General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

can a 2wd saph be made to handle as well as an e36 m3?

Search this Thread

Old 16-01-2011, 09:57 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
have you driven one to compare,,,,, your saying to buy cars worth TWICE the value and in reality wont offer much more considering the price,,,, might aswell recomend him to buy as GT2 as its a better car, i was refering to price options to what he is looking for

as i said for the money impreza's cost these days they are great cars for the cash and under estimated due to the crappy image

ive had mine over 3 years and ive yet to melt a engine and im sure a few on here have seen me drive
my last evo cost me £1800,is yours only worth £900 Ginge?lol joking
Old 16-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have bought that mint white saff that had the dodgy kit bryan,at least if you get a cosworth it will hold its value over the years unlike scoobys and most other makes(if that bothers you)
If you do go for a saff bryan let me know i come with you ive had a few and know were to look,i also have a nice tool to that will tell us if any panels have had paint, theres always something people hide and think you wont know
Old 16-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by lawnsy
I hated my E36 m3...thought it handled like poo...My saff is defo better to drive and easyer to control when the rear comes out....
I can vouch for that im still having nightmares about going sideways in your saff that time you took me out in it lol.
Old 16-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
as opposed to the chocolate headgasketed english taxi??
Werent cossies built in belgium genk???
Old 16-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Buy an m5. It still makes me laugh how people compare the jap cars againist cossies. The technology in jap land is way ahead of anywhere else in the world. Wel they were in the 80s and 90s.
Old 16-01-2011, 11:12 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn.
Buy an m5. It still makes me laugh how people compare the jap cars againist cossies. The technology in jap land is way ahead of anywhere else in the world. Wel they were in the 80s and 90s.
is choosing to use more expensive to produce suspension with better geometry known as technology now?
Old 16-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Kerbey
When my saph was stage 3, I had a decent set of leda coilovers and sensible ride height with polybushes all around and it was a dream to drive. Took it on a few track days and the newer shape m3 couldnt keep up with me round brands hatch. Aslong as you have a good make of tyre all around, renewed bushes and suspension which isnt to low, in my opinion the car handles as well as it needs to at that power level, round bends and on the straights.
Yes, also to be aware is that E36 M3s are between 18 -> 11 years old now and being heavy cars they really hammer the suspension.

You need to keep on top of the shocks, RTABs, front wishbone bushes and ball joints to keep them as good as they can be. Decent tyres will also set you back.
If you drive one with knackered bushes ( esp the RTABs ) they feel horrible, following ridges and steering the front all over the place
Old 16-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
no thats ginge's driving
no it DID understeer like mad hence i spent a fiver or so upgrading the suspension and apart from the SOLID/make your teeth fall out suspension that makes the car feel your driving on square tyres the handling is honestly in another world,,,,,, that now it DEF needs more power hence its in a million bits right now and im thinking about taking the engine out how too pmsl

you can buy a well sorted impreza with uprated roll bars, drop links, polybushes and coilovers with adjustable top mounts and most impotant anti lift kit, next time i see you ask me for the keys brian and take it for a spin and see how you feel its honestly nice to rag the arse out of

as for jap car issues, mine is a jap import wrx sti model that has a mines ECU that is ment to have too much ignition but ive held it out at the top speed a good few times ( ask anyone whos been on a motorway with me or SiB when we got lost in begium from the rest and we was going the wrong way,, AT SPEED to catch up then had to turn round and go FASTER the only issue i had was,,,,, the fuel bill pmsl

i LOVE my old saph and would love to get another but reality is its a VERY old car now that got to a price where they wasnt worth mantaining and finding a good one is fucking hard
Old 16-01-2011, 02:27 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Ginge, I love imprezas but you're setting yourself up for a fall here... ie when she goes bang! Classic sti's (v3,v4,v5,v6) aren't so much 'if' but 'when'

It may be that yours has had a really good rebuild, or it's got a later bottom end.

I'd imagine if it was on the original bottom end it would have shat itself by now with 3 years of the driving you describe.
Old 16-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is def original but getting a new ecu end of the month and new turbo ect and ive never had a issue with it, maybe i dont abuse it but it does get driven hard when the time is needed and done 2 ring trips but its getting older now hence its off the road for maintanance to let it live, engine build next year the reshell to a type r
Old 16-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DangerousBryan
I suppose I mean corner as neutraljy.my e36 is on eibachs,bilsteins and a few strut braces and feels really well balanced.its so easy to hold a slide in it.
Getting back on topic, I would say yes, it is possible. Definitely recommend the beam mod though. Everything else would be as for an M3, good tyres, new bushes, shocks etc.
You might strike lucky and find one with Ahmed springs and Konis which are a great set-up and save the money for the beam/diff mount which really bring it on a level with newer stuff.
Makes it a lot more neutral and progressive at the limit