General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Parking ticket experts! help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Parking ticket experts! help needed.

I was visiting a friends house just down the road and I got a council parking ticket in a residential parking bay that had no sign, just white dashed parking bay marked in the road.

I initially appealed on the grounds that the bay had no sign but that was rejected with the council claiming that as i lived in the area, i should know the restriction was in force despite no sign being present WTF

Obviously thats fucking rediculous.

this is the bay:

You can see a post where a sign once was (and has been replaced since).

Now i have a second opportunity to appeal and ive been advised i can appeal under the legislation called 'Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions' and that a ticket issued in an incorrectly marked parking bay (be it road markings or signs) is legally unenforcable.

Does anyone know the exact piece of legislation i need to quote in the appeal letter so I win???
Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
longdog
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I cant help, but that cars bleeding awesome!
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ask on www.pepipoo.com
Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 AM
parcs

Some info here:
http://www.neilherron.blogspot.com/
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

go and measure the lines and gaps....the lines HAVE to be 600mm long (slight % tollerance)....but the gaps can be 600-2400mm....so eg 500ish line 500ish gap.......WRONG...............get ur tape out bud... (and still moan about the sign.....the fuckn post is there so why not a sign...??)
Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I completely fail to see how they can enforce that when there's no sign.
Since I'm not from the area does that then mean that I could have parked there and not got a ticket?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 AM
CarParts Express
PassionFord Regular

If there are parking bays along the side of the road then there should be signs within 5 metres at either end of the parking bays. There should also be signs every 30m.

Taken from http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/par...ve-rights.html

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM
david 100
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you live in the area you should know the restrictions, what arse in the council thought that one up , what utter bollicks..

But there is a post there so i bet the was a sign there but some piky nicked it for scrap and the councill have not replaced it.
No restriction thee so they dont have a leg to stand on.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

that little black post next to the wall looks like its ment to have a sign onit

if there is no sign then they can do nothing mate

take some good pics of the area and tell them to take you to court
also say you have spoken to a solictor on the matter
and you will be counter claiming for loss of earnings when going to court

bet they rip the ticket up

oh and say you have spoken to the local press and they have been out to take pics also and its going in the paper
Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Cool written a letter now! will see what happens.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Warren - did you take the sign off LOL
Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shings
Warren - did you take the sign off LOL
Yes. Probably with an axe!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Letter sent!! I also took it as an opportunity to get a dig at the council

08 November 2010

FORMAL REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO PCN SK04771036 DATED 13/05/10.

Further to the initial rejection letter for my “Informal Appeal”, I am writing for a formal representation.

In the below 3 pictures it can be clearly seen that there is no residents parking sign:

In accordance with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 and guidance within Chapter 3 of the Traffic Signs Manual (page 69) there is supposed to be a sign marking the residents permit bay.
There is no such sign in this location; hence this restriction does not comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002. It is therefore unenforceable and I trust the PCN will be cancelled.

Further to this I note that in the initial rejection letter you state that having lived in the area nearby, that therefore I should be aware of the restriction. That is an assumption on your part. It is just as likely that I (or any other member of the public) would assume that the sign not being present was indication that the restrictions were lifted. Thus it is impossible for you, as the council’s representative, to assume the public would, on the balance of probabilities be aware that an unsigned restriction is still in force. Regardless of this, the TSRGD (2002) means the PCN is unenforceable anyway.

On one further note is the postage system within Parking Services. The initial rejection letter was received on the 9 July 2010 and posted on the 7 July 2010 as can be seen from the postmark in the picture below:

Yet on opening the letter it was dated 25 June 2010. Now it appears to me that the internal postal system of the council is clearly, at best, inefficient for a letter to take 12 days to be posted! Conveniently (or inconveniently from the public perspective) the discount period for a reduced charge is 14 days and with 2 days to delivery from receipt of the letter at the sorting office being the norm, it is likely that many customers would receive the letter after work on the 14th day, when the council office is likely to closed. Now of course this could be an unfortunate error by the department leading to letters being delayed or maybe it is a deliberate act by the council to avoid giving customers the discount period and hence raising more money for the cash strapped council. Of course the public would be rightly horrified if this was the case.

Maybe I am being a little cynical but in light of recent budget cuts, massive amounts of money being raised through PCN’s issued in the evenings since re-introduction of evening parking charges and cuts to important welfare services, is it any wonder that I come to such a conclusion?

As previously mentioned the missing sign means the bay does not comply with the TSRGD and as such it is unenforceable and I trust the PCN will be cancelled.

Yours Sincerely

Warren Penalver
Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 AM
FordsR4Chavs
BANNED
BANNED

Sorry but the council have got you. They dont need a sign, those ridiculous wheels you have on the rear of that puma exceed the outer white line...
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

the offence was not displaying a valid permit, nothing to do with the white line. The council here only prosecute if you are more than 50cm from the kerb when parked.