General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help ?

Car is sitting at 3k revs at idol, and when you dip the clutch when driving, the revs shoot upto 3k. now i thought throttle hang, which V6 Duratec's are renound for, but if you take your foot off the accelerator when your driving, it accelerates on its own, with your foot off the accelerator, kind of like the throttle is stook. ive disconnected the ISCV, started the car with the ISCV disconnected, as V6 Duratec's like to eat ISCV's, but it still jumps upto the 3k revs, and sits there ????
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

ive spoke to a few mates in the mondeo clubs with V6 mondys. after exploring a few avenues, with no success, ive been advised to remove the ECU fuses for an hour, to reset the ECU.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar happened to my old Saph Cossie as a bolt fell out the inlet manifold causing a massive air leak. Revved to 3000rpm till I put a new bolt in, so maybe yours is an air leak?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Certainly sounds like an air leak on the inlet somewhere. Get some easy start, give it a good squirt around the gaskets/hoses etc and listen for any change in rpm.

Or maybe the VAT rise today has caused your car's MPG to drop massively, and it hasn't yet adjusted to it?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
Similar happened to my old Saph Cossie as a bolt fell out the inlet manifold causing a massive air leak. Revved to 3000rpm till I put a new bolt in, so maybe yours is an air leak?
ive checked all the pipes, removed, and replaced them, unplugged the ISCV, the EGR valve, the MAF, everything, still doing it. as i said, V6 Duratec's are renound for throttle hang, something to do with smog calibration in the ECU, there is an easy fix for that, but ive got a feeling it isnt that. it does have similar symptoms, when you dip the clutch, the revs shoot up to around 3k, then slowly drop off back to normal, mine though, isnt dropping at all. and usually with throttle hang, at idle, there ok, mine isnt, its at 3k at idle, infact the only time it isnt at 3k, is when you put in fourth or fith gear doing 25mph, then the revs drop rite off
Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rich170
Certainly sounds like an air leak on the inlet somewhere. Get some easy start, give it a good squirt around the gaskets/hoses etc and listen for any change in rpm.

Or maybe the VAT rise today has caused your car's MPG to drop massively, and it hasn't yet adjusted to it?
Very funny richard. i explained the missing smiley situation yesterday, but obviously, im never going to live that down, although to be fair, if it was someone else, i wouldnt let them live it down either
Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi fiddy.has the battery been removed/gone flat lately?every modern ford I've ever owned has this problem after a battery removal,feels like the cars stuck on cruise control.

Also,is it cable operated in anyway?if so check the routing of it as fords have been known to get shitted up at the end causing all sorts of problems,I've seen this on the dervs a few times.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Fiddy ill do you an insurane job for Ł100....LOL..
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
Hi fiddy.has the battery been removed/gone flat lately?every modern ford I've ever owned has this problem after a battery removal,feels like the cars stuck on cruise control.

Also,is it cable operated in anyway?if so check the routing of it as fords have been known to get shitted up at the end causing all sorts of problems,I've seen this on the dervs a few times.
hello mate. the only thing that has been a miss lately is last week, wor lass went to her mates, phoned me, 'car wont start', her mates husband bumped it off, no bother since. the only thing i can think of, is my starter motor has been sticking since i bought it, its litterally for a millisecond when you start it, then it clears. well after wor lass coudlnt get it to start last week, the day after, i went out in it, first two turns of the key, the starter motor proper stuck, car didnt start, third turn of the key, started straight away, been fine ever since, untill today, when the 3k revs issue began.

i drove the car a good 45 miles today, no problem, about 2 miles from home, i had to pull out of a junction onto a duel carrageway. put my toe doen to get upto speed, about 5.5k revs in first, same in second, then just into third steady, and fourth, and fifth, then when i went to pull of the duel carrageway, thats when i noticed the revs were sticking. so wether it has something to do with with giving it the beans, or its just coincidental, i have no idea.

me and mate who has an ST24, have just double checked all pipes, hoses etc, throttle butterfly, ISCV, and neither of us can find anything out of place. the only thing that looks a little bit wrong is the throttle cable, its a little bit stretched, not a great deal, just it does have some play in it before it starts to pull on the throttle butterfly.

its genuinely blagging my head. i know these cars pretty well, im no mechanic, or expert, but i always work out problems my self, but this, has got me scratching my head.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsmat
And I'll give you a ton for the wheels mat so you could do well on this!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rsmat
dont tempt me mat. infact, id get more breaking the shonky old twat, the inlet manifold, pipercross viper, morettes, and blueflame exhaust, cost more than i paid for the car

the thing is, as i said, i know these cars/engines well. ive adressed all the problem areas, put everything in place to stop the common things they suffer from (prevention is better than cure and all that), and the fucking thing runs like a swiss watch, well, it did
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

And I'll give you a ton for the wheels mat so you could do well on this!!!
its on my winter wheels at the minute, ST24 rims, the EsCos rims are under my bed
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fiddy
hello mate. the only thing that has been a miss lately is last week, wor lass went to her mates, phoned me, 'car wont start', her mates husband bumped it off, no bother since. the only thing i can think of, is my starter motor has been sticking since i bought it, its litterally for a millisecond when you start it, then it clears. well after wor lass coudlnt get it to start last week, the day after, i went out in it, first two turns of the key, the starter motor proper stuck, car didnt start, third turn of the key, started straight away, been fine ever since, untill today, when the 3k revs issue began.

i drove the car a good 45 miles today, no problem, about 2 miles from home, i had to pull out of a junction onto a duel carrageway. put my toe doen to get upto speed, about 5.5k revs in first, same in second, then just into third steady, and fourth, and fifth, then when i went to pull of the duel carrageway, thats when i noticed the revs were sticking. so wether it has something to do with with giving it the beans, or its just coincidental, i have no idea.

me and mate who has an ST24, have just double checked all pipes, hoses etc, throttle butterfly, ISCV, and neither of us can find anything out of place. the only thing that looks a little bit wrong is the throttle cable, its a little bit stretched, not a great deal, just it does have some play in it before it starts to pull on the throttle butterfly.

its genuinely blagging my head. i know these cars pretty well, im no mechanic, or expert, but i always work out problems my self, but this, has got me scratching my head.

Yeah,that sounds like the symptoms,it's probably due to the bumpstarting situation as the ecu "relearns" or so I'm told.Its happenned to every ford I've owned where you go on a bit of a run after the battery change and the revs hold.

It is odd to continue to do it on idle and as you seem to also have a throttle cable issue,double check the routing of it.is it easy to remove the throttle cable and then see if the fault clears?you can rev it via the butterfly on the throttle and see if it settles?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its on my winter wheels at the minute, ST24 rims, the EsCos rims are under my bed
Ahh fuck that then!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:16 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dont tempt me mat. infact, id get more breaking:
.............and then insurance jobbing it!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Yeah,that sounds like the symptoms,it's probably due to the bumpstarting situation as the ecu "relearns" or so I'm told.Its happenned to every ford I've owned where you go on a bit of a run after the battery change and the revs hold.

It is odd to continue to do it on idle and as you seem to also have a throttle cable issue,double check the routing of it.is it easy to remove the throttle cable and then see if the fault clears?you can rev it via the butterfly on the throttle and see if it settles?

ive just put the reset the ECU, and put the fuses back in, still doing it, so its not ECU related either.

the only time the revs drop, is if you do say 25mph in fourth or fifth gear, then the revs drop down to 1k, but it speeds up its self, without me even touching the accelerator

the butterfly works fine revving it from 3k up, just as soon as you let go of the butterfly, it drops back down to 3k revs, so its 3k revs +, or nothing
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

.............and then insurance jobbing it!!!
then buying an ST200 and putting all my parts on it
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

It is ONLY air that an make the engine speed increase, you have disconnected ISCV etc, but it does it when the clutch is depressed which would suggest something electronic is raising idle speed, I would check that the throttle is actually closing I.E it's not stuck open partially (An engine with no load needs surprisingly little air to increase speed) after this I would be checking the inlet manifold as said although I wouldn't be using easy start as this contains Ethanol and is flammable, I would either listen or use WD40 instead.

Only other thing that is unusual is these engines have IMRC and so I am wondering if the ECU is raising revs through this.

Martin
Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

then buying an ST200 and putting all my parts on it
Great minds and all that!!!theoretically of course as that could be considered illegal.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Great minds and all that!!!theoretically of course as that could be considered illegal.
in theory, its a win win situation, but the reality is, ive spent far to much on, and got far to attatched to, the shonky old twat, so i may say it in jest, but i defo wont be doing it, unfortunatly lol
Old 04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by martysmartie
It is ONLY air that an make the engine speed increase, you have disconnected ISCV etc, but it does it when the clutch is depressed which would suggest something electronic is raising idle speed, I would check that the throttle is actually closing I.E it's not stuck open partially (An engine with no load needs surprisingly little air to increase speed) after this I would be checking the inlet manifold as said although I wouldn't be using easy start as this contains Ethanol and is flammable, I would either listen or use WD40 instead.

Only other thing that is unusual is these engines have IMRC and so I am wondering if the ECU is raising revs through this.

Martin
i did fit a new Inlent Manifold Runner Controller, as my other one was shot, and didnt open the secondaries at 3k revs. now, they will be open constantly

actually, on relfection, maybe the secondaries are stuck open ?, but that said, that would raise the revs, they would just open constantly
Old 04-01-2011, 05:35 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

in theory, its a win win situation, but the reality is, ive spent far to much on, and got far to attatched to, the shonky old twat, so i may say it in jest, but i defo wont be doing it, unfortunatly lol
I'm sure it'll be something easy anyway.I had the mk1 ghia 24v and it was awesome,went well,reliable,lovely to drive just heavy on petrol!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

I'm sure it'll be something easy anyway.I had the mk1 ghia 24v and it was awesome,went well,reliable,lovely to drive just heavy on petrol!!!
they are decent cars mate, im on my second V6 now, and for the money, its a no brainer. you wont get much more car, for less money.

as for the petrol

im getting

which is obviously the biggest downside. but it sounds lovely
Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

its genuinely blagging my head. i know these cars pretty well, im no mechanic, or expert, but i always work out problems my self, but this, has got me scratching my head

FOOKING WHAT..............................You would be fooked with out me lol......
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I think you should get a ST 200 a proper mondy not like the pretend one you have now lol.Then i can have your wheels off you.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Glenn.
its genuinely blagging my head. i know these cars pretty well, im no mechanic, or expert, but i always work out problems my self, but this, has got me scratching my head

FOOKING WHAT..............................You would be fooked with out me lol......

says the man who when i said, 'its moosing', said 'WTF is moosing ?', and also from the man who when i said 'my IMRC is knackered, im not getting the extra power over 3k revs', to which you replied, 'cant see it making any difference'

when it comes to fixing it, i agree, i would be lost without you, because as i said, im no mechanic, and you, are a very good one, but i stand by my statement, i know these cars/engines very well, and i work out the problems by myself
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

I think you should get a ST 200 a proper mondy not like the pretend one you have now lol.Then i can have your wheels off you.
i can, and have, pushed ST200's along the road with minimum fuss, and just FYI, mine is top of the range, i have everything an ST200 has, and more, i have cruise control, and my leather is electric, and heated, which the poverty spec 200 isnt. so which one is the proper one now
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

And you wouldnt buy my wheels anyway, you wont, and i quote, 'pay that for wheels'. stick to your council wheels mush
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the TPS fella? Try unplugging it on idle.....
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by BigErn
Have you checked the TPS fella? Try unplugging it on idle.....
did that aswel mate. ive got a spare ISCV, and even though, as i said, it still does it with the ISCV unplugged, so i cant see it being that, im gona fit my spare anyway
Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

says the man who when i said, 'its moosing', said 'WTF is moosing ?', and also from the man who when i said 'my IMRC is knackered, im not getting the extra power over 3k revs', to which you replied, 'cant see it making any difference'

when it comes to fixing it, i agree, i would be lost without you, because as i said, im no mechanic, and you, are a very good one, but i stand by my statement, i know these cars/engines very well, and i work out the problems by myself

Im no ford technican mate.If it was a fiat or a alfa or a toyota i would of no doubt told you what it was.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

And you wouldnt buy my wheels anyway, you wont, and i quote, 'pay that for wheels'. stick to your council wheels mush
I would pay 300 quid for them fella.

Have you not fixed it yet.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I ffffffooooookkkkkinnnng love you fiddy diddy doddy.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

I would pay 300 quid for them fella.

Have you not fixed it yet.
yeah, went and bought some winns shite that is for cleaning dodgy connections, bit like WD40. removed my TPS, cleaned that up, removed my MAF, cleaned that up, and cleaned the connections on my ISCV. rechecked all my pipes/hoses, removed and refitted them again, and the fucker was still doing it.

so spoke to the guy i know at ford, told him everything, he said, it could still be the ISCV, even though i tried it with the ISCV dissconnected. he went into some technical shite about even with it unplugged, the ECU will still run the engine as if it is plugged in, just it will use the last settings the ISCV sent to the ECU, so if the ISCV was shot, and was the reason it was ticking over at 3k revs, even unplugged, the engine would still tick over at 3k revs.

i thought bollocks, but ill give it it a try. cleaned up my spare ISCV, fitted it, now the cunt is running like a swiss watch, so evidently my ISCV was fucked, the guy at ford was bang on the money, and my opinion of him talking bollocks, was bang wide of the mark
Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Nice one mush i was just about to tell you to clean the throttle body out.

Werent you gonna change that valve before.You will hve to fix your washers and fog lights now.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Nice one mush i was just about to tell you to clean the throttle body out.

Werent you gonna change that valve before.You will hve to fix your washers and fog lights now.
i cleaned my spare throttle body out aswel, that was going to be next on my list to fit if my spare ISCV didnt suss it, but thankfully it did. so my spare throttle body is now sat back in my cupboard again, for when my current one fucks up, because no doubt it will at some point

at least ive got spares though, they always come in handy
Old 05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Glad it's sorted, there must be something else that was raising the revs though, as it must have been getting additional air from somewhere, that or the ISCV has something fancy.

Martin
Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Cant beat having spares ive got an attic full of them.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Glad it's sorted, there must be something else that was raising the revs though, as it must have been getting additional air from somewhere, that or the ISCV has something fancy.

Martin
I assume the ISCV was stuck open, was sending a false signal to the ECU, and that was allowing to much air into the engine.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

Isn't there some sort of electric box under the front engine cover that gets heat soaked and causes this?

A mate of mine had an ST24 (same engine i belive) and after a longish drive the car would hold itself a 3-4k in the end thats all it would do come hot or cold. It turned out to be the box thats under the front engine cover.

Im sure there was something in fast ford about it a couple of years back