General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cosworth power steering ??

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2005, 06:42 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default cosworth power steering ??

Hi

Going to flush out my power stearing fluid for the 2nd time,

The fluid keep's going milky since i put a 4x4 bonnet on the sapph/coz
( I think it's because the louvre allows water to get into the reservour via the little slot by the breather nipple on the 2wd cap )

So I'm putting a new 4x4 bottle & cap on, because the cap was different to the 2wd, ( ie there is no slot & it's a screw on lid )

I'm probably talking crap but there must have been a reason that the 4x4 sapph hade a different cap & bottle.

O'yeah back to the Question?
Does any one now which hose on the tank is the flow & which is the return? because I'm going to take off the reservour & connect 5 ltr's of cheap fluid to the flow pipe & crank the engine over (in short birsts) with the coil negative lead disconnected, letting the waste fluid from the return pipe go into a container, and hope this will get rid of any moisture left in the system.

If any one has experienced the same problem, and think this will work please let me know.

I know this is all a bit long winded but literacy & letters are not my strong point.

(QUOTE)
Cant read or write in the day because i only went to night school
Old 29-01-2005, 07:16 PM
D7AKE
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read you post and I have had the exact same problem....... and did this fix this morning!!!

I have a 4wd vented bonnet but I broke the cap on mine and water sat in the top of the cap and got inside I have just swapped mine 4 a 4wd item... with a screw top

The best way to drain is to release the main hose the one to the front let it drain and then turn the steering from lock to lock a couple of times most will come out.

The return pipe is the smaller pipe behind

btw the fluid in mine was like a strawberry milkshake from maccy d's

Hope this helps

Si
Old 29-01-2005, 08:41 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have been told that you need to flush out the complete system to totally get rid of all the contaminated fluid & moisture, that's why I was going to do it from the hoses at the reservoir end.

I was not sure which hose at that end was the flow hose (correct me if I'm wrong I think it's the larger diameter pipe, "the curley one").