General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

House buyers!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default House buyers!!

When buying a house, how cheeky where you when you made a offer on a property?

Would i be taking the piss if i went in at 20k under

seen a place for 200k but id rather pay 180/190 lol
Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

id go in even less lol
what have you got to lose?
i know some1 who will go in really low, say 50k under that price, and up it bit by bit till they say yes, then know em down more later down the line. lol

and before you say its out of order, its not, they can turn his offer down anytime.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid 10k under he asking price on my first house, and then sold it a few years later for double what i paid for it
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Its the cuntish estate agent that will get in the way.

He will tell you the offer was not accepted, and probably hasn't even passed it on. He is happy to wait a while, so he makes higher commission.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it! They can only say no!

I made my offer to the owner and she accepted about 15% less than the asking price on agreed terms [ie. if the survey showed up anything less than major, there's no more negotiation]. Best to do it with them because as said above, the Estate agent is probably working more in the vendor's favour than yours!

I made the offer to the woman on a Saturday evening, went in on the Monday to the Estate Agent and he said he'd had higher offers blah blah but the lady wanted us to have the place. I thought it was a load of bullshit but whilst we were signing the offer, he went to get us a drink and I looked through the folder. They DID have an offer £10k more than ours

I know that sounds like a long winded story but it kinds of sings "deal with the vendor" if you can!!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
stucos71
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can only say "no", GO FOR IT.
If they have already signed deeds to a new place, you got the upper hand. A bridging loan is the last thing they will want, if they can even get one.

I went 10k below the fixed asking price, got knocked back. Just kept adding a bit and still got it for 6k below market value.
They needed the sale, as they already signed on the dotted line for a new house.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
jerri
BANNED
BANNED

make any offer you like within reason obviously! can only say no.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

or you could try what i did..which was view the house through the estate agents, then went back to the house on the night and spoke to the seller direct..i bid her and said to not go through the agent to save her commision costs..im sure the thought of her saving on the commision costs swung if for me and saved me on the price of the house..i just told the mortgage advisor the score and he sorted it all out for me, including dealing with most of the solicitors crap

beaten to it as above
Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 PM
stucos71
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by dangerousbrian
or you could try what i did..which was view the house through the estate agents, then went back to the house on the night and spoke to the seller direct..i bid her and said to not go through the agent to save her commision costs..im sure the thought of her saving on the commision costs swung if for me and saved me on the price of the house..i just told the mortgage advisor the score and he sorted it all out for me, including dealing with most of the solicitors crap
x2
Deffo helps swing the deal in most cases.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

as has been said the issue will be the agent. My mate made an offer on a £120k house of £100k, agent laughed and said 'you'll never get that house for £100k'

The agent comes back and say 'sorry, £115k is the lowest'

So my mate calls round the blokes house and asks if he could have a chat about the offer he made...'what offer' replies the guy!! Between them they settled on £102k, the agent called my mate ranting until it was pointed out that he had not put the offer forward, he then shut up.

Try and meet the seller (evening viewings will give you more chance). Chat to them and find out...

when they bought it - was it alot cheaper back then? maybe have £££ profit so more open to lower figures for a quick sale?
where are they moving to? are they in a chain or desperate to move? if so, maybe they are more willing to take a lower figure from a deffo sale?
Are you in a position to move in (not in a chain and mortgage in place?) let them know, you will be a better option than someone offering a few grand more but that are a bit flakey deal wise or are stuck in a chain etc.

Finally, being friendly and instilling confidence in them that you are genuine will mean they are more likely to want to sell to you. An offer on the spot may by a bit awkward, see how it goes, but if the offer is made to the agent and you get a refusal, may be worth a call round again to see if the offer reached them.

My first house i paid £135k on a £140k house as I wanted it and went in at my max and got it.

My second place was £115k reduced to £105k and I got it for £90k which was a bargain lol!!

If you dont ask you dont get, that said, dont be gutted if the first offer really is turned down, just keep haggling.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
stucos71
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by matts1
Are you in a position to move in (not in a chain and mortgage in place?) let them know, you will be a better option than someone offering a few grand more but that are a bit flakey deal wise or are stuck in a chain etc.
Thats what swung my deal above.
My ex bought me out so i had no house to sell, and could sign the deal that week.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Some good advice there thanks

iv not seen the house inside myself yet' but the mrs has and likes it, and iv a good idea i will too as you can see the garage is a good size and has a good floor plan with good size rooms. the seller dose not live there, as i think it was a relative's house who has passed away.. apparently his eyes lit up as my mrs said we are first time buyers lol

he has had people interested but they need to sell first, that has been going on for weeks now!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Before i bought my house it was up for 120.000. so all my mates used to pot the windows every weekend and the owner slowly started bringing the price down then i finally put in a offer off 91.000 and he accepted.

Last edited by Rsmat; 01-12-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Always knock at least 10% off mate.

Ours was up for £146,000, we got it in the end for £138,000
Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmat
Before i bought my house it was up for 120.000. so i got al my mates to pot the windows every weekend and the owner slowly started bringing the price down then i finally put in a offer off 91.000 and he accepted.

you what ?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by pee vee

you what ?
as it says!!!

my house was originally for sale for a year..before i noticed it..and my mates used to pot the windows on it every week after the came out of the pub on there way home...so when i enquired the house was up for 120.000 after another 4 months i offered 91.000 and he accepted.

is that more clear for you???
Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well got a viewing on sat so lets see what happens lol
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pee vee

you what ?

Why the face? thats normal on mat's estate
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

as it says!!!

my house was originally for sale for a year..before i noticed it..and my mates used to pot the windows on it every week after the came out of the pub on there way home...so when i enquired the house was up for 120.000 after another 4 months i offered 91.000 and he accepted.

is that more clear for you???
Would you like someone to do that to your car every week when you was selling it?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by Roosie
Would you like someone to do that to your car every week when you was selling it?
Id like to see them try mate!!...i never condoned or asked my mate`s to do what they did for ages i just took a fancy to the house 1 day on leave and made a offer on it and got it...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by dangerousbrian

beaten to it as above
You will find the seller is bound by cntract to sell through the agent whether you go through them or not.
The seller will be faced with legal action if you did this so I think it's not quite hat easy. Don't you think everyone would do this if it was that easy???
Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m3cosworth
You will find the seller is bound by cntract to sell through the agent whether you go through them or not.
The seller will be faced with legal action if you did this so I think it's not quite hat easy. Don't you think everyone would do this if it was that easy???
I'm not convinced on this, however the estate agent is entitled to the money from a buyer they introduce to the seller.

HOWEVER

It is illegal for an estate agent to not pass on an offer. They MUST pass all offers on to the vendor.

So in at least one of the cases the estate agent is breaking the law in the first place.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Roosie
Exactly my thoughts!! That's low Matt! That's plain and simple extortion of some due out of £30k! Just cos you're a bit 'tasty' you can't go round taking everything you want!

And for the people saying shaft the agent why do that? If an agent hadn't marketed the property then you'd never have found it, they've provided a service which they should be paid for. I work in recruitment and get masively pissed off when a company goes behind my back and takes on someone I've introduced that they'd never have found otherwise without paying the finders fee. The bonus in recruitment is that everyone we find (and we do ) out TOB mean that we can bang in a fee much greater than if they'd played ball in the first place - don't think estate agents can do that .
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigchez
Exactly my thoughts!! That's low Matt! That's plain and simple extortion of some due out of £30k! Just cos you're a bit 'tasty' you can't go round taking everything you want!

And for the people saying shaft the agent why do that? If an agent hadn't marketed the property then you'd never have found it, they've provided a service which they should be paid for. I work in recruitment and get masively pissed off when a company goes behind my back and takes on someone I've introduced that they'd never have found otherwise without paying the finders fee. The bonus in recruitment is that everyone we find (and we do ) out TOB mean that we can bang in a fee much greater than if they'd played ball in the first place - don't think estate agents can do that .
Yes but although recruitment agents are annoying as such you're not lying tossers like estate agents...

Until I had to actually deal with them I didn't understand the bad press they get - after buying a house... TOSSERS
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Rsmat
300+

CHEZ it was getting vandalised before i even set eye`s on it.

would you pay 120.000 asking price?? think not mate....so i didnt..

maybe i worded the all thing wrong and in a bad contex but atleats i put a offer in and he accepted when he didnt have to.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Shings
Yes but although recruitment agents are annoying as such you're not lying tossers like estate agents...

Until I had to actually deal with them I didn't understand the bad press they get - after buying a house... TOSSERS
We're a necessary evil - a pure function of capitalism. Whilst I'm well aware that rec consutants are not universally appreciated I'd guarantee you or anyone else would be pleased if one of us got you a sizeable payrise and/or significantly improved career prospects, in the same way we'd be happy with 25-35% of your first year's salary and bonus .

Either way, bricking some dude's windows every week to get a discount on his house is just not cricket! You wouldn't crash someone's car on a test drive in order to get a discounted purchase price!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

think it was just badly worded as in 'so my mates...' so came across as being done on purpose.

I found the agents pretty handy when we bought our places, handy to speak to as a go between to see what was going on and helped push things along and prevent either side dragging heals.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Rsmat
300+

We're a necessary evil - a pure function of capitalism. Whilst I'm well aware that rec consutants are not universally appreciated I'd guarantee you or anyone else would be pleased if one of us got you a sizeable payrise and/or significantly improved career prospects, in the same way we'd be happy with 25-35% of your first year's salary and bonus .

Either way, bricking some dude's windows every week to get a discount on his house is just not cricket! You wouldn't crash someone's car on a test drive in order to get a discounted purchase price!
CHEZ can you fucking read what ive just put mate!!! i never asked someone to do somthing so id get a discount it was allready happening before i bought....but who give`s a fuck anyway i got my house cheap.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

CHEZ it was getting vandalised before i even set eye`s on it.

would you pay 120.000 asking price?? think not mate....so i didnt..

maybe i worded the all thing wrong and in a bad contex but atleats i put a offer in and he accepted when he didnt have to.
Fair enough if it's getting smashed it's getting smashed, I just didn't read like that - perhaps took it wrong but it came across like it was an "accident".
Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

as long as there is a board outside you can go andknock on the door

what have you to lose?

the agents tend to be cunts anyway and they were fucking me about when i bought my house until it told them that they had a week to sort it or i was fucking off

they'd been giving me the old "we've got several other intrested parties" and bullshit so i used that against them and they shat themselves and that was when they could afford to bump up the price, nowadays it's a buyers market
Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Rsmat
300+

Fair enough if it's getting smashed it's getting smashed, I just didn't read like that - perhaps took it wrong but it came across like it was an "accident".
yes i have worded it wrong flower sorry...
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm also kinda guessing i should be looking at a two year tracker deal?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Estate agents,as a whole are complete CUNTS!play one off against the other,tell you one thing,the vendor something else and half the time the cunts live in the shittiest parts of town yet try to tell you your properties worth fuck all while they rent a shitbox flat somewhere.

My mate,who's now at HMP had an agent phone him the minute a property came up cheap who would tell him the ins and outs of the sale as long as he dropped them a little brown envelope now and again,their just fucking vermin and luckily since the demise of the property Market a lot of them had to go back to the high powered world of "would you like fries with that?".

But I digress!

Mat,your fucking awesome,I'll know what to do know if I see a property I fancy now lol!!

Doug,offer what you want mate,I offered £35k below Market price in 2007 when the boom was at it's max as I knew they were desperate to sell,because the vermin agent told me,I didn't know them from Adam but my house was sold and they obviously wanted this one off the books!!

As has been said above,approach the vendor direct if you can,post a letter through or ask neighbours how to contact them and explain that your interested but it's a bit out of your budget,worst they can say is no.if it's a sale after a persons deceased then often the money gets divided between several people,if you offer say £20k less,between 4 people it's only £5k each for a quick sale,many people would go for that.

It's a buyers Market right now mate and your in a great position to make a deal fella.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by miller3
I'm also kinda guessing i should be looking at a two year tracker deal?
As long as you get a good rate even a fixed deal is worth looking at sobdont just ignore them outright
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We're a necessary evil - a pure function of capitalism. Whilst I'm well aware that rec consutants are not universally appreciated I'd guarantee you or anyone else would be pleased if one of us got you a sizeable payrise and/or significantly improved career prospects, in the same way we'd be happy with 25-35% of your first year's salary and bonus
I'd say your about two levels up from estate agents,not you personally,but your industry as a whole.

I've been dealing with these agencies a lot lately and as a whole they are fucking useless,everytime I ring up it's,um what's your name again?the same name I just FUCKING TOLD YOU!!!

25-30% sounds reasonable,but some by us are nearly 50% which is a fucking piss take IMO,although in your defence you do get some proper fucktards through your door!!

By us,the steelworks is one of the best paid employer at the moment and you need to go through an agency called acorn,not the best.

Anyway,fortnight ago after a few phonecalls I managed to get an interview with the main man.myself and one other are there,both suited up,all our paperwork available,both with masses of industrial experience so all is good.

Some musher comes in (that's a Swansea word for Chav),tracksuit tucked into his socks,rollie behind his ear,scruffy as fuck,no paperwork."I've comes for a job in corus mush,I can starts tomorrow as I've herds it's easy and the moneys good butt".

Hope he's in my start group!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
As long as you get a good rate even a fixed deal is worth looking at sobdont just ignore them outright
+1
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 AM
m3cosworth
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Shings
I'm not convinced on this, however the estate agent is entitled to the money from a buyer they introduce to the seller.

HOWEVER

It is illegal for an estate agent to not pass on an offer. They MUST pass all offers on to the vendor.

So in at least one of the cases the estate agent is breaking the law in the first place.
I'm pretty sure what I said is correct. It's the seller who pays the agent from the sale. Even if you took the property away from the agent and sold it the next day the agent is legallly entitled if your still in contract with them. They normally have a minimal time length for the contract.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Just bought a new house two days ago and sold my own on the same day.
Managed to get the new one £14k under valuation, and £41k LESS than the current occupant paid for it just over two years ago.
Anyway, what I did was speak directly to the owner, not the solicitor, this saves bags of time fucking around only to find out that they either A need the money, or B totally unwilling to come down in price because they don't need to sell.
We offered for the house in person, got rejected, knowing that it had been on the market for a while, and also said that we would have to go back to our buyers and negotiate a higher price in order to be able to increase our offer (white lie).
Then we called to say we couldn't get anymore money and respectfully had to look elsewhere, got a call back a bit later accepting the first offer, job done, house bought!
Trick is to stick to your guns and be friendly, have a plan and stick to it, and if it doesn't happen then remember there will always be others!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rog
Just bought a new house two days ago and sold my own on the same day.
Managed to get the new one £14k under valuation, and £41k LESS than the current occupant paid for it just over two years ago.
Anyway, what I did was speak directly to the owner, not the solicitor, this saves bags of time fucking around only to find out that they either A need the money, or B totally unwilling to come down in price because they don't need to sell.
We offered for the house in person, got rejected, knowing that it had been on the market for a while, and also said that we would have to go back to our buyers and negotiate a higher price in order to be able to increase our offer (white lie).
Then we called to say we couldn't get anymore money and respectfully had to look elsewhere, got a call back a bit later accepting the first offer, job done, house bought!
Trick is to stick to your guns and be friendly, have a plan and stick to it, and if it doesn't happen then remember there will always be others!

Great advice.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by m3cosworth
I'm pretty sure what I said is correct. It's the seller who pays the agent from the sale. Even if you took the property away from the agent and sold it the next day the agent is legallly entitled if your still in contract with them. They normally have a minimal time length for the contract.
I'd agree with this,your entering into a legal contract and I'm pretty sure most decent agents would have that clause in their paperwork,as stated they usually have a certain time period where your tied into them as they'll argue they've done the groundwork,which is fair enough.

Always agree a set fee with the agent rather than a percentage,makes them be a bit more honest with the seller then as they know if it gets dropped they're not losing out on commission and tend to pass on everything to the seller then.

Their still generally vermin though!!!!

Quick Reply: House buyers!!