General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tank Mike
Isn't there some sort of electric box under the front engine cover that gets heat soaked and causes this?

A mate of mine had an ST24 (same engine i belive) and after a longish drive the car would hold itself a 3-4k in the end thats all it would do come hot or cold. It turned out to be the box thats under the front engine cover.

Im sure there was something in fast ford about it a couple of years back
That is the IMRC (Inlet Manifold Runner Controller) mike, it opens the secondairies on the engine at around 3k revs, which gives it a noticible hike in power. the idea of it is, to increase MPG at low revs (under 3k), and give you more power over 3k revs.

They are renound for over heating, as ford chose a genius place to locate them, on top of the front rocker cover. they do not affect the running of the car in the slightest, all a broken IMRC will do, is not open the secondaries at 3k, so all you do, is loose the extra power you recieve at 3k revs, at full throttle.

the best way to avoid this, is relocate it to the battery tray, thats where mine is.

Last edited by Fiddy; 05-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.