General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Who rides motorbikes??

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2010, 08:27 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt go for a 400 mate. Go for the 600 out of the two. You WILL get bored of a 400 pretty quickly. Id go for a gixxer 600 out of all the jap bikes. In fact, go for a gixxer 750 if you can. The perfect balance in my opinion. Heres a couple of pics of my 750......

Old 22-11-2010, 08:44 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

I like that gsxr a lot. K8?

Have you done all the work yourself?
Old 22-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

I've not long got rid of a gsxr 750 srad, absolutely battered my wrists if i rode more than 50 - 60 miles
Strangley though, ive been using my mates 94 gixer 1100 wp and not only is it silly quick (compared to what ive ridden!) its really comfy and it cost Ł800!
400 might be ok for short tracks, but you'll quickly get bored of it on the road, ZX6r's are had for reasonable money at the mo?
Old 22-11-2010, 11:33 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will get bored of the top end speed on a 400 but tbh i'd rather be on the twisties on a 400 then the straights on a thou.
Old 22-11-2010, 11:40 PM
turbochild
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering this atm just not done my test yet so need to price that too!!

Old 22-11-2010, 11:46 PM
turbochild

The other thing that puts me off is dressing up like a power ranger but honestly is leather gonna save you coming off at speed hmmmm
Old 23-11-2010, 12:02 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by turbochild

k
Old 23-11-2010, 12:05 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The other thing that puts me off is dressing up like a power ranger but honestly is leather gonna save you coming off at speed hmmmm
if you hit something it probably wont, but sliding down the road it will save your skin at least. I use scratchers jeans tbh. I fucking hate leathers but the jeans fit most decent textile jackets.
Old 23-11-2010, 12:14 AM
turbochild

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
if you hit something it probably wont, but sliding down the road it will save your skin at least. I use scratchers jeans tbh. I fucking hate leathers but the jeans fit most decent textile jackets.
I totally get the purpose of them but hate the idea of them and can't imagine them been comfortable.

As for the bike the guy wants Ł900 for it, it's on an S plate with 18000 miles on it looks tidy enough i've always wanted a bike just never got round to getting one for the road had field bikes etc. I don't wanna do the moped or 125 thing though would rather do my test and be done my mate reckons i'd do my test on a 600 i don't plan to go crazy on it but don't wanna get bored really quickly either.

Last edited by turbochild; 23-11-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 23-11-2010, 12:26 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I totally get the purpose of them but hate the idea of them and can't imagine them been comfortable.

As for the bike the guy wants Ł900 for it, it's on an S plate with 18000 miles on it looks tidy enough i've always wanted a bike just never got round to getting one for the road had field bikes etc. I don't wanna do the moped or 125 thing though would rather do my test and be done my mate reckons i'd do my test on a 600 i don't plan to go crazy on it but don't wanna get bored really quickly either.
Srad's are fucking heavy slow turning bikes tbh, but starting off there mint. If you get something like a new r6 that are flighty as fuck it might be too much just setting out. Cheap so you dont mind too much if you drop it and enough to play with. Have a look at sketchers jeans mate, there just combats but strong as fuck.
Old 23-11-2010, 12:58 AM
turbochild

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
Srad's are fucking heavy slow turning bikes tbh, but starting off there mint. If you get something like a new r6 that are flighty as fuck it might be too much just setting out. Cheap so you dont mind too much if you drop it and enough to play with. Have a look at sketchers jeans mate, there just combats but strong as fuck.
I'll look into the sketchers as i really don't wanna look like a power ranger tbh as daft as it sounds i just want the bike to blast about on for next summer to see if i like it or not preferably i'd like to keep it for 2 years if possible just for something to get experience on and as my confidence grows the bike won't bore me like a 1.1 fiesta would for example.
Old 23-11-2010, 04:31 AM
bigryrs
RSHoleinator

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I ride milfs and a pushbike if my car breaks down!
Old 23-11-2010, 05:53 AM
fish99

I only passed my test in September and it was about Ł550 for both mod 1 and 2. Obviously thats taking into account that you have already passed the theory test.

I have a CBR600FX at the mo and its a cracking bike. Certainly better than my old XT125. Plenty of power, very forgiving and reliable as old boots. Just what a rider needs to " LEARN " to ride on once they have passed the test.
Old 23-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SRAD's are ugly mo-fo's. Get a newer one which at least looks half decent.
Old 23-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you hit say a car at an impact speed of say 50mph then no matter what you wear or dont wear its gonna hurt,
If you slide down the road on your ass then leather has a better chance of saving your skin than a pair of trackie bottoms or normal jeans,
Same with boots, a good pair of proper fitting boots with the supports are gonna go a better job of saving your ankles than your favorite Nike Airs.
Old 23-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Srads are ugly BUT they go round corners well and are cheap now so an ideal choice for a first bike if you aint got much money.
Old 23-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Srads are ugly BUT they go round corners well and are cheap now so an ideal choice for a first bike if you aint got much money.

I have ridden one and as far as older bikes go I guess they are ok. I can't stand that rear end though

We must be talking Ł1500 tops for one?!

My mate got a P plate CBR6 as his first bike and that he's going to ride through this winter. It was Ł900

I'd pick that cbr over an srad
Old 23-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Steel frame cbr's are alright i suppose. The thing is with all older bikes there shite in comparison to new stuff. I manage to have fun on my srad and found it funny that my mate on a k8 gsxr 750 couldnt get anywhere near me lol

Heres mine

Last edited by Alps Pacino; 23-11-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 23-11-2010, 10:04 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd pick that cbr over an srad
are you insane? Srad over the f every day of the week
Old 23-11-2010, 10:49 AM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

You can get kits to move the pegs where you want to make it more cumfy.

cheap and easy to fit
Old 23-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by B16JUS
You can get kits to move the pegs where you want to make it more cumfy.

cheap and easy to fit
Thats all well and goiod apart from these pegs wont make his feet touch the ground when he stops lol
Old 23-11-2010, 01:01 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i started with a gsxr400rr sp then progressed to

a R6

and now got my
R1
Old 23-11-2010, 04:47 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

SRADS are awesome bikes, they were the next "big" step after the Fireblade (well the 750 was, 600's are still cool as though!).
Old 23-11-2010, 04:48 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get a GSXR GSXR GSXR mate.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 23-11-2010, 05:28 PM
turbochild

Can't jusify the money for out fancy Chop it would mean getting into debt otherwise. I would only get to use it going to work and when the little one is at school or away for the day it's just one of them things i've always wanted to do
Old 23-11-2010, 05:56 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

SRAD is a lovely looking bike IMO,haven't heard too many bad things said about them.

Out of interest the guy I bought my fzr off only sold it to get an r6.I had it cheap as he'd tried botching the exhaust which I replaced with a stainless item and boy what a difference!!

He'd lowered the gearing on my bike before I had it and up to about a ton it held the r6 no probs,but after that or on a bend I was dead meat really!!!

What I'm getting it is there's loads of mods you can do to improve a 600 for little money that will make it better to ride,more responsive etc.

Put it this way,for the first year at least the SRAD will be far more capable than you if you get what I mean?
Old 23-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Can't jusify the money for out fancy Chop it would mean getting into debt otherwise. I would only get to use it going to work and when the little one is at school or away for the day it's just one of them things i've always wanted to do

Fair do's mate. It's hard not to enjoy biking.

Whats the budget? See if anyone can help you find something nice
Old 23-11-2010, 06:50 PM
3drzetec
PassionFord Regular

im 5'9 and my last 3 bikes were fireblades. fitted nicely. so you shouldn't have a problem with most bikes. as for a first bike wat you get dosnt matter as long as youv'e got a sensible head on you.other wise stick to a 125.
Old 23-11-2010, 07:46 PM
turbochild

Fair do's mate. It's hard not to enjoy biking.

Whats the budget? See if anyone can help you find something nice
I'm thinking about a grand but i'm gonna try get a bike either just before christmas or just after when people may need the money most i aint in a major rush though as i need to do my test. I wouldn't use the bike till the summer anyway but will no doubt get a better deal now i'm thinking
Old 23-11-2010, 07:53 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SRAD's are cool as fuck
Old 23-11-2010, 08:06 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

properly fitting leathers are not in the least bit uncomfortable, but you have to spend a few quid to get good ones.

if you are on a budget, wait to get your gear at the BMF shows at the beginning and end of season. i got 2 brand new HJC helmets for Ł20 last year for my C90. i also bought my arai and schuberths there for much less than in the shops, as well as my arlen ness leathers, TCX boots and Alpinestars gloves.
Old 23-11-2010, 08:06 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AJC
I like that gsxr a lot. K8?

Have you done all the work yourself?
Yes mate, ive done all the work myself and fitted it all myself too. Was a pain on the arse though i must admit, but worth it in the end.

Regarding looking like a power ranger, well of you want a sports bike, (or anything other than a moped), then looking like a power ranger is part of it. The armoured kevlar jeans can be good, but offer nowhere near the protection of full leathers! I had an accident this year that could have been 100 times worse, and if i didnt have all the right gear on, it would have been really nasty! My ankle is still not right now and thats with decent boots on so i dread to think what it would have done without them. If i didnt have leathers on, well in dread to think how my skin would have looked! You cannot put a price on your skin and body mate, so buy the besat you can afford, and if you cant afford the right protection, or are worried about what youll look like, then i seriously wouldnt bother with biking at all mate.

Just take it steady whatever bike you decide to buy mate, and ALWAYS wear the proper gear.
Old 23-11-2010, 08:11 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
properly fitting leathers are not in the least bit uncomfortable, but you have to spend a few quid to get good ones.

if you are on a budget, wait to get your gear at the BMF shows at the beginning and end of season. i got 2 brand new HJC helmets for Ł20 last year for my C90. i also bought my arai and schuberths there for much less than in the shops, as well as my arlen ness leathers, TCX boots and Alpinestars gloves.
Good advice, and was just about to say the same. You can save an absolute fortune at the BMF shows.

You HAVE to get the right gear mate. Not only will you look silly if you dont, but you have to make sure you do everythin you can to protect yourself. if your on a budget, Ł400 ish will get you all the decent gear youll need from the BMF. Oh, and dont forget a good back protector too.
Old 23-11-2010, 08:20 PM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

I'd love to get into bikes, but I've pretty much convinced myself that if I ever bought a bike I'd DEFINITELY be killed, either by a moron motorist or my own stupidity, and love of speed. Would this be a fair assumption? ie can you ride a bike (at times) like a hooligan and live to tell the tale?
Old 23-11-2010, 08:25 PM
lewis.philcox
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by GTi-R23
I'd love to get into bikes, but I've pretty much convinced myself that if I ever bought a bike I'd DEFINITELY be killed, either by a moron motorist or my own stupidity, and love of speed. Would this be a fair assumption? ie can you ride a bike (at times) like a hooligan and live to tell the tale?
yes yes you can! ive had days where chases used to happen and they never got close enough to get my plate lol
Old 23-11-2010, 08:54 PM
JPA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

here's one of my 1st bike , you can get 600 version , thundercart which were quite low from what i recall

could easy get one within your budget and its basicly same engine as r6

Old 23-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

It could have been any one of a million biker-wannabe's posting that comment so don't take this personally. You all say it!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH IT'S MY LEAST FAVOURITE SAYING ABOUT BIKING... EVER!

People seem to forget that we all have built in self preservation mode. People have no idea how quick bikes are or how quickly you can shit yourself. You can't just ride balls to the wall everywhere unless you're Mr Rossi on track. I don't care if Mr Billy Big Balls the next rider says you can because it's not possible.

IMO it's be extremely hard to die while just riding gung-ho everywhere.

I've probably not expressed this in the right way but sorry, the "I'll kill myself on a bike" quote bothers me.

It's usually said by people as an excuse for not actually getting a license.

Originally Posted by ja-rs16i
here's one of my 1st bike , you can get 600 version , thundercart which were quite low from what i recall

could easy get one within your budget and its basicly same engine as r6

Thundercart -I'm not sure if you deliberately spelt it like that or whatever but it made me laugh. It's 'Thundercat'.

Basically the same engine? Yeah it's a Yamaha 600 cc
Old 23-11-2010, 09:29 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is my srad

only thing i dont like is thehuge rear end, but its an old bike

the mods its getting which are all direct replacements is

2004 rear swing arm, wheel, brakes and shock
2006 upside down front forks
srad 750 tripples and yokes
r1 radial calipers

frame is going black and so are the wheels

also will be have a k3 rear tail conversion with a honda rear light (carnt remember what model at the min)

also thinking of going k5 fairings but will see once i start building teh bike back up, but it should handle and stop a lot better when ive finished, even though it handles well at the min, for a 1st bike theregreat as there cheap, so if you do come off your not going to lose a lot and its cheap to repair
Old 23-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Safest bet is to get a retro syle bike with no fairing, you still get the buzz of acceleration, but don't tend to ride loony for too long as the wind makes it a PITA!

I traded down from a 209rwhp sports bike to an XJR1300 that only makes just over 120rwhp and still manage to have fun. With luck I will live long enough to see my kids grow up riding the retro

Mark
Old 23-11-2010, 09:35 PM
JPA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thundercart -I'm not sure if you deliberately spelt it like that or whatever but it made me laugh. It's 'Thundercat'.

Basically the same engine? Yeah it's a Yamaha 600 cc

no it was defo thundercart lol

Quick Reply: Who rides motorbikes??