General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Diesel remaps - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2010, 12:05 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel remaps - worth it?

I'm buying a 56 plate golf with the 140 bhp engine, will i really notice a big difference from a remap? Is it likely to fuck the clutch, its done 60k?

Finally, who's best to contact in west mids (solihull/brum area)
Old 31-10-2010, 12:09 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no mate to be honest wast of money

you need a plug n play box much better than re map as its only a re flash you will get

2 mates with 1.9 diesel astras
ones on the tuning box and the other re flash

tuning box gets more mpg and is alot faster when he boots it

clutch will be fine also
Old 31-10-2010, 12:15 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

some cars respond to remaps better than others, but some do hinder thier lifespan

the 140 golf is fairly great as it is, used to run one as a company pool car for a while and it was fast enough, brakes wern't all that though and the steering was dead but in a straight line, it was fairly epic for a motor you could park anywhere and not worry about
Old 31-10-2010, 12:19 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

A remap on a turbo diesel is one of the best things you can do for the money. Mates got a 1.9tdi seat leon, 110bhp standard. One trip to AMD later and it's 150bhp, a metric fuckload of torque, and better fuel economy, for a few hundred quid. Do it mate, you won't be dissapointed! (vag engines respond really well it remaps it seems)

Last edited by zetec-Sam; 31-10-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:23 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
A remap on a turbo diesel is one of the best things you can do for the money. Mates got a 1.9tdi seat leon, 110bhp standard. One trip to AMD later and it's 150bhp, a metric fuckload of torque, and better fuel economy, for a few hundred quid. Do it mate, you won't be dissapointed! (vag engines respond really well it remaps it seems)
but with the plug n play tuning box you get 3 different settings and if you ever want it back to standard then unplug it or if you want a bit more after a while then up the setting

you much more for your money with the box and its only 1 plug

fit it in mins
Old 31-10-2010, 12:30 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

But, they're all a generic map on the boxes, and due to engines not being 100% the same, don't alwyas get the best results. A decent re-map from somewhere like AMD will include them checking the map, rolling roading the car, and if needed altering the map to get the best gains from the engine.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:35 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
the 140 golf is fairly great as it is, used to run one as a company pool car for a while and it was fast enough, brakes wern't all that though and the steering was dead but in a straight line, it was fairly epic for a motor you could park anywhere and not worry about
That's the plan mate, replacing my trusty mondeo which you could park in downtown Baghdad and no one would touch it! Brakes are 'grabby' but I'll get used to it.

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
whilst it sounds very attractive it is the "metric fuckload" of torque that will kill the clutch, and I'm after everyday reliability. My days of pissing about with paddle clutches and praying it'll work when you turn the key are over I think! Getting old at 26!

V-man - I'm an utter window licker with spanners/electrics so would not be doing any fitting myself, I don't mind admitting that. I would want some kind of warranty for peace of mind so would be looking to use a well established tuning company if I were to go ahead.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:38 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by v man
no mate to be honest wast of money

you need a plug n play box much better than re map as its only a re flash you will get
Disagree. Tuning boxes generally fool the car into dumping more fuel/air in and are a very crude tuning tool, they don't get rid of the torque restrictions in the lower gears, so won't improve performance like a GOOD remap.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:39 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im with dan theres no way imo a tuning box is better then a remap
Old 31-10-2010, 12:51 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by danneth
Im with dan theres no way imo a tuning box is better then a remap
yeh true but a simple ecu flash and rolling road aint a remap

thats all they do to a diesel

tell me if im wrong though

a lot of my friends prefer the box over ''map''
Old 31-10-2010, 12:53 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Who mentioned a ecu flash? he asked about a remap
Old 31-10-2010, 12:54 PM
dojj

i'm sure there is a vw tuner that the redline guys use to sort their vag stuff out, maybe the best place to ask what would be the best thing to do

or you could always pick up performance vw and have a look at different place

just make sure you ask peole wbout who you are going to use BEFORE you use them as there ar some horror stories out there
Old 31-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 31-10-2010, 12:58 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

A remap is an alteration to the car's existing map, it's the same for diesels and petrols. Remaps are never completely new maps, just alterations, as are 'reflashes'.

There is no way I'd fit a tuning box to my Diesel, but I will definitely get a remap.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:03 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

theres is a big difference between a tuning box, a generic flash map and good remap done by a tuner on a rolling road.

the tuning box is the crudest and dumbest way of doing it as it is just fooling the ecu into dumping more fuel in.
the generic flash map is better than that as it is a remap made by a tuner but backed off a bit so it can be used on all engines. there is no foolng the ecu with this and is therefore much better than a tuning box.
a propper remap however is by FAR the best method as its your car mapped on a rolling road specifically for your engine!!! therefore it optimises your engine and should not be coppied and used on anyone elses as the tollorences in their engine may be poorer than yours and could in theory kill their engine!

modern diesel engines generally respond VERY well to remaps and the stnadard clutches are usually beefy enough to easily cope with the additional torque.

BigChez, if i were you i'd get onto the vag forums as there will be far more knowledge on there regarding your specific engine.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:06 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

ok

well i dont drive a diesel just going on what ive always been led to belive by verious friends
Old 31-10-2010, 01:08 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ring awesome gti or dubsport
Old 31-10-2010, 01:10 PM
bigjohn0
PassionFord Regular

We did some work on a 150bhp PD engine not long ago and that had a remap of 205bhp. The car come to us for a 6 paddle clutch as the standard clutch cant cope with the extra bhp. Also dont forget that VW gearbox are shit so anything over standard will only cause you problems.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok

well i dont drive a diesel just going on what ive always been led to belive by verious friends

Why post all the bollocks input then ?
Old 31-10-2010, 01:11 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

ok

I generally find people with tuning boxes swear by them, but have never tried a proper remap. The tuning box companies are very persuasive, and while they may be fine on your Montego Diesel, there's no way I'd fit one to a common rail diesel.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:13 PM
FordsR4Chavs
BANNED
BANNED

VAG diesels are one of the very best to remap. Revo software is what you want and the 1.9PD diesel responds exceptionally well. My previous Ibiza 1.9 PD had 300lb ft torque and was on Revo 1 software, the next stage would have taken it to around 350lb ft. It had no detrimental effect on the clutch, mpg was improved if driven lightly.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ive had 3 vag pd diesel cars 100, 130 and 150

The standard clutches are shite and dont last that long with standard power let alone turning it into an animal

id be looking at doing the clutch first then a remap or just dont bother and save a lot of cash as they are bloody good standard
Old 31-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

WE do loads and on 3 of my own cars,totally awesome the 140 tdi will see 190 hp and 350 lbft!!!!and still return between 36-40 mpg around town and 46 mpg on a run..
We do more tdi re maps than anything else..

cheers danny
Old 31-10-2010, 01:17 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by FordsR4Chavs
VAG diesels are one of the very best to remap. Revo software is what you want and the 1.9PD diesel responds exceptionally well. My previous Ibiza 1.9 PD had 300lb ft torque and was on Revo 1 software, the next stage would have taken it to around 350lb ft. It had no detrimental effect on the clutch, mpg was improved if driven lightly.
the 140, from what i can remember, is a 2.0 engine mate, well, that's what was on the back of the car in anycase
Old 31-10-2010, 01:37 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The 140 is indeed a 2.0 they do the option of 170 from the factory so the clutch will be fine and as standard up to the power
Old 31-10-2010, 02:53 PM
philpy-si
Regular Contributor

Remaps loads better than a tuning box, http://www.r-techpower.co.uk/ these guys are near you I think, they remapped my golf, absolutely transformed it. And the after sales service is second to none. have a look on golfgtiforum.co.uk loads of guys have used them and are well happy!
Old 31-10-2010, 05:45 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohn0
Also dont forget that VW gearbox are shit so anything over standard will only cause you problems.
total crap !

Revo software is what you want .
Originally Posted by Csm
The standard clutches are shite and dont last that long with standard power let alone turning it into an animal

id be looking at doing the clutch first then a remap or just dont bother and save a lot of cash as they are bloody good standard

fook me i read some fooking shite on here, classic examples above without a doubt.

A flash is the method off uploading the data to the ECU, it can be a completely new map/custom map, the data can and will be flashed into the storage device in the ecu as long as it has the medium to take a flash, if not it will be burned into the correct medium.

PF strikes again.

To the OP - go and have it done by a reputable dealer, tell the what you want before you book it in, if the your chosen tuner cannot accomodate what you need then find someone who can.

I have dealt with pretty much all forms of modified VW diesels, and Revo is definately not the best out there as stated above.

I have also ran my own PD engined vehicle for over 3 years, I had it remapped when I bought it, standard gearbox, standard clutch, standard DMF - never had an issue with it. The main reason, i stated how I wanted it to drive, and what I wanted from the map - I got all of those and retained 100% reliability.

Please do not plug in a generic box to the injector plug, your gains will be global and not breakpoint specific.

If you need any more info please ask.
Old 31-10-2010, 05:53 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

People to talk to here are Evo Chips Middlesex...

Bobby's Golf puts out 266hp (unsure of torque), from a PD150 Mk4 Golf (big turbo yes), and STILL retains 40-50mpg!! The car does 300-400odd miles a week if not more!

This guy is THE guy to talk to when it comes to tuning diesels!

Hes pretty far from you (west london), however, it might be worthwhile getting his opinion!

bassboy
Old 31-10-2010, 05:55 PM
BLACKCOS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Speak to lloyd on he he dose them in coventry but is mobile so can come to you .hes done my jeep crd and the dti and cant fault them after the work has been done drive much better and better on fuel
Old 31-10-2010, 06:03 PM
BANNED
BANNED

We are down by gatwick west sussex and will do you a before and after power graph on our dynodynamics rr and as markk says tell us what you want and we can deliver the whole job all in for Ł300..
My 3 cars have been done now for over 15k on one of them all std clutches and boxes etc with no probs!!

cheers danny
Old 31-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tuning box's are SHITE! Stay well clear, get a proper remap, its the best thing you can do to a turbo diesel engine, it completely changes the car! Get a proper remap though and not a cheapy Ebay Ł150 job.

All the cars i have remapped using the Evolution Chips software have been mega. Do it.
Old 31-10-2010, 06:11 PM
DAB
Rs500 DataBase Editor

Location: In the Karate Dojo , or updating the rs500 database
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my Mondeo st tdci done 18 months ago By Kenny @ Msd , no issues to date and am pleased with the difference ,money well spent imo.
Old 31-10-2010, 06:21 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Shorty
Tuning box's are SHITE! Stay well clear, get a proper remap, its the best thing you can do to a turbo diesel engine, it completely changes the car! Get a proper remap though and not a cheapy Ebay Ł150 job.

All the cars i have remapped using the Evolution Chips software have been mega. Do it.
Agree..the evolution software is all done via the dimsport genius witch is what we use
Awesome maps!!!

cheers danny
Old 31-10-2010, 06:54 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple rule here is you get what you pay for.... MSD evo map is backed with lifetime warranty, and makes a great improvement to any car.
Old 31-10-2010, 07:07 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

What the 'best' (most tuneable) TDI Mk4 golf to go for then?
Old 31-10-2010, 07:41 PM
FordsR4Chavs
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by markk
total crap !

fook me i read some fooking shite on here, classic examples above without a doubt.

A flash is the method off uploading the data to the ECU, it can be a completely new map/custom map, the data can and will be flashed into the storage device in the ecu as long as it has the medium to take a flash, if not it will be burned into the correct medium.

PF strikes again.

To the OP - go and have it done by a reputable dealer, tell the what you want before you book it in, if the your chosen tuner cannot accomodate what you need then find someone who can.

I have dealt with pretty much all forms of modified VW diesels, and Revo is definately not the best out there as stated above.

I have also ran my own PD engined vehicle for over 3 years, I had it remapped when I bought it, standard gearbox, standard clutch, standard DMF - never had an issue with it. The main reason, i stated how I wanted it to drive, and what I wanted from the map - I got all of those and retained 100% reliability.

Please do not plug in a generic box to the injector plug, your gains will be global and not breakpoint specific.

If you need any more info please ask.
'Fook' this 'fook' that, 'fooking shite' this 'fooking shite' that! Whats the matter with people like you? You really do have no idea so before spouting off 'fooking' cr%p, gather together proper info first. Another PF numpty strikes again..

Last edited by FordsR4Chavs; 31-10-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 31-10-2010, 08:09 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

'Fook' this 'fook' that, 'fooking shite' this 'fooking shite' that! Whats the matter with people like you? You really do have no idea so before spouting off 'fooking' cr%p, gather together proper info first. Another PF numpty strikes again..
What in the hell are you on about? Everything Markk has said is correct. Vag engines and vag gearboxes take remaps happily. You'll only get trouble if you go silly high with the torque, which I doubt would be a 'normal' remap a company would offer...
I'm sure you're still trying to troll on here...

Last edited by zetec-Sam; 31-10-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 31-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bigchez

Have a look here mate, these guys get great reviews

http://www.r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-vw-remap.htm
Old 31-10-2010, 10:11 PM
RS SHORTIE
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Give the guys at r-tech a call as they will adjust the map to accomadate your needs.

Had my golf done there and the map is superb,with smooth power to the redline.Even taking my little olop tdi up there for a remap next month.
Old 31-10-2010, 10:16 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

but with the plug n play tuning box you get 3 different settings and if you ever want it back to standard then unplug it or if you want a bit more after a while then up the setting

you much more for your money with the box and its only 1 plug

fit it in mins

tuning boxes are the biggest bodge ever all they do is lie to the ecu about what readings the airflow meter is reading with no accounting for proper fuelling and are in no way better than a proper remap

Quick Reply: Diesel remaps - worth it?