General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Lest We Forget..

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
nichol4s
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lest We Forget..

Wearing a poppy is not a sign of religion, It is not a Protestant or Catholic symbol. It is a sign of remembrance for those who gave their lives for our rights and freedom... so that we have the right to wear a poppy without fear or shame..Lest We Forget
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Slaney21
Roflmaowtfbbqhax!

Will be wearing mine with pride... Got a text yesterday saying that celtic f.c have banned the sale of poppies on their premesis as its offensive to the irish supporters of theirs?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
nichol4s
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

So they won't be remembering the brave who have served with the Royal Irish Regt..

I've got mine and know why I wear it!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
DazS1Turbo
Advanced PassionFord User

https://i.imgur.com/CXm26.jpg

C@ltic yesterday

statement from the fans group involved

"At half-time during today’s match against Aberdeen we displayed message banners calling for ‘No bloodstained poppys on our hoops’ in protest at the Club’s decision to once again wear the poppy on our shirts during next week’s game at St Mirren (a match our group will not attend because of this decision). This is in support of an appeal by Poppyscotland to all SPL clubs. Poppyscotland describes its role as ‘supporting heroes’ and state that ‘the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces’. Our group and many within the Celtic support do not recognise the British Armed Forces as heroes, nor their role in many conflicts as one worthy of our remembrance. Earlier this year, the Saville Report on Bloody Sunday confirmed that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment. They were among hundreds killed by the British Army during the most recent phase of conflict in Ireland. More recently, the British Armed Forces have murdered and maimed many thousands more innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. The poppy remembers not just our grandfathers who fought the Nazis but also those who bombed the Belgrano and brutally occupied the streets of Belfast and Basra. While we recognise the right of individuals to remember their dead and that many within the Celtic support will wear the poppy in memory of family and friends lost in WW2 and other conflicts, we cannot accept the imposition of the poppy onto our shirts.
As far back as April, representatives from the Green Brigade, Celtic Supporters Association and Celtic Trust met with Peter Lawwell to express our united opposition to the Club imposing the poppy on the first team jersey. We also know that the AICSC and many other individual supporters had called on the Club to reverse their position of previous years and take the poppy off the shirt. Following our meeting in April, the Club were contacted on several occasions for further dialogue on the issue but informed us that they were still considering their position and would get back to us. The first any group knew of the decision was after it had been made, and publicly announced. We share the views of the AICSC whose recent statement on the poppy stated that ‘to see the jersey being used as a medium for such a divisive symbol and the message it communicates is deplorable’, and that it showed a complete lack of respect for the support, further highlighted by repeated declarations on the official website of Celtic’s delight to be wearing the poppy and supporting Poppyscotland. It appears rather than leave his politics at the door, chairman John Reid, the former Armed Forces Minister and Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and Defence, has forced his onto the first team jersey.

As you may have noticed at today’s game, we mistakenly missed out the ‘D’ in ‘bloodstained’. This happened in the rush to finish two displays for todays game (with our ‘Show the SFA the red card’ action before the match). The real mistake, however, is the Club forcing the poppy onto our shirt."

Beyond belief

SCUM

same every year

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/home...y-outrage.html

Last edited by DazS1Turbo; 07-11-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats fucking disgusting!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 AM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Fucking bang out of order
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems they have forgotten that millions died, which actually allows them the freedom of expression for their very silly opinion. Bunch of freaks.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a shame that the conflict in northern ireland ended up with troops and civilians fighting each other, its bound to lead to tension in certain sections of society.

I think its a shame though when the poppy which actually dates back to when troops were genuinely fighting for our freedom (not for oil profits etc) is getting its reputation effected by more modern events.

And its certainly never a good idea when sports clubs get involved in politics.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.
John McCrae 1915

Last edited by Chip; 08-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

They're a bunch of stupid backward fucking cunts at these Glasgow clubs, best just leaving them to it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dazs1turbo
https://i.imgur.com/cxm26.jpg

c@ltic yesterday

statement from the fans group involved

"at half-time during today’s match against aberdeen we displayed message banners calling for ‘no bloodstained poppys on our hoops’ in protest at the club’s decision to once again wear the poppy on our shirts during next week’s game at st mirren (a match our group will not attend because of this decision). This is in support of an appeal by poppyscotland to all spl clubs. Poppyscotland describes its role as ‘supporting heroes’ and state that ‘the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our armed forces’. Our group and many within the celtic support do not recognise the british armed forces as heroes, nor their role in many conflicts as one worthy of our remembrance. Earlier this year, the saville report on bloody sunday confirmed that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in derry in 1972 by the paratroop regiment. They were among hundreds killed by the british army during the most recent phase of conflict in ireland. More recently, the british armed forces have murdered and maimed many thousands more innocent civilians in iraq and afghanistan. The poppy remembers not just our grandfathers who fought the nazis but also those who bombed the belgrano and brutally occupied the streets of belfast and basra. While we recognise the right of individuals to remember their dead and that many within the celtic support will wear the poppy in memory of family and friends lost in ww2 and other conflicts, we cannot accept the imposition of the poppy onto our shirts.
As far back as april, representatives from the green brigade, celtic supporters association and celtic trust met with peter lawwell to express our united opposition to the club imposing the poppy on the first team jersey. We also know that the aicsc and many other individual supporters had called on the club to reverse their position of previous years and take the poppy off the shirt. Following our meeting in april, the club were contacted on several occasions for further dialogue on the issue but informed us that they were still considering their position and would get back to us. The first any group knew of the decision was after it had been made, and publicly announced. We share the views of the aicsc whose recent statement on the poppy stated that ‘to see the jersey being used as a medium for such a divisive symbol and the message it communicates is deplorable’, and that it showed a complete lack of respect for the support, further highlighted by repeated declarations on the official website of celtic’s delight to be wearing the poppy and supporting poppyscotland. It appears rather than leave his politics at the door, chairman john reid, the former armed forces minister and secretary of state for northern ireland and defence, has forced his onto the first team jersey.

As you may have noticed at today’s game, we mistakenly missed out the ‘d’ in ‘bloodstained’. This happened in the rush to finish two displays for todays game (with our ‘show the sfa the red card’ action before the match). The real mistake, however, is the club forcing the poppy onto our shirt."

beyond belief

scum

same every year

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/home...y-outrage.html

celtic fc scotlands shame.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Well i shall be wearing my poppy with pride and i'd like to see someone try and tell me i can't wear it
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Dr. Blofeld
Menace to society

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What was Hitler's position on gingers anyway?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dr. Blofeld
What was Hitler's position on gingers anyway?
Not as inferior as you seem to think
Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

As said in another thread elsewhere.....another year, another opportunity to play the Last Post in rememberance. Rush of pride every year I do it at service.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:32 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
just been on sky news the cunts that do it will be banned!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Also on superscore board last night the group that done it will be banned for life what gets me is why the stewards didnt get the police involded at the time.
its a shame celtic done great at the weekend fair play 9-0 is a awesome game n all everybody is talking about is they dicks with the banners.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Willis1989
Regular Contributor

The scum at celtic football club forget that the people they are protesting against fought and died for their right to protest, for their right to speak freely, without the sacrifice they made we would be speaking german living in a communist state where if they held a protest banner they would be shot dead.

If you dont want to wear a poppy then dont, but protesting peoples right to wear them is like supporting the idea of a controlled state, do they want a government that tells them what they can and cant do? Even if it is something as small as the right to wear a poppy?

I shall be wearing my poppy with pride, in rememberance of those who died for MY freedom.

At the going down of thew sun, and in the morning, we shall remember them, our absent friends gone but NEVER forgotten.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Indeed its ironic that they are effectively asking for a move away from freedom of speech towards a nazi or islamic type layout instead, but then these are gnerally very thick or very hate filled people you are talking about so its no surprise they'll miss that.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Willis1989
Regular Contributor

They also forget that there are thousands of citizens of the republic of ireland in the british armed forces, there were also tens of thousands of irishmen in the great wars.

Do the Irish people not get sick of celtic highjacking their "cause" or saying things in their name, im sure there are many irishmen who appreciate the poppy whether or not they choose to wear one.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Willis1989
They also forget that there are thousands of citizens of the republic of ireland in the british armed forces, there were also tens of thousands of irishmen in the great wars.
why let the fact's get in the way though!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

I must say, I'm a little disappointed at how few people seem to wear a poppy these days. Was just in town and saw hardly any, all worn by pensioners.

Perhaps I feel the need more as I knew relatives who fought in WWII, and many people younger than me won't know people who did, but I think it's important to remember.

And to me, it isn't just about remembering those from the British Army, it's about remembering all those who have suffered as a result of conflicts over the years; be they English, Scottish, Irish, German, Italian, Muslim, Japanese, soldier or civilian.

Sadly, the mindset of these people won't allow them to see it from all sides. Some of the things that happened in Ireland were awful but, lets be honest, the things the Irish did to British soldiers (and even civilians) were just as terrible as the mistakes of bloody Sunday.

As said, lest we forget...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Dexy
DTFTW

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
+1
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I've got one of those metal ones and I wear mine practically every day of the year. This month it's on my jumper everyday and throughout the rest of the year it's clipped to my Help for Heroes wristband. I've seen very few people wearing them so far which is strange in a Garrison Town.