General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

why can't the UK have nice retro cars like the US

Search this Thread

Old 26-01-2011, 11:53 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
why on earth would u want one of them ugly looking yank nails most of them still have horse and cart suspention lol over here we get much better cars like amg mercs m3s or porsche just to name a few! european cars are light years ahead!
shows how much you know, the only vehicle in America that have cart springs is the mustang, because the customer wanted it for Drag racing, everything else has independent all round, just like the euro stuff, in fact most the stuff in America is using the same chassis as stuff i euro, just with different body, like jaguar x type and mondeo, same car, diffent body.
Old 27-01-2011, 12:13 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad we don't get them, Look shite imo. Would have the rs over all of them! Wouldn't mind an old school mustang though!
Old 27-01-2011, 09:18 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by bj928
shows how much you know, the only vehicle in America that have cart springs is the mustang, because the customer wanted it for Drag racing, everything else has independent all round, just like the euro stuff, in fact most the stuff in America is using the same chassis as stuff i euro, just with different body, like jaguar x type and mondeo, same car, diffent body.
Still boats lol
Old 27-01-2011, 05:32 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

try drivin one them nice yank cars on our rounds they built for flat straight roads
Old 27-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how people say yank crap ! so whats a ford then? ho and live axle cars work fine with the right layout and yep I would have most of that yank crap big v 6 or 8 yes thanks, and the looks hoooo yeeesss.
Old 27-01-2011, 07:32 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaz888
Funny how people say yank crap ! so whats a ford then? ho and live axle cars work fine with the right layout and yep I would have most of that yank crap big v 6 or 8 yes thanks, and the looks hoooo yeeesss.
Ford is an American company at the top, but Ford of Europe have been making very different cars generally. Just look at the stuff on sale there compared to here. They're slowly moving closer together again, but they still sell a lot of cheap, plasticky crap that they wouldn't dare sell in quality obsessed Europe, because they know they would be a sales flop.

The thing is, generally speaking, cars for the US and Europe have very different requirements. The US stuff is suitable over there, but not over here. Simple as that.
Old 27-01-2011, 07:36 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dingla rs
try drivin one them nice yank cars on our rounds they built for flat straight roads
the American roads make the british roads look good, i've done about 100,000 miles over the last year driving a truck in America, and the roads for the most are like a dirt track compared to the uk roads with pot holes everywhere, before i came out here i thought british roads were bad, but i take it all back, and they do have there fair share of roads just like in the UK, a few states have dead straight roads for miles, but once you get off the interstates and onto the A road sort of road, they are just as good as british roads for having fun on, just try and miss the pot holes, they also have a lot of roads that are just dirt with bends on, and you can have loads of fun drifting and pretending your a rally driver, even in an 18 wheeler.
Old 27-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Ford is an American company at the top, but Ford of Europe have been making very different cars generally. Just look at the stuff on sale there compared to here. They're slowly moving closer together again, but they still sell a lot of cheap, plasticky crap that they wouldn't dare sell in quality obsessed Europe, because they know they would be a sales flop.

The thing is, generally speaking, cars for the US and Europe have very different requirements. The US stuff is suitable over there, but not over here. Simple as that.
Yes I get what your saying but the tec and ideas are yank just odd to slam the people that make the cars we like ,ho and my car was made in michigan usa.
Old 27-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Northants Ford Fan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we could do with some of their soft suspension set cars ups cars over here to help cope with the shit potholed roads we have to put up with at the moment.
Old 28-01-2011, 03:44 AM
buzznwood
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by bj928
I'm afraid the only reason the current mustang doesn't have IRS is because some stupid bean counter thought they would save a few $'s on each car by using a live rear axle. In the end it cost ford more to remove the IRS and replace it with a live rear axle than if they had just stuck with the intended IRS.

Seeing as more mustangs are sold to people that don't drag race than do, there is a whole ford racing parts setup that they could have used to sell the horse n cart parts for drag racers to add to their mustang.

The mustang now at least has good engines in it and the interior is higher quality, all they need to do is loose 10" from it then place it in on a diet and make it look nice, it's seems in attempting to making the current model look smaller with it's mid life update all the have done is round everything off so it looks like a used bar of soap . Hopefully the 2014 will be something worth owning.

Personally I think the US car designs are pretty hit n miss, seems like they put more effort into the design of SUV's than they do the cars. Not that newer euro ford cars look that nice now it's the one world ford mantra, the new mk3 focus is just plain fugly and whoever a ford thinks that interiors should have as many buttons in them as I have keys on my laptop needs shooting.