General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any P38 or BMW diesel experts?

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2010, 07:08 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any P38 or BMW diesel experts?

i have bought a p38 2.5 dse auto and ever since i've had it it's got a problem, typicaly worse when cold (but can play up when hot aswell) but if i pull away then back off the throttle the injector warning comes on and theres a loss of power, sometimes for only a few seconds other times i have to plant my foot down and wait for it to change gear and slowly accelerate again until it clears.

i've drained off the fuel filter, fuel looks nice and clean, all new filters. errrr any ideas? i've tried and serched the few land rover forums i'm on but although it seems a problem others have had, people seem to guess at high pressure pump but no-one has the balls to go for it due to the cost.

people also seem to speculate, map senser causes this, and coolant temp, fuel temp, inlet air temp, low pressure pump, stretched chain, faulty injectors, bad earth, alternator or maybe pcm. it seems no-one knows. hence my post here cos pf.com IS the fountain of all knowledge! (and it is a bmw engine afterall )

another thing is general concensious is these are slow as fuck, now mine isn't you can hear the turbo whistle and when it comes on boost it really does go well. while i have no info to confirm it has been remapped, some suggest my problem can be caused however by a remap. excess boost & fuel thus causing a engine light to come on? any views?

Last edited by James; 16-11-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 16-11-2010, 07:14 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it flag up any fault codes?
Old 16-11-2010, 07:23 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not had it checked for fault codes yet.
Old 16-11-2010, 07:35 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My merc does something similar but no em light.I know what mine is,I've got a dodgy injector.the seats go on them and need to be recut and new washers fitted BUT often the injectors get damaged when they come out and at Ł200 a throw it's going to cost up to a grand!!

I got lucky but the boy that was doing it said one was borderline and I now think it's finally gone.

My ml makes a noise like Thomas the tank engine on idle and leaks a very small amount of diesel which over time tars up a bit hence mine needing to be done again.

I know there's a hot start problem on that engine but I've never heard of running probs?
Old 16-11-2010, 07:48 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by James
not had it checked for fault codes yet.
Would suggest it may be a way to narrow down your options. You're pissing in the wind otherwise!