General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Carlo or BMW folk!!

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Ima Racing
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Carlo or BMW folk!!

I havent used my M5 (E60 Model) for a while so found it had a flat battery, so i jumped it as said in the manual and have found the airbag and seatbelt light stay on with a red airbag light in middle and a warning on the idrive say airbag safety restraint system faulty......never had this before! My odb code reader says there are no faults so i cant reset...any ideas before i go to the stealers lol??? I read in america the airbag system has a 10 year warranty but not UK after speaking to my local stealer.
Old 28-01-2011, 11:29 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

it will be due to undervoltage mate seen it happen a few times charge the battery fully ! you will most likley have to have the lights reset at bmw we would charge £60 + vat for this. Also because the battery demand is high on these cars sometimes the heated rear screen etc might not work they shut all the high drain things down so the engine managment has as much power it can get for as long as it can get to keep the car mobile.
Old 28-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Ima Racing

Hi mate i put a new battery on but still does it so i guess a reset is due...infact i think the rear screen isnt working too...LOL.
Old 28-01-2011, 01:23 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Yes mate ! but im sure that car might have to have a registering battery ! all cars with ibs battery cables need a special battery if you have just fitted a normal battery that will cause trouble as well
Old 28-01-2011, 01:29 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you fitted a new battery or just jump started it? The batteries are a cunt to get to if there anything like the ones we have here (underneath the relays, amp etc..) and as Carlo said, it'll need registering that it's got a new battery
Old 28-01-2011, 01:32 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

The batterys from bmw themselfs are called registered batterys ! we have a x5 yesterday that didnt have the correct battery fitted it kept losing the date & time etc
Old 28-01-2011, 02:48 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it really is something when you have to register a battery to the car

what next? you've got to be wearing corporate bmw merchandise in order to drive one?

they can't fix their indicators but batteries that won't work until they have been programed to the car, well
Old 28-01-2011, 02:53 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Dojj you have no idea with bmw we cant fit a part under warranty untill the diagnostic test plan tells you to , you also need to write a diagnostic code down & most cars now for missfires you dont put a spanner near them they get reprogramed first with the latest version , that most of the times writes the missfire out or such likes ! then you start replacing parts. They are so complex now its not true i petty anyone that serves their time in a back street garage & has to come into a bmw dealership it would be a whole new world to the best of tech's. Even tho you know whats wrong with the car untill the computer tells you in black & white you cant replace anything .
Old 28-01-2011, 03:04 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by carlo
Dojj you have no idea with bmw we cant fit a part under warranty untill the diagnostic test plan tells you to , you also need to write a diagnostic code down & most cars now for missfires you dont put a spanner near them they get reprogramed first with the latest version , that most of the times writes the missfire out or such likes ! then you start replacing parts. They are so complex now its not true i petty anyone that serves their time in a back street garage & has to come into a bmw dealership it would be a whole new world to the best of tech's. Even tho you know whats wrong with the car untill the computer tells you in black & white you cant replace anything .
that's like being back at school, or living with your folks

saying that, my transit is at ford because it needs a software update to sort the hunting at idle, but how the van knew it needed an update and starting playing up, i have no idea
Old 28-01-2011, 03:11 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

I know bm's are the same they run fine for ages & you work through a test plan it says reprograme car ? fucking crazy
Old 28-01-2011, 03:15 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

its amazing how cars have progressed, gone are the days when you could fix almost anything on a saturday afternoon with a screwdriver,

now you need a big hammer
Old 28-01-2011, 03:33 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments.
its amazing how cars have progressed, gone are the days when you could fix almost anything on a saturday afternoon with a screwdriver,

now you need a big hammer
or a box of matches
Old 28-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by dojj
or a box of matches
Aha.
Old 28-01-2011, 04:13 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

saying that, my transit is at ford because it needs a software update to sort the hunting at idle, but how the van knew it needed an update and starting playing up, i have no idea
Mate of mine's new shape transit did this, software update didn't fix it, had to have a couple of valves or something replaced on the fuel rail!

I think it's pretty bloody terrible really about things such like registering a new battery with the ECU. Just leads to massive over-complications which can only be sorted by main dealers. Give it a few more years and there will be no such thing as an independant 'back street' garage IMO.
Old 28-01-2011, 05:37 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

is it such a bad idea that vehicles will need to be worked on by properly trained people, rather than any charlie with a set of spanners? ok, you can go too far with certain things that are only setup by the manufacturer to make sure that their dealer network is looked after, but there is a european law that says that independant garagres are entitled to get the same tools as a franchised dealer.
Old 28-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Carlo, is there a similar thing on the e39, i had a flat battery, since then i have had the airbag light on, or is it just a coincidence?
Old 28-01-2011, 09:28 PM
dojj

funnily enough, they are going to replace a valve on the fuel rail, a valve in the heater system, and fix the power steering pipe
Old 31-01-2011, 03:05 PM
FAL
Virgin

Originally Posted by Twellsie
Carlo, is there a similar thing on the e39, i had a flat battery, since then i have had the airbag light on, or is it just a coincidence?
No, the E39's don't have the intelligent battery sensor, so you don't have to register the battery.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:14 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

as above , e39's with battery faults mostly the heater resistor is foooked draining it
Old 31-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is most likely to be the top solenoid on the high pressure pump.
Old 31-01-2011, 04:30 PM
dojj

It's at 117k miles so we've got to pay for it, might ask hinge to look up what they did to it if they don't give me a few sheets of paper to tell me what they are billing us for, £120 for "exploration work" and I said "it's not like you are going to be drilling for oil is it"
Old 31-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It's amazing just how tied in cars are getting to the main dealer, quite scarey really!
Old 31-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Ima Racing

...yes it fucking is....but i had to tell the BMW workshop bloke it needed a reset to clear the lights and that it had to be registered..."oh ok hope thats the problem then"
Old 31-01-2011, 06:06 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

they already knew that mate they were just playing dumb to hit you with it a couple hundred quid later
Old 31-01-2011, 06:06 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

p.s make sure the car is in regular use or get a trickle charger for it if its not moving much
Old 31-01-2011, 06:13 PM
naturally aspirated
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CARLO. (or any BMW techs) I need your BMW technical advice here. I was thinking of buying my other half an older style BM just to get her to work and back. I was thinking of a 2001/2 3 series, probably a 4 pot, or a 2.0 s/six if I saw one at the right money. Do these year cars have the same issues with the dealers?
Old 31-01-2011, 06:27 PM
FAL
Virgin

Originally Posted by naturally aspirated
CARLO. (or any BMW techs) I need your BMW technical advice here. I was thinking of buying my other half an older style BM just to get her to work and back. I was thinking of a 2001/2 3 series, probably a 4 pot, or a 2.0 s/six if I saw one at the right money. Do these year cars have the same issues with the dealers?
No, you should be okay with an older E46 3-Series. Fairly simple to work on, and any in-depth work/electronics, should be able to be done at a good indy (Being my line of work, i know for a fact that BMW haven't released any software updates for the 46, since June 2008 - another reason not to take it back to a main agent).
Old 31-01-2011, 06:44 PM
naturally aspirated

Thanks FAL. The advice is appreciated.
Old 31-01-2011, 07:37 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

The valvetronic 4 cylinder engine is a bit of a pain in the arse if it goes wrong ! they have eccentric camshaft & electronic valvetronic motor we have seen loads with wear on the shaft causing missfires etc but no cheap fix i wouldnt go near a valvetronic ever ! the 6 cylinder is far better imho hard as nails.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Ima Racing

it will cost £102 inc vat max depending on how long it takes...of course i expect the full figure
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thats not that bad mate
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

That's fucking mad stuff!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Digital cameras etc have had these batteries for many many years chaps, its good that they are also being used in the auto industry.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
dojj

My iPhone tells me that my car charger isn't registered and so won't charge the battery in the phone

The bastard.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
naturally aspirated

The valvetronic 4 cylinder engine is a bit of a pain in the arse if it goes wrong ! they have eccentric camshaft & electronic valvetronic motor we have seen loads with wear on the shaft causing missfires etc but no cheap fix i wouldnt go near a valvetronic ever ! the 6 cylinder is far better imho hard as nails.
Are we talking 316 or 318 here? Which to go for, which not to? Although I would probably hold out for a 6 pot tbh.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

ima why not try bigmotoringworld on the A20 might be cheaper than a main dealer
Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ford is also like this, except i'd hope the bmw version works better than ours as at times it can be a total nightmare telling you to check this, check that and check the othere when you know straight away what the fualt is as you can see where the power steering pipe is leaking from yet it still wants you to run through all kinds of random pointless checks, sadly there isn't a option "i've identified the failure without the help of the fucking computer" & sadly every warranty job needs to go on the diagnostic machine and run through the diagnostic procedures it suggest regardless!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
dojj

years ago one of our vito's blew off it's intercooler pipe

30 seconds to put hte pipe and clip back on, nearly an hour to clear the fault codes

there is a boost leak
there is not enough fuel pressure
there is too much air
the injectors aren't opening
it's in los mode
etc
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Ima Racing

.....hey i just thought is it going to be a problem i put an aftermarket battery on my car? (our company sells them so unlikely to go to the dealer lol!)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it a VRLA / Dry / Spiral Cell battery Phil?

If so I believe you should be able to register it ok, but if its a normal lead acid battery then you wont.

You can get a tool to chat to the on board diagnostics but Ive not personally used it so cant comment on how well it works:
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

Quick Reply: FAO Carlo or BMW folk!!