General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is Gareth Barry the most over rated player ever to play for england?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Gareth Barry the most over rated player ever to play for england?

fat, slow not very good at defending at terrible in attack, so slow and predictable?

FUCKIN SICK
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rooney is, been saying it for years
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Escy

Yes and you've been looking a fool for years. He practically carried us to the World cup with all his goals and assists, about time the rest mucked in.

Barry should be dropped IMO, agree with Brannen (to an extent), younger people would do a better or as good job as him. Huddlestone, Cattermole, anyone really. Hargreaves was the one for England but sadly he's now made of glass.

Last edited by skeg; 12-10-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 PM
RS2000 Jay
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Couldnt agree more.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
FUCKIN SICK
How much did you lose?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

fat, slow not very good at defending at terrible in attack, so slow and predictable?

FUCKIN SICK
and to think Rafa Benitez wanted to get rid of Xabi Alonso in favour of Gareth Barry

the whole English team are shocking IMO; dont even look forward to watching them anymore.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The whole England team are fucking over-rated underachievers at national level!

I watched the scotland game in the pub tonight, a load of English lads came and joined us at half time as they said they'd rather watch a team with a bit of heart play football.

Said the England team didn't look interested one bit, major lack of motivation. On paper England do have a good squad but they dont want it anymore Blame Capello, blame big wages, blame too much media pressure, whatever the problem is, they need to sort it asap! Laughing stock.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Escy

Originally Posted by skeg
Yes and you've been looking a fool for years.
I looked a real fool saying that before the world cup as he went on and had a stormer, didn't he?

Why is he 1st name on the England team sheet still? Not played for about a month, only scored 1 goal this season (a penalty). Dropping him wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sean Wright Phillips is for me
Old 12-10-2010, 09:28 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
and to think Rafa Benitez wanted to get rid of Xabi Alonso in favour of Gareth Barry
"In Rafa we trust"

the whole English team are shocking IMO; dont even look forward to watching them anymore.
England have always been a long ball team, lumping it up top to the big man and the papers/media have always had us believing we're better than we are because we're England, invented the game, won in '66, have the Premier league and big clubs, players etc. Even tonight the commentators and Townsend we're desperate to spin it negative because we didn't win. Andy was banging on about "England must win well tonight". Why? Three points is three points.........or a point in this case.

Still, I thought it was shocking how loads booed them tonight after a draw. Yes it was at home but they are the top team on 9 points prior and its not like we didn't go forward or have chances. We ain't good enough to walk over teams without even turning up like some expect, rank or not, no one is.

We're English though, you get behind the team and hope to be in the Euro or WC. Reckon we'll qualify, just hope the press don't start up giving us the favourites tag or golden generation et all.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

"In Rafa we trust"

England have always been a long ball team, lumping it up top to the big man and the papers/media have always had us believing we're better than we are because we're England, invented the game, won in '66, have the Premier league and big clubs, players etc. Even tonight the commentators and Townsend we're desperate to spin it negative because we didn't win. Andy was banging on about "England must win well tonight". Why? Three points is three points.........or a point in this case.

Still, I thought it was shocking how loads booed them tonight after a draw. Yes it was at home but they are the top team on 9 points prior and its not like we didn't go forward or have chances. We ain't good enough to walk over teams without even turning up like some expect, rank or not, no one is.

We're English though, you get behind the team and hope to be in the Euro or WC. Reckon we'll qualify, just hope the press don't start up giving us the favourites tag or golden generation et all.
of course we will qualify; but its the same old shit every time. To many excuses for far too long, i can never see us winning a major tournment in the next 10 years. too many English fans with blinkers on who think otherwise.

i think the crowd had every right to boo the team, surely you cant honestly say you're pleased with that result?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Michael rickets?Dennis wise?Carlton palmer?emile heskey?
Robert green?Paul Robinson?Scott Carson?

For a side with so many good players to choose from,theyve picked some duds over the years.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

To many excuses for far too long, i can never see us winning a major tournment in the next 10 years. too many English fans with blinkers on who think otherwise.
Agree on 10 years. Poland/Ukr 2012, Brazil 2014, Euro 2016, WC 2018? No chance. Just hope we're there and then wish for the best, good performances or some luck or something.

i think the crowd had every right to boo the team, surely you cant honestly say you're pleased with that result?
Appreciate that people pay lots for tickets and travel to see them but its not going to do the team any good is it. Its just negativity bread mainly from the media who tell us we should own them 3-0 or more.

Am I happy with the result? Not especially but we drew, its not the end of the world is it. You don't see United fans booing the team like that after draws. Time to get real, we can't storm the group every time or storm the Euro/WC.

You watch how the rip into us in the papers etc tomorrow and there's still games to be played.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

we cant even beat montenegro

shows how pathetic we really are as a football nation.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Robski
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

rooney was always an overated pikey....and all his off field antics only confirm what a overated and unprofessional twat he is.........i'm not a utd fan,but he will never be in the giggs/scholes league...for MANY a reasons!....oh and by the way,i reckon 99% of most people have NO IDEA what the names of giggs and scholes wives are!....hmmm funny that!....
real professionalisum got killed off by OK and Hello magazines i guess!
so....i take it england lost?....i stopped watching them years ago....so i don't know the result,but judging by the posts it dont look good!

although judging from an earlier 'guardian' podcast,the oppostion were not walk overs by any means...

even if england get through the group stage,we won't do shit all.....we havent won jack shit for over 40 years....and i wonder why!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the top, and bottom of it, for years in the premiership, we have bought, not bred, and now, its starting to catch up with us
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Robski

oh and i'm not just slating rooney....the whole lot are overated players that have been given the tag of "world class" players by the same press that then take them down....gotta love the english tabloids,whatever you say they are consistant
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 PM
lil_me
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Over rated and if they can't even bring themselves to sing the national anthem they shouldn't even be there! So little is invested in young British players and too many 'local' teams just want to import talent instead. Until that changes, England doesn't have a hope.

Last edited by lil_me; 12-10-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Robski

yeah thats another thing....some don't even sing the national anthem...scandalous IMHO
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 PM
wrcjuha
BANNED
BANNED

Default Typical blinkered rag

"In Rafa we trust"

That's rich, coming from the England Haters of Sold Trafford!

I presume your the armchair type, as if you went, you would know of all the anti England songs sung every week by the rags. Must be the influence of Taggart eh?

Just Google Man United songs and Go on the Pride Of Manchester website as all the anti England stuff you sing is proudly listed. Republic of Mancunia Who are you lot trying to kid FFS.

The irony in you lauding up a point, is laughable ! However that seems a good result for your team at the moment. I think that flag needs changing though, Arrogant = Yes, but Better? Last time I checked Chelsea were Current Champions and City were even 2nd! Maybe put Titanic on your flag eh?
Old 13-10-2010, 01:13 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I looked a real fool saying that before the world cup as he went on and had a stormer, didn't he?

Why is he 1st name on the England team sheet still? Not played for about a month, only scored 1 goal this season (a penalty). Dropping him wouldn't hurt.
Cant argue with that.
Old 13-10-2010, 01:19 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care what anyone says, the biggest problem is a total lack of desire and heart from the players, and a manager that stifles creation.

Look at the England team under Bobby Robson, players crying when they knew they were out of the final if they made it, raw determination and passion. Playing for Enland meant somthing then, now it is all about club football, no one wants to risk getting injured "only" playing for thier country, the amount of tackles players jumped out of tonight was shocking..
Old 13-10-2010, 02:08 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
I don't care what anyone says, the biggest problem is a total lack of desire and heart from the players, and a manager that stifles creation.

Look at the England team under Bobby Robson, players crying when they knew they were out of the final if they made it, raw determination and passion. Playing for Enland meant somthing then, now it is all about club football, no one wants to risk getting injured "only" playing for thier country, the amount of tackles players jumped out of tonight was shocking..
as you say it's the manager, fucking hell el tel did shit in reality but everyone was behind him. Crapelo should be shot
Old 13-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Rooney is so over rated. He's useless lately. Gerrard as usual whipped some lovely balls in, only to see rooney do absolutely nothing with them, apart from give it away. Gerrard must have thought he was.playing in his Liverpool side.again... lol
Old 13-10-2010, 06:52 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only realistic chance we have of winning a trophy is if Jose Mourhino is in charge of England. He is the only man with the mentality of winning, and the bollocks to drop a player who is shit. I only watched 20 mins of the first half and thought Ashley Young played out of his skin and wouldn't surprise me if he was man of the match. Rooney is still not firing on all cylinders and cleary Fergie dropping him hasn't changed much, and unless Van Derr Vaart play's for England, long ball's to crouchie ain't gonna be successful.
Old 13-10-2010, 08:13 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

rooney should stick to granny knobbing as he is shit in a england shirt
Old 13-10-2010, 09:09 AM
bbsheppo
Regular Contributor

FUCKIN SICK
Any central midfielder who has only got one foot is a liability.

Originally Posted by p.cressie
Sean Wright Phillips is for me
Agreed, I've always said he's a championship player, which he proved when he went to chelsea.
Originally Posted by Fiddy
the top, and bottom of it, for years in the premiership, we have bought, not bred, and now, its starting to catch up with us
The current fundamental problem in English football.
Yes and you've been looking a fool for years. He practically carried us to the World cup with all his goals and assists, about time the rest mucked in.

Barry should be dropped IMO, agree with Brannen (to an extent), younger people would do a better or as good job as him. Huddlestone, Cattermole, anyone really. Hargreaves was the one for England but sadly he's now made of glass.
I'm a united fan but you really are dreaming. Its exactly the same with the united squad as the england squad, take the foreign players out and lets see how good rooney is then.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:15 AM
joffy
SLOW LEARNER

Two words, theo walcott
Old 13-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Lo@der
Passionford Thread Killer

Would this thread of been posted had Barry scored with that shot on his weak foot last night ????

I doubt it , there is allways a scape goat isnt there.
Old 13-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Lo@der
Passionford Thread Killer

They set out to hold us to a draw and were only lucky to have a pop that hit the bar. As top of the group they will be quite happy with 1 point, just look at how they played. 90% of the game with 9 or 10 men back in their own half with two man marking on our danger players.
Old 13-10-2010, 11:47 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

england are not a force thesedays and lack fighting spirit and passion
Old 13-10-2010, 01:27 PM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Barry was shit last night, but then so was most of them!! More worrying for me, is the fact that he pulled young Jack Wiltshire out of the u21 game, and left him on the bench when Barry was off the pace!! The u21's could really have done with Wiltshire yesterday, i watched the game and we was over run in midfield and had no creativity!! Amazed he wasnt given a game!!

Capello has to go in my eyes, or we'l have the same situation that the French had at the World Cup!! Domenech or whatever his name is, the fans didnt like him, the players ovbiously didnt, and he knew he was goin so it didnt matter what happened!! I think Capello already has that in his mind!!

Why bring Kevin Davies into the squad?? His 33, shite, and has nearly as many yellow cards as he has goals, surely he should have taken a punt on Andy Carroll?? His young, big, strong and as scored goals this season!! Capello tried to get Heskey out of retirement, that alone should be a sackable offence!!

He started the game with Johnson and Young on the wings, but both playing on there weaker foot!! Easy to defend if you have that many people around the ball!! Soon as they come inside onto there stronger foot there crowed out, and they wont hit the byline and cross because they will be on there weaker foot!! Whats the point in playing that freak Crouch if you dont cross?? Why not swap the lads over for 20mins, see how it pans out, give the full back something different to think about!!

All the pople Rooney bashing need to open there eyes!! He carried Utd last season and is a awesome centre foward!! Granted he hasnt been on fire this season, no doubt the off field antics have effected him!! He should take a leaf out of John Terrys book!! When the JT 'scandal' broke, that afteroon he scored the winner for Chelsea at Burnley!! But slating him isnt going to help, he will soon regain his form and tear up premiership defences again, form is temporary, class is permanent!! And thats coming from a Chelsea fan....
Old 13-10-2010, 01:29 PM
gazm
PassionFord Regular

tbh i was watching most of the scotland game so much more passion and fire in the players , fans , at the start you should have heard the national anthem ! and all the players were singing their hearts out... even tho they dont win a great deal they are so up for it ...which is what you want to see and the final score says it all...they almost done the world champions... ive followed England for years and after the world cup debarcle ive just lost interest in em... its the same old same old.. best bit of the game Montenegro shot off the bar.. what if it had been two inches lower ?
Old 13-10-2010, 01:37 PM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If it would have been 2 inches lower we'd have lost

Cant really compare Scotland, they were shocking over the weekend, went into a game with 6 midfielders, wtf Ovbiously they upped there game last night as they were playing the World Champions and didnt wanna get embarassed on there home soil
Old 13-10-2010, 03:08 PM
RobL

i watched the scotland game instead
england v montenegro was allways going to be a dire game,they aint a bad team for a start and theyre coming here for the draw, 11 men behind the ball bullshit and we havent got the creativity or imagination in that team to break such a team down,we usually play better against teams who are willing have a go
Old 13-10-2010, 04:17 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
we cant even beat montenegro

shows how pathetic we really are as a football nation.

And that attitude is one of the many problems we have, people DEMAND/EXPECT us to thrash a team with 9 points from 3 games 5-0 at home in Euro qualifiers. These are proper games no matter who against.

Originally Posted by Robski
so....i take it england lost?....i stopped watching them years ago....so i don't know the result,but judging by the posts it dont look good!
No we didn't lose but the papers and pundits will make it out like we have, always the same. Its not the end of the world.

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Good point, one of the many many problems England and the FA have. We have one of the fewest pools of players to choose compared to some and low on coach numbers too.

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Not debating your point about passion or not BUT in 1990 when we supposedly did brilliant and keep reliving the tale, we made the semi final by topping the group with FOUR points, less than we got at South Africa, beating Belgium 1-0 in extra time, then beating Cameroon 3-2 before we went out to Germany, a big nation, as per usual. And (yes I know who we had in the group stage).

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
as you say it's the manager, fucking hell el tel did shit in reality but everyone was behind him. Crapelo should be shot
Did McClaren or Sven etc do any better? Yet another manager won't solve anything, not enough anyway. Not Fergie, not Jose.

Originally Posted by Westy
Rooney is so over rated. He's useless lately. Gerrard as usual whipped some lovely balls in, only to see rooney do absolutely nothing with them, apart from give it away. Gerrard must have thought he was.playing in his Liverpool side.again... lol
Nice to see you can forget your club ties in all of this.
Old 13-10-2010, 04:22 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wrcjuha
That's rich, coming from the England Haters of Sold Trafford!

I presume your the armchair type, as if you went, you would know of all the anti England songs sung every week by the rags. Must be the influence of Taggart eh?

Just Google Man United songs and Go on the Pride Of Manchester website as all the anti England stuff you sing is proudly listed. Republic of Mancunia Who are you lot trying to kid FFS.

The irony in you lauding up a point, is laughable ! However that seems a good result for your team at the moment. I think that flag needs changing though, Arrogant = Yes, but Better? Last time I checked Chelsea were Current Champions and City were even 2nd! Maybe put Titanic on your flag eh?

I don't need to google my own clubs songs thanks all the same but yes you're right, many United fans do hate or have had enough of England. I however follow both and won't boo my country or sing those songs.

Same with SOME England fans singing anti United stuff or booing their rival players like how Lampard always gets booed by some at Wembley. I've been in in the underground on the way to Wembley and heard everyone singing "stand up if you hate man u", to which everyone I was with just looked at me and laughed. I just ignore it myself.

Oh and must say you sound awfully like someone we once knew on here, welcome back if so................. look forward to good times.
Old 13-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Escy

Not debating your point about passion or not BUT in 1990 when we supposedly did brilliant and keep reliving the tale, we made the semi final by topping the group with FOUR points, less than we got at South Africa, beating Belgium 1-0 in extra time, then beating Cameroon 3-2 before we went out to Germany, a big nation, as per usual. And (yes I know who we had in the group stage).
You forgot how the players were disrespectful/dismissive at the start of the Cameroon game (laughing and joking in the tunnel before the game) and then had to cheat their way to a result (2 Gary Lineker dives)
Old 13-10-2010, 04:50 PM
wrcjuha
BANNED
BANNED

Default True to form, blinkered Rag

I don't need to google my own clubs songs thanks all the same but yes you're right, many United fans do hate or have had enough of England. I however follow both and won't boo my country or sing those songs.

Same with SOME England fans singing anti United stuff or booing their rival players like how Lampard always gets booed by some at Wembley. I've been in in the underground on the way to Wembley and heard everyone singing "stand up if you hate man u", to which everyone I was with just looked at me and laughed. I just ignore it myself.

Oh and must say you sound awfully like someone we once knew on here, welcome back if so................. look forward to good times.

Well nice to know you accepted I was right on one of my points. However your true colours are shown by you ignoring the whole paragraph of points at the bottom of my comments.

But your clearly a typical Rag, as I have noticed from previous threads, the truth hurts sometimes, but you will have to start getting used to it me thinks!

And your clearly mistaken as usual, as I may sound like someone 'you' knew from here? But I can assure you, I am not whoever you think I am.

You don't get a lot right do you pal?

Quick Reply: Is Gareth Barry the most over rated player ever to play for england?