General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Frozen Fiesta!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xHayleyx
okay tomorrow im going to put heat lamps on it to defrost it, then flush it and do all of what is said above, cheers guys,
If it was me i'd just take off the bottom hose and leave it. Wouldnt fuck about with heat, if the block is frozen solid you wont really do a hell of a lot with lamps imo
Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM
rostill2007
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
It worked for me fella,just make sure you leave somewhere for it to go like the bottom rad hose removed.

already got the hose of to let it drain suprised it never pushed itself of to be honest jubilee clip had rotted off

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
If it was me i'd just take off the bottom hose and leave it. Wouldnt fuck about with heat, if the block is frozen solid you wont really do a hell of a lot with lamps imo

ill just wip the thermostat out aswell then and try running boiling water/antifreeze mixed into it from the header with the heat lamp on the go aswell to give sum extra encourangement. ill update on how this went, maybe something you would like to try on yours hayley easy to do aswell
Old 03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rostill2007
already got the hose of to let it drain suprised it never pushed itself of to be honest jubilee clip had rotted off

ill just wip the thermostat out aswell then and try running boiling water/antifreeze mixed into it from the header with the heat lamp on the go aswell to give sum extra encourangement. ill update on how this went, maybe something you would like to try on yours hayley easy to do aswell

Good work!!and well done on your exams as well!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 PM
rostill2007

thanks mate need to update the sig now though its two years old dont think ive had any other acheivements in that time worth putting in there though (real tears) lol
Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
mrviper
Advanced PassionFord User

my focus froze up and i left a hair dryer pointing at the water pump for an hour

i then let the engine tick over for 10 minuites swith off for 30 min then tick over 10 mins

did that a few times and the heat from the engine defrosted the radiator but took a couple of miles for the heater pipes to defrost
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
rs tingle

Originally Posted by xHayleyx
ohhh god shit! i have another engine but didnt intened on putting in just yet.. bollocks
these old fiesta engines are strong motors i had mine over the last winter with no antifrezze started an drove ok never had any problems block never cracked
Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by nealo
BAH i just done this in my focus, started it up to warm up i figured the garage that had it would have filled it with anitfreeze and it seems they havent because the pipes are frozen.. i smelt a burning smell so knocked the engine off straight away and went to investigate.. im just going to pray now that no long term damage has been done
If the block hasn't cracked then at worst you'll have damaged the water pump. It'll have frozen solid and the smell would have been from the auxilliary belt not being aboe to turn the water pump pulley.

Let it thaw out and see how it is.

Hayley, just get a blanket/old quilt/duvet over the top of the engine and shut the bonnet. Stick a fan heater or similar under the car and point it at the engine. Let it warm up and melt the ice then drain out as much as posssible once warm. Sorted.....
Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
bigkev
Part of the Furniture

if its in a garageput a fan heater in to help it thaw out
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
nealo
Focus WRC

Originally Posted by DazC
If the block hasn't cracked then at worst you'll have damaged the water pump. It'll have frozen solid and the smell would have been from the auxilliary belt not being aboe to turn the water pump pulley.

Let it thaw out and see how it is.

Hayley, just get a blanket/old quilt/duvet over the top of the engine and shut the bonnet. Stick a fan heater or similar under the car and point it at the engine. Let it warm up and melt the ice then drain out as much as posssible once warm. Sorted.....
Yeah well im hoping/praying that the pump was frozen solid and hasnt moved so theres no damage to the water pump, il try it midday today because the temp isnt as bad now all the snow/ice is actually melting.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

if it's a crossflow engine they have the water pump driven by the alternator/fan belt iirc don't they? if so, just remove the belt and start it up and it'll warm up no problem. but if you're not in a hurry just leave it to thaw with the bottom hose disconnected as already said.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
conor.rst

I made this mistake a long while ago and got some seriouse shit on here for it so count yourself lucky.

I how every did crank the engine over but no harm done.

I removed all my rad piping and connected a garden hose up to the hot water tap then ran it trough the rad and termo etc. worked well.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My god, do people really not have antifreeze in their bloody cars! Shame on some of you lot. You do realise even if it's not cold enough to freeze you'll still end up with a rusty shitty cooling system anyway.

I guess you all wait for the oil light to come on before checking the oil too
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

What i dont understand is why people dont run it all year round as it acts as a coolant aswell...So no need to worry as much when the cold arrive`s.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
nealo
Focus WRC

Panic over, checked mine made sure everything was ok turned it by hand was fine so fired it up and let it tick over for 20-30mins and everythings fine
Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
S1

Originally Posted by rsmat
What i dont understand is why people dont run it all year round as it acts as a coolant aswell...So no need to worry as much when the cold arrive`s.
When I drove around in shit old cars (not saying the fiesta in question is shit btw) I never bothered with antifreeze as it usually leaked out or got drained on a regular basis when i worked on it, never had a lot of cash so just filled up with water. I only had one car freeze up, that was a mini with a 1275 in it. It froze up solid, I loosened off the alt/water pump belt, poured loads of hot water over it and got it started, just ran it for a few minutes and shut it off then allowed the heat it generated to thaw it out. Took off all the hoses and made sure they were defrosted. It never suffered any permanent damage but i guess i was lucky.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by rsmat
I run it all year round, but, 'coolant' is actually worse at cooling than water, as water has a higher level of heat conductivity.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
if it's a crossflow engine they have the water pump driven by the alternator/fan belt iirc don't they? if so, just remove the belt and start it up and it'll warm up no problem.

thats exactly what i would do
Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Turbosimpsons

take your fan belt off. pour boiling water on the water pump till it spins freely put belt back on start up. job done, drain and leave empty or re-fillwill water/antifreeze.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i cracked missus pug 306 up and it goe not antifreeze in it,fucking looks like its popped a plug not loving it i drowned it in hot water 1st too,fucking cant believe i didnt check it got caught out by snow.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
xHayleyx

Originally Posted by jameswrx
My god, do people really not have antifreeze in their bloody cars! Shame on some of you lot. You do realise even if it's not cold enough to freeze you'll still end up with a rusty shitty cooling system anyway.

I guess you all wait for the oil light to come on before checking the oil too

i had old antifreeze in it ..

Last edited by xHayleyx; 06-12-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 AM
DazS1Turbo

My Golf's frozen today just rad and pipes i hope

Drove the bugger to work - water pump is ok i think but it's over heating now think due to radiator being blocked solid

We'll see

My own fault for not checking it had anti freeze in
Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 AM
the mk1 kid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hayley is there not a garage you can 'borrow' for a day or two until it thaws out?

Can you see if any core plugs have popped out?

Tom