General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Clammped, towed away and fined £390 WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 AM
reisskahn
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clammped, towed away and fined £390 WTF!!!

Firstly my fault as it was a Private car park part of an old burnt resturant which hasn't been open for over a year

Late for prayer, parked up, back out in 15mins max and me cars not there only to notice the Private Parking Warning Sign

Rang the company up (Midway Parks, just google them) and they said car was clapped at 13.20 and then recovered to the compound at 13.30

To release it costs are:

£150 for the clamp (which i know the bastards wouldn't have put on for 10 minutes)

£200 recovery

£40 storage

To say i was disguted how extorinate something like the above a company can charge is an understatment

I was in shock & literally in tears

Rang the local police station to complain but they said the company is Registered and its a Civil Matter even though the robbing bastards only accept CASH payments and there place of trading looks dodgy to f..k

Now am not a man to part easily with my monies but after all the goolge'ling and ringing around for various advise i had no choice but to pay even after arguing the fact how they can charge me storage as they've only had the car for 2 hours

Have heard the goverment is putting in laws to stop private clammpers operating like this but the amount of monies they must make before the law comes in was apparent when i was at the compound

Anway i can appeal for the hefty charges though i know its my tuff luck?

Rant out

Last edited by reisskahn; 12-11-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 AM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

that is disgusting mate.as you said the cunts have you by the balls aswell
Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 AM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by stevenebm
that is disgusting mate.as you said the cunts have you by the balls aswell
its a shock never had such a shock in my life and am not a person to get angry or lose my cool but this was taking the piss

Just a warning to all out there not to make a silly mistake which has set me back my Eid Spending, Modding the Evo and Go Karting Spree

Last edited by reisskahn; 12-11-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:35 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My mate got clamped after running in to his own flat, explained he had a permit but they refused, wanted to charge him a similar fee,

So he did the sensible thing.
U
Jacked is car up and used a battery angle grinder to cut through the sjock. And remove there clamp on tact
Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 AM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by zippyobrien
My mate got clamped after running in to his own flat, explained he had a permit but they refused, wanted to charge him a similar fee,

So he did the sensible thing.
U
Jacked is car up and used a battery angle grinder to cut through the sjock. And remove there clamp on tact
Fair play to him done the right thing

Wish i had the chance as i wouldn't have thought about it twice...

How can the robbing bastards clamp it and then collect and compand it within 10 minutes of clamming it
Old 12-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no way I'd be paying that. No way! Surely they can't compound it so quickly? Why bother clamping it for ten minutes? You considered going down with a load of friends and removing the clamp? The fine for criminal damage would be less than what they're after I bet.

Benni.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:08 AM
reisskahn

Benni fucking bastards had already taken the car and when we got to the compound its securely locked. You have to hand over the money to the guy who at the same time is holding a camera in his hand lol then he goes into the office and gets you a shitty receipt

Only once you've paid they let you into the inner yard then open the big solid non-see through gate for the second yard for you to drive the car off

Even said to them fck it keep the car (thinking that might reduce the costs) and i just want my belongings back with which the cheeky fucker goes wheres the log book (like hell i was gonna give them that) but as he proceeded with a black bag to get my stuff i thought wtf pay it and get it over and done with

If it ever happens to you i'd defo recommend chopping the clamp of if the car is still there

I've been stung but fair bet this isn't the end of it as am sure some poor folks car will having the same issue soon

Last edited by reisskahn; 12-11-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Disgusting! I don't understand why it's a civil matter. Surely they can't just take your car!? Probably because there is no money in it for the Police?

Benni.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just read how bad my spelling is. Note to self, no keyboarding after more than 5 pints
Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You parked somewhere you shouldn't have. Deal with it.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:54 AM
rubinsbin
BANNED
BANNED

late for prayer aswell-bloody ell m8 what a bastard----------------
Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Legally speaking there is no contract so you have no obligation to pay them. See felthouse vs bindley - one cannot be assumed to have consented to a contract simply by failure to act or object.

However, they have your car.

How much is your car worth? I'd speak to a solicitor straight away and get them to apply for an order to allow you to reposses the car.

Alternatively, go back to the police and tell them it's not a fucking civil matter, it's theft. You have been deprived of your property without consent and without lawful or legal authority.

Chris
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tbh when I was doing recovery/storage,you do charge a day even if it's been there 5 mins although we always included the 1st days storage in with the recovery charges.

I would imagine they've targeted the carpark as one used by people going to mosque at regular times throughout the day and thought"he'll be in there at least an hour,we'll have that away".

Unfortunately you've been had mate.

Theres no hard and fast rules for how much you can charge for recovery/storage.we generally stuck to £200 recovery,£20 per day storage but if the insurance company got arsey I'd up recovery to £350 and storage £40 per day as that's what the police "recommended" guy charged.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 AM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What would happen if you report the car stolen and then the next day Police get a tip off it's at their storage yard? Would Police get it back for you or let hem have it?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i would get the tax man onto them as if they're only accepting cash as payment chances are they are fiddling the books and swindling the money
Old 12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
s1cab

wathdog ! worth a go.. I parked my series 1 in a car park a few years back for 15mins came back and the car was gone. There were no signs anywhere so i called the police which came then they found out that it had been towed by a company and give me their address and phone number. luckily i took photos of the car park that day. anyway paid £340 to get my car back because they said it was a private car park. I then sent them a letter saying that i was going to take them to court as there were no signs in the car park. the next day i went past the car park and there were 6 brand new signs up on the wall.. basically went to court they had to pay me £1600 and were fined about £3000 for breaking the rules. so a victory in the end.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
What would happen if you report the car stolen and then the next day Police get a tip off it's at their storage yard? Would Police get it back for you or let hem have it?
You'd still have to pay fella,there would have been some notices up telling him what the consequences are,so no real comeback tbh.

What's bad about this is the fact that they've charged him such a stupid amount and taken the car after such a short period.

As I said it's obviously a bit of a hotspot with the mosque being nearby.

Not meaning to judge in anyway but the Muslim faith wasn't painted in the best of lights yesterday regarding the burning poppy incident,it could be that your a victim of circumstance,see a Muslim gent,think"we'll have him,after all they've done today".

You know how it can be,easy to generalise these things,emotions run high and shit happens.

Not right I know,but it happens.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:17 AM
rossco22
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by FletchCossie

As above can they legaly just take your car after like 10 mins ? Surely clamping is one thing but taking the hole car straight away there should be a law against that?, may be after 24 hours but not straight off ?...
Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 AM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by Lambchop
You parked somewhere you shouldn't have. Deal with it.
read my first post soley accept responsibility. My stupidness has made me cough up. But coughing up £390 for being parked up for no more than 20 mins considering there was other cars parked there aswell

Oh and supposedly they clammped it and then lifted it with 10 mins

Warning to all companies like this could be operating anywhere so do be alert

Have sure relised i'll be more careful where am parking next time

Last edited by reisskahn; 12-11-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:33 AM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by rossco22
As above can they legaly just take your car after like 10 mins ? Surely clamping is one thing but taking the hole car straight away there should be a law against that?, may be after 24 hours but not straight off ?...
thats what i was thinking but what the heck have bit the bullet and paid ups

Just trying to alert other to be careful

Originally Posted by vaughant
As I said it's obviously a bit of a hotspot with the mosque being nearby.

Not meaning to judge in anyway but the Muslim faith wasn't painted in the best of lights yesterday regarding the burning poppy incident,it could be that your a victim of circumstance,see a Muslim gent,think"we'll have him,after all they've done today".
Nah happen on Wednesday and i don't really see that being the cause

Last edited by reisskahn; 12-11-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Antti O

No hell what a price! I thought that Finland 30-50€ parking fine is expensive altough i dont violate rules but mistakes happen.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

this is exactly why private clamping and towing away are being made illegal soon.

If it was me i would have climbed in the compound at night and broke out. or smashed the cunts face in, take the camera, then drive out
Old 12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
this is exactly why private clamping and towing away are being made illegal soon.

If it was me i would have climbed in the compound at night and broke out. or smashed the cunts face in, take the camera, then drive out

All because YOU fucked up and parked in the wrong place?

(obviously theoretically speaking)
Old 12-11-2010, 11:59 AM
morcheen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubinsbin
late for prayer aswell-bloody ell m8 what a bastard----------------
didn't pray hard enough
Old 12-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by morcheen
didn't pray hard enough

Praying is a waste of time tbh, and money by the looks of it.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

£390! hard lesson learned.

the sooner England do away with these cowboys the better; Scotland have already got rid.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by morcheen
didn't pray hard enough
sorry but
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by reisskahn
thats what i was thinking but what the heck have bit the bullet and paid ups

Just trying to alert other to be careful

Nah happen on Wednesday and i don't really see that being the cause

Sorry fella,just put 2+2 together and came up with 17.4!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:19 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Reiss, buy a £30 scrapper, fill it full of thermite and petrol, a few bottles of gas, and anything else that goes bang. Make a simple timer ignition circuit, or a cheap mobile phone trigger. Park it in the car park, when they tow it, wait until they are in the compound, then blow the cunts sky high.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
fish99

Originally Posted by cjwood555
Legally speaking there is no contract so you have no obligation to pay them. See felthouse vs bindley - one cannot be assumed to have consented to a contract simply by failure to act or object.

However, they have your car.

How much is your car worth? I'd speak to a solicitor straight away and get them to apply for an order to allow you to reposses the car.

Alternatively, go back to the police and tell them it's not a fucking civil matter, it's theft. You have been deprived of your property without consent and without lawful or legal authority.

Chris

Sorry mate, Cant see how that is theft. A person has to dishonestly appropriate property with the intention of permanently depriving another of it... If they "are" a registered company to conduct clamping and removal for vehicles which are parked against conditions then how are they guilty of commiting theft? Have they dishonestly appropriated the property? from what I have "quickly" read then no they havent as there are alledgedly signs stating no parking.

It is a civil matter between the clamper and the clamped. Go to CAB and seek legal advice from person who deals with civil matters.

I do totally feel for you on this one..

Good luck
Old 12-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
All because YOU fucked up and parked in the wrong place?
yep, because the "invoice" for parking is totally disproportionate to the cost incurred or the perceived "loss" the land owner has incurred by you parking there.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
morcheen

might need to change god's if your's aint helping you out
do you know if any others from your church/temple/thingy have been caught by the same thing ? the ticketers and clampers do like to lay in wait for easy targets.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Ash170990
Focus RS 0268

its not good, the other day i went out with me cousin to drop of some keys to someone he was doin work for, we parked in a carpark where you got an hour fre,, was in there for 1 hour and 3 minutes and he got clamped..... £190 fine to be paid on the spot!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:24 PM
cjwood555

Originally Posted by fish99
Sorry mate, Cant see how that is theft. A person has to dishonestly appropriate property with the intention of permanently depriving another of it... If they "are" a registered company to conduct clamping and removal for vehicles which are parked against conditions then how are they guilty of commiting theft? Have they dishonestly appropriated the property? from what I have "quickly" read then no they havent as there are alledgedly signs stating no parking.

It is a civil matter between the clamper and the clamped. Go to CAB and seek legal advice from person who deals with civil matters.

I do totally feel for you on this one..

Good luck
To be honest it's either theft or conversion - as said, there are precedential rulings that say consent may not be assumed by a failure to decline an offer to contract.

Whether it's criminal or tort is a matter for debate. Did they intend to permanently deprive the victim? If he didn't submit to exortion, probably yes - they would keep the car and sell it. And in any case, extortion is a criminal offence.

Chris
Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 PM
rs tingle
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by reisskahn
Firstly my fault as it was a Private car park part of an old burnt resturant which hasn't been open for over a year

Late for prayer, parked up, back out in 15mins max and me cars not there only to notice the Private Parking Warning Sign

Rang the company up (Midway Parks, just google them) and they said car was clapped at 13.20 and then recovered to the compound at 13.30

To release it costs are:

£150 for the clamp (which i know the bastards wouldn't have put on for 10 minutes)

£200 recovery

£40 storage

To say i was disguted how extorinate something like the above a company can charge is an understatment

I was in shock & literally in tears

Rang the local police station to complain but they said the company is Registered and its a Civil Matter even though the robbing bastards only accept CASH payments and there place of trading looks dodgy to f..k

Now am not a man to part easily with my monies but after all the goolge'ling and ringing around for various advise i had no choice but to pay even after arguing the fact how they can charge me storage as they've only had the car for 2 hours

Have heard the goverment is putting in laws to stop private clammpers operating like this but the amount of monies they must make before the law comes in was apparent when i was at the compound

Anway i can appeal for the hefty charges though i know its my tuff luck?

Rant out
this does not suprise me in birmingham at all
Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

unlucky
Old 13-11-2010, 12:24 AM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Reiss, buy a £30 scrapper, fill it full of thermite and petrol, a few bottles of gas, and anything else that goes bang. Make a simple timer ignition circuit, or a cheap mobile phone trigger. Park it in the car park, when they tow it, wait until they are in the compound, then blow the cunts sky high.
Your giving me ideas but whats done is done now apart from being £390 short so just trying me to stop crying and thinking about the spilt milk

No need to bring religion into this fella's no where in Islam does it tell us to break the laws (even though there was little shitty out the way warning sign) it was still there and i messed and ended up paying the penalty which i didn't like hence posting up here and trying to warn others to be aware what can happen...

Nothing to do with praying harder or not.

Whats wrong is wrong
Old 13-11-2010, 06:02 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

what happened to one of my guys the other week was that he ent to turn around in a car park and the removal unit simply blocked him in, put a clamp on him and stuck a sticker on the window and said "£390 please or we tow the vehicle and it goes up even more"

total and utter cunts these lot are, and the £30 car won't be lifted as it's not worth the money as someone might not come back and get it
Old 13-11-2010, 08:44 AM
cossiejay

i love people who think they can park where they want and moan when they get caught wicked
Old 13-11-2010, 08:46 AM
cossiejay

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver

tresspassing,assult and theft ,yes that would be a real good thing to do

Quick Reply: Clammped, towed away and fined £390 WTF!!!