General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dipped nearside light problems

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2010, 12:49 PM
stever333
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dipped nearside light problems

Hi,

Before I start, I should explain that I am a real newbie to car maintenance and whilst I've done a few small jobs on my first car since I bought it 18 months ago, I have no real mechanical experience.

I've been struggling over the last couple of months with dipped headlights on my Fiesta 1.4 Mk4. At present, I can't get the front nearside dipped light to work. I've changed bulbs (albeit with cheap ones), one seems to have blown, the other seems to be intact but just not working. Sidelights and Full beam are working fine, and I have checked the fuses to ensure that they haven't blown.

All OK, but I have noticed something which may be to blame, but can't be sure as I although I've googled, I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem or any pictures of how the nearside wiring should look.

The wiring that plugs into the back of the headlamp unit seems complete, but there appears to be a loose wire that runs along the right hand edge of the bonnet area. Oddly, it seems to be a brownish-orange colour with a thin yellow line where it is not attached to anything at the front of the vehicle, near to where the headlamp goes, but if I trace the wire back further up the right hand side, it's blue in colour.

I was wondering whether this may be an earth wire of some type which just needs reattaching to the bodywork.

If anyone can give me any clues or even post a picture of how things should be, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by stever333; 30-12-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Didn't mention what car I drive - d'oh
Old 30-12-2010, 02:02 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

sounds like a bad earth somewhere along the line fella, connect the wire that is loose it may be the earth wire

Luciano
Old 30-12-2010, 02:07 PM
stever333
Virgin

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I'm not too sure where I need to connect it to! Should I run it to the bodywork?
Old 30-12-2010, 02:14 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by stever333
Hi - thanks for the reply.

I'm not too sure where I need to connect it to! Should I run it to the bodywork?

yes mate self tap it to the inner wing somewhere

Luciano
Old 30-12-2010, 03:14 PM
stever333
Virgin

Done - The good news is that the headlight is now working, but the sidelight on the offside is now playing up!

However, as its now dark and I have no garage, that'll have to do for the moment!

Thanks for your help!