General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

3 points for underinflated tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default 3 points for underinflated tyres?

mate's just called me to see if this is true or not as that's what he's got a ticket for

and not for having 6 people in his car

is it worth arguing the points?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would for that, as they have to prove they were underinflated which how will they do
Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to right tbh!! a flat tyre is as unsafe as a bald tyre IMO the amount of cars we get come through the work shop with 10-15psi in the tyres and the side walls have calapsed/broken apart due to this. a tyre in this state is just waiting to blow out!! and with 6 people in the car?? what was he thinking?? im gessing from the way you have said it the car is not ment to take 6 people?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with the above really it isnt safe and i know i wouldnt be happy if i got crashed into ect because someone had there tyres flat
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 PM
white2lsr
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

If they didnt take and record the pressures with whitnesses I would be going to court with it.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

wether his tyres were underflated or not is subject to different interpretation.

the wording of the law will need to be consulted to see if they can do someone for it and issue 3 points.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ns/DG_10022425

see it shows the offence to be "Using a vehicle with defective tyre(s)". now is a tyre underinflated defective per se?? physically it is not defective but does the definition for legal purposes show that "defective" has to include aspects as air in the tyre??

you need a solicitor if you want to win that one!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Was the copper a authorised vehicle examiner ?, normal plod are allowed to test certain things, tyre pressures is NOT one of them.
tabetha
Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

How Do I Make Sure my Tyres Are up to Scratch?

The law is quite specific when it comes to tyres, but it’s still an offence that catches out many drivers each year. You must not use a motor vehicle or trailer that has any of the following defects:
  • Tyres that don’t fit properly or are unsuitable for use of the vehicle
  • Tyres that are unsuitable when compared to tyres on the other wheels (for example: In the UK it is illegal, not to mention dangerous, to mix radial ply and cross ply tyres on the same axle or to have radial ply tyres on the front axle and cross ply tyres on the rear axle. Exceptions can be made for emergency situations but should be avoided wherever possible.)
  • It has a tyre that is not so inflated as to make it suitable for the use the vehicle is being put to
  • It has a tyre that has a cut of more than 25 mm or 10 % of its section width
  • It has a lump tear or bulge due to structure failure
  • It has a tyre with exposed cord
  • The base of the groove or thread pattern is not clearly visible;
  • The tread depth falls below the legal minimum tread depth for car and similar tyres in the UK and Europe which is 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising the central three quarters of the breadth of tread and round the entire other circumference of the tyre.
  • The tyre is not maintained in such a condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or the trailer is being put or has a defect which might cause damage to the surface of the road or to persons in the vehicle or on the road.

AND it would appaer it's tyre safe Month this month,

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety-.../introduction/

Last edited by focusv8; 09-10-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

like tabetha said need to be a proper vehicle examiner no normal plod can check it
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

all i know is what i've been told

not got the rap sheet in front of me so can't say what's what, but underinflated tyres is what i've been told
Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
GSM joe

Wot aload of bollocks just another money spinner who wants to drive around and risk a punchure in ther car so they break down no one, so why not just tell you and send you on your way fookin tossers
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sounds bollox to me,underinflated tyres aren't even an Mot fail,all it suggests is that it MAY affect the brake test reading.

Copper sounds totally pedantic tbh,does sound a bit dojjatron jackanory as well mind!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:54 AM
youngster26
Virgin

Good points, was on the scene at the time and the coppers let him off on the overloaded vehicle and issued him with an endorsement for underflated tyre, copper used psi checker and it was 10psi, matey said he didnt know of the tyre but admitted he curbed it... never heard of someone getting 3 points for an unforseen incident and the tyres were in good condition :S think the dude was playing good samaritan, just unlucky that there was a flat
Old 10-10-2010, 02:02 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by youngster26
Good points, was on the scene at the time and the coppers let him off on the overloaded vehicle and issued him with an endorsement for underflated tyre, copper used psi checker and it was 10psi, matey said he didnt know of the tyre but admitted he curbed it... never heard of someone getting 3 points for an unforseen incident and the tyres were in good condition :S think the dude was playing good samaritan, just unlucky that there was a flat
cant understand any of that?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Defective vehicle?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

what about driving with no air in your runflats? is that illegal too? surley is not illegal to have a flat tyre if its only just happened, change to the spare and away you go.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

If he thinks he is innocent, take it to court.

But if the tyre was flat and the car overloaded. What the fuck does he expect ? A pat on the back and box of chocolates ?

Driving on a severely underinflated tyre is probably more dangerous than a half bald tyre depending on circumstances. Especially with an overloaded vehicle.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If he thinks he is innocent, take it to court.

But if the tyre was flat and the car overloaded. What the fuck does he expect ? A pat on the back and box of chocolates ?

Driving on a severely underinflated tyre is probably more dangerous than a half bald tyre depending on circumstances. Especially with an overloaded vehicle.
Sometimes your irish wit sums it up Stevie . He will get done end of, going to court will mean a higher fine & more points. Are you saying the police got the reading wrong so may i ask what reading did the driver take. Why do people always blame the police or the law its the driver thats at fault here & he should take the wrap & shut up. Had it been a tyre designed to run-flat the police would not have issued a ticket end of.
Despite what the young punters on here think the average policeman is a tad brighter than the people makeing such stupid comments on this thread .
Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Some very basic points of law, needed to be be met for evidential reasons acceptable to a court.
Was the pressure gauge HOME OFFICE certified with an up to date certificate, has the policeman got the necessary qualifications to use that piece of equipment, these are questions which will quickly get the case chucked/charge dropped.
Personally I think ROD gives them more credit that is due, yes there are some ace plod, but there are a fair number of jumped up wannabes looking for easy hits, who forget the set of rules/LAW can work against them also if they make up their own.
Speaking as a "young un" of 45 years who just conducted his own defence case of dangerous driving against norfolk plod, who even had VIDEO evidence and either 11 or 13(I forget) police witnesses, and managed to get the case chucked out in CROWN COURT in less than 15 minutes, wasting around Ł60K in 11 months they had to prepare the case VERY badly.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 10-10-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
Was the pressure gauge HOME OFFICE certified with an up to date certificate, has the policeman got the necessary qualifications to use that piece of equipment, these are questions which will quickly get the case chucked/charge dropped.
tabetha
Possible. But often in the eyes of the law, an officers opinion can be enough to secure a conviction. Especially if there is another officer with the same opinion to back him up.

Works for excessive noise, excessive speed, dangerous/reckless driving etc, disorderly behaviour etc.

Sometimes they shouldnt be allowed an opinion though as many are dirty lying cunts.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MadRod
Despite what the young punters on here think the average policeman is a tad brighter than the people makeing such stupid comments on this thread
Umm,did you read my thread on police interceptors about the police advice on taxing a vehicle?wouldnt say their the brightest of people myself,the good ones usually get fast tracked into CID etc.

HOWEVER,your bang on IMHO about what happened,pretty obvious the cops decided that they were going to do him for a flat tyre rather than the bigger offence of driving overloaded.......or it's in the dojjatrons mind!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Elwood
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Some very basic points of law, needed to be be met for evidential reasons acceptable to a court.
Was the pressure gauge Home Office certified with an up to date certificate, has the police constable got the necessary qualifications to use that piece of equipment, these are questions which will quickly get the case chucked/charge dropped.
You're doing it again. Giving out bad advice regarding legal matters.

1. The officers likely to check tyres for pressure/construction etc are going to have the correct equipment. Normal response officers are generally too busy dealing with people unable to sort out their own lives and who are vying for a place on Jeremy Kyle.

2. How much qualification does it need to place a guage onto a tyre valve and read the pressure?

You can argue the points of law all day long - I can only imagine that Dojj's friend was stopped because the tyre was grossly underinflated to begin with, so much so that it drew masses of attention to itself.

An under/over inflated tyre is just as dangerous as a bald tyre. A lot of people are forever quibbling being pulled up on the state of their vehicles, and a large degree of them know their vehicle is illegal - how long before it finally comes back to bite them in the ass?

I'm a serving officer, so Dojj, if your friend wishes to contest it, then it's his decision whether or not he wants to seek legal advice. If he's been issued an FPN, then he needs to either elect for a trial or agree with the ticket in 28 days. Don't ignore it otherwise a summons will land on his doorstep.

Anyway, what kind of vehicle was he driving to have 6 people in the car? If it's an MPV, then what's the problem?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking as a "young un" of 45 years who just conducted his own defence case of dangerous driving against norfolk plod, who even had VIDEO evidence and either 11 or 13(I forget) police witnesses, and managed to get the case chucked out in CROWN COURT in less than 15 minutes, wasting around Ł60K in 11 months they had to prepare the case VERY badly.
tabetha
I was waiting for you to mention this
Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 AM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
Umm,did you read my thread on police interceptors about the police advice on taxing a vehicle?wouldnt say their the brightest of people myself,the good ones usually get fast tracked into CID etc.
Good god man, do you really believe this
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

for them so say they the fucker must have been proper flat and fucked, but id argue over 3 points personaly for under inflated tyre