General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Land Rover Discoverys

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover Discoverys

Are they a wise buy? Would have around 3-4k and would get a diesel.

Basically, are they going to fall to bits and cost me a fortune?

How much are tyres, and service parts and the like?

Cheers!
Old 22-10-2010, 11:48 AM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that is TD5 money....

Good all round cars imho....i liked the one i had a while back....

VERY practical and user friendly.
Old 22-10-2010, 11:49 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

cab be rusty buggers though, and the td5 engine is not as reliable as the old 300tdi was, airbag suspension can give problems too.
Old 22-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Rab

Cheers Tiff, whats the running costs like? Mental? Or reasonable?
Old 22-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Rab

So, go for a low mile 300tdi as opposed to a TD5?
Old 22-10-2010, 11:52 AM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Cheap enough to run tbh.....for what they are.

Resale value is always good on these IF they are looked after
Old 22-10-2010, 11:52 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by Rab
So, go for a low mile 300tdi as opposed to a TD5?
the 300tdi ones are a bit old hat now though so its prob six and two threes, just bare in mind landrovers arent renowned for reliability and gen parts can be very dear. If your handy with a set of spanners most things can be fixed diy with pattern parts.
Old 22-10-2010, 11:56 AM
saphlover
PassionFord Post Troll

I didnt think you could get a TD5 for that money, I was thinking 300Tdi myself.

Having said that the last time I was looking at Discovery's was ages ago.
Old 22-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Rab

Sounds fine to me.

All this to garuntee blow jobs for another few years eh
Old 22-10-2010, 12:13 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Personally I'd be thinking more along the lines of something jap myself,the discos are great off road but they can be a bit boat like on road,although there are mods you can do.

Weaknesses are gearboxes,rust,alloy corrosion,electrics,poor interior trim quality and general build.

Up to you really.I've got an LPG grand Cherokee,the facelift one that runs til 2005 on a 2000my and it's not a bad alternative,much nicer cabin etc and quite good road manners although still a bit boaty.mechanics are tough and they do go anywhere to be honest although even on gas I can only get about 28-30mpg average but when you take the petrol to start it into account it's going to be more like 25mpg equivalent.

Should get a derv one for about £4k although don't ever take it to jeep for work as the repair bills from them can be frightening!!
Old 22-10-2010, 12:17 PM
mk2 cossie
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

td5 is juicy to run, has fuel pressure regulator leaks, wiring loom in the heads break down, air suspension is shite and generally not that much cop to drive either

300tdi isnt that much slower tho, nicer drive and much better on fuel. but they do suffer with tin worm round the rear wheel arches (inner and the bit behind the door shuts), boot floor and the front inner wings, and brake pipes seem to rot out nicely from front to back.

but id go for a 300 over the td5 any day, and they have less leccy crap to go wrong too
Old 22-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

I've been looking at 4x4's recently, a couple of mates have 'em and it'd be a laugh going out with them off roading. Plus this winter's forecast to be shite again!!

The 300tdi you say........ Hmmmmm.
Old 22-10-2010, 12:44 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

get a defender lol
Old 22-10-2010, 01:19 PM
gorillasnot
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Defenders are bloody expensive for what you get, you only need a defender if you absolutely postively have to drive where nothing else can, and even then a slightly modded disco will follow it!

Ive got a 1995 disco 300tdi, bought for £450 through salvage (small interior fire around the cigarette lighter), i have clocked up over 10k in it since march without touching it (serviced it when i bought it)

It took me and a mate to spain on a road trip holiday, has been used and abused (it doubles up as my van for work), been off road, engine has been swimming twice and it has never grumbled, just keeps going, easily the most reliable car ive had

Bit juicy on fuel but at the end of the day its a 2 ton 4x4, its never going to be cheap!

Ryan
Old 22-10-2010, 01:26 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Buy a 1998 R-plate ( last of the coil spring before airbag ) But get a 3.9v8 on lpg as they are loads cheaper to run than a derv.......

Just so happens i have a r plate 3.9v8 on lpg es plus with full electric leather twin electric sunroofs, multichanger, factory subs in back door...ect.ect......and a have just bought a new jeep to replace it......lol

Not a for sale post as i would need to be a gold member for that and i need to put a full years mot on it anyhow before i can sell it....lol
Old 22-10-2010, 01:28 PM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't get a decent td5 for 3-4k and if it does go wrong parts are expensive. I'd say 5k plus for a half decent td5. I've got a 300 tdi great reliable old bus but not something to look flash in they are looking there age.
Old 22-10-2010, 01:59 PM
gorillasnot

Originally Posted by lawnsy
Buy a 1998 R-plate ( last of the coil spring before airbag ) But get a 3.9v8 on lpg as they are loads cheaper to run than a derv.......

Just so happens i have a r plate 3.9v8 on lpg es plus with full electric leather twin electric sunroofs, multichanger, factory subs in back door...ect.ect......and a have just bought a new jeep to replace it......lol

Not a for sale post as i would need to be a gold member for that and i need to put a full years mot on it anyhow before i can sell it....lol
Ive had both, about the same running costs to be honest, although if i had to buy another then i would probably swing for the petrol on lpg with an auto box, just for the laid back one hand on steering wheel, other hand scratching yer balls driving style

Ryan
Old 22-10-2010, 03:05 PM
the mk1 kid

My parents have had disco's for years, from their first L platers to the D3 they have now, and although they had a few problems over the years, i dont remember any 'breaking down' as it were. One did great us with a pool of oil on the drive one morning, but i cant for the life of me remember what caused it, and despite any problems we'd never change to another 4x4.

I regularly pinch their 110 (see below if the pictures work) for building duties or, in this case recovering my dads old Dutton from the barn. I think its a 300, but i'm not sure - to be honest besides fitting a new fuel tank, snorkel and a set of glow plugs i've never had to touch it, well other than to replace the headlight bulbs after a bit of 'swimming', but that was my fault

They are slow, a little thirsty and handle like boats, but some how you just have to love them!

Tom
Old 22-10-2010, 03:43 PM
gorillasnot

Never had a problem with the handling on mine to be honest, ok its not car like but i dont think i can say its ever caught me out!

Ryan
Old 22-10-2010, 03:48 PM
RS-Leigh

I had a 300tdi

They are slow, sloppy,noisy and you get around 24mpg.
The electrics are fucking awful, dash lights fail, stereo controls fail.
Sunroofs leak and get under the carpet in the footwells and then rot the floor. heater matrixs leak begind the dash and cause electric issues.
Rear boot floors are notorious for rusting, you must check under the carpet before you buy. Sills rust as bad as the boot, inner wings rust at the bottom where they all collect water. Door handle springs snap inside and then you cant open the doors, very common.
Cruise control is always an issue as the hoses perish.

The best buys are the basic models, ie, no heated seats, no electric seats and no sunroofs.

Best and cheapest mods are, decat downpipe @20, and bypass the EGR £20. You get more power and better mpg

Apart from that...its all good

Regards

Leigh
Old 22-10-2010, 05:34 PM
paddyrs

i had a td5 and it was a good jeep power is fine drive really nice better than the disco 1. the air susppension dose go but the conversion is only £80 and not hard to put in
Old 22-10-2010, 05:44 PM
BLACKCOS

Talking

Originally Posted by vaughant
Personally I'd be thinking more along the lines of something jap myself,the discos are great off road but they can be a bit boat like on road,although there are mods you can do.

Weaknesses are gearboxes,rust,alloy corrosion,electrics,poor interior trim quality and general build.

Up to you really.I've got an LPG grand Cherokee,the facelift one that runs til 2005 on a 2000my and it's not a bad alternative,much nicer cabin etc and quite good road manners although still a bit boaty.mechanics are tough and they do go anywhere to be honest although even on gas I can only get about 28-30mpg average but when you take the petrol to start it into account it's going to be more like 25mpg equivalent.

Should get a derv one for about £4k although don't ever take it to jeep for work as the repair bills from them can be frightening!!
I went for a grand cherokee the 2.7 crd one with the merc engine got it remapped by lloyd on here thing flys and good on desiel as well. Fully loaded parts ar cheap as well.
Old 23-10-2010, 04:25 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheap parts on a jeep? a mate had a 2000 grand cherokee, at the time everything was main dealer only as it was only five years old with about 60k miles. 4.7v8 iirc. anyways, it was crap on fuel, not great to drive, not that quick, steering box went and was close to a grand just for the part, wing mirror got knocked off which was another £300. it was comfortable, but that was about it really.

i had a 95 3.9 auto discovery, best mod i ever did was poly arb bushes. did about 8k miles in that with no real fault. it had a few oil leaks, but don't they all? the spring went in the door lock, but it's only about a pound for a new spring and not that hard to fit, cruise control always worked sun roof didn't leak.

I totally loved that car - especially with the full 3" stainless exhaust - but it was nasty on fuel, 12mpg average. worse when towing. When i was reserching buying one i heard figures banded about 10-15mpg and thought nah bollocks no car can be that bad, but honestly yes, they can! It's unlikely you will ever see above 15mpg.

I bought it on 104k miles for £770 with no history, nine months mot, sold it after i had front ended it quite badly two years later for £700 with 113k on the clock!

My mate had a disco2 td5, and it drove so much better than mine in everyway. in my opinion the disco2 is streets ahead the 300/3.9.
However, the disco2 does have issues, and for your budget i'd suggest you'd end up with one with alot of issues. A 5k budget would be more relistic if you want something sub100k and in good condition imho.

An alternative however within your budget could be the p38 range rover. £3-4k would get you a nice tidy 2.5td auto with all the toys and history.
Old 23-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mk2 cossie
td5 is juicy to run, has fuel pressure regulator leaks, wiring loom in the heads break down, air suspension is shite and generally not that much cop to drive either

300tdi isnt that much slower tho, nicer drive and much better on fuel. but they do suffer with tin worm round the rear wheel arches (inner and the bit behind the door shuts), boot floor and the front inner wings, and brake pipes seem to rot out nicely from front to back.

but id go for a 300 over the td5 any day, and they have less leccy crap to go wrong too
Rofl @ 300tdis being better to drive

i break a large number of disco 1 and 2,s so have driven lots....a good td5 is amuch nicer drive than a 300tdi, but as somone has said the td5 is a much more complex machine so more to go wrong, suspension isnt an issue just whip the airbags off and put it on coils,

the td5 have serious rust issues with the chassis so bear that in mind when going to look at one, i currently have 6 td5,s i,m breaking so spares isnt an issue for you rab

if you are looking at spending 3-4k you will get a peach of a td5 for that if you spend a bit of time looking

my mrs was running a td5es with 212k on the clock for a few months with no problems at all...until the clutch packed up so i broke it up

they are easy enough to work on too
Old 23-10-2010, 09:28 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What happened to the evo 4 you gimp?
Old 23-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Rab

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
What happened to the evo 4 you gimp?

This is obviously not for me pal What the fuck would I do with a big fucking 4x4? This is for blowjobs

Kev, cheers for the info mate! I don't care which one drives best, I have no intention of driving the thing. I just want something that won't fuck up on her and that she can be all 'woman in a 4x4' in.........
Old 23-10-2010, 10:28 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahhhhhhh, I getcha!

where you been hiding anyway you cunt?
Old 23-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well if you go for a disco 1 watch what you buy as they are total rotboxes, but the chassis tends to be ok on them, i weighed in around 14 disco,s i had broken up earlier this year and the majority were 1995 and 1996,s and they were all rotters

give me a shout if you need any more info
Old 23-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Rab

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
Ahhhhhhh, I getcha!

where you been hiding anyway you cunt?

Somalia......... Was fucking shit.

Home now mate!
Old 23-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Rab

Originally Posted by Kevin Sharp
well if you go for a disco 1 watch what you buy as they are total rotboxes, but the chassis tends to be ok on them, i weighed in around 14 disco,s i had broken up earlier this year and the majority were 1995 and 1996,s and they were all rotters

give me a shout if you need any more info

Kev, thanks mate! Thats some spot on advice!