suppose..

cheers danny
Whats the difference between a track and a smooth Tarmac rally, they're pretty similar and the cars were never changed, I don't see the there being much difference, but tbh I'm not as experienced as I'd like to be when comparing so will stay a bit shut up about this lol

It may be down to elec steering not being out ??

I agree its what your used to and like, people always get comfortable with what they have
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

It was a serious question if anything as the grp a and wrc cars obviously did alot more work on loose surfaces than a circuit car??

My electric pump for example was designed for circuit racing..

cheers danny
Yeah I understand, Im just thinking, if a elec pump was so much better why wouldn't they have used them for tarmac, or rallying full stop,

I'd like to hear from people in the rallying scene,

Danny do you know why they went to elec pump exactly or hopefully Tony could help us a bit

Quick Reply: Removing power steering from cos?