General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Toy Pig Removed For 'Religous' Reasons

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Toy Pig Removed For 'Religous' Reasons

Following on from the Sikh dagger thread. if Sikh kids can take a dagger to school for 'religious' reasons. should'nt a toy farm set be allowed to have a toy pig included in it, for the majority of 'religions' that are not 'offended' ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...h-pig-ban.html
Old 16-11-2010, 10:10 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how rediculous!!!!
Old 16-11-2010, 10:18 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Following on from the Sikh dagger thread. if Sikh kids can take a dagger to school for 'religious' reasons. should'nt a toy farm set be allowed to have a toy pig included in it, for the majority of 'religions' that are not 'offended' ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...h-pig-ban.html
This isn't a case of it not being "allowed" by some sort of higher authority though.

This is white English (probably Christian) people being offended on someone else's behalf, without actually checking to see if they are actually offended.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:23 AM
nichol4s
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Load of bollox just shows how these people are cared for and there needs!! Take the burka for instance it's how most of these pricks get in and out of the country yet it's not talked about in the Koran is it? But I've been told to take a baseball cap of in a pub because they run a no hat policy!
Old 16-11-2010, 10:26 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Seems like it was just a mix up as the toy set wasn't sold solely in the uk.

We have taken the decision to reinstate the pig and to no longer sell the set in international markets where it might create an issue.
But obviuosly that doesn't sound as good as, 'They carry daggers, steal our jobs, blow them selves up, burn our poppies and now we can't have toy pigs blah blah'
Old 16-11-2010, 10:28 AM
smokey

Originally Posted by RichardPON
This isn't a case of it not being "allowed" by some sort of higher authority though.

This is white English (probably Christian) people being offended on someone else's behalf, without actually checking to see if they are actually offended.
+1
Old 16-11-2010, 10:30 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Totally - yet another example of do-gooders actually making the issue way way worse!

Trending Topics

Old 16-11-2010, 10:43 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

erm......

ELC said: "The decision to remove the pig was taken in reaction to customer feedback in some parts of the world."
The decision was taken from feedback!
Old 16-11-2010, 10:59 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveZS
Seems like it was just a mix up as the toy set wasn't sold solely in the uk.

But obviuosly that doesn't sound as good as, 'They carry daggers, steal our jobs, blow them selves up, burn our poppies and now we can't have toy pigs blah blah'

my one question is how does anyone steal someones elses job?
Old 16-11-2010, 11:00 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

It's "The Sun"......
Old 16-11-2010, 11:26 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by **caz**
erm......

Yes but someone had to make the actual decision. Some idiot do-gooder. Rather than thinking "hmmm, maybe a lot of kids would want to play with a pig, why can't those who are offended just not buy it?"
Old 16-11-2010, 11:30 AM
paddyrs

next we wont be able to eat a pig. they came to live here so they should have to live with it
Old 16-11-2010, 11:33 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

erm......

So?

Could have been 1 complaint. Also could have been sold in a muslim country for example, and that's where the complaint originated from.

But someone still thought (or was more likely scared of offending) that it would be better to remove it.
Old 16-11-2010, 11:34 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

erm......

ELC said: "The decision to remove the pig was taken in reaction to customer feedback in some parts of the world."

Erm.......

some parts of the world
ie, not this country, maybe some country where the muslim or jewish faith is predominant. Someone complained, so the pig was pulled from the line, not realising uk papers would kick up such a fuss over it.

Originally Posted by R5FORD
Anything to do with race/religion soon turns to immigrants stealing jobs from hard working english folks
Old 16-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised all the super markets have not stopped selling pig meat too!
Old 16-11-2010, 11:40 AM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Luca
Surprised all the super markets have not stopped selling pig meat too!
They best not!! The nearest thing to a pig is Peppa, and i doubt Mancsy will appreciate me tucking into Peppa to get my 'pig' fix
Old 16-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squizxr
They best not!! The nearest thing to a pig is Peppa, and i doubt Mancsy will appreciate me tucking into Peppa to get my 'pig' fix

He tucks himself in her most nights!..
Old 16-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nichol4s
Load of bollox just shows how these people are cared for and there needs!!
No it doesnt, "these people" didnt ask for the pig to be removed, and apparently at least one muslim family questioned why there was no pig!

This was just yet more stupid christian background whitefolk who THINK they are doing people a favour when they arent.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:58 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

This is what happens when people who read books think they know more about stuff than the people who have grown up being the stuff that was written about in the books that the "clever" people were reading to get o levels in
Old 16-11-2010, 01:12 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R5FORD
Its blatantly stealing when the fat british dole bellend would rather milk the system and sit on their useless lazy arse than apply for low-paid work!! ...then someone comes into the country, is blown away by £5 p/hr pay, takes the job and works every hour they can to provide for their family.

I'm all for equal rights and fighting the political correctness bandwagon when they go absolutely tits... but the 'stealing our jobs' stuff that people wheel out and aim at legal immigrants that come here willing to work is absolutely ridiculous.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 16-11-2010, 02:00 PM
mk7fiesta

Originally Posted by paddyrs
next we wont be able to eat a pig. they came to live here so they should have to live with it
Well talking about meat we eat,I bet you didn't no that apparently over half the chicken we eat out is halal.
Old 16-11-2010, 02:03 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Yes but someone had to make the actual decision. Some idiot do-gooder. Rather than thinking "hmmm, maybe a lot of kids would want to play with a pig, why can't those who are offended just not buy it?"
So?

Could have been 1 complaint. Also could have been sold in a muslim country for example, and that's where the complaint originated from.

But someone still thought (or was more likely scared of offending) that it would be better to remove it.
The point of my post was to point out that the comment made was incorrect to a point, as it says "without checking to see if they are actually offended" - some people obviously were for the feedback to warrant removing it in the first place!

Im not agreeing with it anyway, It's rediculous to remove an animal from a toy that to a child (no matter of what religion) is just that...an animal in a farm!
Old 16-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Totally - yet another example of do-gooders actually making the issue way way worse!
So if thats the case then. does that mean 'we' are to worried about 'there' beliefs ? (even though in this day and age, 'us' and 'them' is pointless in a multicultural country/world, but thats how it seems, and is made out to be, 'us' and 'them')

our government found it necessary to chime in with there opinion, and condemn the pastor in america, who was GOING TO, burn a koran on september 11th, he was out of order because the koran is 'holy' book, and everyone has a rite to follow there own religion/beliefs etc, thats fair enough, fair play, even though that was in america, and diddly squat to do with us anyway, but it gives the rite impression internationally, to condemn it, and they give there opinion to maintain the moral high ground. but when our remembrance day, on our soil, which we have had for god knows how long, is totally disrespected, and our symbol of that day, is burnt, in public, they dont say a thing, and sweep it under the carpet.

now it cant work both ways. you cant have toy shops afraid to put a toy pig in toy set, in case it 'offends' a certain groups religion/beliefs. a governement that finds it necessary to condemn a religious book burning in another country, but dont find it necessary to condemn a group that burn the symbol of our fallen soldiers, and there memory, that have given there lives for this country, and its freedom.

surely its either everyone respects each others religions and beliefs, and if people who follow other religions and beliefs, get offended along the way, then so be it, agree to disagree so to speak. or, they condemn ANYONE that disrespects others religions or beliefs. you cant have one rule for one group, and one for another, and expect them to coexist.
Old 16-11-2010, 02:07 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DaveZS
Erm.......

ie, not this country, maybe some country where the muslim or jewish faith is predominant. Someone complained, so the pig was pulled from the line, not realising uk papers would kick up such a fuss over it.

Either way, until it was made knowledge in The Sun, the ELC obviously thought it would be the same for everywhere including the uk, as there are muslims/jewish etc living in this country, we are a multi national country, and maybe they didn't want to risk offending those living in the uk, by stopping the sale of it in another country and not the one they are residing in....i hope that makes sense I couldn't think how to word it to get it to come across how I wanted
Old 16-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

so inadvertently, they have tried to not offend one group, and in doing so, have offended another
Old 16-11-2010, 03:57 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Fiddy, it's "their" not "there"

Otherwise it makes no sense you big long post about stuff that hits the nail smack bang on the head
Old 16-11-2010, 04:27 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nichol4s
Load of bollox just shows how these people are cared for and there needs!! Take the burka for instance it's how most of these pricks get in and out of the country yet it's not talked about in the Koran is it? But I've been told to take a baseball cap of in a pub because they run a no hat policy!
I also get this attitude when wearing my balaclava when driving(for various reasons), so going to be wearing a berka jobby, be interesting to see the different attitude from the plod then, hope they don't discriminate against me.
tabetha
Old 16-11-2010, 04:30 PM
hevangel
Advanced PassionFord User

how can a farm not have a pig on it!?

someone i know brought that farm set for their little boy.... i was so confused!? its even got the pig noise button, but no pig!?
Old 16-11-2010, 04:30 PM
mk7fiesta

Originally Posted by tabetha
I also get this attitude when wearing my balaclava when driving(for various reasons), so going to be wearing a berka jobby, be interesting to see the different attitude from the plod then, hope they don't discriminate against me.
tabetha
See the scariest thing the other day some one learning to drive wearing all that gear they wear and just a pair of glasses on their face.
Old 16-11-2010, 04:46 PM
nichol4s

Originally Posted by Chip
No it doesnt, "these people" didnt ask for the pig to be removed, and apparently at least one muslim family questioned why there was no pig!

This was just yet more stupid christian background whitefolk who THINK they are doing people a favour when they arent.
In a round about way yes someone made the complaint other wise the pig would still be in!! What next? Pork scratchings not to be sold in corner shops pubs ect

It's just going stupid!!
Old 16-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Its blatantly stealing when the fat british dole bellend would rather milk the system and sit on their useless lazy arse than apply for low-paid work!! ...then someone comes into the country, is blown away by £5 p/hr pay, takes the job and works every hour they can to provide for their family.

I'm all for equal rights and fighting the political correctness bandwagon when they go absolutely tits... but the 'stealing our jobs' stuff that people wheel out and aim at legal immigrants that come here willing to work is absolutely ridiculous.

Cheers,
Grant
+1