General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone work/worked for First Great Western?

Search this Thread

Old 13-11-2010, 01:12 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone work/worked for First Great Western?

As above really.I've applied online for a multiskilled vacancy in the repair shop in paddington 7on 7off yesterday and they emailed me straight back asking me to fill in a further form related to my skillset this morning.

I did so then got an email straight back saying that if I pass the screening process,I will be offered an interview.

I THINK I'll pass the screening as I could answer yes to all the questions with my only downside being I'm based 200 miles away,although I've explained I'll find digs,I think I turned it into a positive really by saying I'm hoping to be within 30mins of the station.

I'm just wondering what their like to work for?is there anything specific that i could mention in the interview that they like to see etc?

Ill do some swotting up on the company but so far,and rightly so the only real thing I can see is their very keen on safety.

Any input appreciated.
Old 13-11-2010, 01:17 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Think you may need to do some swotting up on the cost of living near there, just in case it exceeds the salary they pay..

Old 13-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as said unless doing a flat share its gonna be a fucking fortune, min 1k a month for a basic flat
Old 13-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and they might not have parking either
Old 13-11-2010, 02:26 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah,that's fair enough I'll probably stay with family initially but it's only me to look after so I'll sleep on a chickens lip if required!!!!I've got a few mates up that way but it's something to consider certainly.from what I gather it's a about Ł40k upwards?
Old 13-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you will be fine then tbh, im doing the opposite at the min and trying to move out into a village if i can as you cant love cars and live in london these days
Old 13-11-2010, 04:28 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Railways have a strong drink and drugs policy, also you need to play the work well with others, team work, its not just you, you are a small part of a big picture sort of thing.

Steve
Old 13-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cossie4i
Railways have a strong drink and drugs policy

Steve
what they give you links to the best suppliers round your area ????
Old 13-11-2010, 04:35 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by Ginge !
what they give you links to the best suppliers round your area ????
No, you know what i mean.

Steve
Old 13-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ah,,,,,,,,, may i sugest a job working on the busses pmsl

do they do random drugs tests ect then ?

sorry but what people do in there private lives should be left that way IMO AS LONG AS IT DONT AFFECT YOUR WORK !!
Old 13-11-2010, 04:38 PM
THEDMAN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Random screening, drink level is less than the drink drive limit, cough mixtures, certain pain killers will make you fail a screening.

You would be surprised how long some of the stuff stays in your system.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ok,,, after typing that i just realised,,,,,, you are working with otherpeoples lives,,,,, maybe that aint such a stupid idea afterall

guess ill apply for a job on british airways
Old 13-11-2010, 04:41 PM
rsdan2evn
Regular Contributor

Work on the railway myself, you have to do a drug and acholl test at a medical and also earing and colour vision thats it. They can and do send u on a random drug test but often done, but if something goes wrong its the first thing they will do.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:43 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

As said random drink and drugs tests, you must also advice if you are on any medication. If you are given medication by a doctor or buy any you must inform the company before your shift starts, this is to see if it will effect your safety and the safety of others in the work place.

Steve
Old 13-11-2010, 04:52 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Railways have a strong drink and drugs policy, also you need to play the work well with others, team work, its not just you, you are a small part of a big picture sort of thing.

Steve
Thanks steve,yeah I've got no probs with the d&d side of it,if I have a pint with my meal it's rare,got all that sorted out of the way between 14-24!!!

I've always worked in teams as I'm from a factory background,I was team leader for a long time and I put that in my application.I'm really just looking to get back into electrical work into something that's not likely to shut in 6 months.

There's very little work by me worth mentioning moneywise,they seem to think paying anything above minimum wage is a bonus.ok,if I'm unskilled I'll take that but I've done a 4year apprenticeship,10 years experience,further education and nightschool classes off my own back so sorry,I'd like a bit more!!!

It sounded really interesting tbh,they were asking a LOT about fault finding,which was what I did really,multiskilling,safety etc.

The 7 on 7 off pattern appeals big time to me.

If I get it and it works out I'd consider moving nearer,they seem quite interested in me being no more than 1 hour from my place of work,I'm
assuming this is due to cover or call outs etc?

What do you do then steve?are you maintenance as well?
Old 13-11-2010, 05:48 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by vaughant

If I get it and it works out I'd consider moving nearer,they seem quite interested in me being no more than 1 hour from my place of work,I'm
assuming this is due to cover or call outs etc?

What do you do then steve?are you maintenance as well?
Showing willing to move always helps, i would not want to be than 1hr from work anyway.

Im a Train Driver

Steve
Old 13-11-2010, 06:23 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Showing willing to move always helps, i would not want to be than 1hr from work anyway.

Im a Train Driver

Steve
Wow,I'd love that job I think,but I've a feeling it's not as exciting as it seems?great pay from what I've seen though and I suppose quite good job security?
No,I wouldn't fancy being more than an hour from work either,although I suppose paddingtons pretty central really!!!obviously there's excellent rail links and I believe rail travel is free(?) within reason so that opens up a few options location wise,I suppose west would suit me?
Old 13-11-2010, 07:28 PM
rsdan2evn
Regular Contributor

I work between 40-50 hours a week with network rail, got all my crane controller, pts, coss, hand signaler, some t/o tickets blah blah. Good job if you apply yourself and keep you head down. Like a lot of jobs got its dick heads and jobworths, and alot of people seem to bitch. But if you get in a gang full of good lads its a good intrestring job.
Old 13-11-2010, 08:26 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by vaughant
Wow,I'd love that job I think,but I've a feeling it's not as exciting as it seems?great pay from what I've seen though and I suppose quite good job security?
No,I wouldn't fancy being more than an hour from work either,although I suppose paddingtons pretty central really!!!obviously there's excellent rail links and I believe rail travel is free(?) within reason so that opens up a few options location wise,I suppose west would suit me?
I started in 1987 as a Drivers Assistant, which is a trainee driver. You have to be 21 before you can drive on your own. I qualified as a Driver just after my 21st Birthday.

You do have to like your own company, as you are on your own most of the time. The job can be boring, but i still enjoy what i do after all this time.

Most companys give you free travel within its own group, i can travel on Southeastern, Southern, London Midland and Gatwick Express as it's all run by 1 Company.

I have no idea what would be your best location as i don't work for the Western. Just try and find some cheap place to rent within 1hr of Paddington.

Steve
Old 13-11-2010, 09:19 PM
THEDMAN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

P-Way soap dodger!!!!

Originally Posted by rsdan2evn
I work between 40-50 hours a week with network rail, got all my crane controller, pts, coss, hand signaler, some t/o tickets blah blah. Good job if you apply yourself and keep you head down. Like a lot of jobs got its dick heads and jobworths, and alot of people seem to bitch. But if you get in a gang full of good lads its a good intrestring job.
Old 14-11-2010, 12:20 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers for the replies lads,sounds a good industry to get into.I hadn't thought much about it before but I've had a really positive response from them so far so fingers crossed!!!!