General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Time for a good tech thread for once! Twin charging...

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2010, 11:31 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
And room for a better engine, I do love the old A series as its what I cut my teeth tuning 15 years or so ago but ultimately its just not up to the sort of power levels I like these days, particuarly the drop gears and gearbox.

Mini's are still my favourite car, but its all about having one with a modern multivalve engine these days I reckon!
+1 get the biggest engine you can, then turbo that
Old 24-11-2010, 11:55 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
And room for a better engine, I do love the old A series as its what I cut my teeth tuning 15 years or so ago but ultimately its just not up to the sort of power levels I like these days, particuarly the drop gears and gearbox.

Mini's are still my favourite car, but its all about having one with a modern multivalve engine these days I reckon!
I agree in many respects. But IMO, lose the A-Series, and it isnt a Mini anymore.

Making power isnt the issue. But yes the gearboxes etc are crap. Although I never once had an issue with helical drop gears. That was lots of abuse, and moderate boost.
And raked the shite out of it every single day.

Went through a lot of gearboxes and diffs/clutches and head gaskets etc though
Old 24-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I agree in many respects. But IMO, lose the A-Series, and it isnt a Mini anymore.

Making power isnt the issue. But yes the gearboxes etc are crap. Although I never once had an issue with helical drop gears. That was lots of abuse, and moderate boost.
And raked the shite out of it every single day.

Went through a lot of gearboxes and diffs/clutches and head gaskets etc though
We found the life of the helical drop gears go down greatly when you get over about 110lbft or so, and straight cuts are really unpleasant on a road car.

That said, I would happily have a 100bhp A Series mini as a nippy little aroudn town run about and would thoroughly enjoy taking the b-road way home still, you dont actually need 1000bhp to have fun

Damn it, im wanting another mini now.
Got my ex mrs old 998 sat at a mates farm and Ive got a 500 mile old 286 cammed 1380 sat in one of my garages, maybe I should bring the two together at some point when im not working away from home all the time
Old 24-11-2010, 12:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

I ran for around 100k on std drops before I stopped driving it. Serious abuse, and usually over 20psi boost

Rather more than 110lbft I imagine.

Did go through multiple A+ gear sets, casings, diffs, clutches, and even broke a couple of straight cut gears.

Std drops never gave any problems though.

I do want one again, and will build a Van. My old Mini is a massive pile of rust at the back of the house now !!
Old 24-11-2010, 12:46 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Isnt the gearbox living in the engine oil on a mini
Old 26-02-2011, 02:48 AM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

Yeah its in the sump. Daft idea, nice and compact though.

Back on the subject of compound charging, something i noticed whilst reading about boost pressures.

The tractor pullers may well make 'only' 60psi or whataver, but surely their chargers will be so large that they'll flow more air than a large turbo at 60psi. Working on the whole 'bigger turbo makes more power at same boost' theory.

I did wonder about twin charging after seeing a video of an old muscle car with two roots blowers stacked on top of eachother. it was about 8ft tall but looked brilliant. I wondered if there were any benefits over a large single blower as most blowers seem to give about 30psi max, does this mean that the second blower is pumping 60psi in theory or is it not able to compress the already 30psi intake charge further?

a piston type pump would be easier to work out, since most forms of forced induction i can think of dont used sealed chambers to compress the air its more confusing to me.

does the air not go 'stale' between the screws as they havent got the tolerences tight enough to squeeze more air in the plenham?
Old 26-02-2011, 07:43 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Guessing you mean this one?
Old 26-02-2011, 11:26 PM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

It could be. Not entirely sure as YouTube video wasn't fantastic quality walkaround.

Ridiculous.
Old 27-02-2011, 01:31 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Some more info on the Nissa March SuperTurbo, ugly looking turd aint it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8f2n...1&feature=fvwp