General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

rusty arches on focus mk1

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2010, 09:23 PM
simonc871

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rusty arches on focus mk1

hey guys. my car had respray round about four years and the rear arches have basically filled up with water rusted fairly bad.

got a quote from a body shop the other day and they quoted me 250 pound and that was for one arch! he also said that it will come back no matter what.

so i was wondering if there was anyone on here that could sort this out for me or no anyone that could. people have said do it yourself but i wouldn't trust myself to do it, i want a proper job.

cheers
Old 31-10-2010, 09:29 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is 250 for a new arch? cos that not that bad,my cossy was 250 per arch i think,you dont want em rubbed back and bogged up.
Old 31-10-2010, 09:52 PM
simonc871

no not for a new arch. that was just for them to grind it back to metal,clean all crap out, bang abit of filler in and thats it. someone told me id have to have abit of the arch cut out and replaced or get it leaded or summet.
Old 31-10-2010, 10:00 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

only way is to cut it out and put new metal in, but keep in mind they may need to blow in a large area and welding in a new arch isn't going to be a five minute job.
Old 31-10-2010, 10:04 PM
simonc871

so no matter what the best option is to get new arch's welded in?

isn't there like 2 skins to a rear arch?
Old 31-10-2010, 10:06 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by simonc871
hey guys. my car had respray round about four years and the rear arches have basically filled up with water rusted fairly bad.

got a quote from a body shop the other day and they quoted me 250 pound and that was for one arch! he also said that it will come back no matter what.

so i was wondering if there was anyone on here that could sort this out for me or no anyone that could. people have said do it yourself but i wouldn't trust myself to do it, i want a proper job.

cheers
Odd on a focus that,can't say I've ever seen one with major rust before?if you could post a pic up on here it would help as it sounds to me as though it may have been caused by the original bodyshops poor prepwork.

Otherwise,pricewise he's not too far away really as their big old arches on them and you'll be near enough painting the 1/4 and if its metallic laquering the door/s as well,both sides.

Time he's bought the arches at about £40-50 for the pair,seamsealer,etch prime,prep and paint it's a fair bit of work.
Old 31-10-2010, 10:34 PM
simonc871

Originally Posted by vaughant
Odd on a focus that,can't say I've ever seen one with major rust before?if you could post a pic up on here it would help as it sounds to me as though it may have been caused by the original bodyshops poor prepwork.

Otherwise,pricewise he's not too far away really as their big old arches on them and you'll be near enough painting the 1/4 and if its metallic laquering the door/s as well,both sides.

Time he's bought the arches at about £40-50 for the pair,seamsealer,etch prime,prep and paint it's a fair bit of work.

well i bought the car about 3 years ago and the guy had it sprayed in that rs frozen white. looked awsum. and about a year ago the offside arch just started bubbling with water then paint flaked off, looks a state. the other arch isn't that bad but its starting to bubble so might aswell get both done.

but on focus's the rear arch liners are carpet like material that absorb water, so wouldn't no what to do about sorting them out. but il get some pics posted up tomoz and you can see for your self.

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well i bought the car about 3 years ago and the guy had it sprayed in that rs frozen white. looked awsum. and about a year ago the offside arch just started bubbling with water then paint flaked off, looks a state. the other arch isn't that bad but its starting to bubble so might aswell get both done.

but on focus's the rear arch liners are carpet like material that absorb water, so wouldn't no what to do about sorting them out. but il get some pics posted up tomoz and you can see for your self.

Stupid idea that carpet liner shit,causes 90% of the problems with puma arches that.

Yeah some pics would be great,I'm guessing it may only be surface rust under the paint.if so,get your arse up to halfords and buy some kurust,brilliant stuff,used loads of it (surprisingly.....not!!) on my Cossie.I just kept grinding back as far as possible to get the rot out with a heavy wire brush attachment,painted the kurust on,after about an hour it turned blue,and back to solid again.etch primed and job done,no rust ever came back through.

When my previous painter did my old scooby there was minimal surface rust on an arch but he tried rushing it by the looks of things and within a WEEK it had bubbled,must have flicked up water on the booth floor and thought fuck it,I'll paint over it.

He was a tired useless cunt anyway!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
simonc871

Name:  CIMG1226.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  47.5 KB

heres the pic mate. bad init lol. i fink its just surface rust but the guy at the bodyshop said it will come back and theres nothing i co do unless i cut it out.

is this kurust good stuff like?

if i do end up doing it myself. is there anything that i could put behind the wheelarch to stop it keep from happening?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Take of the rear quarter trim inside and get a torch - there's a big hole you can easily see through to identify whether it's surface rust or more serious.

Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest getting a proper bodyshop to cut out and replace both arches with new panels if you want a proper job. I had similar work done before for around £300 per arch
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from the ammount of bubbling it looks really bad but the metal thats visible looks just like surface rust. best bet is to attack it with a wire wheel going back to good metal and see what your left with. you might have to do some welding though or at least can show the body shops exactly what condition its in.

personally i dont think curust is any good, didnt work for me. there are some good products from www.rust.co.uk

i've repared my focus door now after the failed attempt last year and cut out all the rot (was on the inside and didnt damage the outer skin so didnt bother to do any welding) and on the bare steel used a pre-primer that puts a zinc-phosphate coating on the surface by chemically bonding and if you keep it wet for long enough attacks the rust too. then used zinc grey primer, colour and laqure. last year i used kurust and normal primer but obviously failed.

on i clean bare steel pannel with no rust and no pitting i think an acid etch primer is going to be a good start unless anyone else more in the know can advise.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i cant see it coming back quickly if its properly sorted, although it will come back. get a powerful wire brush on an angle grinder and dig ALL of it out until its all shiny metal, genolite (or equivalent) the area, then primer it, filler it etc etc then paint it, im sure for now it will come up fine
Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

heres the pic mate. bad init lol. i fink its just surface rust but the guy at the bodyshop said it will come back and theres nothing i co do unless i cut it out.

is this kurust good stuff like?

if i do end up doing it myself. is there anything that i could put behind the wheelarch to stop it keep from happening?

Nah,not that bad fella but you really need to use the heavy wire wheel on an angle grinder to really make sure that it's only surface rust.

The bodyshop guys only covering his arse as there's no guarantees with rust as I know from experience,but if you can satisfy yourself that there's nothing nasty lurking beneath then you can press on with some confidence it won't just come straight back,after all,you've got nothing to lose now as if it's rotten,you'll have to cut it out anyway so getting it back bare to assess it then if it's ok,treat it and etch prime it then take it down the body shop.

It might save you a few bob as well!!

Some good suggestions above also,although I found the kurust great.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
simonc871

yeah im gona get it done on weekend and see what the situation is. its nearly winter and it'l probably get worse. i really hope it isn't bad, i was starting to save money to get my engine tuned up abit lol fingers cross.

anyways cheers for all the comments guys really helpful

il update this post on weekend and tell you what situation is, il try and get some pics in aswell.

cheers peeps
Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you know someoen with a DA get it rubbed back, it it goes tits up then paint it over with some red oxide and worry about it later
unless its fairly new its prob a shiiter anyway and not worth the repairs
pre 2000 foci are doin a grand now and some are very tidy

ive never seen a focus do that do someone has been fucking around somewhere, front arches go on pattern wings that aint sealed but otehrwise they dont rust without someone not doing a job propperly, my mums had some weird paint in its time, bein 1.5k under its equivilent it was worth buying tho, just on teh door edges, looks like rust thats been fixed but theres no rust or signs or a large repair that would have allowed filler or major tampering